Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD: '4x4' launch on course for second half, but not immediately

Xtreme News Addict

AMD: '4x4' launch on course for second half, but not immediately

Austin (TX) - AMD spokesperson Damon Muzny told TG Daily this afternoon that prospects remain good for the company's upcoming double-dual-core platform, code-named "4x4," but that a product launch for that platform "is not on the immediate horizon in the desktop segment."
    but not immediately

Id be a good idea to release something soon

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/08/18/am...r_second_half/

Xtreme Mentor
    I wish they would, but I have seen no plans for it.
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme Addict
    its looking like 4x4 was just something that some engineer thought up of while sitting on the toilet.. i really cant believe amd got caught with their pants down this bad... if they just maintained their decency and not release such rushed products, rig some benchmarks in japan to make it look like theyre slightly competetive with intel in performance, or pay people like nn_step to post crap on forums, it wouldve been fine and just an off-period, but this stuff makes it seem like they are desperate...
    Core i7 920 3849B028 4.2ghz cooled by ek hf | 6gb stt ddr3 2100 | MSI HD6950 cf cooled by ek fc | Evga x58 e760 Classified | 120gb G.Skill Phoenix Pro | Modded Rocketfish case + 1200w toughpower | mcp 655 pump + mcr 320 + black ice pro II

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cky2k6
    its looking like 4x4 was just something that some engineer thought up of while sitting on the toilet.. i really cant believe amd got caught with their pants down this bad... if they just maintained their decency and not release such rushed products, rig some benchmarks in japan to make it look like theyre slightly competetive with intel in performance, or pay people like nn_step to post crap on forums, it wouldve been fine and just an off-period, but this stuff makes it seem like they are desperate...
    rofl
    Rig:
    Pentium D 805 3.8 GHz and counting, w/Big Typhoon (hopefully E6600 at christmas)
    eVga 7900GT KO Reload, 508/1525 stock volts
    MOBO SWITCH! P5B deluxe
    2 GB Patriot ddr2-667 4-4-4-12
    Antec NeoHE 550
    250GB Seagate 7200.10
    Thermaltake Soprano w/2xAspire 120mm and 1xThermaltake 90mm
    Dell 19'' LCD monitor
    Heat

I am Xtreme
    I kind of saw how amd was going to get caught by intel, but i dont think they got caught with thier pants down, not by a longshot.

A64 sales are stronger then ever, and because they aren't rolling out new products, they can mass produce thier current line for dirt cheap prices, keeping them competitive... not to mention that before C2D's release, AMD was just filling the bank with cores selling at what must have been huge profit margins. If they can still profit off of an X2 3800 after droping its price from $350 to $150, the margin had to be huge.

AMD is still growing in the server market, and the way that the chips act in server enviroments they still have an edge over intel ATM. So i dont think AMD got caught so bad at all. All that 4x4 is going to be is a couple server cpu's on a server motherboard thats SLI capable... They arent going to make any engineereing changes at all.

Now right now getting an AMD proc is the last thing on my mind but you have to admit business for them doesnt look to shabby.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Revv23
    All that 4x4 is going to be is a couple server cpu's on a server motherboard thats SLI capable... They arent going to make any engineereing changes at all.
    thats where the engineer on toilet comment came from, it was basically just a last second route that was easy for amd to take. all this business that theyre doing is the result of the past few years, so it doesnt change the fact that they seem desperate for at least the next year. i mean, leaving nn_step aside, whats up with that benchmark in japan? that was pretty low on amd's part, and not soemthing a healthy company would do. it seems like theyre just scrambling for quick fixes to minimize the core 2 duo ass whooping, you would have thought in 5 years they wouldve had an answer better than an mp system followed by a k8 core revision with a few advancements. even k10 which was supposed to follow k8l seems to be dead. maybe with ati under their belt soon, theyre focusing on mini core development, but thats at least 5 years away.
    Core i7 920 3849B028 4.2ghz cooled by ek hf | 6gb stt ddr3 2100 | MSI HD6950 cf cooled by ek fc | Evga x58 e760 Classified | 120gb G.Skill Phoenix Pro | Modded Rocketfish case + 1200w toughpower | mcp 655 pump + mcr 320 + black ice pro II

Xtreme Cruncher
    Why don't you just STFU
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Aussie God
    Hehe, I dont think he's getting paid by AMD
    He just likes AMD... (and DDR3)

Lead_head: I think its this part thats causes the jokes, 9,574 (26.95 posts per day).
    Last edited by M.Beier; 08-20-2006 at 07:53 PM.
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme Addict
    i would prefer him to...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier
    Hehe, I dont think he's getting paid by AMD
    He just likes AMD... (and DDR3)
    he could like it all he wants, it doesnt give him the right to be a pretentious and pretending like he knows something that we all dont, without posting any proof of his theories whatsoever, and somehow all the people with tons of connections on this forum are somehow unaware of amd's secret plans... didnt he say ddr3 was coming this year?

I am Xtreme
    thats where the engineer on toilet comment came from, it was basically just a last second route that was easy for amd to take. all this business that theyre doing is the result of the past few years, so it doesnt change the fact that they seem desperate for at least the next year. i mean, leaving nn_step aside, whats up with that benchmark in japan? that was pretty low on amd's part, and not soemthing a healthy company would do. it seems like theyre just scrambling for quick fixes to minimize the core 2 duo ass whooping, you would have thought in 5 years they wouldve had an answer better than an mp system followed by a k8 core revision with a few advancements. even k10 which was supposed to follow k8l seems to be dead. maybe with ati under their belt soon, theyre focusing on mini core development, but thats at least 5 years away.

Yeah AMD seems to have hit some engineering speedbumps... K9 scrapped, K8l and K10 delayed...

Still i dont think its desperate, intel did the same thing when they were down, everyone fakes benchmarks it seems like, do i approve? not one bit, but i dont think AMD is desperate, not by a long shot.

Xtreme Member
    I always welcome new products...bring it on

CPU Z:2700 2k1:27952 2k3:12282 2k5:5763 PCM05 AQ3
    Opteron 165 s939_____OCZ RAM/PSU_____BBATI X800xl

Xtreme News Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead Head
    Why don't you just STFU
    Dont be startin no flame wars in my presious news section damnit, take it to the Speak freely forum.

Or I just might kick you all in the ass

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle
    Dont be startin no flame wars in my presious news section damnit, take it to the Speak freely forum.

Or I just might kick you all in the ass

Sounds kinky, ill get the ultraglide.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    hmmm dont know about this mobos as far as i know should be ready for 2007 not for 2006

Xtreme Addict
    yeah, 2007 seems about right, as amd made this thing up as it went. it seemed nobody even heard of it when it first got announced.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I kind of saw how amd was going to get caught by intel, but i dont think they got caught with thier pants down, not by a longshot.

A64 sales are stronger then ever, and because they aren't rolling out new products, they can mass produce thier current line for dirt cheap prices, keeping them competitive... not to mention that before C2D's release, AMD was just filling the bank with cores selling at what must have been huge profit margins. If they can still profit off of an X2 3800 after droping its price from $350 to $150, the margin had to be huge.

AMD is still growing in the server market, and the way that the chips act in server enviroments they still have an edge over intel ATM. So i dont think AMD got caught so bad at all. All that 4x4 is going to be is a couple server cpu's on a server motherboard thats SLI capable... They arent going to make any engineereing changes at all.

Now right now getting an AMD proc is the last thing on my mind but you have to admit business for them doesnt look to shabby.
    Some interesting points there. I get the feeling that AMD has given up the performance crown for a while and 4x4 might just have been a parting shot to stop at least some people going away from them to Conroe straight off. It might still happen though, but I do not think it will be cost effective.

As you say though where AMD are doing well is reacting strongly to the price reductions by Intel. They got rid of 1MB cache so meaning they can make more chips and make them more cheaply, they will be going to 65nm soon which does the same, they have cheapish AM2 motherboards that should be able to go to quad core so meaning your $ now potentiallygoes along way. Meanwhile Intel still has to sell it's "bad" chips cheaply against AMD's good cheap chips. Conroe still rules though of course.

What will bite AMD is if they have to start slashing the costs on their server chips if Intel gets aggressive with Woodcrest.

Regards
    Andy

Xtreme Mentor
    doubt it.
    maybe it was rushed but i think that this was in the planning for a while but they didnt really start working onit since recently.

This 4x4 is the follow up of Athlon MP.
    Ever since A64 came some people nagged about that they wanted A64MP.
    And im shure that there were alos some companies that liked them.

maybe some here think that 4x4 is purely for the high-end market with big pockets but im shure that also certain companies will buy it.

just figure it out urself. a server opteron costs more then a X2 at the same speed.
    ECC ram costs more then normal ram.
    AMD said they wont make Am2 1MB CPUs cause for desktop stuff the extra 512KB is hardly noticeble. But AM2 Opterons will have 1MB cache so would be perfect for server usage.
    Ya atm 4x4 will only be able to have 2 dual cores but in time can also have 2 quad cores etc.

IF proper boards appear for 4x4 and if AMD is smart enough to market it properly it will sell as a cheap alternative to Xeons and Opterons.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

Xtreme Mentor
    I'm not impressed with 4x4 myself, but it's better than nothing i suppose.
    Intel Rig
    2500K @ 4.8 Ghz 1.304v | ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3| 2x4Gb Ripjaws DDR3-2133 | Radeon 7970 @ 1250/1800 | Corsair HX850 PSU
    Custom Water of course

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolute_0
    I'm not impressed with 4x4 myself, but it's better than nothing i suppose.
    thats why i think 4x4 is aimed towards some businesses.
    most of us wont have a need for 2 dual cores or 2 quad cores but there are companies that will have use for that power.

Didnt AMD originally come with socket 939 Opterons for companies so i think that 4x4 could be an evolution of that.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

Xtreme Member
    i wish i can get paid for spamming in XS
    lol jk

Xtreme Member
    Yeah AMD seems to have hit some engineering speedbumps... K9 scrapped, K8l and K10 delayed...

Still i dont think its desperate, intel did the same thing when they were down, everyone fakes benchmarks it seems like, do i approve? not one bit, but i dont think AMD is desperate, not by a long shot.
    K9 was never scrapped as K9 is in effect K8L. The term was merely dropped for obvious reasons.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    IF (big IF) the CPUs are cheap, 4x4 is the cheapest way of getting "quad"-core, and then it can offer itself up as the cheapest way to get "octo"-core.

The price of extra RAM and the cooling will be the main inconveniences
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Addict
    Guys, 4x4 is just a relabeled Opteron system.

As far as AMD is concerned they could have launched this month but since there aren't any motherboards on the market it would be kinda pointless.

They are just waiting for the motherboard makers to catch up. It'll be done when it's done.

People seem to think the market can change overnight. No matter how good Conroe seems to be, Intel still has a bunch of Pentium D's to offload and there are a lot of politics involved.

Edit:

People shouting it's too expensive or uses too much power etc: They said the same about SLI, that seems to sell pretty good now doesn't it?
    The world vs the USA: The whole world hates you!
    USA: Why?? Why does the whole world hate us?
    The world: Because the whole world hates you, and you don't even know why!

Wanna look under my kilt?
    LOL the new cards are gonna re-ignite that arguement!
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast