Page 326 of 340 FirstFirst ... 226276316323324325326327328329336 ... LastLast
Results 8,126 to 8,150 of 8487

Thread: ASUS P5W DH - Problems + Fixes Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
    Has anyone recently attempted to contact asus about adding TRD and TRFC to the memory timings? How would I do this myself ? Or has everyone just given up? I honestly don't think this would be hard for them to add...IF someone can find the right people to talk to.

Surely someone here has contacts with Asus?
    memset will allow to do these settings. But it is always better to have it in BIOS.
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3.52 GHz
    Asus P5W DH with 2801 BIOS
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2X1GB PC2 8000 @ CL5 , 1067 MHz
    OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU cooler
    XFX 8800GT
    Stacker 830
    Antec Neo HE 500W

My first design : Dunington @ Intel

Falkentyne, I'm going to contact Asus about adding more memory timings to BIOS today. I don't think this'll change anything but the more people write about this, the more chances we have that they'll make new BIOS.
    Last edited by tomcug; 01-18-2009 at 10:29 PM.
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 3.8 GHz, 400x9.5, 1.34V
    MOBO: Asus P5W DH Deluxe Rev 1.04G, BIOS 2801
    RAM: 2x1GB Team Group Xtreem Dark DDR2 800MHz 4-4-4-12 @ 1000 MHz, 2.1V
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 4770 512 MB CF @ 825/4200 MHz, 1.1V
    HDD: Seagate ST380012ACE, Seagate ST3160815A
    DVD-RAM: Samsung SH-S182D
    PSU: Pentagram Silent Force CAV-620-A12S

Xtreme Addict
    Tom,
    Thanks and please let us know what happens.
    Just adding TRD (performance level) and TRFC to the bios would do wonders. I think the 965 board, the P5B, has those settings, right?
    And it wouldn't be THAT Hard to add...

I wonder why a BIOS modder hasn't attempted this?
    Unless the bios has to be rewritten, but don't most bioses have the registers for this anyway?

I mean, apparently, hyperpath 3 simply does nothing except lower the TRD by 1 (from 6 to 5)....heck if hyperpath3 were REMOVED and replaced with a TRD entry field...

Xtreme Addict
    Tomcug (or anyone): has there been any news?
    It's feeling awfully lonely here...

Well I might as well liven things up by a few things i've observed.

First, Gskill 2x2 GB "Pi" black PC-7200 dimms have no problem in this board, and you can run 1:1 manual timings past 370 FSB. The quad core limitations are holding the memory back. In fact, with the 4:5 (or the other divider), I was able to reach full RAM spec of 450 Mhz with this memory, timings 4-4-4-12, and 2.1 volts (2.0 did not POST), but this required either 1.85 vmch or 1.75 vmch+1.30 vFSB. I was at 338 FSB to reach 450 mhz on the RAM so i forgot what divider thats called; it was second to the one under the 1:1. i know one is 4:5 but what was the other ? So it's good to see that this board can run the RAM at that frequency of 900 mhz. And it's 2 GB dimms too, which is good for people who are memory starved. So if you have a high multiplier chip or unlocked quad core, you're still good to go for some high mhz on a 1.04g board. Too bad it wont get there 1:1 on the quad (i wonder if TRD and TRFC might help things slightly?)

My QX9650 is stable with vdroop mod, at 4 ghz (333 x 12) @ 1.3625vcore (1.344 idle, 1.350 load), or at 4.09 ghz (364 x 11), and vmch 1.55, vfsb=1.20.

Early on in this thread, someone took a multimeter to the Mch and determined that raising the FSB termination voltage affects the vmch voltage directly! It wasn't a fixed value, but it was something like every +.1 vfsb caused the measured vmch value to increase by about 0.8. I cant find the post right now but it was something like 1.60vmch +1.30 vfsb came out to 1.68 vmch measured, and 1.60mch+1.40 vfsb came out to 1.74 vmch.

I've actually confirmed this in a FSB test in how the board is acting with my qx9650. Note I'm using the 1.04g board, serial# 71xxxxx and g0aaY (showing it was made january 2007)

First, absolute max FSB i can use with my QX9650 is about 380 FSB. 380 FSB require 1.85v vmch to pass loop memtest86+ test 5. BUT, i got the same stability by using 1.75v on the vmch WITH increasing the vFSB to 1.30. This seems to support that the vFSB is somehow giving the mch more voltage for some reason.

370 fsb was fine with 1.65v and 364 FSB had zero problems with the lowest 1.55v value.

Note that all these settings were with the RAM running 1:1 with timings 4-4-4-12. Gskill hz D9's (2x1gb) ran as expected. My corsair XMS2's required a volt bump to 2.1 or 2.15v at 380 FSB. The 2x2GB gskills didn't.

390 FSB was not usable. 1.85 vmch with 1.20 (stock) vFSB crashed memtest86+ almost instantly. I mean crashed. 1.30 vFSB (which as above, im sure raised the vmch above 1.90) caused constant errors in test #5 at almost each address.
    1.40 vFSB did a LOT better, with only 3-4 errors per pass on test #5. I fear of how much voltage, without a multimeter, the northbridge is getting here. With 1.50 vfsb, either 390FSB might work, might degrade the QX9650 or cause the entire northbridge to blow up or go into overvolt protection mode, since it would be getting over 2v, if it's following the pattern from the other person's multimeter measurements.

It goes without saying that 400 FSB didn't post. I think I remember it posting with my X6800 but i forgot. If I recall, the "POST" multiplier feature, where the board tries to post at the default multiplier, before reading and setting the requested multiplier, was causing failure to post here, because the board was trying to POST at 400x11 and then switch back to the x9 multiplier. I obviously have no such problem with the high multiplier of 12 on the QX9650, instead it's just the board (GTL signals? reference point?) cant handle the high FSB with a quad, but 380 FSB is still quite nice for such an old board.

I think the comment about the vmch increasing its voltage with a percentage of the vFSB being added may be interesting for some people.

So anyway, it's not the CPU mhz of quads that the board cant handle, it's the FSB limitations by lack of the other two gtl reference dividers that limit quad core overclocking at high FSB. Unlocked CPU's help circumvent this, and 1.04 version (with rectangular shaped northbridge MCH, newer 975X chipset like in the Intel badaxe 2) can overclock FSB on quads more.

It is still unclear whether the 1.04g version has the two missing GTL reference points that freecableguy mentioned that he couldn't find in the board he tested, although he didn't say if that was a 1.02 or 1.04 board.

But its still good news to know that using 2x2GB dimms isnt hurting the FSB overclock any more than the 2x1GB gskills i was using--the Quad is limiting the FSB. I just wonder how 2x4GB would work

I hope this thread doesn't die.....

*edit*
    switched tuniq tower 120 for a TRUE Black 120+NBT Panaflo medium output fan, for my QX9650, and not only did my temps DECREASE at least 10C, but 1.3625v (1.52v real) is once again quad prime stable at 333x12 (4 ghz) thanks to the huge temp reduction. Tuniq Tower cant handle overclocked quads...
    Last edited by Falkentyne; 01-24-2009 at 11:36 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Hehe, new Core 2 E8700 =) 3.5GHz, 10.5 ratio
    http://ark.intel.com/cpu.aspx?groupId=37019

Update: Interesting Intel deleted page on site after a day about E8700.
    Last edited by Yolanda; 01-27-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Tom,
    I mean, apparently, hyperpath 3 simply does nothing except lower the TRD by 1 (from 6 to 5)....heck if hyperpath3 were REMOVED and replaced with a TRD entry field...
    Nope, the main effect of HP3 is to change the strapping on the 975x from 1066 to 800 so simple benchmarks would look better. This of course is overclocking the NB, which as we've all learned is the limiting factor to performance of this MB. The tRD value change (in some versions of the BIOS) also helped improve benchmark results, but that was just IMO a tweak.

I didn't have time but I managed to ask Asus about adding those timings. Now we just have to wait for their answer .

I've just read Asus replay. I've got bad news, the wrote that they won't make new BIOS supporting TRD and TRFC timings change .

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcug View Post
    I've just read Asus replay. I've got bad news, the wrote that they won't make new BIOS supporting TRD and TRFC timings change .
    Relply back, please, and ask about the 40nm voltage issues on the 1.02G boards. See if they have a REASON why the old boards can't put out low voltages...
    P5W DH Deluxe 1.02G
    Q9450 @ various settings like underclocked to 2.32Ghz until a good BIOS comes along...

Xtreme Addict
    Tom, if you call them, -remind- them that the P5B (the LESSER board) has TRD and trfc in the bios, while the P5W does not. Remember you need to reach someone who is higher level than a grunt.

Then, if they still try to play hardline, remind them that the P5W64-WS (i think that's the name of this board?) DOES have these timings, so why doesn't the P5W have it?

Why would they NOT add it to the P5W but add it to a lesser board and a workstation board?

BTW I heard that someone actually flashed a P5W64-WS bios onto a P5WDH and the board actually POSTED with it? I wonder what functionality was lost, though....

Quote Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post
    Relply back, please, and ask about the 40nm voltage issues on the 1.02G boards. See if they have a REASON why the old boards can't put out low voltages...
    ^^

ASUS should be held to account for claiming 40nm compatibility on boards in which half the board revisions don't work properly.

Can't reach Stable 400 mhz bus

Hello, This is my first post but I have followed this thread for a long time. I was previously hitting fsb wall at 360 with my Dual core Conroe E6600 (2.4 Gig) processor.

Following a recommended setting by Tomcug:

CPU Frequency: 400MHz
    DRAM Frequency: 800MHz
    Performance Mode: Auto
    PCI Express Frequency: 100MHz
    PCI Clock Synchronization Mode: 33.33MHz
    Memory Voltage: 2V
    CPU VCore Voltage: Auto
    FSB Termination Voltage: 1.3V
    MCH Chipset Voltage: 1.65V
    ICH Chipset Voltage: 1.05V

I was able to hit 400 mhz bus with cpu core voltage in the 1.6 volt range, however system was not prime 95 stable. I tried higher voltage since my processor was conroe class vs. the penryn in Tomcug's above recommendation. I was unsure how high to push my cpu voltage (maybe higher voltage would make System Prime 95 stable?).

I then thought possibly bios upgrade would help, so I switched from bios version 1707 to version 2801

Now that I am running Bios 2801, I find that I don't know how to adjust the CPU Vcore. I can not change the setting manually- it is stuck on Auto. A note recommends disabling C1E and EIST to be able to adjust CPU VCore

I have Disabled Enhanced C1 Control and Disabled Virtualization Technology.

How do I disable EIST? Are there other settings in this bios version that might be preventing me from adjusting the CPU Vcore.

Also, what are considered safe Vcore ranges for my Conroe class dual core cpu. Any other recommendations for a Stable 400MHZ fsb?

Finally, how do I know what the revision # (1.04g -1.02g) my motherboard is- I might wish to upgrade my cpu to penryn.

Thanks in advance for any support that you can provide- Paul

Xtreme Addict
    voltages are set to auto after a flash; but changing AI settings to manual, saving the bios settings then rebooting will free up voltages.

I think someone said EIST appears if you change cpu ratio control or something, then you can set it back afterwards.

You did clear the cmos, by putting the jumper on the "clear" position (with the power supply unplugged!) for 30 seconds, right?

Your board revision is right above the RAM slots.

Can't reach 400 mhz bus

Thank you Falkentyne for your response.

I have not cleared the cmos, and never have. I just downloaded the bios as a file on my desktop and used the Asus Update utility to install it.

I will have some time to work with this tomorrow. I have never cleared the cmos. If I do, will windows load so I can use the Asus update utility to install, or will clearing the cmos prevent windows loading and have to install from command prompt?

I don't have experience working with command prompt, and have no floppy drive in my computer.

If I need to work from the command prompt, can I save the new bios file to a cd , or flash drive and load it from there?

Thanks Again,

Paul

Xtreme Addict
    First of all, you shouldn't flash from windows. You should only do that if you have NO other options. If something goes wrong, your board could be bricked. There are many explanations on how to flash with ez-flash and putting the bios file on a formatted floppy disk, USB drive or CD.
    Flashing from a bootable floppy or flash drive with AFUDOS does an even more complete flash than Ezflash or asus update;
    You will notice that your overclock profiles are erased if you use AFUDOS; that's how complete the flash is, but in most cases, ezflash is good enough.

Second, clearing cmos has nothing to do with windows.
    You clear cmos only after a bios flash, not BEFORE one.

You clear the cmos after a flash (after the computer reboots, enter the BIOS right after a flash is over and the computer restarts (if you flashed with AFUDOS and a floppy disk, you can power off after it says "Press F10 to reboot, or power off"), then power off, unplug power supply, open case and move cmos RTC jumper to blocks 2-3 for 30 seconds, then put it back on 1-2, replug power, reboot, enter BIOS, set AI overclocking to manual, disable speedstep, eist, etc, then save, exit, enter BIOS again, then you should be able to adjust vcore).

EIST in the CPU subsection of the BIOS is called Intel TM (Thermal Monitoring or something like that).
    This can be set to 'disabled'.
    When everybody calls it by its proper Intel name, but noone uses the Asus-Bios naming, no wonder
    that there are misunderstandings.

Funny thing is, with my E8400, stepping e0, it doens't matter how often I set this (after first having
    cleared my CMOS), I still end up with 'Auto' CPU Voltage (even when following Falkentyne's instructions
    word for word). Plus, when I try to change the multiplier, the P5WDH will not POST: I have to clear CMOS
    again to even be able to enter the Bios. All this on a revision 1.04G motherboard.
    It's bloody annoying.

Xtreme Addict
    Are E0 steppings currently supported?

Multiplier settings (which use EIST to work in the first place) don't work with wolfdales (besides extreme edition Yorks). Search back in the thread; Asus explained they disabled this for wolfdales, but i don't know or remember why.

You may want to send Asus an email about the auto vcore issue.

Xtreme Member
    Hi Guys,

I am so frustrated with the P5W DH Deluxe Asus board.

All of a sudden in the last few days when I turn on the computer after it hasn’t been used overnight, the stupid computer hangs with a black screen, no boot up noise comes up, so I stop and restart the computer, then it hangs on the post, and complains some about Voltage .

Then I go into Bios, and the first 2 drives I have in there aren’t auto-detected, only the 3rd drive and the DVD rom drive. (So obviously it won’t boot, it doesn’t know that there is a boot drive connected)
    But If I restart it again, once or twice, I will get through and it boots into windows just fine.

This is my second board, and the first and now second board are acting flakey after a year and change of usage.

Anyone have any suggestions? Should I flash the Bios to the latest version? Will that somehow make the problem worse? By totally not recognizing the hard drives? The current bios that i have is 1.5 years old, so not the latest.

Sounds like a power supply issue to me. But you could be right too, if it´s a problem with the voltage regulators or caps on the mobo.
    P5Q Q9550 3.62ghz
    8Gb Corsair Q2X8G6400-C4DHX @1066

P5W Q6600 3ghz

P5K E6600 3.2ghz 400fsb

Guys, i need a little help with some overclocking. Here are my specs so far.

E6750 - OC to 3.2ghz. Thermaltake V1 PL Cooler
    Idle at 21-25 Full load 40-45
    Asus P5W DH - Not sure what bios version i am running, but i have updated it several times using asus website.
    2xCorsair 6400 @ 800Mhz
    1x4870 1gb @ 790/1100Mhz
    800W PSU
    24 INCH Monitor 1910x1200
    All volts at stock

Now i want to squeeze a little more juice out of my CPU. But anytime i go slightly over 3.2ghz i get errors in prime within 30 seconds. I have tried 3.3ghz-3.5ghz but i cannot get it stable. I can play games, login to windows etc, but prime crashes almost immediately (error). I have tried CPU volts from stock -1.45 no i don't think its that. I have tried overclocking mem with the cpu overclock to 850mhz-900mhz and upping the volts to 2.05-2.10. I have also tried running the cpu overclocks, and decreasing the mem speed just to rule that out. I have run out of idea's. At the moment, i have settled for 3.2, but i really want to squeeze a little bit more out of it.

I have heard about FSB,MCH,ICH, but i have no idea what there stock value is, or what they mean. I know this motherboard runs hot, so i don't really want to damage it, so i am sceptical about increasing any of those. But if i just have to make a small tweak to get 3.4-3.5ghz then i will do it.

I don't have any money to spend on fans for motherboard cooling at the moment.

Cheers
    Last edited by the_gas; 02-11-2009 at 01:45 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Are you failing prime with small FFT's or are you failing in Blend?
    Does Intel Burn test / Linpack also fail ?

Try removing the northbridge heatsink and the push pins mounting it and the mosfet heatpipes (you will need to remove the motherboard to carefully use tweezers (do NOT damage the pins by pushing too hard) to gently push them in), then use goo-gone or alcohol to remove the caked on "adhesive" stuff on the northbridge and on the back of the heatsink, and be very careful when you do this. You can take a knife if you want, and CAREFULLY, with the help of some alcohol, very slowly help loosen the caked on adhesive compound on the northbridge; this is safe but you have to be very careful; your job is to get the compound removed, not scratch the northbridge. When you're finally done, apply some arctic Ceramique (I would not recommand AS5 because there are too many exposed resistors around) or even some generic white silicone compound, and then remount the heatsink.
    If you have a small fan (they're less than $10) you can screw that into the northbridge.

Then reboot and set the mch voltage to 1.65v then if that's not enough, try 1.75v. Increase FSB termination voltage to 1.30v, and then try 1.40v only if you need to. Do not go to 1.50v.

You can also see your board revision when you're doing this; its written above the RAM slots. All 1.03 and 1.04 boards can go to 1.85 vmch, but it's a bit risky to go that high on the mch, even with it actively cooled; 1.75v should be ok with active cooling.

After you do all of this, Do some memtest86+ loops, and especially focus on test #5. See if you can get that to pass 10 loops; if you can, then your memory and northbridge should be stable.

Then run prime95 small FFT's and try a couple of 5 loop passes of Linpack if you want.

Something to keep in mind: Raising the FSB termination voltage also increases the vmch voltage slightly; about .06v for ever +.1v of FSB. Tested by someone using a DMM. I do not know if this applies to boards with 1.65v max vmch.

Are E0 steppings currently supported?

You are right!

I just had a look at the list of supported CPUs, and the E8400 is in there
    only as stepping C0:

Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.00GHz,1333FSB,L2:6MB,rev.C0)
    Holy cr*p on a cracker!
    They had the CPU with stepping E0 included in that list before, now they
    have taken it out. That explains everything!

A big to ASUS. As the board hasn't seen any new Bios for half a year
    now, I am not counting on this getting fixed ever.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by crishan View Post

You are right!

I just had a look at the list of supported CPUs, and the E8400 is in there
    only as stepping C0:

Holy cr*p on a cracker!
    They had the CPU with stepping E0 included in that list before, now they
    have taken it out. That explains everything!

A big to ASUS. As the board hasn't seen any new Bios for half a year
    now, I am not counting on this getting fixed ever.
    I'm rather sure C1 stepping is fully supported, as I think bios 2801 supported that.

If you look back in the thread, there was a link to an AMI Bios editor, where you can see the cpu stepping "Raw" codes; if you edit bios 2801, you should be able to see the steppings that are supported. I know c1 is, though i don't know which total Wolfies/Yorks are supported. I don't know about E0 though. I also don't know what the raw codes mean. You can check yourself...

To a different issue:

Tomcug: were you able to call Asus about those TRD and TRFC settings?

Guys, i have a E8600 with Revision E0 and bios 2801.

It's fully compatible!

Banchetto 101 | Corsair TX850W V2 | ASUS P5W DH Deluxe | E8600 @ Noctua NH-U12F | 4GB OCZ DDR2 800 OPS Edition | EVGA GTX280 | HP w2408h | SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty | Genius Home Theater 5.1 | PLextor PX-820SA | LiTe-ON LH-20A1S | OCZ RevoDrive 120GB | WD 500GB AAKS | WD 2TB GP 64MB EARX | UPS APC Back-Up RS 1500VA LCD | W7 x64 & sOnY VaIO i3 2.2GHz # 8GB

Xtreme Addict
    vcore settings work down to 1.225v?

Page 326 of 340 FirstFirst ... 226276316323324325326327328329336 ... LastLast