Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Official XS Power Supply Ranking Phase I

Xtreme Member
    I wouldn't say they're terrible. They have decent regulation, high quality. It's just, there are many, many better options for the price. That chromed case, aviation style connector, light up fans, uv reactive sleeving, puts it into a higher price catagory while not quite up there where it counts, performance.

And it's really a 550w andyson inside the shell. not 580. No pfc either.

Xtreme Addict
    Someone said that the Silverstone OP1000 is build by SevenTeam, does that mean that this Silverstone and this Seventeam basicaly are the same PSU. Although the Silverstone version has 'fused' rails and offers 10 more amps on the 5V line. Also, I'm wondering about the 8-pin PCI-E connector, which is present on the OP1000, I read over here that ATI's R600 will use this connector. Could this mean that within a year from now, many PSUs from now can become obsolete when buying higher end Graphics cards?
    EDIT: This silverstone belongs to Tier 1 right? As this could mean it's a "Seventeam ST >600 (SSI, V2.91)".
    Last edited by Helmore; 11-13-2006 at 12:48 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would like to encourage the adding of Etasis brand gaming power supplies to the "Tier 1 Brands" since they are technically the same as the "Silverstone ZF (Etasis 85/75/56)" series. See links below:

main page - http://www.etasis.com.tw/

gaming power page - http://www.etasis.com.tw/cgi-bin/pro...earchdbdisplay

places/prices to buy them - http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...er&btnG=Search

An alternative to the rebadged Silverstone versions I guess.

Xtreme Member
    Are FSP550-60PLN supposed to be any good? I was just given one was if anyone has any info I'd appreciate it. Had a quick search but couldn't find anything substantial.
    Thanks
    i7-960@4.2GHz/Rampage III Gene/3GB KHX14400/HD5670

RE: Enermax Galaxy

Have they fixed the issue that caused blowing motherboards?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Custra...82E16817194008

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam
    WHICH ONES TO BUY ??

Tier 1 can handle 4Ghz Conroe or 3Ghz AMD along with Oced Quad Crossfire/SLI With Ease.
    Tier Z offers quality and power unequalled in its wattage range and is second only to other Zippy units.
    Tier 2 offers almost as much power and stability as Tier 1 at Comparable Wattage levels with lower price/better availability.
    Tier T offers the high quality components of Tier 2 with slightly less Rail stability due to Topower internals.
    Tier 3 is ONLY Recommended if Price difference is present between Tier 3 and Tier 2 or due to availability issues with Tier 1/2 PSUs.
    Tier 4 is recommended for stock or low power systems if Tier 3's are more expensive or are not available.
    Tier 5 are NOT RECOMMENDED, but some brands have high/medium quality components in Tiers 2 through 4.

-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----

Tier 1 Brands
    - The Most Powerful And Stable Components On The Market
    Enermax Galaxy
    PCP&C TurboCool
    PCP&C Silencer >610
    Zippy/Emacs SSL
    Zippy/Emacs GSM
    Zippy/Emacs PSL
    Silverstone ZF (Etasis 85/75/56)
    Seventeam ST >600 (SSI, V2.91)

Tier Z - Less Powerful Than Tier 1 Zippy Units...but they're still Zippys
    Zippy/Emacs HG2
    Zippy/Emacs HP2

Tier 2 Brands
    - Top Quality components With Top Notch Stability - For Those With Price/Availability Issues With Tier 1
    Antec Neo HE
    Akasa PowerGreen 80+
    CoolMax CTG-750W/850W/1KW
    Cooltek CT
    Corsair HX
    Enermax Liberty
    Enhance ENP-GH
    Fortron (FSP) GLN
    iStarUSA PD2
    iStarUSA PD3
    OCZ GameXStream
    OCZ EvoStream
    PCP&C Silencer <610
    Seasonic S12
    Seasonic M12
    Seasonic Energy Plus
    SevenTeam ST <600
    Silverstone EF
    Supermicro/AbleCom
    Thermaltake Toughpower >600W
    Xclio GreatPower
    Zalman ZM

Tier T - High Quality PSUs Made With Topower Internals - Less Rail Stability Compared To Tier 2 But Still Better than Tier 3
    Mushkin Enhanced
    Tagan U95
    Tagan U25
    Tagan U15
    Tagan U22
    OCZ PowerStream

Tier 3 Brands - High Quality and Stability, Second Only To Tier 2 Brands
    Acbel Polycom
    AMS Mercury
    Akasa PaxPower
    Akasa PowerPlus (>500W Models)
    Antec Phantom
    Antec TruePower III
    Antec True Power II
    Antec True Control II
    Antec Neopower 480W (Old Model)
    Antec Smart Power 2.0
    Athena Power Space Shuttle Series
    Channel Well
    Enermax Maximum Plus
    Enermax Noistaker II
    Enermax Noisetaker
    Enermax Whisper II
    Enermax CoolerGiant
    Enhance ENS-G
    Fortron (FSP) GLC
    Fortron (FSP) THN
    Fortron AX
    Fortron HLN
    Fortron PFN/PN/PA
    Seasonic Super Versatile
    Silverstone F
    Sparkle FSP
    Spire Rocketeer V/VI
    Sunbeam Nuuo
    Thermaltake Purepower
    Thermaltake Toughpower <600W

Tier 4 - Not Recommend With Tier 3 In same Price/Wattage Range
    Aerocool
    Asus Atlas
    BFG
    Coolermaster Real Power
    Coolermaster iGreen
    Delta
    Enlight
    E-Power
    Futurepower
    Hiper
    HIPRO
    Lite-On
    Masscool
    MGE XG
    Mushkin HP
    NorthQ 4775-500S/BU
    OCZ Modstream
    Scythe Kamariki
    Sintek
    Thermaltake TR2
    TTGI/Superflower
    Ultra Xfinity/X2

Tier 5 - Other than the units listed above for any of these brands, NOT RECOMMENDED
    A-TOP Technology
    APEX (SUPERCASE/ALLIED)
    Aspire(Turbo Case)
    ATADC
    Athena Power
    ATRIX
    Broadway Com Corp
    Cooler Master
    Coolmax
    Deer
    Diablotek
    Dynapower USA
    EagleTech
    FOXCONN
    I-Star Computer Co. Ltd
    In Win
    JPAC COMPUTER
    Just PC
    Kingwin Inc.
    Linkworld Electronics
    Logisys Computer
    MGE
    MSI
    NMEDIAPC
    Norwood Micro/ CompUSA
    NorthQ
    NZXT
    Powmax
    Q-Tec
    Raidmax
    Rosewill
    SFC
    Shuttle
    Skyhawk
    Spire Coolers
    Star Micro
    STARTECH
    TOPOWER TOP
    Ultra X-Connect
    Wintech
    XClio
    XION
    YoungYear
    Zebronics

-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----

Phase III compensates for overcrowded Tier 1, while clumping together previously Tier 2 and 3 PSUs if only because no definite way to categorize then as good enough for Tier 2 or bad enough for Tier 3.

Perkam
    So you are saying Ultra X-Finity series are not that much recommended? Why? So that means my Ultra X-Finity 2G 600Watts w/ AfterSpin Tech is like sucky compared to the top ones?

Xtreme Member
    The list needs updating. The Ultra- X-Finity units are good solid alternatives to the usual sea of antec's, enermax's.. etc. They work well, they're reasonably efficient, and they're usually on sale with a mail in rebate. More value for your money.

Xtreme Mentor
    Exactly, thats why I bought it. I dont know about Ultra before but now they seem to have a good reputation. Im really happy with my X-Finity 2-Generation.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    could somebody add tybotech to the list of Tier 5 PSU's? they're real crap and comparable to Q-Tec Units
    Desktop
    Intel Wolfdale E5200 @2.9Ghz
    MSI P6N SLI Fi
    Gigabyte Radeon HD4850ZL @ 680/2000
    2GB Crucial BallistiX D9GMH 800 4-4-4-12 1T
    250GB & 400GB Western Digital SATA2
    Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
    Enermax Liberty 500W
    Air Cooling (Arctic Freezer 7 Pro)

Quote Originally Posted by luihed
    I like my rams like I like my women.... naked and tight

Xtreme Addict
    I have a simple question
    Why do pople prefer the PCP&C TurboCool 1KW over the Enermax Galaxy 1KW?
    As far as I know the TurboCool is noisy and run hot even when power switched off and yet people do prefer it.
    Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.8GHZ 1.28V (Core Contact Freezer)
    Asus X58 P6T
    6GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600MHZ 8-8-8-24
    XFX HD5870
    WD 1TB Black HD
    Corsair 850TX
    Cooler Master HAF 922

Xtreme Member
    Because of the rail distribution. 5 rails on the Galaxy. One on the 1kw SR. That, and it's overall a higher quality build.

Xtreme Addict
    Mm I thought it was 3 rail but any way Galaxy got 2 rails for the CPU and 3 for the GPU and that will make up for the heat and noise
    Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.8GHZ 1.28V (Core Contact Freezer)
    Asus X58 P6T
    6GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600MHZ 8-8-8-24
    XFX HD5870
    WD 1TB Black HD
    Corsair 850TX
    Cooler Master HAF 922

Xtreme Member
    I'm having trouble deciding wether to get a Silvertone ZF or a Seasonic M12/S12. Ofcourse I have read the reviews and seen the recommended lists, I know they are both great performers.

What I'm looking for are long cables since im going to put it in a LianLi v2000 with the HD's in a 5.25" tray. I dont like messy cases so I want them to be long enough to guide them neatly through the case. Does anyone know which has longer cables, the silverstone's or the seasonics ?

Performance wise I would like the one that gives the cleanest power, effeciency comes after that.
    my buddy, Lian Li A70:
    * Asus P6T Deluxe & Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2 + HT, stable @ 1.3875v & 6GB OCZ PC3-12800 Triple Channel Low Voltage & 1X Hitachi Deskstar 1TB
    * DELL 30"WFP3007-HC & 2x 4850 CrossFire & X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro & Sennheiser HD595
    * SilverStone Zeus 750W

my liquid setup:
    *cpu EK Supreme Acrylic *rad TFC Xchanger 480QUAD *pump DDC-2 + XPSC reservoir top
    *tubing Tygon B-44-4X 1/2"ID - 3/4"OD + all Feser compression fittings

MY LIAN-LI A70-480QUAD WORKLOG - KAOZZ.COM

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by tjelaw
    I'm having trouble deciding wether to get a Silvertone ZF or a Seasonic M12/S12. Ofcourse I have read the reviews and seen the recommended lists, I know they are both great performers.

What I'm looking for are long cables since im going to put it in a LianLi v2000 with the HD's in a 5.25" tray. I dont like messy cases so I want them to be long enough to guide them neatly through the case. Does anyone know which has longer cables, the silverstone's or the seasonics ?

Performance wise I would like the one that gives the cleanest power, effeciency comes after that.

I have said SS and the cables are quite long, can't measure then off hand, but if you are willing to wait a day or so I can get you measurements.
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777
    I have said SS and the cables are quite long, can't measure then off hand, but if you are willing to wait a day or so I can get you measurements.
    I take it (from ur other thread) u mean the Silverstone ZF? If you could measure them, yes please thnx.

BTW: I notice that ur PSU has most/all the cables sleeved.... while jonny's review unit here http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=36 cleary isnt that fancy. They are both the same model right? Silverstone 750ZF.

Did you sleeve your unit yourself? Or maybe its a newer revision?
    my buddy, Lian Li A70:
    * Asus P6T Deluxe & Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2 + HT, stable @ 1.3875v & 6GB OCZ PC3-12800 Triple Channel Low Voltage & 1X Hitachi Deskstar 1TB
    * DELL 30"WFP3007-HC & 2x 4850 CrossFire & X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro & Sennheiser HD595
    * SilverStone Zeus 750W

my liquid setup:
    *cpu EK Supreme Acrylic *rad TFC Xchanger 480QUAD *pump DDC-2 + XPSC reservoir top
    *tubing Tygon B-44-4X 1/2"ID - 3/4"OD + all Feser compression fittings

MY LIAN-LI A70-480QUAD WORKLOG - KAOZZ.COM

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by tjelaw
    I take it (from ur other thread) u mean the Silverstone ZF? If you could measure them, yes please thnx.

BTW: I notice that ur PSU has most/all the cables sleeved.... while jonny's review unit here http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=36 cleary isnt that fancy. They are both the same model right? Silverstone 750ZF.

Did you sleeve your unit yourself? Or maybe its a newer revision?
    It came sleeved, so unless he stripped the sleeving, or got one before they started sleeving them. I bought mine from Directron.com because it was the cheapest price for the PSU, I think Perkam gave me the link to it.

Check there and see if its still 170$-/+ S&H
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

I would like to know this PSU is manufacturered by who ?

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-op1000.htm

thanks.
    Last edited by ahpaul82; 01-12-2007 at 06:51 AM.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3200MHz
    CoolerMaster GiminII Cooler + AC RYAN 12CM Fan
    2 x 1GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR2-667 @ DDR800, 44412, 2.0v, Black slots. (Hynix FP-Y5 RAMchips)
    ASUS P5N-E SLI (BIOS 1201) 1.56v chipset
    ATI Radeon X1950GT 512MB (PCI-E)
    TDK 52X48X52X16X Combo Drive
    2 x WD 36GB Raptor SATA 8MB in RAID 0 Mode
    SEAGATE 320GB SATA2 16MB
    MAXTOR 200GB SATA2 8MB
    Samsung Floppy Drive
    Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1LT Sound Card
    Lian Li PC65B+ Casing
    Corsair TX Series 750W PSU
    Window XP Pro SP3

Xtreme Member
    Seventeam built, so you know it's solid as a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU
    The Galaxy only had the excessive ripple when it was crossloaded. That's why the "recommended" graphc was pulled, but the score wasn't affected.
    Please explain what that means. What si crossloaded? whats excessive ripple? and whats the recommended graphc? Really sorry about the newbness, I have never needed to look in to psu's before as I used to think they were the easiest buy, now I see it differentley ever since I went dual gpu.

I am really confused. I have a 8800gtx sli system with high end components already but I just don't know what psu to go with. I had a tagan 1100watt as I assumed that would be the best, but it didn't work out for me. One it had broken sata cables (which also double up as four pin molexs with an adapter) , two it's leads have fat faces and my 680i and 8800gtx doesn't have much clearance around it's power ports causing me great hassle. Third , I have noticed that when setting voltage on my board it is actually lower in windows but thsi could just be a normal part of my bios and so is probably nothing as lots of boards undervolt fr safety.

I live in the Uk and we don't get Zippy or PC power so I have been looking at the Enermax Galaxy 1000watt. A review on this German sire shows it's very good and much better than what I had ie the tagan.

But you are making me worried now. The only other psu in the tier one brand in the UK is the Silverstone 850watt, but it's very rare and is only available at one shop whom I don't like shopping with.

What should I do. Please get back to me. I really hate having to to hold back with my PC while I figure out the psu situation.

Also great list, I found it very helpful, but alot of the brands are just non existent in my neck of the woods.

I am doing big overclocks , but only have one 15gb raptor at the moment. I do want a psu that will last me, but we all know that usually isn't the case so getting the best for the job is probably more sensible.

Thank you.

PS. Please feel free to PM me if it is easier for you.

PSS. Although I have asked Johnny specifically I would welcome any feedback on my questions/dilemma, I want as much informations as humanely possible. I am like a sponge right now , ready to soak up knowledge.

EDIT:

I just found a Silverstone olympia 1000 for sale, is it better than an Enermax Galaxy. It's cheaper so that makes me wonder if it's better? WHat should I do? That shop doesn't have many and they are the only shop in the UK that has them.
    Last edited by TonyM16; 01-15-2007 at 06:29 PM.

Xtreme PSU Tester
    If you take a PSU and you load up one rail (like the +12V) to the max and only load another rail (like the 3.3V or 5V) to the bare minimum, that's considered a "cross load."

This is why you see some PSU's with a "minimum load requirement" on them.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU
    If you take a PSU and you load up one rail (like the +12V) to the max and only load another rail (like the 3.3V or 5V) to the bare minimum, that's considered a "cross load."

This is why you see some PSU's with a "minimum load requirement" on them.
    Thanks. I see that won't be an issue for me then or will it? I will have an overlocked E6600, 2gb memory and a 680i board , but only one Raptor HD.

I have read that the Silverstone Olympia ia one of the very best if you don't include Zippy and PCP+C . How much better is it than a 1000watt Galaxy.

The reason being is I don't want a loud PC either and I read somewhere that the Olypmpia is very loud and the Galaxy is alot quieter. See what I mean about confused, they don't make it easy to decide.

SO keeping in mind noise and stability and reliability along with max power/future proofing who should I go with the Silverstone of Galaxy. the silverstone is marginally cheaper, but the Galaxy sound slike it will much more quiter and should be stable enough for me as I am not ever gonna have a 4ghz conroe.

EDIT: Damn no Silverstone Olypmia for me. The shop were lieing they don't really have any they were just showing what the could have if they were a real shop.
    Last edited by TonyM16; 01-16-2007 at 02:46 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    I am upgrading my powersupply. I have been looking at the 1K and the Silencer 750W. Is the extra 12A and 350W justifiable for the extra 300 dollars? Or will a 750W Silencer with 60A be able to handle future quad core and dual gpu solutions? Or am i better off getting the 1KW? Silence is awesome, but if theres really that big of a leap thats worthwhile i might get it. Or would the OP1000 be my best choice?
    Last edited by Circaflex; 01-18-2007 at 10:22 AM.
    i9-10900k@5.3ghz//MSI MEG z490 Unify//32GB Gskill TridentZ b.die@DDR4666//RTX 2080ti(+150/+700) kingpin bios//Samsung 970 Pro//Corsair AX1200i
    Custom Loop: Dual DDCs->Dual EK XE360 w/GT's -> HK IV CPU -> HK IV GPU ->EK X3 Res controlled by Aquaero 6

Xtreme Cruncher
    Am I reading the list right? It appears that the Silverstone modular PS units are in Tier 3. These are the Enhance built products. Are they really that low? JonnyGuru gave the ST75F Strider I'm contemplating buying a "9" rating and the price on this PS is awesome - ($138 shipped)!

http://deadeyedata.com/shop/index.ph...products_id=95

JonnyGuru also gave the Corsair HX620 a "9" rating and it can be had for $120 shipped:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...270718&loc=101

I'm looking for a modular PS, either 750W / 850W, nearly silent, with good aesthetics (cable sleeving), capability to run 8800 GTS SLI *maybe GTX SLI?*, and the cheaper the better. The Seasonic M12 700W looks great, but it's almost $200. Hey JonnyGuru - if you were buying a PSU with those previous requirements, which one would you buy?
    Last edited by gr8golf; 01-18-2007 at 07:45 PM.
    Bloodrage || 920 @ 3.2Ghz || TRUE Black
    3x 2GB HyperX 2000 || @ 2000Mhz 7.7.7
    2x 300GB WD VR Raid 0 || 2x 2TB Samsung F3 Raid 0
    LG 10x BD-R || LG 22x DVD/RW
    MSI GE 470 || LG 246WP
    Sonar X-Fi || Klipsch 5.1
    Lycosa || Mamba || Exact Mat
    CM ATCS 840 || Seasonic M12D
    Server 2008 R2 x64

Xtreme Addict
    Got today FSP pnf 400w from customer and compared to my Antec truepower 550w eps12. Must say, fsp rails are jumping on every mouse click, while antec stay on 12.05 idle and 12.07 3d loaded. Antec might worse than tier 2 because of bad caps, but then fsp should be below Antec. On same system fsp lines fluctuate from 12.2v-12.4v while Antec stays within 12.05-12.07v. Measured with DMM.
    I have Silverstone Strider on way, so ill do compare again.

Xtreme Member
    Thermaltake Toughpower 600

It should be classified in the Tier 2 with the other 650 watts 750 watts 850 watts models, as they are from the same design, surely not with the 550 watts model classified in the Tier 3.

Thermaltake Toughpower >= 600
    Last edited by _33; 01-21-2007 at 07:21 PM.

i7 920 batch 3844A509 @ 3600 / TT BigTyphoon VX / ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 / G.SKILL 6gb @ 1600 8-8-8-21 / Sapphire Radeon HD4850 / TT ToughPower 600w / Samsung Spinpoint F1 750gb x2 / WD2500KS x2 / LG DVD-rw x2
    <<<<<CLICK HERE IF YOU NEED REAL-TIME VIDEO CLIPS>>>>>

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast