Thread: That one again

Question That one again

Rads in series or parallel ?

WTB
    KMS

PCLincs

Overclocking Guru
    Good Question, I've allways ran mine in series.

My theory, I do it to keep the flow higher and I Use the best Rad at the end to put the Punch in the cooling

OPP

JBELL
    series is better - you are getting MORE surface area where as the parrallel setup would not be nearly as effecient as to the water would not flow through each rad in the same way.

now if you did a dual pump and ran it through each rad after each pump.... then maybe but that would be redundant and clearly a waste of money and space.

imho

hmmm, i thought parallel would be better as each rad would have max dT across it and a parallel config has 1/4 the flow resistance of 2 in series so more circuit velocity & higher block flow too??
    KMS

PCLincs

Overclocking Guru
    I don't know about better flow with a parallel configuration. I know when ever I slpit my loop up and run like cpu, nb, vid card parallel I end up loseing flow as compared to one straight loop.

OPP

yeah running different blocks in parallel would be a flow balancing nightmare but rads should be fine, they work better the bigger the dT so a plus for parallel config as both rads take the same dT whereas a series config would mean much less dT for rad 2. The resistance (calculated basically i know there are more infulences) for series is R1 + R2 so take a fictional figure of 10 for R so R total = 20, for a parallel config using the same 2 rads the total resistance is 1/((1/10)+(1/10)) = 5 so a 1/4 the resistance so although rads prefer slower flow blocks prefer higher flow which will occur as lower circuit resistance means more back pressure means more flow ?? I've just started data logging so i'll collect some results and post em up, wont be to soon though
    KMS

PCLincs

Overclocking Guru
    kms,

So this is all theory or how does it work in a real life setup?
    Just wondering if you've tested both ways, measurments of water temps and eveything. If you do test both ways, measure the water temps before going into the Rads and then after coming out of them.
    I know alot of people could benifit from knowing the best Rad settup, an Optimal rad setup can make all the difference in the World.
    Let us know how it works out

OPP

I 'discussed' this with player0 and he tested it, and made some calculations I believe, parallel or series
    AMD XP1600+ @ 1894MHz (10.5x180) (Vcore: 1.85v (need Vmod)) | ABIT KX7 | samsung PC2700 | Cooled by MachI
    AMD64 3200+ (stock cooled) | 512mb Kingston HyperX | R9800Pro

phase-change.com

Overclocking Guru
    Originally posted by fredperry
    I 'discussed' this with player0 and he tested it, and made some calculations I believe, parallel or series
    Players good at that stuff, now before I read the link one question. Are they calculations or real life testing

OPP

just calcs i'm afraid, i'm struggling to find anyone thats tried both configs, i'll be doing it soon though & documenting it
    KMS

PCLincs

Xtreme Member
    Hi,

I will recieve my D stuff in about 2 weeks and i got an idea.
    It looks more efficiant to run it in split eg. split the line after the pump where on line goes to cpu alone and the other line goes to gpu and NB. Then they join together again before going into the rad and then again to the pump.

My idea is to test that setup with a multimeter/tempmeter on each block and i wil do so both in a straight setup and as srated above to see the differances. But i will only do so on the table, not in the pc itself as i dont know if the flowtrate is good enough to keep it all going in split. I need to test for leak anyway so i can just test for temps at the same time.

Mac
    Problems with your OCZ product? Feel free to PM or email me here

Xtreme Addict
    Anyone have pictures of series and parallel setups so I can see how these work?

Antec TrueBlue 480
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    Asus P5N32-E SLI
    ATI x1950xt 512MB PCI-E
    2x2GB G-Skill PC6400 DDR2
    2x74GB Western Digital Raptors in RAID 0
    2x36GB Western Digital Raptors in RAID 0
    Plextor 8X DVD Writer
    Sennheiser PC150 Headphones