Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SeventeenorBust (aka SOB) Thread

Quote Originally Posted by melymel2789
    another vote for sticky!!

P.S. riptide can you put the team password in the first post aswell? or if you have and i've overlooked it make it clearer

eeehh... password. What password? I never needed a password? oops!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide
    eeehh... password. What password? I never needed a password? oops!
    I don't understand the password, it seems about 50/50 wether you need it or not. I couldn't join team just by filling in the team name in the client, I had to join XtremeSsytesm from my account on the SOB site where it asks for the password and I've heard a few people need it to join too.

Anyway the password is xs.

Last edited by [XC]melymel; 07-31-2006 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by melymel2789
    I don't understand the password, it seems about 50/50 wether you need it or not. I couldn't join team just by filling in the team name in the client, I had to join XtremeSsytesm from my account on the SOB site where it asks for the password and I've heard a few people need it to join too.

Anyway the password is XS.

But..... is it not automatically emailed to you regardless after you login as anon on the client... then you get email with password...then you go to prefs on webpage and confirm your team affiliation there. Damn its been a while since I first set it up.

http://www.seventeenorbust.com/signup/

Xtreme Cruncher
    Ok well I just tried different methods (setup 2 new clients and users) and found that as long as you download the client and setup your username and team through that you get auto joined to XtremeSystems. However if you sign up for an account before downloading the software and filling in the team details you need the password to join the team as you need to join through the SOB site.
    Last edited by [XC]melymel; 07-31-2006 at 03:20 PM.

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    Umm pw is lowercase xs.. not upper.

Quote Originally Posted by Haltech
    Umm pw is lowercase xs.. not upper.
    You've joined I see. Gratz! I suppose your points earned as Anon will not carry over to the team?

Xtreme Member
    I'm going to download this now and have a play with it.
    I was running 3 pretty good P4's on Rosetta but got fed up with trying my balls off and creating enough heat for an extra summer just to compete with basic AMD's so I've not crunched for a few months.
    I'm going to go back to Rosetta when I've sorted my Conroe setup but this looks like a good outlet for my P4's
    Any advice from the SOB pro's?
    SOB Crunchers.
    E6300 & DS3 @ 487 X 7 3409 mhz 1.4125V Ninja
    805D & P5WD2 Premium @ 194 X 20 3885 mhz 1.40V WC
    P4 3.2 & P4C800E Dlx @ 239 X 16 3824 mhz 1.40V XP120

Xtreme Member
    Where can I find the Zip file refered to in this post please?

Quote Originally Posted by em99010pepe
    Guys,

Sorry for the delay.

An intel P4 3.0GHz is 30-40% faster (or even more) than an AMD 3000+.

To run several instances (testing different numbers) install SOB as a service. From the readme.txt:

Hope this helps,

Carlos

PS(Attachment: AMD 64 3000+ running at 2GHz)
    SOB Crunchers.

Xtreme Member
    Where can I find the Zip file refered to in this post please?

Quote Originally Posted by em99010pepe
    Guys,

Sorry for the delay.

An intel P4 3.0GHz is 30-40% faster (or even more) than an AMD 3000+.

To run several instances (testing different numbers) install SOB as a service. From the readme.txt:

Installing Seventeen Or Bust (multiple clients) as a NT/2K/XP service:

0. This ONLY works on Windows NT/2K/XP and with SB version 1.1.0 (or above)
    1. You should run sb120.exe FIRST (to install sb.exe, sign up for an account, etc.)
    and configure the logging, connection, priority, etc. options however you wish.
    2. Do NOT check the "Auto-start on Windows Boot" box.
    3. Exit the Seventeen or Bust client
    4. Unpack the contents of this zip file into the "Program Files\sb" directory
    (or wherever you installed the SB client initially)
    5. Did I mention that this ONLY works on NT/2K/XP (not on 9x/Me)?
    6. In the "Program Files\sb" directory, run "sobsvc -i" to install the service.
    7. Use the Services control panel to start the newly-installed service, which is
    called "Seventeen or Bust service" (or re-boot if you prefer)

To change the number of clients which are run:

1. run "sobsvc -p:<num>" where <num> is the number of clients you wish to run
    2. Restart the service

Hope this helps,

Carlos

PS(Attachment: AMD 64 3000+ running at 2GHz)
    SOB Crunchers.

Quote Originally Posted by PFOUR
    I'm going to download this now and have a play with it.
    I was running 3 pretty good P4's on Rosetta but got fed up with trying my balls off and creating enough heat for an extra summer just to compete with basic AMD's so I've not crunched for a few months.
    I'm going to go back to Rosetta when I've sorted my Conroe setup but this looks like a good outlet for my P4's
    Any advice from the SOB pro's?
    Yep. When it comes to SOB, and P4's, clockspeed is all important. Even dropping a divider on the ram does little to diminish the powa. It is worth noting though that Conroe, because of its overclockability is better than P4's. It was believed around these parts that Core was not GREAT at it. But it turns out a Conroe @ 2.4 (E6400 stock?),one instance on one core, may be broadly equivalent to a Northwood or whatever at 3.7. I think empeppe refers to the files that are created from the install itself (ie self extracting installer). you'll find the reults of that extraction in C:\program file\sb . Try to run SOB as a service. Makes life handy if your rig has to reboot or a temp power failure.

Xtreme Member
    Running 2 instances with no probs now on my dual core P D 805 @ 3.80 ghz
    Both instances just over 4m cEMS/sec
    Will restart my P4 670 now as it will run 4.8ghz.
    SOB Crunchers.

Quote Originally Posted by PFOUR
    Running 2 instances with no probs now on my dual core P D 805 @ 3.80 ghz
    Both instances just over 4m cEMS/sec
    Will restart my P4 670 now as it will run 4.8ghz.
    Excellent!! Well the outlook is like this according to the stats, in about a week we take down 'Ukraine' team, and then there are a quick succesion of teams that should place us near the #60 mark.!

Xtreme Member
    Hey XS + riptide, I just joined in today with a P4 3.5GHz and C2D 3.0GHz with 1 instance running on each currently.

Working on the service installations for each system running as well. The P4 Northwood 2.8C has always run R@H in HT but now it will run R@H and 2 SOB.

Nice...! The P4 doesn't really need the service installation.. if you don't want it. The C2D does however.

Anyway, each to their own preferences.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    Nice...! The P4 doesn't really need the service installation.. if you don't want it. The C2D does however.

Anyway, each to their own preferences.
    No? Saying I could just run two instances at once from the Windows Startup Folder? But it does certainly benefit from HT, right, and how about the DDR-SDRAM latency on my P4 2-2-2-5 isn't stable anymore in this heat and default CAS-TRAS is 3-3-3-8???
    Last edited by pH(x); 09-04-2007 at 09:11 AM.

Xtreme Member
    What about priority settings on P4 vs C2D?

The benefits on the P4 are there alright, but I thought you were running Rosetta with it on the P4?

You will see a drop with the looser timings... but hey... such is life

Priority? Come at me again with that one.

Xtreme Member
    I am running both Rosetta and Seventeen primarily

I experience fluxes in cEMs per sec from 3.8 million to 4.4 million on P4 Northwood 3.5GHz and fluctuates from 5.8 million to 6.3 million on C2D Conroe 3.0GHz.

What I meant by priority was in Config menu, 3rd category, there is Normal Low and Idle I was inquiring on which options would be best for C2D and which for a P4 each usually running other DC projects like R@H and QMC@H(though not often)
    Last edited by pH(x); 09-19-2007 at 03:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pH(x) View Post
    I am running both Rosetta and Seventeen primarily

I experience fluxes in cEMs per sec from 3.1 million to 4.3 million on P4 Northwood 3.5GHz and fluxes from 5.8 million to 6.3 million on C2D Conroe 3.0GHz.

What I meant by priority was in Config menu, 3rd category, there is Normal Low and Idle I was inquiring on which options would be best for C2D and which for a P4 each usually running other DC projects like R@H and QMC@H(though not often)
    Ok. Normal Priority. This will let it take ove one core completely, or one HT completely. If this is the case, and you have Rosetta on the other HT 'core' then you only need one instance of SOB. I can tell you now that you will see a ~35% (Not a 50% ) drop in SOB produciton if you give half your processor cores (whetehr HT or real) to Boinc. This is due to Seventeen's massive reliance on memory bandwith. I see I had myself posted some information pertaining to dividers above, over a year ago. Prolly was a little misleading. SOB is a memory bandwith beast. It can't get enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12