Thread: $300 Gaming CPU's: AMD 5000+ Versus Intel E6600

Xtreme News

$300 Gaming CPU's: AMD 5000+ Versus Intel E6600

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/365/1/

Our testing showed that when gaming at high resolutions the limiting factor is not the processor, but is actually the graphics card. This was shown to be true in three out of the six games that we benchmarked. We used the ATI Radeon X1900XTX graphics card, which is the fastest single card GPU on the market (not counting the NVIDIA 7950GX2) and comes priced at a healthy $499 so it's not like we put in a weak video card by any means. The reason we didn't run X1900 CrossFire is because how many people can really afford it to start with? Most gamers we know still run a single GPU and no physics card! We tried to make our testing go along with what marketing data has shown in recent months.

Xtreme Addict
    amd loses at stock, and the intel overclocks far further whereas you'd be very lucky to get an extra 400mhz from the amd 5000+.

I do have to say I'm very impressed by amd's price cuts though, as in the uk, you'd be lucky to get a socket 939 3800+ for the us price of an am2 5000+.

Shame that if your willing to upgrade a whole system,you may as well go conroe - a socket 939 5000+ at that price would be very appealing however for those of use with 939 stuff still lying around - make a very nice secondary system for a htpc.

Xtreme Gamer
    Quote Originally Posted by onewingedangel
    amd loses at stock, and the intel overclocks far further whereas you'd be very lucky to get an extra 400mhz from the amd 5000+.
    65nm > 90nm obviously

Yup, thats gotta be painful for AMD, mind you they are in some ways like intel: They were basicly out of gaming for about 3 years mean while they were updating FABs, and new Tech. AMD: Was basicly out of new tech, and creating new fabs for about 3 years, but now both companies are doing just that.

Aint No Real Gangster
    well, they probably should have benched 64-bit farcry.

besides that nothing new.
    Specs
    Asus 780i Striker II Formula
    Intel E8400 Wolfdale @ 4050Mhz
    2x2GB OCZ Platinum @ 1200Mhz 5-4-3-18
    MSI 5850 1000Mhz/5000Mhz
    Wester Digital Black 2TB
    Antec Quatro 850W

Cooling
    Swiftech Apogee
    Swiftech MCP-600
    HardwareLabes Black Ice Extreme 2

Audio Setup
    X-fi w/AD8066, Clock mod, & polymer caps > PPAV2 > Grado SR60 & Grado SR325i & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro & Beyerdynamic DT990 & AKG K701 & Denon D2000

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onewingedangel

I do have to say I'm very impressed by amd's price cuts though, as in the uk, you'd be lucky to get a socket 939 3800+ for the us price of an am2 5000+.

Shame that if your willing to upgrade a whole system,you may as well go conroe - a socket 939 5000+ at that price would be very appealing however for those of use with 939 stuff still lying around - make a very nice secondary system for a htpc.
    I totally agree with that last part...
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ @ 3.0GHz||Biostar TF560 A2+||4x1GB Team Xtreem D9s||Visiontek HD3870||WD 250GB||Seasonic SS-600HT
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ @ 2.6GHz||DFI NF4 Ultra-D||OCZ VX 4000 2-2-2-5||ATI X1900XT||Seagate 320GB||Seasonic S12 600

Xtreme Member
    To both companies credit, They make incredible cpus for gaming at the high end. It is just that with conroe you have more overhead to cover.

GPU prices just plain suck.
    Rig 1: E6400 @ 3.0Ghz // ASUS P5B-DLX // G.Skill 2GB DDR2 800 @ 4-4-3-4 // Western Digital and Seagate Drives = 1.5TB HDD // eVGA 9600GT KO
    Rig 2: FX-55 @ Stock // MSI nForce 4 Platinum // Mushkin 1GB DDR 400 @ 2.5-3-3 // Western Digital Caviar 160GB // Sapphire X1950PRO

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    that was a damn fine review if I do say so myself.
    simple, to the point, and best of all... no crazy graphs that are impossible messes to read (think Hard OCP or some of Anandtechs latest reviews, where it's just a series of squiggly lines on the screen and hard to deceifer what what means)

nice review.

it looks like, when it comes to low resolutions, the conroe seems to have a definate advantage, but at higher resolutions, it would be hard pressed for someone to be able to tell the difference between a good AM2 system and a good Conroe set up.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak
    that was a damn fine review if I do say so myself.
    simple, to the point, and best of all... no crazy graphs that are impossible messes to read (think Hard OCP or some of Anandtechs latest reviews, where it's just a series of squiggly lines on the screen and hard to deceifer what what means)

nice review.

it looks like, when it comes to low resolutions, the conroe seems to have a definate advantage, but at higher resolutions, it would be hard pressed for someone to be able to tell the difference between a good AM2 system and a good Conroe set up.
    So the main advantage of conroe is the insane OCing potencial.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Verisimilitude
    The chip itself is more complex, plus you have to factor in other material costs (memory, voltage circuitry, PCB, etc..). Also more production cost on the employment side and higher shipping.

Anyway from what I recall Intel has larger profit margins than nvidia, but don't quote me on this.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Mag
    The chip itself is more complex

plus you have to factor in other material costs (memory, voltage circuitry, PCB, etc..)

Also more production cost on the employment side and higher shipping.
    I could argue with you on this one; first off nVidia doesn't manufacture these, they have sister companies do it. So it varies.

Anyway from what I recall Intel has larger profit margins than nvidia
    In % margin yes, but Intel has been in the game alot longer.

I don't see how any of the above change this. It is companies job to meet the market, not the markets job to meet the company.
    Rig 1: E6400 @ 3.0Ghz // ASUS P5B-DLX // G.Skill 2GB DDR2 800 @ 4-4-3-4 // Western Digital and Seagate Drives = 1.5TB HDD // eVGA 9600GT KO
    Rig 2: FX-55 @ Stock // MSI nForce 4 Platinum // Mushkin 1GB DDR 400 @ 2.5-3-3 // Western Digital Caviar 160GB // Sapphire X1950PRO

Xtreme Addict
    I don't see how any of the above change this. It is companies job to meet the market, not the markets job to meet the company.
    Wasn't really arguing... Just posting

(slow at work here today)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Mag
    The chip itself is more complex, plus you have to factor in other material costs (memory, voltage circuitry, PCB, etc..). Also more production cost on the employment side and higher shipping.

Anyway from what I recall Intel has larger profit margins than nvidia, but don't quote me on this.
    Of course. Just compare prices of Intels and nVidia's High-End products.

X6800 = 1300$ (lets say 1000$)
    7900GTX (whole card not only GPU) = 450$

I think we need to compare like this:

X6800 + mobo = ~1250$
    7900GTX = 450$

lets say nvidia has 50$ profit from 1 card (not sure if it has so much...)
    while Intel has ~800$ from a piece. (without advertisments cost and etc.)

one more thing. Conroe is 65nm product, 7900GTX is 90nm.

difference is huge!

YouTube Addict
    In % margin yes, but Intel has been in the game alot longer.
    If I remember their 4004 was the thing that actually started the game
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was