Thread: Ultimate WaterChiller Mobocase

Ultimate WaterChiller Mobocase

Hello everybody,
    Im making the most extreme version of the Drew AC-X that I can. I've used a heat exchanger and plan on running -40 to -50c deionized water and methanol through tygon to my motherboard case that I've constructed so I dont have to condensate proof everything and cover all my pretty work. I have the idea of running some pipettes or some kind or pipes in and out of the case so i can fill it with a known dry gas, but I wanna make sure I get rid of as much of the humidity as I can. I have a few good ideas like run the input horizontal to the base so it whirlpools in the base as long as the pressure is maintained and the gas is heavier than air but I believe it will all just mix anyway. Is the only way to tell that all the humidity is all gone or at least insignificant is to just run the gas till diffusion fractionalizes enough of the moisture out? I supposed I could mount some kind of guage inside. Regardless I wanted to try to get some feedback before I atempt this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Xtreme Mentor
    Personaly I'd bleed off some coolant and make a forced air dehumidyfier like this >
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bring back natural selection! No more warning lables!

The one and Only MG Pony

Xtreme Cruncher
    yup i think it would be easier that way, plus not much is perfectly airtight so you'd probably have to keep purging it with gas to maintain the low humidity or use a dessicant like the other guy around here did

|Rig: AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ Windsor|6gb DDR2 800|Dual 250gb Western Digital RAID0|8600GT|

(12:16:17 AM) OC3D NoL: NOL EAT ANNOYING NOOBIE
    (12:16:19 AM) OC3D NoL: RAWRRRR

Xtreme Mentor
    with the unit I displayed you'd need neither just realitivly sealed and all the moisture will freeze on the coil in the box, thus occationaly shut off the valve to melt it all off, and then restart it.

The one and Only MG Pony

So let me get this straight I'm to put what part in there anyone got a link? A mini hairdryer? If the case is sealed what is escaping? Further explanation please.

Xtreme Cruncher
    well no matter what you do, some air is going to eventually leak back in, especially if you make it easy to open/acess so you should take a small radiator or a small coil of tubing to make a sort of dehumidifier, it causes all the water to collect on itself instead of on your computer

|Rig: AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ Windsor|6gb DDR2 800|Dual 250gb Western Digital RAID0|8600GT|

(12:16:17 AM) OC3D NoL: NOL EAT ANNOYING NOOBIE
    (12:16:19 AM) OC3D NoL: RAWRRRR

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by MarioMaster
    well no matter what you do, some air is going to eventually leak back in, especially if you make it easy to open/acess so you should take a small radiator or a small coil of tubing to make a sort of dehumidifier, it causes all the water to collect on itself instead of on your computer
    ^ Thats what I was saying, not a hair dryer, that makes heat, we want very cold to condense the water out of the air thus drying it.

The one and Only MG Pony

Xtreme Mentor
    I keep asking people why oh why. You make so much trouble for your self and never realize this is alot more work and ends up looks alot worce then just insulating everything. I assure you we all have seen waterblocks and tygon lines, not much to show off anymore, this isnt 1999.

Also you wont be able to open your case to tweak something, or mess with a jumper or anything else. With a dry gass filled case you would let all the gas out and with a dehumidifirer you wont be able to romove the moisture fast enough to do this on the fly either way and not get condensation on your parts.

Just insulate and join the rest of us in 2006

PS:
    Someone did a case like that on this forum in this section, look though it you might find it, it turned out looking rather bad imho and the whole idea... just *rolls eyes*
    French Duron Poof

Every time you lap a swiftech block a kitten dies

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT

Xtreme Mentor
    it will, this is the type of system that is used on some cold stores (You know the realy big cold rooms) again scaled down, he'll have to design it properly but it will work.

The one and Only MG Pony

Join XS WCG or \/ !!
    Why not build a box with a window a/c hanging out of it and call it a day?
    Look at this one is what epion2985 is talking about.

Well guys I would hope you would respect my artistic vision and this is challenging that's exactly why I'm doing this. I know I'm dealing with the gods here but let's just say I'm not scared. Hehe. Ok on this dehumidifier deal heres the problem I see with it. If the interior of the box is to have 2 or 3 triple hose blocks fans tucked away for chipset cooling allong the interior piping and I would want the pull down to be as fast as possible, and I want to see my beautiful motherboard and graphics board with all the shiny copper and chrome. Bling Bling. Then would the dehumidifier be able to cool and pull water faster than the rest of the box? I guess maybe if I added a heatercore? I dunno wouldnt have long to do it. Also, I got tons of capacity, you guys know this, soon the rest of the box will catch up. I'm thinking the sealed concept is the way to go also I realize I can't add things all the time and I can't jump the cmos, but I've got the tweaking all sorted out. I've been thinking about this for a long time. I got some fiberglass reinforced cut off wheels for the dremel and its been coming allong really well.
    P.S. Drew said something about once the box turns into a freezer it creates a vacuum and you will have ice buildup. I think the dehumidifier only works if the space in question stays room temperature.
    P.S.S. I will own that build in presentation and performance. My Idea is modular and works well with existing hardware/cases and has certain features that make it dazzling to the eye. Also direct coolant draw to the blocks will definitely make for colder temps. This is my first build, but for a first timer its not bad.
    Last edited by ColdFlo; 08-04-2006 at 03:25 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    The air physics is tricky indeed the dehumidifier will work in low pressure just not as effective, basically you build the box some what sealed let the coil freeze all the moisture to its self, switch it off to defrost it and repeat till no more can be pulled out of the air, by then the case is cool inside and air has seeped in to equalize the pressure.

at this point fire on the main loop and enjoy, how ever since the inside of the case is cool the out side will sweat till the electronics raise the ambient air temp inside. At this point the whole internal system should reach thermal dynamic equilibrium to some degree the heat of the MB keeping the air warm enough not to have the case sweat and the dehumidifier coil extracting any moisture that seeps in, you want a small coil with low air flow.

you could even use flex ducting to attach the dehumidifier unit.

Lol thanks but not gods yet, need way more experiance befor that title We just played with it enough to have a dam good idea of it

The one and Only MG Pony

Xtreme Mentor
    Would be a good idea to put some fans in for internal circulation, so the humid air can be pushed over the dehumidifier coil.

And never open the case if the parts are cold as even if the computer may be off the caps still hold a charge and when water will condense as drip because you opened the case you might see some fireworks.
    French Duron Poof

Every time you lap a swiftech block a kitten dies

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT

Xtreme Mentor
    thats what I indicated in the diagrame

The one and Only MG Pony