Thread: DX10 cant run DX9 games?

Xtreme Member

DX10 cant run DX9 games?

a friend told me that microsoft said that DX10 VGAs will not be able to run DX9 games.

I was sure that its the other way around, that DX9 cards will not be able to run DX10 games.

is that true?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Blaze-
    a friend told me that microsoft said that DX10 VGAs will not be able to run DX9 games.
    I know that part is wrong, Halo 2 is going to be DirectX 9 and is Vista only; Vista as we all know is going to suggest a DirectX 10 card.

IF that was true i dont think anyone would buy the cards..because i still love to play old games...even Q2/Q3
    DFI LanPartyUT NF4 Ultra-D w/ evercool VC-RE * bios 6/23/05
    Amd OPteron 165 @ 311x9 - *1.42V w/ si-120
    G.Skill Hz series 2x1024mb @ 254-Fsb 3-4-3-8 -1T- *2.7V
    evga 7800gt @ 499/1.16 w/ zalman Vf900-cu
    Ocz PowerStream 520w
    CoolerMaster cm stacker 810
    3x80gb Hitachi Dekstar's Raid-0
    Audigy 2 Zs
    WinXp Pro

pepsi fiend
    hah imagine that, having to swap between old and new vid cards to play specific games. it would turn the pc into a console of sorts
    Lanparty Ultra-D DEAD|REVIVED
    X2 3800+ LDBHE 0606 EPMW 2950 @ 1.55v DEAD|STILL DEAD
    Powercolor X1900XT 725/873
    dell 2005fpw 20.1''

Quote Originally Posted by afireinside
    "uh yeah is this DFI RMA dpt? yeah I was setting up your ultra-d motherboard last night and the pwm shot a flame at me... can you give me a new one?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Popo
    if you wont eat all of your vegetables einCe will come and get you!

Xtreme Addict
    i heard it can play DX 9 games and at increase performance

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

i dont know, didnt they run oblivion and other DX 9 games on Vista Beta 2 in extremetech??

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1969032,00.asp

but for some reason its actually slower , maybe when vista release Q1 2007, this will change
    E6600 @ 3.6
    IN9 32x MAX
    EVGA 8800Ultra
    750W

Xtreme Addict
    vista can play anything. but vista is also the only os that will have dx10 as MS will not be making an update for xp. this is just another way of them ing with us and forcing us to buy vista
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripken204
    vista can play anything. but vista is also the only os that will have dx10 as MS will not be making an update for xp. this is just another way of them ing with us and forcing us to buy vista
    I doubt they did it to force vista they'd probably get in some kind of trouble if that was the case..I actually can't find the reason :-/ weird someone should find it
    Opteron 170 CCB1E 0550VPMW @ 2.65ghz 1.275 vcore (Big Typhoon) capable of 3ghz
    OCZ Gold DDR400@2-2-2-5
    74GB Raptor
    DFI UT Ultra-D
    Gigabyte 6600gt

Xtreme Addict
    oh that is the reason. its the same reason that halo 2 will only work on vista. MS could easily put dx10 into xp. all i know is that vista is gunna burn a whole in my pocket. i would want to get the 64bit ultimate edition and thats a good $500+. then a dx10 vid card, theres at least $300.
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by -Blaze-

I was sure that its the other way around, that DX9 cards will not be able to run DX10 games.

is that true?
    Thats tottaly absurd.
    Its like saying SM3 cards cant run SM2 games.
    SM4 cards WILL be able to run SM3 games, SM2 games, and older.
    The problem is that SM4's Unified Shader architecture causes a perfomance loss in the traditional SM3 and SM2 shader atchitecture. The performance penalty from running SM3 games with SM4 cards is around 20%.
    Obviously you wont be able to run SM4 standards with SM3 and SM2 cards.

Regarding Halo2 for PC. The game will be forced to run on DirectX 10, which is the only way to really force it to run only on Windows Vista.
    This probably means that a lot of the engine will be remade to run under the DirectX 10 API, since the Xbox version runs under SM2.
    Halo2 is just used as a marketting gimmick to sell Windows Vista to Halo fans.
    The Unreal Engine 3 and Crysis will be able to scale down to SM3 and probably SM2 or older by sacrificing a lot of eye candy.

BTW, if you're considering updating to a SM4 card to run Unreal Engine and Crysis engine games, dont buy the g80.
    The g80 will most likely not support SM4, since the architecture doesnt use a true Unified Shader architecture.
    If you want to play UT2k7 and Crysis with a nice performance, I would recommend the r600.
    Last edited by Turok; 06-25-2006 at 09:17 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I ran Starcraft (1998) just fine on Vista beta 2. Worry not.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by einCe
    hah imagine that, having to swap between old and new vid cards to play specific games. it would turn the pc into a console of sorts
    why swap between the cards .....have both in there in non-SLI....non-XF
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

YouTube Addict
    if it can run in Xp, it should run in Vista
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

3dMark Isn't Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Turok
    BTW, if you're considering updating to a SM4 card to run Unreal Engine and Crysis engine games, dont buy the g80.
    The g80 will most likely not support SM4, since the architecture doesnt use a true Unified Shader architecture.
    If you want to play UT2k7 and Crysis with a nice performance, I would recommend the r600.
    But you don't even know the cards specs, let alone how well they peform, not to mention, those games you mentioned are due out in 2007, and Vista isn't out till next year, so IMO buying a DX10 card, when they first come out is pointless, if it's maninly for DX10 peformance, cause there is nothing there to use it.
    Kentsfield Q6600@ 3100Mhz
    Asus P5B-E Plus
    2GB GSkill DDRII PC6400GBHZ
    Albatron Geforce 8800GTX
    Silverstone Temjin TJ-09
    Thermalright Ultra 120
    Corsair 620W HX
    74GB Raptor/ X-Fi Platinum
    19" CRT NEC 930 SB
    Windows XP Pro SP2

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    But you don't even know the cards specs, let alone how well they peform, not to mention, those games you mentioned are due out in 2007, and Vista isn't out till next year, so IMO buying a DX10 card, when they first come out is pointless, if it's maninly for DX10 peformance, cause there is nothing there to use it.
    QFT... I'll be waiting until the second revision at least (?may '07?)

t

Xtreme Member
    As others have said, I cant see dx10 cards not working with dx9, and even dx10 game should work fine with dx9 cards (just with some features moved), just like half life2 works with dx8 and dx7 (I think dx7) cards, just at much lower quality
    Last edited by jkresh; 06-28-2006 at 03:11 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by taemun
    QFT... I'll be waiting until the second revision at least (?may '07?)

t
    most likely sometime in 2008

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Not making dx10 backwards compatible would be a huge mistake on microsofts parts, and would cost them millions.
    Core2Duo E6600 @ 3.0 - Load @ 32c°| Gigabyte P35 DS3P | 2gb Crucial Ballistix Pc2-8500| eVGA 8800GTX| X-fi Fatal1ty | OCZ GameXStream 600w | Custom Watercooled | Custom-built Case

Dtek Fuzion | DD Maze4 Acetal | Swiftech MCR-320 | DD D5

3dMark01 3dMark05 3dMark06 Aq3 SuperPi

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I don't beleive in passive cooling.

Xtreme Member
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1982044,00.asp
    since Vista Aero glass uses dx9 I dont see how dx10 cards would have an issue with dx9 games (it woudl be silly for the only OS that supports dx10 cards not to be able to run its high end interface with a dx10 card).
    Xigmatek elysium
    i7 920, 4.2 at 1.32v 60C after 24 hours prime 95
    asus p6t6 ws revolution
    4870 1gb
    6gigs ddr3 1600
    x25-160 g2, velociraptor 300gig, 4x 2tb hitachi 7200rpm on an lsi 9260-81
    lg bd/hdvd combo
    apogee xt rev 2.0, swiftech 360, 240 with 4 sanyo denki's
    and 1 scythe (25mm did not have space for another 38mm)
    2 d5's in a koolance 425x2 res

YouTube Addict
    Double post there jkresh, please remove one.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Member
    to OP:

Yes and no.

DX10 cannot be used to run DX9 because it is not backwards comptaible. However... all cards that support DX10 will also support DX9, and that means that you can play your old games withthe new cards witohut any problem. They will just fall back to DX9 mode. The only thing is that you won't be able to take advantage of DX10's performance optimizations when you run a DX9 game. That makes sense, since the whole reason DX10 is more efficient is because they didn't have to clutter iy up with backwards compatability.

-Stigma

Xtreme Enthusiast
    not true. it should run all lower dx games.