Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Official XS Power Supply Ranking Phase I

PSU Expert
    They've been out for a while, but they're hard to find. Those few I know of who have one got them direct from Zippy. IIRC they're rated at 17Ax4 @12v.
    Jetway HA07-Ultra, Phenom 9600, 4GB G.Skill 1066, Antec CP-1000, 3R Ice Age, Ultra Aluminus, HD2600XT, WD Black 640GB, Seagate 500GB 7200.11, Maxtor 200GB Diamondmax 10, Lite-On 48125W, Pioneer DVR-115D, Plextor PX-716SA

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hiper could be bumped up a notch or two imo, I have a Hiper Type-R 580w that's working solidly on my oc'ed 805/x1900gt machine. It's recieved some good reviews & was only about £55-60 iirc. Modular cable system on this model.

Also, Akasa make some decent PSU's; I have a 400w PaxPower model in my opty144@2.8, no problems whatsoever & pretty cheap too (like this one)

Xtreme PSU Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by jimwah
    Hiper could be bumped up a notch or two imo, I have a Hiper Type-R 580w that's working solidly on my oc'ed 805/x1900gt machine. It's recieved some good reviews & was only about £55-60 iirc. Modular cable system on this model.
    No.
    In the UK it's different because you're using 230V so you can get higher wattages out of a PSU because the amperage is lower, but the Hiper 580W is based off of an Andyson 550W. 30W out of thin air?

At least Hiper didn't do what Aerocool did: ZeroDBA 620W == Andyson 550W??

Also, the modular connectors are "missing a wire." Take the 2x2 for the CPU for example: One 12V lead, one ground, split into two and two. That's why Hiper themselves tell you not to use the PSU with motherboards that require an 8-pin EPS+12V connector. Can you imagine the resistance of 4 into 2 on an adapter and then 2 into 1 at the modular interface? Yikes!

Of all the Andyson built units: Hiper, Aerocool, Sunbeamtech, AC Ryan... the Hiper should be the one NOT bumped up the list.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Fair play, that's why you're the xtreme PSU tester. Its got decent reviews where I've read them & it works fine for me, therefore I can't knock it really. Should I go plug this in to my DX rig & see if it can handle it? lol

Xtreme PSU Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by jimwah
    Fair play, that's why you're the xtreme PSU tester. Its got decent reviews where I've read them & it works fine for me, therefore I can't knock it really. Should I go plug this in to my DX rig & see if it can handle it? lol
    Hey.. I nver said it was bad.

Andyson has a great group of engineers and they can make a really good product.

It's just that there's better out there. Especially for really high end type systems.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Silencer 750 EPS12V Technical Specifications:

AC Input
    Operating Range: 90-264 VAC
    .99 power factor
    Frequency: 47-63Hz
    Current: 12A
    Efficiency: 83%
    EMI: FCC-B, CE
    DC Output
    Output: +5V @ 30A
    +12V @ 60A
    -12V @ 0.8A
    +3.3V @ 24A
    +5VSB @ 3A
    continuous = 750W
    peak = 825W
    Regulation: 3% (+3.3V, +5V, +12V)
    5% (-12V)
    Ripple: 1% (p-p)
    Hold Time: 16ms
    PG Delay: 300ms
    Safety
    OV Protection: +3.3V, +5V, +12V
    OC Protection: 135% OPP
    Agency Approval: UL/ULC/CE/CB
    Environmental
    Temperature: 0° - 40°C
    Humidity: 20% - 80% RH
    Fan Type: 22 - 55 CFM ball-bearing
    Noise: 28 - 42dB(A)
    Miscellaneous
    Compatibility: ATX12V (2.2) / EPS12V
    M/B Connectors: 24-pin, 8-pin, 4-pin, dual 6-pin Video
    Drive Connectors: 15 (6 SATA, 1 mini)
    MTBF: 100,000 hours
    Dimensions/Harness: See Diagram
    Warranty: 3 Years
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Member
    Add Mushkin 650w to Tier 1
    L627A107

Live Long And Overclock
    Lev the silencer is already up there (All > 610 models) and Detonator, the mushkin enhanced series IS the mushkin 650w...and is also already in Tier 1.

Perkam

XS_THE_MACHINE
    So what would you guys mention for a rig like this (I'll exagerate the clocks since I havent put it together yet):
    Gigabyte GA-K8NSC
    AMD 3700 San Diego @ 2.7 1.7v
    2x512 tccc @ 2.8v
    ATI x850 xt (stock volts)
    2x cd-rw drives
    2x hard drives
    5x 80mm fans
    THanks for any help you guys can give
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by moddolicous
    So what would you guys mention for a rig like this (I'll exagerate the clocks since I havent put it together yet):
    Gigabyte GA-K8NSC
    AMD 3700 San Diego @ 2.7 1.7v
    2x512 tccc @ 2.8v
    ATI x850 xt (stock volts)
    2x cd-rw drives
    2x hard drives
    5x 80mm fans
    THanks for any help you guys can give
    Hey moddolicious,

That rig can be powered very well with some sub $100 PSUs. Whats your price range ?

Perkam

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Well, I'd like to keep it around the $100 price range, as I also have to get a new case, hard drives and fans. Recommend me a couple perkam, lol.

clicks to save kids

Live Long And Overclock
    Here you go:

Enough to Power Your Rig:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817104954

Enough for OC:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817103929

Enough in case you get an X1900 or/and an X2:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817256001

Perkam

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Thanks perkam. I think I'll go with the silverstone SST-ST50EF.

clicks to save kids

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by moddolicous
    Thanks perkam. I think I'll go with the silverstone SST-ST50EF.
    Super Efficient, RoHs Compliant, and a choice I can recommend with confidence of the brand

Don't put in a 939 rig and forget about it though ...cos you won't need an upgrade when you go either conroe or am2 with that psu

Perkam

Wanna look under my kilt?
    What about EZ-Cool?

And the new Be-Quiet PSUs? (looks like a Topower effort...but mega expensive)

Thanks,

K
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by K404
    What about EZ-Cool?

And the new Be-Quiet PSUs? (looks like a Topower effort...but mega expensive)

Thanks,

K
    Never heard of those...which brand ?

Perkam

Be-Quiet is German, a subsidiary of Listan, if that means anything to ya? Doesnt to me...

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/...ower/index.htm

EZ-Cool...
    http://www.cjcomputers.co.uk/prodpag...-e_ezcool.html

Sorry, I cant find any company details
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme PSU Tester
    Yeah.. Those are pretty "local" brands.

I aint disagreeing with ya, but given the prices of Be-Quiet PSUs...i`d hope for them to be more than "local" Very similar to Tagan...accessories, packaging, external design (cant comment on internal) etc
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer
    Looks like you just threw everything you knew nothing about in the tier 5 category. Your blanket statements are really going to mess people up. It would be more professional to leave out brands you have no information, knowledge, or experience with instead of junking the names.

What do you have againist the Coolermaster igreen line?
    What do you have that shows scythe to be tier 5?
    Again, what are you basing your decision on that xclio goodpower is any worse then the ultra X2?
    Well said.

Was this list comprised using the method "The more expensive,the better"?
    “I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” - Stephen Roberts

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by oicurafox2000
    Well said.

Was this list comprised using the method "The more expensive,the better"?
    well if you disagree with something say what it is and it will be changed.....

Aint No Real Gangster
    id really like to know where you got these ratings from.

because they dont seem to take into account material quality at all.

ive seen hipro 250W units chocked full of rubycon caps, while antect and thermaltake are full of fujyhui(sp?) and capxon.

not to mention all of those psus listed are made by about only 5 companies.

when it comes to wether or not your psu blows and takes everything with it really depends on cap quality. a good design will still have cap failures with crappy caps.

and id trust a set of rubycon primary caps over some capxon crap anyday.

not to mention, what does it say when a "cheap" powersupply uses higher quality caps than a expensive "top end"?

EDIT: also RoHS compliant is NOT something id look for in purchasing a psu because RoHS compliant solder requires much higher heat to melt it, and many manufactures dont heat it hot enough and have bad solder joints, or the excess heat causes un needed stress on the componets.
    Last edited by WeStSiDePLaYa; 07-28-2006 at 07:59 AM.
    Specs
    Asus 780i Striker II Formula
    Intel E8400 Wolfdale @ 4050Mhz
    2x2GB OCZ Platinum @ 1200Mhz 5-4-3-18
    MSI 5850 1000Mhz/5000Mhz
    Wester Digital Black 2TB
    Antec Quatro 850W

Cooling
    Swiftech Apogee
    Swiftech MCP-600
    HardwareLabes Black Ice Extreme 2

Audio Setup
    X-fi w/AD8066, Clock mod, & polymer caps > PPAV2 > Grado SR60 & Grado SR325i & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro & Beyerdynamic DT990 & AKG K701 & Denon D2000

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by melymel2789
    well if you disagree with something say what it is and it will be changed.....
    Its not about what can be changed,its a question of where are you getting the info from. Who is doing the testing for these products to categorize them in such a way. What components are being used in each of the PSU's. What fab/who is actually buiding them,not what brand name they are. Just want more info on where they received their info. Personally I would take a Xclio (5th tier)over a OCZ modstream (3rd tier)which suck because they're Topower P5 based.

Another thing,why not have the actual manufacturers names,i.e..Enhance,Seventeam,Zippy.....For those who don't know OCZ,Antec,amongst hundreds more,are not manufacturers.
    Last edited by oicurafox2000; 07-28-2006 at 08:22 AM.
    “I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” - Stephen Roberts

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by oicurafox2000
    Its not about what can be changed,its a question of where are you getting the info from. Who is doing the testing for these products to categorize them in such a way. What components are being used in each of the PSU's. What fab/who is actually buiding them,not what brand name they are. Just want more info on where they received their info. Personally I would take a Xclio (5th tier)over a OCZ modstream (3rd tier)which suck because they're Topower P5 based.

Another thing,why not have the actual manufacturers names,i.e..Enhance,Seventeam,Zippy.....For those who don't know OCZ,Antec,amongst hundreds more,are not manufacturers.
    This guide was never supposed to replicate any other guide out there...hence my hesitation of putting of the more "unheard of" brands up in Tier 1 and Tier 2. Not to mention this is Phase II of the guide, Phase III will be there before the guid'es final...right now it isn't, but its something.

Seriously though, if you can't make constructive comments indicating which PSUs should go where, then you shouldn't post. Heck you don't need to give me proof to tell me where to put it, as long as you've tested/seen/heard that its good i'll take it into SERIOUS consideration...because the guide IS IN ITS DEVELOPMENTAL STAGES.

But maybe I know why some people find it easier just to criticize...because it doesn't involve any research, and it doesn't involve being open to new ideas. This is the 5th guide I'm making in the span of less than 2 months, and it has taken A LOT of my time and energy getting feedback...I've had to go back on statements, I've had to change my own beliefs about brands, its been a very enriching process for me and I actually have fun doing this stuff because a new member, using this guide, doesn't have to be JonnyGURU or Oklahoma Wolf to know which PSU is right for him...that was the purpose of the guide from the very beginning...

Perkam

Xtreme Member
    I believe the list is coming along nicely. Keep up the good work perkam. BTW today I am buying a silencer 750. WOOT.
    P182
    E6400 @ stock
    Asus P5B Deluxe
    8800 GTS 320 mb
    G.skill PC6400 2x2 gigs
    CL x-fi xtreme music
    PCP&C Silencer 750
    3 x 160 gb 16 mb cache WD r.e. hard drives (raid 0)
    Dual Layer burner
    Ultima 90
    Vista 32

Coming soon: 4x4 or penryn, another 4 gb's of memory, and Vista 64

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast