Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Overclocking Comp mk2 is go!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast

Overclocking Comp mk2 is go!!!

This is the "master" thread for the second round of the OC comp. All results etc will be posted here to keep things central and in 1 place.
    Other threads will be posted elsewhere, but this is the place to look for up to date info, results and comments.

This is a GLOBAL competition, anyone, anywhere can enter!!!!

So, here's the format!
    Due to difficulties in sorting cheap PCI-E cards this time around a totally new format has been devised. This competition allows users to enter with their own 24/7 day to day PC's. The only stipulation is that the cards you enter can run 3dmark 2001, 2003 and Aquamark 3.

So how does it work! Well its simple. As last time theres a "stock" round and an "overclocked round" this of course refers to graphics cards!
    In the "stock" round, the CPU and system is clocked to the max and the graphics card/s left at stock. In the "overclocked" round, the graphics card/s are overclocked along with the system.
    Screenshots are to be provided for each of the benchmarks, along with a superpi 1m run and CPU-z screenshot showing both CPU and memory tabs. ORB compares should be provided for 3dmark 2003 (01 no longer appears to be accepting new scores)

Now, many will ask how exactly is this fair? The guys with the quick systems will win... Well, not exactly! There's a twist. This time we're introducing some control into the benching. It's no longer a case of "who can get the highest score" and more a case of "who can get a certain score"....Scoring is standardised. The below covers 3D01, AM3 and 3D03. Should be a little easier for people to pick up some points, and theres still a nice reward for those that make it all the way!

So, here's the scoring:
    25% over stock score = 10 points
    20% over stock score = 7 points
    15% over stock score = 5 points
    10% over stock score = 2 points.

As before, round UP to the nearest whole number (this shouldnt ever occur however..) You have a 100 point +- leway at EACH %.
    ie 10k stock, 12400 -> 12600 = 10 points/25%.
    Once you've submitted your "exact score" runs, there's a final "drag" score. This is the max score you can make over your "stock" settings. i.e the MAXIMUM overclock you can get from your graphics card.
    Scoring on this will be based on percentage score increase from the "stock" score. Points are awarded per benchmark per category on a 10-1 basis. Top % overclock gets 10 points, 9th highest gets 1

A total of 3 scores are submitted per person per benchmark. 1 Stock GFX overclocked system. One "percentage overclock" score and the final "drag" score which is an all out max

Categories are: Air/water (above ambient cooling ONLY. No iced water/pelts and no sub-zero air cooling)
    "other" Everything else!

The winner is the person in each of the categories with the highest overall score at the end of the competiton.

Other info
    Any CPU/platform can enter AS LONG AS ALL HARDWARE USED IN THAT MACHINE IS PUBLICALLY AVAILABLE FOR THE FULL DURATION OF THE COMPETITION
    SLI/Crossfire is allowed.
    Softmodded/moddable cards MUST be modded for stock runs
    Vmods are allowed (PM Persivore over at XS if you want any mods doing)
    NO results will be accepted after the closing date (see below)
    ALL entries MUST be recieved by the competition start date.
    When entering you MUST state the hardware you will be using and the category you are entering
    NO hardware changes can be made UNLESS they are replaced with the SAME component.
    Driver DEFAULTS to be used for stock runs. Any tweaks go for overclocked (as long as they DON'T affect your system speed/pi score)
    Competiton organisers say is final.

Prizes are TBC, however at the moment we have the following sponsors:
    coolercases.co.uk
    hosting4peanuts.co.uk
    mushkin.com

Big thanks to all the above for offering to sponsor the comp. Cheers guys!

Dates:
    Start date: 1st August 2006 00:00:00
    End date: 31 August 2006 23:59:59

Any entrants please post the following information:
    Category
    CPU:
    GPU:
    Motherboard:
    Ram:
    Cooling to be used:

A record of all entrants will be kept in the following thread to make comparisons easier : Clicky!
    Last edited by Highland3r; 08-01-2006 at 03:07 AM.
    .:. X2 @ 2.9 .:. E6600 L628 @ 4.73 .:. AB9 @ 512 FSB .:. E6300 @ 100% OC Stable

U.K. overclockers: Represent your country, bench for EP-UK! Unite and show the world there IS a U.K. scene!

Xtreme Addict
    DIBS! I'm in

Git-R-Done
    Hmm, if I use a old rig...can I run the "stock" at stock, not overclocked cpu? It's a Prescott on air cooling, and I don't trust it really....Then I can just aim for a 25% point increase by tweaking everything?

Egyptian OverClocker
    should i list the system's spec that i will use in this compt. here in this thread or wait till first fo August ?
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

I am Xtreme
    i'll throw in, just to see how bad I do ;-P
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

I am Xtreme
    I'm game Won't register until the last day though. Changing hardware like mad this month.
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by afireinside
    I'm game Won't register until the last day though. Changing hardware like mad this month.
    same here i think i may be changing ram and possibly cpu
    DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D [6/23 BIOS]
    AMD Opteron 148 [CAB2E 0546GPMW] [257x11.0 @ v1.500] & Zalman CNPS7000B-CU
    OCZ EL Platinum Rev. 2 2x512[207FSB @ 2-3-3-6 @ v2.80 1T]
    DFI Ultra-D [6/23 BIOS]
    eVGA 7800GT [470 / 1100]
    Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB Serial ATA
    Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shpoon
    Hmm, if I use a old rig...can I run the "stock" at stock, not overclocked cpu? It's a Prescott on air cooling, and I don't trust it really....Then I can just aim for a 25% point increase by tweaking everything?
    As long as the CPU/System is the same ie you get the same Pi time in both stock and overclocked then thats ok....

Need the specs noted in the first post BEFORE the start date of the competiton

U.K. overclockers: Represent your country, bench for EP-UK! Unite and show the world there IS a U.K. scene!

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm in, cmon conroe + 7800GT
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3GHz . DFI DK P45-T2RS Plus . XFX 9800GT 512MB . 8GB OCZ Blade PC2-9200 . WD6400AAKS AHCI .
    Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic . Hanns.G 28" LCD . Thermalright U120-E . Seasonic S12 600w . Windows 7 Professional E Retail x64 .

Xtreme Member
    I'm in, should be fun. System TBC as I might be getting a different mobo/CPU/RAM combo soon.
    i7-960@4.2GHz/Rampage III Gene/3GB KHX14400/HD5670

My own little world
    I think I'll have a Bash at this... God knows if the system will take a 1% OC though, let alone 20%+... Will be fun finding out though

Will post specs later, need to decide which rig I'll run in this.
    Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Xtreme Member
    Ah ah!
    i'll use my super computer with my super graphic card!

sempron 2800+ and my fx5200 64bits
    GAME-AMD x6 1055T|ASUS M4A870TD|8GB DDR3|HD5858|SSD RAID0|Seasonic!700w
    VMWARE-E6420|Asus P5Q-VM|4GB|320GB|BEQUIET!600w|
    NAS-Via 1.5 GHz ITX|Dual Gigabit|1gb ddr|2*3TB WD
    MbP 13"|C2D 2.53GHz|4gb DDR3

Barton 2600+@2800mhz SuperPI 37s Sempron 2800+@2665mhz SuperPI 35,5s OLD SCHOOl
    -Apple Iphone 3g |X10 mini Pro 2.2.1|Nintendo WII|PS3 Slim

Xtreme Addict
    im, but ill register at the latest date i can
    Q6700
    MSI P35
    8GB OCZ
    2xHD 2900 XT
    PCP&C 1kw

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Cheers for the support guys, those people wanting to register now can you provide the details as noted in the first post please?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland3r
    Cheers for the support guys, those people wanting to register now can you provide the details as noted in the first post please?

<<<<<< points to SIG That count as registration
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Xtreme Addict
    Sounds like fun however I'm not to sure that a 25% score increase in 3Dmark01 soley based on gfx clocks is achievable. Please correct me if im wrong.

The CPU is at the same clock for the entire duration correct?

thanks!

Xtreme Cruncher
    you can oc the cpu at stock result but thaat limits you in the oc contest because you have to achieve 25% boost only with gfx power
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

sleepin is overrated
    i gonna put my shuttle into this comp should be fun

Xtreme Member
    Hell I'm in just for the fun of it.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Depending on if I get a Conroe and new gfx cards, I might be down. 25% increase with just GFX power will most likely limit you to crossfire/SLI as being competitive. Conroe + phase here I come!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Newcastle Under Lyme - Staffordshire - UK
    A rusted old axe can be sharpened much more than a shining new knife

Count me in!

Nice competition by the way

Tom
    "What will become of us, will we evolve"

Xtreme Member
    Count me in!

Category: Air
    CPU: XP2500-M
    GPU: Radeon 9550
    Motherboard: DFI ultra infinity NFII
    Ram: Crucial Ballistix 1024Mb
    Cooling to be used: HSF

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Right... based on the fact that 25% is going to be a hard feat for a fair few people have revised the scoring a little.
    Scoring is standardised. The below covers 3D01, AM3 and 3D03. Should be a little easier for people to pick up some points, and theres still a nice reward for those that make it all the way!

So, here's the scoring:
    25% over stock score = 10 points
    20% over stock score = 7 points
    15% over stock score = 5 points
    10% over stock score = 2 points.

As before, round UP to the nearest whole number (this shouldnt ever occur however..) Scores must be exact. 1 point above or below = no points.

Xtreme Member
    Do you mean that if u get 19 or 26 or something like that u get nil points?

Git-R-Done
    Underclocking CPU? This old GFX card can't pull that much weight :p

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast