Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: Official XS Power Supply Ranking Phase I

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbq
    I agree with your list, for the most part. There are several things I would change, These are:

1. The Mushkin Enhanced series in Tier 2. There are far better choices, for less, and with better voltage regulation. Maybe Tier 3?
    2. Antec in Tier 3. I wouldn't put them in tier 3 simply because of Fuhjyyu capacitors. Maybe a seperate catagory, like 3.5?
    3. OCZ Powerstream in Tier 3. I would specify that the Powerstream 520 SLI with the Blue led is in tier 3, and that the other powerstreams are a step down. Maybe 3.5 again?
    4. Aerocool and Hiper in Tier 4. Made by Andyson, decent regulation, and not atrociously expensive. Maybe 3.5?
    5. MGE / XG and Masscool in Tier 4. Depending on which model of MGE/XG, some are made by Seventeam. The Sole masscool, the Nextherm 460, is Seventeam again. And that is in catagory 2.
    6. Coolermaster. It Definatly does not belong in the lowest tier. The 450 is ACBel, the 600 is a 500w Seventeam, the really cheap 460 is Hipro. I would put specific models in specific catagories. They are definatly not crap.
    7. Ultra in Tier 4. Great price-performance ratio, they really aren't bad, and there's always a few rebates to pick one up for really cheap. My suggestion is Tier 3.

Those are my recommendations.
    Can't really heed suggestions for 0.5 Tiers...that just isn't happeneing...I want this to be as simplistic as possible.

Plus Ultra's I don't think they belong in the same Tier as Fortrons.

THe only suggestions I can heed are 5 and 6...for which you'd have to tell me which models are seventeam and acbel...as I am familiar with neither of those brands.

Perkam

Xtreme PSU Tester
    He's still bitter about the X-Connect, so unless he differentiates one model to another, he's going to leave the Ultra where it is.

Perk:

As for Acbel, they make the Asus Atlas PSU's and the Cooler Master Real Power 550W.

SevenTeam builds a full gamut, but the best stuff is the server line that includes 750W and 1kW units. The XG branded SevenTeam units were some of SevenTeam's better stuff and definitely tier 2.

Other SevenTeam's like the Masscool aren't "the best," but I would take one over an FSP any day, so should at least be in tier 3.

But Perkam knows all this. I submitted a list to him earlier this year and SevenTeam was in Tier 2.

Live Long And Overclock
    It's easy to say that the Altas and Real Power are Seventeams...a tad bit harder to tell me which Seventeam product they are....

These are the variations I've found:

SSI EPS Series EAD/EAF/EAG/EAJ (<600W)
    Found here: http://www.seventeam.com.tw/front/Pr...g=eng&TypeID=8

ATX V2.0 Series BLV/BLP/BKV/BKP/ZNF/ZPF
    Found here: http://www.seventeam.com.tw/front/Pr...=eng&TypeID=14

ATX V2.2 Series PAF/AG
    Found Here: http://www.seventeam.com.tw/front/Pr...=eng&TypeID=21

SSI EPS Series V2.91 EAD/EAJ/EAZ (>600W)
    Found Here: http://www.seventeam.com.tw/front/Pr...=eng&TypeID=24

I need to know:

A. Which psu belongs in which Tier (The >600W models I can guess are high quality, but are they Tier 1 or Tier 2 ? etc)
    B. Which PSUs are used by Coolermaster, Masscool and XG (Like how we know Silverstone EF is made by Enhance) - if any of them use a discontinued ST model then I'm its not getting bumped up.

Funny thing about the Ultra's that no one noticed. ChannelWell is already listed as Tier 3...I just need confirmation which Ultra's are made by channel well or which are made by other reputable manufacturers of the Ultra product line (X-finity,X2, V-Series).

Perkam
    Last edited by perkam; 10-12-2006 at 06:05 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What about NorthQ?? I know they're not the most well-known brand, but I've been running their PSUs for the last 27 months, 2 different kinds, no problems what so ever... I'd place them at least as Tier 3...
    The one I'm currently using is a 4775 series PSU

Best Regards
    Silverstone RAVEN RV02|
    Core i5 2500K@4.4GHz, 1,300V|
    Corsair A70|ASUS P67 Sabertooth|Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty|
    Corsair Dominator DDR1600 4x4096MB@DDR3-1600@1.65V|Sapphire HD7970 3GB 1075/1475MHz|
    Corsair Force F120 120GB SSD SATA-II, WD Caviar Black 2x1TB SATA-II 32mb, Hitatchi 320GB SATA-II 16mb|Silverstone DA750 750w PSU|

Live Long And Overclock
    Tier T added for Topower units that jG despises :p

NorthQ (500W+) units added to Tier 4.

Perkam
    Last edited by perkam; 10-12-2006 at 06:31 AM.

Xtreme PSU Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam
    It's easy to say that the Altas and Real Power are Seventeams...a tad bit harder to tell me which Seventeam product they are....
    Actually, I said those are Acbel. Not SevenTeam.

Funny thing about the Ultra's that no one noticed. ChannelWell is already listed as Tier 3...I just need confirmation which Ultra's are made by channel well or which are made by other reputable manufacturers of the Ultra product line (X-finity,X2, V-Series).

Perkam
    Nobody said any Ultras are made by CWT. Dude... You're all over the place. Slow down and read.

Xtreme Member
    Can't really heed suggestions for 0.5 Tiers...that just isn't happeneing...I want this to be as simplistic as possible.

Plus Ultra's I don't think they belong in the same Tier as Fortrons.

THe only suggestions I can heed are 5 and 6...for which you'd have to tell me which models are seventeam and acbel...as I am familiar with neither of those brands.

Perkam
    The Coolermasters:
    iGreen series = ACBel
    Realpower series = ACBel

eXtreme Power series = Seventeam. But I would drop them down a tier since they claim it's 600w, but it's really only a 500w, it does pci-e via an adaptor, etc etc.

The XG/MGE's:
    The Magnum series = Seventeam (but seriously over-rated, they're really only a 500 in the 600w, etc)

The Vortec series = Youngyear

The Duro series = Seventeam. Again, serious over-rating.

The Vigor series = I couldn't find anything on it (ul# was blurry, i think it was 5176768 or E176768, couldn't really see) but I BELIEVE it is a Youngyear.

ULTRA:

X-connect = youngyear

X2 connect = Wintech
    X-finity = Wintech (all the x-finities)
    V-series = Wintech

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbq
    The Coolermasters:
    iGreen series = ACBel
    Realpower series = ACBel

eXtreme Power series = Seventeam. But I would drop them down a tier since they claim it's 600w, but it's really only a 500w, it does pci-e via an adaptor, etc etc.

The XG/MGE's:
    The Magnum series = Seventeam (but seriously over-rated, they're really only a 500 in the 600w, etc)

The Vortec series = Youngyear

The Duro series = Seventeam. Again, serious over-rating.

The Vigor series = I couldn't find anything on it (ul# was blurry, i think it was 5176768 or E176768, couldn't really see) but I BELIEVE it is a Youngyear.

ULTRA:

X-connect = youngyear

X2 connect = Wintech
    X-finity = Wintech (all the x-finities)
    V-series = Wintech
    jG can you confirm all that ?

Perkam

Xtreme PSU Tester
    He is correct.

Live Long And Overclock
    k...will prolly edit them up in the next couple of days...I'm too full of chicken to do it right now

Perkam

just to be sure I'm getting this straght
    The ultra's to avoid are the X-Connect made by youngyear,
    and the Wintech models are ok their just not tier 2 or 3 level supplys?

Reason I'm asking is I'm seeing a lot of great deals on the V-Series and X-finity
    and I hate to pass up on a good deal ...lol
    Last edited by clsA; 10-13-2006 at 01:21 PM.

Xtreme Member
    That's right. Avoid the first generation X-connect (2 fan model, with the stiff cables). All the other Ultra's are good. X-finity500/600, X2 (single 120mm fan, flexforce), those are good too.

OK great, thanks Bbq
    I work with a lot of mom and pop pc's that come with crap oem supply's
    and these 400 -500w V-series free after rebate are hard to pass up

Even got a deal on a X-finity 600W for $40 I may put in my system for awhile
    (I really want a Corsair 520 though bad !!)

the real bummer of a list like this is every PSU I have owned in in Tier 4 right now ...lol
    Last edited by clsA; 10-13-2006 at 01:37 PM.

Xtreme Member

Enermax Galaxy

Just a question here. After JonnyGuru's findings on the Enermax Galaxy's poor ripple control, does it deserve to stay in the top tier? It seems like after that finding, no one interested in a Tier 1 system wants to buy it. It is basically the reason that I am staying away from it, and leaning towards a zippy or modular silverstone. Any thoughts?
    Has a very small epeen.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ^ Yeah I 2nd Terru there. The Galaxy was fixing to get a purchase from me. Any thoughts, guys? Is this still a tier 1 PSU?

At this point, I'm probably going with either the Galaxy or the 850W Silverstone. My Silverstone that I have now (ST56ZF, single-rail 38A, 560W) has been a real trooper, so I have a soft spot for Silverstone. The Galaxy would give me more headroom with my system, though, because I plan on going SLi w/ G80's, WC'ng w/ a 50W Iwaki, GPU-physics, 2 hard drives, quad-core (later down the road) etc.

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by Terru
    Just a question here. After JonnyGuru's findings on the Enermax Galaxy's poor ripple control, does it deserve to stay in the top tier? It seems like after that finding, no one interested in a Tier 1 system wants to buy it. It is basically the reason that I am staying away from it, and leaning towards a zippy or modular silverstone. Any thoughts?
    If jG was the one who persuaded you differently, then I'd let him rein in on this one before touching anything

Perkam

Xtreme Addict
    What about Antec Truepower 550w EPS12v? Its not Truepower II. Some people told that Truepower II are less stable than oldskool Truepowers.
    And Akasa PowerPlus should be in Tier 2, regarding to hexus reviews.
    Last edited by Kasparz; 10-22-2006 at 12:19 AM.

Xtreme PSU Tester
    If jG was the one who persuaded you differently, then I'd let him rein in on this one before touching anything

Perkam
    The Galaxy only had the excessive ripple when it was crossloaded. That's why the "recommended" graphc was pulled, but the score wasn't affected.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I think the Seasonic M12 should be in the Tier 1 or atleast Tier Z list

The Zippy GSM result didnt even look good and efficiency were no where close to Seasonic. I think someone is a little Zippy biased.
    For all your cooling needs: ShopPTS.com
    System:
    Rampage Formula // E8400 @ 4.0 (1.28v)
    4x 1GB Ballistix Tracer @ 600 (5-5-5-15)
    4x 74GB Raptors 16MB Raid-0 // Samsung F1 1TB
    eVGA 8800GTS 512MB @ 800/1111/2000
    Corsair HX620 // LG246WP
    Cooling:
    D-TEK FuZion // PA120.3 // 3x Yate Loon SH
    MCW60GT // EK Multi-150 // DDC-2 + Petra's Top

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasparz
    What about Antec Truepower 550w EPS12v? Its not Truepower II. Some people told that Truepower II are less stable than oldskool Truepowers.
    And Akasa PowerPlus should be in Tier 2, regarding to hexus reviews.
    Didn't like mine. Thought it was a pretty weak PSU. Gave out under full load.

Xtreme PSU Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by syne_24
    I think the Seasonic M12 should be in the Tier 1 or atleast Tier Z list
    I agree. The M12 is good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by syne_24
    The Zippy GSM result didnt even look good and efficiency were no where close to Seasonic. I think someone is a little Zippy biased.
    The efficiency and ripple do look better on the Seasonic, but the Zippy does have better voltage regulation and is a better build quality. I would venture the Seasonic could hold up for 5 years @ 24/7, but the Zippy would likely last twice that or more.

Xtreme Member

Thumbs up

I have just read this entire thread and this list obviously took a lot of time and effort,
    with lots of input from many members.

Perkam is to be congratulated for his time, talent, effort & Patience!

I certainly agree with the Zippys & PC P&C being included in Tier 1.

Sunbeam Nuuo & Thermaltake Purepower in Tier 3 are IMO too high,
    I would say Tier 4 for the Sunbeam & Tier 5 for the PurePower.

The Thermaltake TR2 in Tier 4 should be moved to Tier 5.

And XCilo in Tier 5 should be moved to Tier 3,
    I have personally tested & used these "Cheap, but Good PSU's",
    in the 400W, 450W & GoodPower 500W versions &
    they are made by Channel Well which you have correctly placed in Tier 3.

Also why is I-Star on Tier 5, has something changed within the last year or so,
    or do you know something I don't know?

Overall A GREAT job! CONGRATS!

Here is my "somewhat updated" main guide: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...d.php?t=136602

Dave
    Last edited by davidhammock200; 10-26-2006 at 08:34 PM.

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by davidhammock200
    I have just read this entire thread and this list obviously took a lot of time and effort,
    with lots of input from many members.

Perkam is to be congratulated for his time, talent, effort & Patience!

I certainly agree with the Zippys & PC P&C being included in Tier 1.

Sunbeam Nuuo & Thermaltake Purepower in Tier 3 are IMO too high,
    I would say Tier 4 for the Sunbeam & Tier 5 for the PurePower.

The Thermaltake TR2 in Tier 4 should be moved to Tier 5.

And XCilo in Tier 5 should be moved to Tier 3,
    I have personally tested & used these "Cheap, but Good PSU's",
    in the 400W, 450W & GoodPower 500W versions &
    they are made by Channel Well which you have correctly placed in Tier 3.

Also why is I-Star on Tier 5, has something changed within the last year or so,
    or do you know something I don't know?

Overall A GREAT job! CONGRATS!

Here is my "somewhat updated" main guide: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...d.php?t=136602

Dave
    Very nice David..if my guide helped even a little bit its an honor.

The guide is available to the public and therefore anyone can use it for their site or for their own guide.

Some decisions are controversional, others are from personal experience...but yea...LOTS of info in the thread

Perkam

Live Long And Overclock
    Seventeam st >600 (v2.91) added to tier 1

Seventeam st <600 added to Tier 2.

Perkam

Is the Hiper brand really that bad? I've seen several reviews and most commment it has solid rails, might not be the most efficient out there but 75-80% ain't bad. It's modular, dual fans, quiet and looks sexy. I think it deserves alot better then it's Tier 4 rank.

http://www.pro-clockers.com/reviews.php?id=32

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast