Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the Best Seventeen or Bust CPU?

Xtreme Cruncher

Question What's the Best Seventeen or Bust CPU?

I posted in the thread in the rosetta section but it got no interest so im making a thread here .

We have now established that Intel netburst cpu's do the best in SOB out powering A64's and conroe however is there a particular netburst cpu that's best?

Is SOB cache dependent, i.e. could a celery match an EE?

If anyone can give results with varying processors of how they perform in SOB it would be much appreciated

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    P4 with HT... Grab a 805D and that should tear it up. I did here the presler was the best for the job though.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Haltech
    P4 with HT... Grab a 805D and that should tear it up. I did here the presler was the best for the job though.
    Cheers i'll have to keep my eyes open for some old ht presshotts they should go cheap soon

Also i have just started running SOB on my 805

In preperation for my build which one would be better a 4.5-5ghz celery or a 3.5ghz p4 with ht? TIA
    Last edited by [XC]melymel; 07-13-2006 at 02:05 PM.

Well I'll repeat what I said in the other thread mely ... (and to liven this place a bit) My 3.4 northy on stock speeds (yes on stock runing temp tests and acoustic tests on new case ) tears it up... and thats single core/instance. When I get my dual 120fans for the tec we'll see some more >4 action. The rates for this test only stabilise after several hours though... so anyone posting screen shots with only a few minutes run time don't really tell you the final rate/bench for this DC Project. I'll let you know tomorrow what it levels at. And I'd like to see some results from other chips aswell here.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Cheers for the input Riptide, this is my 805 @ 3.6ghz @ 1.24v , I don't know if this is right or any good but it's been runing for the last 2 hours and it levels out around this figure.

Well this is mine... stock default everything.... she's still rising after 1 hour. Sorry for quality.... oh shhhh.. turn off ' transmit intermediate blocks '. Turn it on every so often only to return dumps. I have found that while its connecting to the servers it stops crunhing for that second or 2 which will effect overall perf. ssssshhhh
    Attached Images Attached Images

Xtreme Cruncher
    riptide:- Is HT playing any part in that score as my 805 has the higher clock but still can't match that, or is it the low fsb on my cpu that's having the affect?

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    I think I'll be picking up a P4 506 for ~$40 to start out my build for Conroe. If I do get this processor and a DFI Infinity then I'll post my results, should result in a 5+ GHz P4.

Quote Originally Posted by melymel2789
    riptide:- Is HT playing any part in that score as my 805 has the higher clock but still can't match that, or is it the low fsb on my cpu that's having the affect?
    Well, my HT is enabled but only once instance. Remind me what cache that 805 has? Heres a shot from today. She pretty much bottoms out on this on stock. Gonna push her towards 3.8 and see what happens later....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Xtreme Cruncher
    805's have 1mb per core so 2x1mb. Mine managed to top 39XXXXX.X today with some tweaking .

I fired this onto one of the laptops floating around my house (pc graveyard). Its settled on half a mil 5XX,XXX. Its a Celeron Tualatin 256kb cache 1066MHz. In a Dell Laptop.

EDIT: Fired it also onto another laptop... Mobile P2 400Mhz with 128kb cache settles at 175k or a little more.!
    Last edited by [XC] riptide; 07-14-2006 at 02:27 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    around 413xxxxxxxx on my Celeron @ 4.25 Ghz

Presler is prolly the way to do it. Do any of them have hyperthreading? 4 instances...
    Intel Rig
    2500K @ 4.8 Ghz 1.304v | ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3| 2x4Gb Ripjaws DDR3-2133 | Radeon 7970 @ 1250/1800 | Corsair HX850 PSU
    Custom Water of course

Where's me Beer?
    I just joined the team, with a 4Ghz 24/7 pressy.
    Hope that would help the team.

Quote Originally Posted by hixie
    I just joined the team, with a 4Ghz 24/7 pressy.
    Hope that would help the team.
    Ya I noticed. Well done. Thanks. I dug up (almost literally) an Athlon 600 and put it into an unused case. just started, but I reckon she'll give the P3 1066 a run for her money.

Treied this on a 478 socket 3gig (15 multi) prescott E0 revision at stock. 1mb cache.

Sttle down at 26305XXX Ram at 3-3-3-8. single channel 1 stick of 512! Disclaimer: this is NOT my machine! Just trying out the client for the bench.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Is the conclusion that a Preshott gives the most points/mhz & points/hour?
    DeXter::2xXeon2.4@3200, GF6800, PC-DL, 1gb Centon, IWT+panaflo air, Win7
    Quad::Q6600(g0)@3400(1.30V), GTX275, 965P-DS3, 4gb HyperX, Asus SilentSquare (air), Win7_64U
    NuQuad::Q9400@3300(1.24V), 8800GT, G31M-ES2L, 2gb Patriot, stock air (bigger Q6600 one), WinXP64
    Crunch::E4300@2400, onboard, GF7100PVT-M3, 2gb Patriot CL5, stock air, Vista64U

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin
    Is the conclusion that a Preshott gives the most points/mhz & points/hour?
    Actually not at all! From the information that has been supplied to this thread, it seems northwood has something going for it. But I'm finding it very hard to get more information on types of CPU. I've even posted over at fREE-DC, but not sure of an answer yet. Certainly its agreed that at the moment, Netbursts are king of the hill in SOB, but I mean the first client version of this actually favoured AMDs back in the day... In the meantime I'm trying to get my hands on a Gallatin to see what it'll do!

EDIT: Goes without saying that dualcore (hence there was never a dual northwood) prescotts, would actually pull in the win. However paladin, the machines in your sig, would do serious damage on this project aswell.

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    Im going to try my celeron on this

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Anyone try dothan on this??
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks, that's what i've been waiting for I have a feeling SOB isn't cache dependant and the price of netburst celerons could make a powerfull cheap SOB farm. Please keep us updated with how it does Haltech!

Bring it PAL. We need a few more big hitters, and we'd own this, PERIOD! Since no-one, on any forum wanted to tell poor old riptide about procs, I went and bought a Gallitin, and a DX to do my own intensive research!. Gallatin plus TEC here we come!

Quote Originally Posted by Absolute_0
    around 413xxxxxxxx on my Celeron @ 4.25 Ghz

Presler is prolly the way to do it. Do any of them have hyperthreading? 4 instances...
    I have a northwood at 3.5 . Yes only 3.5 that beats that!! I N E E D M O R E R E S U L T S.

EDIT: Absolute, HT don't really help on this! The guys at ars say that if >512 ram maybe help a little. But my investigations say that HT don't help at all, if anything reduce!! I know the banch in this thing is only accurate as time goes to infinity... but still.. thats my take! Somebody prove me otherwise after a 24hr rate take!
    Last edited by [XC] riptide; 07-29-2006 at 06:30 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide
    I went and bought a Gallitin, and a DX to do my own intensive research!. Gallatin plus TEC here we come!
    How much did you spend on the gallitin? if you don't mind me asking I was looking on fleebay and they were going for £300 still

P.S. I am now testing my dad's laptop 2.4ghz celery on SOB to see how it does. Was an optimal run time worked out to get an accurate result of how it does?
    Last edited by [XC]melymel; 07-30-2006 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by melymel2789
    How much did you spend on the gallitin? if you don't mind me asking I was looking on fleebay and they were going for £300 still

P.S. I am now testing my dad's laptop 2.4ghz celery on SOB to see how it does. Was an optimal run time worked out to get an accurate result of how it does?
    Approx €320. (Euro) Ya they are crazy prices still!!! Probably kept up by their rarity. Although they are going for $1000 on some websites in USA. Thats the ones that you get redirected from Intel Website.! Crazy money!

Newsflash!!

Prime95 has given me some answers to the topic of this thread. And I am well advised to heed his words. http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthr...d=1#post104514

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast