Thread: Vreg Low ESR filter cap replacements

Xtreme Member

Vreg Low ESR filter cap replacements

I'm modding my P5W DH to put some of the Vcore filter caps on the backside of the board to make insulation more easier. ASUS uses Sanyo SEPC series low ESR 820uf caps, 7mO equivalent ESR. Can't find Sanyo but can get United Chemicon PSA series, 820uf super low ESR ~7mO equivalents.

It really should be OK to have 1/2 the phase, think the + side, using different brand filter caps, but you never know.

Anyone heard of problems when doing this?

Thanks....
    955 @ 5362 MHz on DD RBX @ 1.58v
    P5WD2-E Vcore mod, Vdim mod.
    8000ul @ 4,3,3,8 1170MHz @ 2.7v
    ATI 1900xtx, modded DDx18 / Modded EXOS II w/ Alphacool 1510
    Zippy 6850P

Where's me Beer?
    It will work, but don't plan on overclocking.
    If you need caps, send Big Pope a PM. I'm sure he will be happy to supply you with a few samples. I got a few caps from him and so far they are excellent!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hixie
    It will work, but don't plan on overclocking.
    If you need caps, send Big Pope a PM. I'm sure he will be happy to supply you with a few samples. I got a few caps from him and so far they are excellent!
    So you're saying big pope has exact Sanyo caps??. Put the chemicons in already, Mosfet temp is the same, will check ripple under max load tonight. If there's a problem, I'll change all of them over, they are better caps than the Sanyos.
    955 @ 5362 MHz on DD RBX @ 1.58v
    P5WD2-E Vcore mod, Vdim mod.
    8000ul @ 4,3,3,8 1170MHz @ 2.7v
    ATI 1900xtx, modded DDx18 / Modded EXOS II w/ Alphacool 1510
    Zippy 6850P

Where's me Beer?
    Big Pope sells Samxon caps, which i thought would no way be any good, but he offered me some samples and i was very suprised with how well they performed.

I placed the caps in my P4C800E-Deluxe, with a 3.0E running at 4Ghz. My overclock increased by 300Mhz just by replacing a few caps. The machine is still running 24/7 and is my dedicated Dimes, MJ-12 and SOB rig.