Thread: Where can I buy 12 volt Rheostats, other than Sidewinder?

Xtreme Addict

Angry Where can I buy 12 volt Rheostats, other than Sidewinder?

Go here first so you know what I'm talking about before reading further:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/sirh25wa.html

Nearly $30?!?! Thats insane! And the nob for over $5 is like adding insult to injury!

That would be $137.80 if I wanted to make a 4 controller panal!

I'm not paying that!

Isn't there somewhere else I can buy individual rheostats for custom projects!?
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Member
    Dont bother with rheostats they inefficient you want to look at linear voltage regulators or even switching there not hard to build and would be better for what you intend. And they wouldnt even cost $30 depending on the regualtors used.
    Does anyone know where i can get bananas like this the only ones I can get don't dance and go black after a few weeks

Xtreme Addict
    I don't want switches, I want to tame my Delta fans so they don't drive me insane when I don't need them on high. Also, whats a regulator?

I don't know how to make stuff from scratch or anything like that, I'm not that advanced. I've never even picked up a soldering iron... and to be honest, I really don't want to. I just want to know where to find something I can tame my fans with, that can adjust with lots of different speeds, not just slow, medium, and high.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Gaming News
    Judaeus look for 5.25" bay fan controllers made by Sunbeam. They are $11 if you look in the right places. So for $22 you can control 8 fans. And if the ultra bright LEDs on them annoy you then they can be pulled out by hand (they aren't soldered)
    I'm back....

Steak for Breakfast
    lol that IS pretty expensive for a single delta controller.
    Yes I agree with a regulator you'll save a lot of money, they are the flat square bars with 3 leads you see on the motherboard and in PSUs.

This is how simple they get:

btw Sanborn, those deltas draw more power than a little sunbeam can handle, unless they have new'er, more powerful products now.

Xtreme Addict
    I still don't understand what exactly a regulator works, what the interface it like, how it controls them, and how I install them, not to mention where to get them and how much they cost. There's a lot your not telling me.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I agree with Sanborn, the Sunbeam Rheobus is the best bang for the buck fan controller. You can get it HERE for $11.
    Intel i7 3770K @4.7GHz (1.224v) | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | 8GB Samsung DDR3-1866 | EVGA GTX 780 Classified
    Corsair HX850 | X-Fi Titanium HD | ATCS 840 Black

Apogee XT | DDC-2 w/ XSPC Top | XSPC RX360

Xtreme Addict
    I need to fit these on a 3.5 panel, so please stop suggesting the one by Sunbeamtech. I'm already upset as it is over having to replace my Vantec nexus, and finding out no one makes anything nice, so please stop reminding me about that nice controller I can't use!

Xtreme Member
    The name of the package it to220

I dont know how many amps you want to control but there is a 1amp verison lm317t, LM350 3 amp version and a the LM338 a 5 amp version.

You can get higher amp regulators but it would be better to use a switching regulator or pwm.

All the parts can be found on ebay or radioshack very cheaply

If you need any help send me a pm and I will see what i can do
    Does anyone know where i can get bananas like this the only ones I can get don't dance and go black after a few weeks

Xtreme Addict
    How do they work? Do you use a nob? I don't see any human interface on it...

Xtreme Addict
    Oh wait... I see where this is going. You guys think Im going to make something. ROFL I think not.... I just want to buy something already made. I don't even own a soldering iron... nor do I want to.

Hmm I got one that goes in a 3.5" bay off pctoys.com awhile back, did some moding too it was like 15$ I think on clearance.

Works well but I can tell you that I would be totally happy with a swich that can cut from 12v to 7v. I noticed thats about the amount of power you want to have to keep any fan happy and running but with a significant reduction in noise level and still good cfm's.

http://pctoys.com/fancontrollers.html
    check it out they have 3.5"s I also recomend from personal experience you go ahead and kick out the extra money for a digital one, the analog ones make a noise that I can hear when I turn the fans down too low.
    Last edited by 古強者死神; 08-27-2006 at 07:54 PM.
    Specs: Q6600 @ 3.65ghz 1.42v / Asus P5Q Deluxe / 2x2gb Mushkin DDR2@810 / PC P&C 750w / 2x ATI 4850 Crossfire @ 710/1050

Xtreme Addict
    I found a place that sells a bunch of rheostats... but they measure them in ohm... I have no idea what I would need for a 20watt fan, or a 12watt fan, or a 25watt fan. I have no clue what any of this means! ARG! Can someone explain to me how to know how many ohm a rheostat should be?

Xtreme Member
    hmm

i may be wrong here... but say you get a rheo... you would take 12v, and times that the ohm rating.

that should give you an idea of how many watts it is.

Xtreme Addict
    Aha! I found this ohm calculator:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/ohmslaw.html

Very useful!

Xtreme Member
    ah HA!

i was right!

cool site.

Aint No Real Gangster
    why not just make a switch to switch your fans between 5v and 12v?

thats what i did for all of my fans, i have about 5amps of fans running from the single switch. i can control the speed of EVERY fan in my computer with it.

seriously though, if you work with computers you should deffiently own a soldering iron. pick up a cheap one for 10$ and start practicing.
    Specs
    Asus 780i Striker II Formula
    Intel E8400 Wolfdale @ 4050Mhz
    2x2GB OCZ Platinum @ 1200Mhz 5-4-3-18
    MSI 5850 1000Mhz/5000Mhz
    Wester Digital Black 2TB
    Antec Quatro 850W

Cooling
    Swiftech Apogee
    Swiftech MCP-600
    HardwareLabes Black Ice Extreme 2

Audio Setup
    X-fi w/AD8066, Clock mod, & polymer caps > PPAV2 > Grado SR60 & Grado SR325i & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro & Beyerdynamic DT990 & AKG K701 & Denon D2000

Xtreme Addict
    Because I like to fine tune them. I like lots of choices in CFM vs dBA. Haven't seen you around much... school?