Thread: Dell & Amd

Xtreme Mentor

Exclamation Dell & Amd

http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/10579

15% of desktop is respectable amount of PC market share.
    But 18% of notbooks is even bigger news!

YouTube Addict
    AMD is having a wonderful financial year
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    AMD is having a wonderful financial year
    Now is clear how they can afford buying ATI

Xtreme Addict
    now if theyre pulling this off with an outdated chip and amongst enormous manufacturing turmoil, i would be really worried if i was intel when amd/ati get their act together. come 2007 and k8l, and intel will just see its server marketshare evaporate, k8l for desktop in 2008 probably wont have that effect, but the notebook version will probably further eat away at intel. intel will still probably have the overall performance lead when nehalem comes out, but what do most people care, the majority of the money is in servers/desktops/joe sixpack $500 desktops.
    Core i7 920 3849B028 4.2ghz cooled by ek hf | 6gb stt ddr3 2100 | MSI HD6950 cf cooled by ek fc | Evga x58 e760 Classified | 120gb G.Skill Phoenix Pro | Modded Rocketfish case + 1200w toughpower | mcp 655 pump + mcr 320 + black ice pro II

Xtreme Mentor
    why 18% of laptops? thats alot specialy seeing Intels laptop solution uses less power ornot?
    or is Dell using AMD for for 18% of the laptops cause AMDs package is so much cheaper?
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream
    why 18% of laptops? thats alot specialy seeing Intels laptop solution uses less power ornot?
    or is Dell using AMD for for 18% of the laptops cause AMDs package is so much cheaper?

turion's TDP is about the same as CD... and your second answer is probably on the money.

Xtreme Addict
    The Turion X2 has a bit higher TDP as the Core Duo CPUs. But since AMD has the memory controller integrated and Intel doesn't for the entire system it about evens out. (Intel is prolly a bit more power hungry overall, but the difference is minimal).

Performance is about equal as well so that's fine.

Dell is doing very good at this!

(And makes me laugh at all the people shouting Intel owns and AMD is dead)
    The world vs the USA: The whole world hates you!
    USA: Why?? Why does the whole world hate us?
    The world: Because the whole world hates you, and you don't even know why!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Probably because Intel is giving Apple preferrential orders for Merom...
    Last edited by Sumanji; 08-17-2006 at 05:52 PM.

VENOM: DFI LP LT X38-T2R ~ Core 2 Duo E8600 @ 4.00GHz ~ 4GB OCZ Blade LV DDR2-1150 ~ Radeon R9 380 4GB ~ Crucial C300 64GB ~ Seasonic X-750 ~ Dell U2913WM 29" ~ Win 7 Ultimate x64
    LAIKA: Alienware Alpha R2 ~ Core i5-6400T @ 2.20GHz / 2.80GHz ~ 16GB Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2133 ~ GeForce GTX 960 4GB ~ Crucial MX300 275GB ~ LG OLED55B7A 55" TV ~ Win 10 Home x64
    BLADE: Razer Blade 14" (2013) ~ Core i7-4702HQ @ 2.20GHz / 3.20GHz ~ 8GB DDR3-1600 ~ GeForce GTX 765M 2GB ~ Samsung 840 EVO mSATA 500GB ~ Win 7 Ultimate x64

Xtreme Addict
    this is wonderful news! finally, the last and final obstacle for AMD company. this comes in light of such strong showing by intel of late too, so the announcement is quite surprising.
    --===== proud owner of new razor tarantula gaming keyboard =====--

YouTube Addict
    Because:
    1) AMD is cutting Dell a Sweet deal
    2) Intel has been ignoring Dell
    3) Dell wants more Money
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Hopefully this is only a stepping stone for AMD. If they can land deals with other pre-made computer companies such as compaq, then they'd really be doing well (not that they arent now).
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Addict
    they have had a contract with compaq for ages now... the only company that remains an amd virgin is sony. gateway doesnt really do it online, but it sells retail amd systems. hp/compaq amd emachines have been doing lots of amd sales.
    Core i7 920 3849B028 4.2ghz cooled by ek hf | 6gb stt ddr3 2100 | MSI HD6950 cf cooled by ek fc | Evga x58 e760 Classified | 120gb G.Skill Phoenix Pro | Modded Rocketfish case + 1200w toughpower | mcp 655 pump + mcr 320 + black ice pro II

well anyone who owns amd stock is jumping through hoops right now.

Xtreme Addict
    And all those people whining about AMD never having enough capacity for a company like Dell...

AMD is entering a whole new level of existance
    The world vs the USA: The whole world hates you!
    USA: Why?? Why does the whole world hate us?
    The world: Because the whole world hates you, and you don't even know why!

Xtreme Addict
    unfortunately, that transition will cost us enthusiasts, but oh well. amd will get back to us with its new architecture after k8l and i think it will be hopefully faster than whatever comes after nehalem. this isnt the case for servers ofcourse, intel will probably never catch up, csi will be years too late and amd will have moved on to coherent ht by then...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by cky2k6
    unfortunately, that transition will cost us enthusiasts, but oh well. amd will get back to us with its new architecture after k8l and i think it will be hopefully faster than whatever comes after nehalem. this isnt the case for servers ofcourse, intel will probably never catch up, csi will be years too late and amd will have moved on to coherent ht by then...
    yup, hence DDR2 and AM2.
    --===== proud owner of new razor tarantula gaming keyboard =====--

Xtreme Addict
    Dell would have made a lot more money if they started working with AMD before the C2D release.

Xtreme Member
    Official Dell announcement makes no mention of laptops only mentions desktops and increased server lines?

Xtreme Addict
    And another advantage over the Yonahs and Dothans is that Turion can do 64-bit processing, for Intel this will come with Merom and that is still to be launched.

Xtreme Cruncher

Dell Dimension desktops could ship with 65nm AMD Athlon’s

http://www.fabtech.org/content/view/1757/2/

Dell announced yesterday that it would increase the number of AMD microprocessor options it would offer customers with the inclusion of Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64-bit PC processor, in its mainstream Dimension range of desktop PC's.

According to reliable sources that have recently visited AMD's fab's in Dresden, the microprocessor company is currently in production with its 65nm process at its 300mm facility, Fab 36. The sources noted that 65nm 300mm wafers are now shipping, indicating that the launch of Athlon based Dimension's in September as confirmed by Dell during its conference call with financial analysts yesterday, could be some of the first PC's to use the next generation process technology from AMD.

However, the unit levels are not expected to be significant as a million plus Athlon's are believed to have been ordered by Dell, which indicates that current 90nm node MPU's will form the bulk of shipments until the 65nm process ramps more aggressively later in the year.
    So it seems AMD's 65nm production is on track .We may see what RevG can do in terms OC as soon someone takes a risk and buy a DELL ^^

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brentpresley
    Merom has already been "launched". It was just not shipping in volume till this month. Dell is expected to announce its Merom-based laptops at the end of this month.

And this isn't personal, but WHO CARES about 64-bit on the laptop front? Seriously, aside from a VERY few extreme users, there is no point for it now. Even less than there is for it on the desktop.
    Is 64 bit a part of "Vista Ready" branding? Not sure, but if it is, its a selling point for the AMD's over the yonahs.

Ebay Hater
    Ah, let us hope the merom chips are available in macs before the 7th of october, I want my student discount and my free ipod

Interesting, but with the performance of the SUN servers utilising teh new opterons, no doubt DELL has an eye for those.
    In short, both AMD and NVIDIA discovered that their next-generation graphics cards are superior to each others' last-generation graphics cards.

Xtreme Mentor
    Merom has already been "launched". It was just not shipping in volume till this month. Dell is expected to announce its Merom-based laptops at the end of this month.

And this isn't personal, but WHO CARES about 64-bit on the laptop front? Seriously, aside from a VERY few extreme users, there is no point for it now. Even less than there is for it on the desktop.
    I think many programmers and linux users will prefer 64bit cpu in their laptops.
    For office use you are completly RIGHT!
    I'm lucky to test Acer 5102WLMi laptops based on turion TL-50. Very nice and cheap laptops (UK price 530 pounds), but what it's interesting are OC capabilities! From stock 1.6GHz you can go straight to 2GHz (250FSB/667DDR2 4-4-4-12)! It's simply amazing! Now i'm waiting for bulldozer.
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorry
    The Turion X2 has a bit higher TDP as the Core Duo CPUs. But since AMD has the memory controller integrated and Intel doesn't for the entire system it about evens out. (Intel is prolly a bit more power hungry overall, but the difference is minimal).

Performance is about equal as well so that's fine.

Dell is doing very good at this!

(And makes me laugh at all the people shouting Intel owns and AMD is dead)
    until merom at the least... energy use will still be about equal though...

I wouldn't be surpised if a merom based system cost about twice as much as a turion system though....

Xtreme Cruncher
    He he, I'll take a pinmodded Dothan @ 2.4GHz any day instead of a 64-bit Turion (but I can see the utility of it for programmers).

Now if I could just figure out a way to OC the wife's Core Duo . . .
    if you find it let me know please
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE