Thread: Theory behind PSUs

Wanna look under my kilt?

Theory behind PSUs

Hey. In theory I could take a 240V line from the mains (U.K.) tranform it to 12V, rectify it, filter it, and apply it as a TEC PSU, or maybe for PCI-E GPU(s)

I see that PSUs use switching transistors as a 1st stage to up the mains frequency before the transformer to make it easier on the transformer. How important is this? Do I NEED to have a transistor stage? If I skip that, build a 12V "PSU" for an SLI/CF setup...will it all go bang?

(assuming I build it right)

Will it hurt my system if I switch this home-made effort and my "real" PSU on with a delay between them?

K
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Quote Originally Posted by K404
    Hey. In theory I could take a 240V line from the mains (U.K.) tranform it to 12V, rectify it, filter it, and apply it as a TEC PSU, or maybe for PCI-E GPU(s)

I see that PSUs use switching transistors as a 1st stage to up the mains frequency before the transformer to make it easier on the transformer. How important is this? Do I NEED to have a transistor stage? If I skip that, build a 12V "PSU" for an SLI/CF setup...will it all go bang?

(assuming I build it right)

Will it hurt my system if I switch this home-made effort and my "real" PSU on with a delay between them?

K
    http://www.icecoldcomputing.com/
    Look under the articles section .

And I would only use it as a TEC power supply since A GPU is more expesive and also needs a more stable voltage then a TEC.