Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [H] said : Firing Squid Wastes their Ink

I am a staff member at a long established modding and hardware site that also used to be on good terms with [H]

I am not exactly sure how it started (Nor does it realy matter) but our site owner (Gary "GlitterKill" Mullins) and Kyle have not been on speaking terms for quite some time...there have been quite a few staff threads on the subject...it goes back much farther than my start date, but I do remember back when we used to post news and review links on each others sites.

Now if one of our Forum Members tries to post on his site, even if it's a reasonable question or statement, upon admitting where they are from, they are BANNED automatically

Here is the thread going on at our site

http://forums.pcapex.com/anything_go...thodology.html

We deal with a few "Asshats" in our forums, most will just shut up when you prove they are talking out there ass, and are quickly put on probation or banned if they are too offensive, or way outta line with "Unfounded" personal attacks.

But on occasion we will get a real "Smart" smartass, and if they can hold there own with logic, reason and facts behind the "Juvinile attitude" they are allowed to stay as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

Not long ago there was an issue with another site (Hardware Hell/Gamers Hell) I don't need to get into specifics, but I recently made friends with a staff member from that site, and we got to the bottom of it.

When he took it to the site owner (Who had no idea what was going on) the problem was resolved with no hard feelings!

Bottom line IMO? Kyle has a Napolean complex and feels the need to be the "Big Man" who is always right

Napoleon complex (or Napoleon syndrome) is a colloquial term used to describe a type of inferiority complex suffered by people who are short. The term is also used more generally to describe people who are driven by a perceived handicap to overcompensate in other aspects of their lives

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_complex

He certainly needs to learn how to be the bigger man, he who shouts [H]ardest and loudest does not win the contest..especially when your the only one who thinks that way.

I applaud him for taking a step outside the "Canned benches" but it was nothing groundshakingly new other than his particular spin on it, FRAPS type testing had been done at other sites long before.

To disregaurd them completely would be like removing quarter mile, top speed, skid pad and other ratings from Motor Trends car reviews because no one can drive that aggresively or faster than 70MPH on public roads
    Last edited by $SOLID$ Necro; 07-21-2006 at 12:47 AM.

Xtreme Member
    First site I go to? Anandtech. Some people may not like them, but I've never been let down by em and I sure as hell don't have to worry about silly political site wars.

Xtreme Recruit
    Personally I am wondering about the issue they claim they had with the 7950?
    I have run one on a 965 board (granted not Asus)and the D975XBX and did not have any issues.
    I do know that from testing SLI and Crossfire tend to be more CPU limted than a single GPU.

Also as mentioned the most common resolution is 1280x1024, 99% of 19" LCDs run at this and even 20 and 23" are not much higher.

either way I suppose the most offending thing was the initial slamming of every other site.

Xtreme Member
    I still go to H but not as much as before. I still go to the forums and I never really went to the "mother" site. So I'm clueless to that... However, I don't know if it's because I know more now and not that much of a noob, lol, but finding things that really make me go wow has become so infrequent. In fact a lot of postings have links to XS!!! LOL

I'm glad I was referred here by 2 guys that actually have helpled a lot at H. I won't mention names, not to cause trouble, 1 posted on this thread

This is a great place

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanfox
    First site I go to? Anandtech. Some people may not like them, but I've never been let down by em and I sure as hell don't have to worry about silly political site wars.
    agreed. I like Firingsquad a lot actually. Their reviews are pretty thorough and unbiased. xbitlabs is usually pretty good as well.

Live Long And Overclock
    Firing Squad has one of most consistent reviews I know of. When considering a new gpu purchase or when comparing hardware with friends, I go to firingsquad first.

Perkam

I am Xtreme
    Wow... I like hardocps new testing method, although it would be much better with CF/SLI, or without aa/af, or at 1280*1024, but the way he is acting is just stupid.
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Xtreme Member
    It's not really the testing method that is getting so many people upset moreso the comments about other sites methods.
    something new coming soon

c[_]
    They should include an apples to apples setting (or two) as well as their apples to oranges ones.

The explenation "it was unplayable" for apples to apples with no data to back up the statements makes the apples to oranges comparisons rather quite worthless

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I completely agree with Kyle on this one. I read all of Kyles pieces on Conroe and for none 3d game testing Conroe came out well ahead as you would expect. However 3d games have for a long time relied on the video card to get the IQ and frame rate up and not the cpu. In the old days you needed a bit of both but now, since the advent of mathematical shaders rather than textures, look up tables, fetches etc etc the onus is very much more on the video card. And it will become even more so.

So what is the point of a website "showing" a cpu is better than another by putting up a benchmark where one cpu gets 150fps and one gets only 120fps at 1024x768. Nobody plays fps games like that. The only people who play games like that have a low to mid range video card and really they should not be upgrading their cpu at all but getting a better video card first.

Take this for an example

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...ance/page9.asp

"Here we can truly see the benefits of dual-core processing, the Athlon 64 FX-57, the fastest gaming processor you could buy at the end of last year (alongside the X2 4800+), is trounced by the dual-core CPUs we tested"

Yeah trounced baby ..take that !

The FX-57 only did 76 fps which you have to admit is damn jerky .. Is that real world ? Year 2006AD and pushing big blocks around a screen at 800x600 either at 76 or 135 fps ?

When they do get to real world then it's still about 60fps at reaslly nice resolutions. You can use any cpu in the real world. I think FS are just embarrassed to be honest at following the crowd of silly low resolutions.

You know, I have not read Kyle for ages before these articles and I don't find his hard assed way very clever to be honest, however my dislike of how he does things does not mean I cannot say when he is right when he is, and to me in this case he is right.

Hey, and if you mention futureproof then you are on the wrong site ..nothing is futureproof and we would not want that even if it is true. Buying faster hardware makes the world go round.

Regards

Andy

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam
    Firing Squad has one of most consistent reviews I know of. When considering a new gpu purchase or when comparing hardware with friends, I go to firingsquad first.

Perkam
    Interestingly if you talk to people who also run websites they will not have too much of a bad word to say about Scott Wasson at techreport.com.

Check out their front page today, they just ooze quality.

Regards

Andy ( no way paid for by Scott .. honnest ! )

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zakelwe
    I completely agree with Kyle on this one. I read all of Kyles pieces on Conroe and for none 3d game testing Conroe came out well ahead as you would expect. However 3d games have for a long time relied on the video card to get the IQ and frame rate up and not the cpu. In the old days you needed a bit of both but now, since the advent of mathematical shaders rather than textures, look up tables, fetches etc etc the onus is very much more on the video card. And it will become even more so.

So what is the point of a website "showing" a cpu is better than another by putting up a benchmark where one cpu gets 150fps and one gets only 120fps at 1024x768. Nobody plays fps games like that. The only people who play games like that have a low to mid range video card and really they should not be upgrading their cpu at all but getting a better video card first.

Take this for an example

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...ance/page9.asp

"Here we can truly see the benefits of dual-core processing, the Athlon 64 FX-57, the fastest gaming processor you could buy at the end of last year (alongside the X2 4800+), is trounced by the dual-core CPUs we tested"

Yeah trounced baby ..take that !

The FX-57 only did 76 fps which you have to admit is damn jerky .. Is that real world ? Year 2006AD and pushing big blocks around a screen at 800x600 either at 76 or 135 fps ?

When they do get to real world then it's still about 60fps at reaslly nice resolutions. You can use any cpu in the real world. I think FS are just embarrassed to be honest at following the crowd of silly low resolutions.

You know, I have not read Kyle for ages before these articles and I don't find his hard assed way very clever to be honest, however my dislike of how he does things does not mean I cannot say when he is right when he is, and to me in this case he is right.

Hey, and if you mention futureproof then you are on the wrong site ..nothing is futureproof and we would not want that even if it is true. Buying faster hardware makes the world go round.

Regards

Andy

I hope you're sarcastic

Don't you want to get the best out of your money? If we base our choice on high resolution benchmarks, which shows that all CPU are the same, people may choose FX-57 over a C2D. The point of low-res is to show the performance superiority over other CPU, same reason 3dmark01 is still strong here.

If you're talking about XS style, then would you want to bench/beat WR with last gen hardware? You'd obviously want the upper-hand, and get a chip that performs, and scales better than the other ones.
    Waiting for Crysis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12