Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Official XS Power Supply Ranking Phase I

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by melymel2789
    Have you missed Q-tec for a reason? as they should be at the bottom!! I always see people buying these for high powered rigs because they're cheap in price and highly availiable but they must be accountable for a fair majority of pc death's including my old 939 i got when 939 just came out so people need to be warned about these.
    Done

Xtreme Cruncher
    perk bro seasonic made most of silencer for pc power and cooling now they make them so if seasonic is 1 tier silencer series are tier 1
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Just got my Thermaltake ToughPower 700w, Glad to see it is showed in Tier2 here.

why are the coolermasters in tier 4. I had nothing but good luck with it. it's got great reviews all over the web. (high effieciency, decent noise levels, good thermals).
    but yet you've rated it a tier 4????

what are the certia for the tiers????
    Asus Maximus Formula X38 SE
    pentium D830
    COOLER MASTER KHC-L91-U2
    OCZ Gold/Platinum PC6400 3 gig
    soundblaster x-fi XPS
    coolermaster realpower 550
    iStarUSA S-10000BL
    HIS X1950 Pro 512mb

Xtreme Member
    Looks like you just threw everything you knew nothing about in the tier 5 category. Your blanket statements are really going to mess people up. It would be more professional to leave out brands you have no information, knowledge, or experience with instead of junking the names.

What do you have againist the Coolermaster igreen line?
    What do you have that shows scythe to be tier 5?
    Again, what are you basing your decision on that xclio goodpower is any worse then the ultra X2?
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 07-23-2006 at 10:35 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer
    Looks like you just threw everything you knew nothing about in the tier 5 category. Your blanket statements are really going to mess people up. It would be more professional to leave out brands you have no information, knowledge, or experience with instead of junking the names.

What do you have againist the Coolermaster igreen line?
    What do you have that shows scythe to be tier 5?
    Again, what are you basing your decision on that xclio is any worse then ultra?
    Well if you read the first post Perkam has requested our help in the list to make it better so if you have a problem with a placing give a reason and some proof to back it up and he will more than likely move it. JonnyGuru has also given some input into this and he knows his psu's, so i'm going to trust his judgement. So rather than acting like an a$$ how about being constructive as I will not disagree with your point as I don't know about those psu's either and that's probably why they're tier 5, better to be safe than sorry, so please inform us....

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by melymel2789
    Well if you read the first post Perkam has requested our help in the list to make it better so if you have a problem with a placing give a reason and some proof to back it up and he will more than likely move it. JonnyGuru has also given some input into this and he knows his psu's, so i'm going to trust his judgement. So rather than acting like an a$$ how about being constructive as I will not disagree with your point as I don't know about those psu's either and that's probably why they're tier 5, better to be safe than sorry, so please inform us....
    How is that acting like an ass?
    A list like this isn't helping anyone. I could understand one that adds names to the tiers as reviews and experience are added, but junking names until otherwise shown isn't good. You end up turning away people with the experience and knowledge cause the list doesn't have the credibility it needs to survive. Hell, if jonnyguru can't make a list he was happy with...that should say something; this needs approached with extreme caution.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Don't forget Deer PSUs
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer
    How is that acting like an ass?
    A list like this isn't helping anyone. I could understand one that adds names to the tiers as reviews and experience are added, but junking names until otherwise shown isn't good. You end up turning away people with the experience and knowledge cause the list doesn't have the credibility it needs to survive. Hell, if jonnyguru can't make a list he was happy with...that should say something; this needs approached with extreme caution.
    Relax. I said I'll take suggestions into consideration and I will.

Just list which PSUs you believe belong in which Tiers and I'll put them there. I don't assume to know more than anyone else here about PSUs. The purpose of this is to avoid ANYONE making blanket statements so that even the newest user doesn't feel bad about his/her purchase.

Format:

Xclio GreatPower - Tier x
    x - Tier x

And if I believe there's a conflict, I'll ask you to give brief proof and I'm sure that won't be a problem

And try to stay off the red bull ominous gamer...this isn't the first thread where we've seen that attitude.

Perkam

Xtreme Cruncher
    instead crying why you dont point us in the right direction of the no name psus so we can move them....

for perk and this work

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme PSU Tester
    A few comments from personal experience....

Personally, I think Ablecom/Supermicro (Lite-On) should be higher up the list. Tier 1 or 2.

Acbel's like Asus and Cooler Master Real Power should be Tier 2 or 3.

I also think that Topower built units like the Tagans and Mushkin need to be knocked down to Tier 2. As should the lone Fortron up in Tier 1.

The Antec NeoPower is actually built better than the True Power/True Control units. I'd actually swap the two or at least have them on the same tier.

I wouldn't put any Enermax below any CWT built Antec on the tiers. Any Enermax is better than almost any Antec.

AMS Mercury might be inexpensive and lack bling, but they belong in either Tier 2 or 3.

You have Masscool down in Tier 5. Even though Masscool's are relabeled Nextherms which are made by SevenTeam which is up in Tier 2. Same with XG. Most XG's are also SevenTeams that we can get in the states under the SevenTeam brand.
    Last edited by jonnyGURU; 07-23-2006 at 12:56 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Norwood Micro/ CompUSA = Tier 5
    Star Micro = Tier 5 ( i cant remember if i read it or not)

Great Work Perkam and the Other Gents who are involved.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU
    A few comments from personal experience....

Personally, I think Ablecom/Supermicro (Lite-On) should be higher up the list. Tier 1 or 2.

Acbel's like Asus and Cooler Master Real Power should be Tier 2 or 3.

I also think that Topower built units like the Tagans and Mushkin need to be knocked down to Tier 2. As should the lone Fortron up in Tier 1.

The Antec NeoPower is actually built better than the True Power/True Control units. I'd actually swap the two or at least have them on the same tier.

I wouldn't put any Enermax below any CWT built Antec on the tiers. Any Enermax is better than almost any Antec.

AMS Mercury might be inexpensive and lack bling, but they belong in either Tier 2 or 3.

You have Masscool down in Tier 5. Even though Masscool's are relabeled Nextherms which are made by SevenTeam which is up in Tier 2. Same with XG. Most XG's are also SevenTeams that we can get in the states under the SevenTeam brand.
    If the FSP in tier 1 goes down, the OCZ GameeXtreme should go down too - and not stay just beacuse its OCZ

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Perkam maybe you think 5 tiers is enough but... I think more is needed lol. :-(

I mean the Fortrons are some of the best but are the really even with zippy and pcpower and cooling. Also the ZF line from silverstone only the 56ZF and 75ZF and 85ZF are etasis models... I may be wrong but if you look at the rail distribution the 65ZF looks pretty distinct to enhance.

Maybe it should be like this.

Tier 1: Some of the best build quality and power. Will handle pretty much anything. Zippy, Etasis, Supermicro, PCP&C, etc...

Tier 2: This will handle your heavy-gaming machines. REally gaming machines do not use THAT much power or require that much stabilty Companies care more about the server market for that and that would be tier 1. FSP would be here. Enermax, Seasonic, Silverstone.

tier 3: Mildly overclocked systems above average but not great. If you overclock and tier 2 isn't in your price range. Say Antec's that aren't the newer NeoHE and some other antecs.

Tier 4: Average psu's that most people could use. Since jonny said the neopower was better than some of the others the rest could go here. Etc.. Not exactly sure... Cooler Master here.

Tier 5: Below average: umm?? not exactly sure.

Tier 6: don't use at all... youngyear, deer, no-name knockoffs...

Personally perkam I think the more tiers there are the more accurate...

Xtreme Member
    I don't think the tier idea works at all. I like the idea EOC used. They had a price range and wattage recommendation system, with a couple of choices for each price range for which ever wattage was needed. That way you were forced to use exact model numbers, no chance of off the wall blanket statements and it was much easier for a user to pin down what PSU was the best choice.
    Plus that site had the reviews, hardware, and experience to back up what ended up on the list.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 07-23-2006 at 03:00 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    why wattage any manufacturer can inflate wattage numbers.... i can make any psu go 100w if i put it under 0° condition

this idea is far better

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leviathan18
    why wattage any manufacturer can inflate wattage numbers.... i can make any psu go 100w if i put it under 0° condition

this idea is far better
    Thats why there is a recommendation list. Thats the whole point of it. So people know which PSU to buy for which wattage and which price range. If a PSU can't perform what it claims, why would it end up on the list?

Your post is like saying Raidmax would just be Tier 1.
    Seriously, think about it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    what perk is doing is putting known good psus that holds any kind of OC and sli xfire and new systems in the best spots.....

Xtreme Member
    why only list certain zippy models? You only have the 700w and 850w zippy models listed. oh, i see. why is the HG2 series tier two? what about HP2 series? I have the HP2-6500P (500w) and I know that the japanese oc world record breakers used a HP-6460P (460w) for years, including for prescott and presler.

just say ALL ZIPPY / EMACS

Also why are enermax, FSP, topower, and even seasonic/pcp&c silencer in the same tier as PCP&C turbocools and zippys
    what sets the high wattage silencers apart from the lower wattage ones? they're newer?
    While it's obvious a lot of research has been done to compile this list, it still "feels" a little arbitrary.
    what sets the enermax noisetaker II's apart from the whisper II's, and how do you even know that the enermax galaxy will be equal in quality, performance, and value as zippys and PCP&C turbocools?
    Reading jonnyguru's list on his website, it never felt arbitrary or hap-hazard. I trusted it. but this one does. I don't know why. It's almost as though you are trying too hard to be precise (i.e., breaking down brand names to different product lines), maybe it would be better if you cited your reasons for each listing.

Xtreme Member
    Truepower II and TrueControl II are great PSU's they should be Tier 1

Lol, I guy i Know has 7950 with Logisys PSU :P

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by DeToNaToR.cl
    Truepower II and TrueControl II are great PSU's they should be Tier 1

Lol, I guy i Know has 7950 with Logisys PSU :P
    I'm seeing a lot of trends in the feedback I'm getting so I'll make changes based on those.

Ominous gamer, the whole purpose of the guide is so that its different from the ones in EOC and DFI Street, I've seen them

Detonator, that ISN"T consistent with what I'm seeing. They're good PSUs, but a pcpower/top power unit is just better made...

Though looks like top power units may need a space of their...I've hesitated to do so because they, like the zippy's, can handle a lot of watts before they even begin to show signs of ANY wear or tear.

I'll continue to put them in tiers with priority to performance levels, instead of who made the components.

Perkam

PSU Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwie
    what about HP2 series? I have the HP2-6500P (500w) and I know that the japanese oc world record breakers used a HP-6460P (460w) for years, including for prescott and presler.
    These units don't regulate quite as well as the high end Zippys... no independant circuitry for all 3 main rails, which is reflected in the lower price. They're still very good and extremely reliable though.
    Jetway HA07-Ultra, Phenom 9600, 4GB G.Skill 1066, Antec CP-1000, 3R Ice Age, Ultra Aluminus, HD2600XT, WD Black 640GB, Seagate 500GB 7200.11, Maxtor 200GB Diamondmax 10, Lite-On 48125W, Pioneer DVR-115D, Plextor PX-716SA

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf
    These units don't regulate quite as well as the high end Zippys... no independant circuitry for all 3 main rails, which is reflected in the lower price. They're still very good and extremely reliable though.
    Added HP2 to Tier 2 along with HG2 series

Perkam

PSU Expert
    While we're at it, the two quad 12v Zippys could be added to tier 1 too - SSL-9800P and SSL-9850P
    Jetway HA07-Ultra, Phenom 9600, 4GB G.Skill 1066, Antec CP-1000, 3R Ice Age, Ultra Aluminus, HD2600XT, WD Black 640GB, Seagate 500GB 7200.11, Maxtor 200GB Diamondmax 10, Lite-On 48125W, Pioneer DVR-115D, Plextor PX-716SA

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf
    While we're at it, the two quad 12v Zippys could be added to tier 1 too - SSL-9800P and SSL-9850P
    So there's a new Zippy SSL Series thats coming out

Perkam

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast