Hello all, I have spent the last week/week and a half reading through the posts on this forum (because due to forum email sending errors I could not activate my account) and I was hoping to pick your highly knowledgeable brains on a setup I want to build as my main system for home (replacing a dying Dell 5100 series laptop).
This is what I'm thinking so far:
ASPIRE) MX-PLEASURE-BK Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case ATX 500W dual fan
XFX PV-T73G-UDE3 Geforce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3
OCZ Gold 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
NEC 16X DVDÂ±R DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3550A - OEM
I want to keep the costs down as much as possible. This needs to be a complete system with monitor and such, going through Newegg I priced the above plus monitor and extras (kb,sata power connects, thermal paste, etc) and assuming $350-$375 for the E6600 at around $1300 before shipping. I would like to keep it around that area.
I absolutely HATE games so that is not a concern. (The only reason I chose 7600GT was is seems to be middle of the road and probably the high point on price/performance, even though I doubt I would utilize it fully)
The major reasons for building this machine are to replace the 4 year old POS I am currently using and the ability to work at least a bit from home instead of the office all the time(I use an advanced physics simulation that makes mprime look like using calc.exe).
I would like to at some point (maybe not right away) OC this guy, but keep it at 9x400 at the most. Here are the questions/concerns I have come up with after reading all these threads:
1) MB: DS3 or AB9-Pro? I've seen a good bit of results with the DS3 but it also has its issues. Before this 5100 I built many machines and ABit WAS my brand of choice, but I hear they have the bed recently. I know this is asking you guys to predict the future, but if anybody can do it, it would probably be you all: After both boards get up to some pretty rock solid BIOS releases, which do you *expect* to be the better value board? -- Please don't suggest any $250+ MBs to me, I don't want them.
2) If I went with the DS3 it seems it has an issue initially posting with RAM that needs to be run over 1.8v? Should I be concerned with this, as I would have no other RAM around to test? I also saw on Anand about the value 667 RAM being able to be clocked up a good bit, but I was hesitant if I could reliably get that to work if trying to take my system to 9x400 in the future.
3) Also I have read about possible issues with using 4 stick of RAM in a P965? The only reason I am going with 1 GB in my initial buy is a cost consideration, but if 4 sticks is not going to work, maybe I need to bite the bullet and buy 2x1GB upfront, but only if absolutely necessary. (Before you ask, the simulation I use is great on memory management, I have never had an issue on the workstations at the office with 1 GB, it has always been the CPU that is the bottleneck).
4) I want to air cool this guy (no water or anything else). I have seen a couple of different suggestions, but some have had reservations such as the ease of connection, size, price, etc. The ones that people seem to be liking (again correct me if I am talking out of my ) are Ninja, Tower, Ultra-120, Zalman zp-somethingorother.
5) I know you folks have been innundated with these types of posts, so any help you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated.