Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 FAQ

Has anyone figured out how to read the chipset temperature?

When I use Speedfan to read the Temp3 sensor, it reports -2C. When I set it to read from the diode instead of as a thermistor, it gives me a reading at around 100C! It fluctuates between 98-100C. I hope this isn't a real reading! That is freaking hot!

I'm also having trouble getting Speedfan to report fan RPMs - they are way off. Easytunes and the BIOS seem to report accurate speeds, but I haven't figured out the proper fan multipliers and dividers - I find a set that seems to work, but when the fan speeds up or slows down, it goes way out again.

BTW, if you're having trouble with the system fan always at 100% with the official F5 BIOS, try installing Speedfan and changing the PWM2 fan mode (Go into the Advanced tab and select the IT8712F chip) from ON/OFF to SmartGuardian and see if that fixes it. Normally PWM2 is in SmartGuardian mode by default, but I'm guessing that the official F5 BIOS mistakenly changes it to ON/OFF.
    Last edited by Rectal Prolapse; 09-23-2006 at 11:17 PM.

I can't get S.M.A.R.T. to work, even with the F5 BIOS.

Anyone got S.M.A.R.T. working? It works on my DS3 server, but not my DQ6 workstation.

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/ with cygwin install, smartctl is under util. Then just turn on SMART in your BIOS and then use smartctl from within cygwin. Claim is that 70% of hard disk failures give some early symptoms, which S.M.A.R.T. detects.

Can also use http://www.rsdsoft.com/hdd-thermometer/ for just hard disk temperatures.

man smartd.conf
    man smartctl
    man smartd
    /usr/sbin/smartctl -s on -o on -S on /dev/hda /usr/sbin/smartctl -a /dev/hda
    /usr/sbin/smartctl -a /dev/hda
    E6600 stepping 6 rev B2
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6
    G.Skill PC2-6400 F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ
    ASUS EN7300GT
    Arctic Cooler Pro 7
    Enermax Liberty 500W PSU
    XP Pro SP2

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Rectal Prolapse
    Has anyone figured out how to read the chipset temperature?

When I use Speedfan to read the Temp3 sensor, it reports -2C. When I set it to read from the diode instead of as a thermistor, it gives me a reading at around 100C! It fluctuates between 98-100C. I hope this isn't a real reading! That is freaking hot!

I'm also having trouble getting Speedfan to report fan RPMs - they are way off. Easytunes and the BIOS seem to report accurate speeds, but I haven't figured out the proper fan multipliers and dividers - I find a set that seems to work, but when the fan speeds up or slows down, it goes way out again.
    I gave up on SpeedFan a while ago as it was totally inaccurate bar a temp or two.

My suggestion, get Everest. Ever since MBM seemed to stop development I switched as this program is regularly updated and shows heaps of details. OSD and tray icons 'to boot'. Excellent program. Try their trial out before you have to buy. Check out their beta version here: http://www.lavalys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1778

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve
    I can't get S.M.A.R.T. to work, even with the F5 BIOS.

Anyone got S.M.A.R.T. working? It works on my DS3 server, but not my DQ6 workstation.

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/ with cygwin install, smartctl is under util. Then just turn on SMART in your BIOS and then use smartctl from within cygwin. Claim is that 70% of hard disk failures give some early symptoms, which S.M.A.R.T. detects.

Can also use http://www.rsdsoft.com/hdd-thermometer/ for just hard disk temperatures.

man smartd.conf
    man smartctl
    man smartd
    /usr/sbin/smartctl -s on -o on -S on /dev/hda /usr/sbin/smartctl -a /dev/hda
    /usr/sbin/smartctl -a /dev/hda
    I've had SMART working before. Haven't installed any SMART apps since my rebuild but it definately worked before. On F5 now, when I get around to it I'll reinstall SMARTgaurdian and let you know how it goes.

What version of Everest are you running? Mine (Ultimate Edition 2006 3.00.626) said "you've got a Broadwater chipset and we don't fully support that yet."

Also, it said something about GPU Diode temperature 71 degrees CELSIUS. Is that cool?
    Last edited by BigSteve; 09-29-2006 at 12:44 AM.
    E6600 stepping 6 rev B2
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6
    ASUS EN7300GT
    Arctic Cooler Pro 7
    Enermax Liberty 500W PSU
    XP Pro SP2

Xtreme Member
    Anyone with a DQ6 - can you check vcore and vdimm with a DMM? What's real vcore idle/load when you set it in BIOS as 1.5V (or alike)? What's vdimm idle/load when you set +0.5V in bios? Please use the latest bios F5. TIA.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve
    What version of Everest are you running? Mine (Ultimate Edition 2006 3.00.626) said "you've got a Broadwater chipset and we don't fully support that yet."

Also, it said something about GPU Diode temperature 71 degrees CELSIUS. Is that cool?
    Currently running build 3.01.715 Beta. Board/CPU fully supported (build 652 and up, I think).

GPU temps are typically much higher and meant to be able to run hotter too-not sure what their max. is though. This sensor is also a diode like the CPU predessessors to the Core 2 Duo and is therefore cooler than the digital thermal sensor that we see on C2D 'cores'.

OK Everest is great, and Everest seems to be able to use SMART to detect my drive temperature, so cygwin's smartctl must be to blame. Just wanted to note that these many nVidia graphics cards seem to differ a lot in their heat sinks. I suspect the ASUS EN7300GT runs a bit hotter than most. This becomes an issue since many of these cards are very OC-able. Anyone got a GPU cooler they like?
    E6600 stepping 6 rev B2
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6
    ASUS EN7300GT
    Arctic Cooler Pro 7
    Enermax Liberty 500W PSU
    XP Pro SP2

anyone notice if the graphics and memory settings set to "Turbo" makes any actual difference in performance?

Gigabyte GA 965P-DQ6 hangs trying to load Windows if SATA drives plugged into either yellow or purple inputs.

I have Windows XP Pro installed on a Seagate 300 GB IDE drive. This is my root (C) drive plugged into the Primary IDE channel with my DVD drive as a slave. I have two additional Seagate SATA drives, a 300 and 750 GB. I have successfully installed the Intel Matrix drivers and Device Manager reports no problems with them or anything else.

If I connect nothing to either the yellow or purple SATA inputs the system will boot Windows and run normally. If I connect either the 300 or 750 SATA driver regardless to the yellow or purple input, things are still OK. However once I plug both the 300 and 750 in, again regardless which ports... the system goes through nornal boot until just before it should enter Windows then it stops and reports it can't load OS.

If I plug in yet another SATA drive in a external case this works correctly alone. It seems no matter what I do I can't get more than one SATA drive to run in AHCI mode.

Since I want to keep my boot IDE drive (C) and NOT tranfer Windows to either of the SATA drivers how should BIOS be set?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by billy-boy; 01-11-2007 at 06:02 AM.

UPDATE

I found a way that seems to work but it doesn't make much sense. For some odd reason I wish somebody could explain if I start over, take off all SATA drives,then reboot I can get back into Windows. Next I shut-down add one drive to any of the yellow SATA ports, again boot, ok, this point I got one SATA drive working. I need to shut down again, then add the second drive to either of the PURPLE ports, reboot and Success.

If I try to add both at once, same stupid hang and can't load OS message.

Talk about silly or am I missing something? Now I'm afraid to try adding a third drive in an external case out of fear the system will lock up again. I know I'm working in ACHI mode becasue at boot the BIOS says so and I can see a huge increase in both the drives performance.
    Last edited by billy-boy; 01-11-2007 at 12:55 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I am guessing that each time you connect a SATA drive to the purple (Gigabyte/JMicron) controller, the BIOS is setting this device as the first bootup drive.

Personally I run 4 SATA drives, in AHCI mode, all off the yellow Intel Matrix controller (better than the JMicron).

Plug all your drives in any way you want, but upon first boot after connecting the drives go into your BIOS and review the settings, particularly the boot order. I'll bet that it has reset itself to one of your SATA drives.

Well, I updated to Microsoft's Vista business version a few days ago and all kinds of problems with my SATA drives on my GA-965P-DQ6.

1. has anybody had any better luck? My configuration is a 250 GB Seagate on the IDE channel with a DVD burner as slave, 2 SATA drives on the SATA
    controllers, one a 300 GB, the other a 750 GB.

I get the usual no OS found error unless I shift back to IDE mode. The SATA drives work this way, now all attempts to try the suggestons posted here that worked in XP fail in Vista. I did just install the latest Intel controller drivers from the Gigabyte site.

2. Even worse, another SATA in a external encloser than worked fine as a SATA drive under XP can't even be seen by Vista unless I switch it to USB 2.0 mode as the interface.
    mode.

3. For anybody that has this board and Vista can you check how Device Manager shows the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers... Mine now shows 3 channel 0 lines
    and another 3 channel 1 lines plus lines for the ICH8 and ICH4 2 port serial controllers.

It won't let me disable any of those lines. What a mess! I have a revision 1.0 board, lucky me.
    Last edited by billy-boy; 02-15-2007 at 12:16 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345