Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Official XS Power Supply Ranking Phase I

Xtreme PSU Tester
    Whoa.. cool the jets.

The LOL was for the "1.5" comment. There is no 1.5. That was my idea because I think the numbers need to be shuffled around. So I thought it was funny that you agree with me and that there should be a "1.5."

Has nothing to do with Antec, Seasonic or anything else.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    okok I mistook it sry... lol

usually I don't agree with perkam

Xtreme PSU Tester
    The factors that make up the performance score actually each have their own weight within the performance score. I just don't publish the details because I don't want people focusing on the score. I personally hate the score. I added the "summary" to the newer reviews because it seemed like people went straight to the score.

Also, like I've already explained to you, the weights of the scoring changed as the testing methodology changes. You give an example of the NeoHE and the ST56ZF, but the NeoHE was reviewed before I had the hot box, scored for the hot box, the O-scope could be "captured", o-scope readings weighed in, etc.

What I could do is just delete all of the reviews I did before I updated the testing methodology? Maybe I should delete all of my old reviews every time I change the testing methodology. Maybe I should just not do power supply reviews because it's not like I get paid to do them. I do them for fun. But when people second guess every word that comes out of my mouth, it's not so much fun anymore. Know what I mean?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Actually I like the summaries... they do provide a more in depth analysis than a point system will. But the only reason I mentioned it was because you said I wasn't objective about the score. I'm a nihilist for many reasons so it's the only reason I came back to the topic. Now I don't mean that you delete your reviews.. I certainly wouldn't want that.

Personally it's your site and you can do with it whatever you like. I like the fact that you review psu's more in depth that anyone around. But that was a reason I mentioned the score. I only meant it as honest criticism. I wasn't trying to "dog" on you or anything. I just think you can always improve heh.

If you like the summaries why not just write conclusions instead of points? jw

Xtreme PSU Tester
    Scores have been removed from all "older" reviews.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    wow... someone listened to me.... :O

Live Long And Overclock
    Phase III is now in effect.

Please do not focus on how big Tier 3 has gotten.

The most help i need is which PSUs you believe belong in Tier 1 and Tier 2 from Tier 1 and Tier 2...and if any from Tier 3 belong in the same company as the PSUs in Tier 2.

Perkam

Xtreme PSU Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Praxis1452
    wow... someone listened to me.... :O
    Yeah. It's a valid point.

For the record, the last blog post isn't directed towards you at all. A couple other members here, but not you. And some members elsewhere. People are just ass clowns.

The final straw was eldonko questioning the Mushkin review. Said it wasn't a "fair comparison" to put a 28A load on a single 12V rail on the PSU.

Umm... I said in the review that I did it to test the Rail Fusion and that the drop in voltage shouldn't be a concern because most of the drop was from the resistance created by the additional load.

Makes my point all over again. You have to spoon feed information to people in little bite size piece. You make something too easy to understand and they take it the wrong way.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That last few sentences is sooooooooooooooooooooo true =)! Make it too easy and everyone thinks they know everything already. haha. I was trying to read your blog but I'm on AOL and my parents parental controls block it... blocking a site about psu's... nice job aol keep up the damn good work >.<!

now time to do help with phase III

I'm not very familiar with it but I believe Supermicro/Ablecom should be tier 1.

Zalman is the fortron green right? Would that be tier 2 or 3? Since the only fortron in tier 2 is the GLN.

How good are the U tagans? Topower shouldn't be in tier 2 but I could be wrong.

Live Long And Overclock
    Moved back to PSU section.

Perkam

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Praxis1452
    usually I don't agree with perkam
    That was good for my morning laugh.

Plz add Cooltek a.k.a MiST to the list... http://www.sweclockers.com/articles_...id=570&page=10 here is a test from one of Swedens most respected hardwaresites, if U dont know Swedish just look @ the pictures

I think it should be in tier 2 or 3, decide yourself...

BTW: They only sell them in the Nordic countries and in Germany

Live Long And Overclock
    Added to Tier 2.

Perkam

Does the GameXStream (and the FSP epsilon it is based upon) deserve to remain a tier 2 product given the level of ripple jonnyguru observed in his review? http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/GameXStream700/index2.htm

What are the consequences of running a psu which is near/at/over the atx-specified 120mv of ripple?

PSU Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Nullvoid
    Does the GameXStream (and the FSP epsilon it is based upon) deserve to remain a tier 2 product given the level of ripple jonnyguru observed in his review? http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/GameXStream700/index2.htm

What are the consequences of running a psu which is near/at/over the atx-specified 120mv of ripple?
    Honestly, I think I'd move them to tier 3 at this point. I just don't care for that much ripple, though they still aren't that bad considering the price. There are a few FSP models that could stay in tier 2, but they're older independantly regulated server oriented designs that have poor efficiency. Except the Zen fanless that is. I expect the following will all outperform the Epsilon design for ripple:

FSP550PLG-SLI (aka FSP550-60PLG with PCI-E connectors)
    FSP550-60PLN (dual 18A 12v rails)
    FSP460-60PFN (dual 12v)
    Zen (fanless, dual 12v, not too powerful but extremely efficient)
    Jetway HA07-Ultra, Phenom 9600, 4GB G.Skill 1066, Antec CP-1000, 3R Ice Age, Ultra Aluminus, HD2600XT, WD Black 640GB, Seagate 500GB 7200.11, Maxtor 200GB Diamondmax 10, Lite-On 48125W, Pioneer DVR-115D, Plextor PX-716SA

Xtreme Member
    if you do make a Tier 1.5, it's where XCLio GreatPower goes. GoodPower should probably not be "not recommended" but somewhere more about decent for non-OCed systems, whichever tier that is.

I've been using XCLio since they came out. awesome supplies, especially at that competetive a price point.

Xtreme Addict
    Did I miss something or was there a reasoning established on why the PCP&C >=610 got tier 1, but Seasonic, who makes at least the 750 was Tier 2? Do they do a bang up job for their PCP&C model?

This is an honest question not a commentary. I really just want to understand This is not always easy to tell in text.

Thank you

Xtreme Addict
    Who says that the PCP&C Silencer 750 is made by Seasonic? It's a single 12V rail design and I don't know of any Seasonic with a single rail with that much current output. It would probably be a nice seller for Seasonic if they also made a Silencer 750 under thier own brandname and sold it, they also have better distribution then PCP&C.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The silencer is made by seasonic helmore. All silencers are I think.

Xtreme Member
    Seasonic (S and M series) is overal better then PCP&C imo.
    They have better efficiency/pf and almost no noise. They are also better available and not that expensive!(I am not saying PCP&C is bad, hell no )

Nevertheless PCP&C got a titan in their rangs, the 1KWatter.

I completly agree with the list but one or the best brand isn't in Tier1 . Certainly the M serie looks nifty

(Owned all Tier1 brands except Emacs)
    E6400@3.2GHZ | P5B deluxe |8800GTS 512MB | 2*250GB Hitachi + 500GB WD|
    Aerocool masstige | Seasonic 600W |
    MX510@450HZ | 24" LG 245WP
    Cooled by: Swiftech storm - MCP 655 - Maze4/EK vodni block - Nexxos Dual Extreme

A64 3000+@2.9ghz // XP M 2500+@2.5ghz // XP M 2600+@2.6ghz benchable at 2.9ghz superpi 35s //
    AMD opteron 146@3GHZ CABYE APMW batch 0076

Xtreme Member
    What about Aopen 700W series, they are decent. (tier 1-2 ?)
    E6400@3.2GHZ | P5B deluxe |8800GTS 512MB | 2*250GB Hitachi + 500GB WD|
    Aerocool masstige | Seasonic 600W |
    MX510@450HZ | 24" LG 245WP
    Cooled by: Swiftech storm - MCP 655 - Maze4/EK vodni block - Nexxos Dual Extreme

A64 3000+@2.9ghz // XP M 2500+@2.5ghz // XP M 2600+@2.6ghz benchable at 2.9ghz superpi 35s //
    AMD opteron 146@3GHZ CABYE APMW batch 0076

I am Xtreme
    So between:

Enermax Noisetaker 600W
    vs
    OCZ GameXStream 700W

for Dual core OC/potentially 4x core and SLI
    4HDDs, two Opticals, 5-6 120MM Fans

the OCZ would be the wiser choice?
    Last edited by phelan1777; 08-25-2006 at 10:19 AM.
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777
    So between:

Enermax Noisetaker 600W
    vs
    OCZ GameXStream 700W

for Dual core OC/potentially 4x core and SLI
    4HDDs, two Opticals, 5-6 120MM Fans

the OCZ would be the wiser choice?
    Most likely yes.

Perkam

Xtreme PSU Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by 187(V)URD@
    What about Aopen 700W series, they are decent. (tier 1-2 ?)
    They are FSP.

Xtreme Addict
    Agreed with the above, when you factor in quietness as a required ability, the pcp&c's fall below the seasonics. But if you ignore that the list is good.

If Seasonic made a 700-750 and and an 850 (for the quad folks) in their own name, things would get interesting. As it is the pcp&c 750 reverts back to the 80mm fan thing and thus, is right out, well unless you want to throw it in a server room you never go into.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast