Thread: DFI Expert OR ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe?

Xtreme Member

DFI Expert OR ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe?

I'm looking for a new 939 board. But i've read a bunch of review for both and now i can't decide on which because both are really stable boards. So, it just come down to either Brand?

Please provide reasoning too

I would go with the dfi. It's cheaper and has better spacing of the pci/pci-e slots. Also, the asus board has that northbridge heatpipe that goes all the way across the board and may limit the choice of compatible cpu heatsinks. The dfi also has two more usb slots than the asus.
    Last edited by Celcius; 07-08-2006 at 08:47 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    DFI made the best 939 boards out there, period. They have the most in-depth overclocking BIOS options and are stable as hell.
    Heatware: 50-0-0
    Quote Originally Posted by Charile
    I believe that GWB, who may NOT be the best overclocking CPU in the tray...
    Quote Originally Posted by -thc-(cZ) View Post
    oh c'mon, maxxx, kick that cat of that monitor and have it poop for you

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Both boards will serve you well. Imo if you want an easy life with good overclocking options then the Asus will serve you better as it is much easier to setup than a dfi board.

However if you want every concievable overclocking option, want to get the very best out of your cpu and don't mind putting in the time to set things up correctly then I would suggest the expert is for you.

A few notes :

The heat pipe on the a8n32 WILL NOT affect HS choice but will affect case choice - lian li's have a topsy turvey setup which affect the heatpipes use.

If you want more than 1.55vcore then you better choose the expert, I couldn't get my old a8n32 to give more than 1.55 whereas my dfi ultra will provide enough vcore to power a third world country

The DFI is more picky with ram than the asus- G.skill or OCZ ftw!

The Asus is a true 2x16 pci-e board the dfi (iirc) is not although the benefits of this are negligble at best.

The expert is a better board for SLI due to wider spaced slots.

The Asus is a quieter board (no chipset fan).

The expert is UV reactive but persoanlly I think the asus looks 'classier'.

Hope this helps.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ic3man
    The expert is a better board for SLI due to wider spaced slots.
    Both boards have 60mm between PCI-E slots. This was the Asus standard and was adopted for the first time by DFI in the Expert. The Asus slots are further "down" the board than the Expert, so the Asus 2nd PCI-E slot is quite close to the case floor in comparison.

Xtreme Member
    i have the 32 board and really like it have not expieranced the probs that a lot of peeps have had , but if i had it to do over again i probably would have gone with the dfi because the bios has more options afording you more control of the board
    D-TEK fuZion/ 8800 GTS block/ PA 120.3/ PA 160/LATE YOONS D12 SM/2x D-5
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer
    My recommendation is high end air over crappy water. Crappy water will just leave you unsatisfied and angry, kind of like a cheap hooker.
    Do not walk behind me,
    . for I may not lead.
    Do not walk ahead of me,
    . for I may not follow.
    Do not walk beside me either.
    . Just pretty much leave me the hell alone!

Xtreme Addict
    I went with the DFI myself recently. But I didn't read up on how hard it is to setup with TCCD ram so I'm running 2T right now until I get something else. Also It ran my 170 CCBBE with tccd just fine but nothing special just 2.8ghz @ 1.4vcore but wouldn't run a 165 CCBBE at any of the previous overclocks acheived on the SLI-D stable without 2T. So memory issues could just be how the memory controller of the cpu reacts with the board.
    In my case the first pci-ex slot took the first opening on the case so I had to route my water tubes between the graphics cards. Also depending on your case you may have trouble removiing or installing ram modules due to their proximity to the psu. There close to the graphics card too. Its a great board if your a tweaker and overclocker, but if you just want to fire up the system do a quick overclock or already know what you cpu is capable of, the asus my be easier to set up. I wanted a new board, not new board and ram etc. So I may go with myslef.
    Praetor
    » Intel i7 2600K 3103B306 » Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z » Asus GTX 470's TRi-SLI » Corsair Dominator GT CMT4GX3M2A2000C8 » Corsair Force F180 SSD » Corsair AX1200 PSU » Corsair 800D
    » Cooling : Swiftec Apogee XT » Swiftec MCP350-DDC1 w/XSPC Dual DDC Bay Reservoir » Swiftech MCR320-QP w/Scythe SlipStreams 110CFM

The Yamato
    » Intel i7 920 3849B028 or i7 980X » Asus Rampage III Extreme Black Edition » Asus HD6970's QuadFireX or Asus GTX 570's 4way SLI » 6GB Corsair Dominator GT TR3X6G1866C7GTF » Corsair Force F180 SSD » Corsair AX1200 PSU » Microcool Banchetto 101
    » Cooling : Dragon F1 Extreme Edition(LN2) » Custom SS by RunMc »

I went through the same 2 choices when I bought my MB (and my son's as a Birthday present).

I decided on DFI primarily because I wanted all of the solid OC flexibility. It's there and it works well -- assuming you're willing to put in the time (as an earlier poster mentioned). However, DFI Street is a great resource including paid tech support people who know their stuff. If you go this route, visit DFI-Street and check the lists of compatible HW (PSUs and memory) and the build and OC guides.

Another consideration for me was that 2 of my last 4 ASUS MBs had problems with multiple sticks of memory (worked fine with 1). This was disapointing because I'd been pretty happy with Asus up to then. But, I didn't want to go through that again.
    DFI Lanparty UT DFI Lanparty UT X48-T3RS, Rev AA1, BIOS: 10/15/08
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @4005MHz (work in progress), Sunbeamtech Core-Contact-Freezer (Air!)
    4G OCZ Reaper HPC DDR3 1800 @400/1333 (work in progress)
    eVGA 7900 GT KO RoHS, Zalman VP900CU Cooling
    SilverStone Decathlon DA1000
    Areca RAID ARC-1220 Raid 5 -- 1.2 TB
    (+2 DVD Drives, a few odd SATA drives, and a Hauppauge TV Card)

Xtreme Addict
    had a asus a8n sli premium it was on and easy but i got the dfi expert because it is Xtreme
    ________
    VAPIR NO2 VAPORIZER
    Last edited by billdavis; 03-08-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Expert + TCCD = BIG nono
    Venus + TCCD = SEXY
    Expert = Lame version
    Venus = Sexy version

Venus > Expert > A8N32 SLI DLX

Where's me Beer?
    You can use the Expert with TCCD, but you will have a hard time setting it up. I spent something like a 2 almost non-stop tweaking the setting just so that i don't get errors in memtest's test number 5 at DDR600.
    Use slots 2 & 4, and get the setting correct, then move it over to slots 1 & 3 and see if they still produce errors.

The Venus board was designed to use TCCD RAM, but very few were made and cost quite a bit too. Something like 2200 Hong Kong dollars.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hixie
    You can use the Expert with TCCD, but you will have a hard time setting it up. I spent something like a 2 almost non-stop tweaking the setting just so that i don't get errors in memtest's test number 5 at DDR600.
    Use slots 2 & 4, and get the setting correct, then move it over to slots 1 & 3 and see if they still produce errors.

The Venus board was designed to use TCCD RAM, but very few were made and cost quite a bit too. Something like 2200 Hong Kong dollars.
    I'm buying a new "leftover" retail venus for $250 us!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    DFI gets my vote...tweak until ur heart's content
    ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev3; Intel 2600K; GSkill Ripjaws 1600 (2x4GB); XFX 5870; WD Black 500G x2 Raid0; Silverstone Striker 750W; SwiftechApogee-XT-TC PA120.3-Swiftech MP655; Lian Li G70B; Win7-64

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The clueless don't even know they are.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Einstein

HEAT

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderstruck!
    DFI made the best 939 boards out there, period. They have the most in-depth overclocking BIOS options and are stable as hell.
    QFT, You will be very very happy with an Expert.
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4GHz || Gigabyte Z68 UD3 || Vengeance 8GB 8-8-8-24 1T || CM Stacker 810
    ATI 4850 || Samsung Spinpoint F3 x 2 || SilverStone ST60F
    Asus DVD RW +- || Logitech G15 || MS Intel-eye 1.1|| CMV 19" Wide-Screen || Scythe Ninja

I am Xtreme
    if you plan on overclocking dont even go near the asus.

if you plan on overclocking and doing everything else get the DFI
    but there is no reason in the world to spend the extra money on the expert board. just get the SLI-DR
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Member
    I think DFI would be better and also a little bit cheaper.

ASUS is not a bad board though...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Expert temp sensor with Opty is wacked. Other than that I love my board, when I first got it it was overwelming due to all the settings but with time and lots of reading and tweaking you will be happy.

Good luck
    Asus RIVE Bios 2003
    3930k 4.5 ghz @1.29v
    G-SKILLS 32gig ddr-1600 ripjaws Z
    Enermax Evo Galaxy 1250W
    2x EVGA GTX 480 Superclocked SLI @ 900/1800/2000
    X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium PCI-E
    4 x crucial Realssd C300 256 Raid 0
    Areca 1880i
    Seagate 1TB
    CM HAF 932
    On water:
    HK 3.0
    2x MCP655
    FESER X360
    Blackice GTX 480
    DD-GTX 480 VGA blocks
    DD Reservoir
    Windows 7 64bit

Dell 3008WFP 30"

Help Save Lives Join World Community Grid!

Quote Originally Posted by hlonipha
    Expert temp sensor with Opty is wacked. Other than that I love my board, when I first got it it was overwelming due to all the settings but with time and lots of reading and tweaking you will be happy.

Good luck
    Later rev boards seem to be much better at getting the correct temperature. My AA0 was off by at least 10C, but my AC1 seems to only be 2 or 3C low.
    DFI Lanparty UT DFI Lanparty UT X48-T3RS, Rev AA1, BIOS: 10/15/08
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @4005MHz (work in progress), Sunbeamtech Core-Contact-Freezer (Air!)
    4G OCZ Reaper HPC DDR3 1800 @400/1333 (work in progress)
    eVGA 7900 GT KO RoHS, Zalman VP900CU Cooling
    SilverStone Decathlon DA1000
    Areca RAID ARC-1220 Raid 5 -- 1.2 TB
    (+2 DVD Drives, a few odd SATA drives, and a Hauppauge TV Card)