Thread: AM2 Overclocking noob problem

AM2 Overclocking noob problem

Hey guys, I'm not too experienced at overclocking as far as athlon 64s go. I just got an AM2 athlon 64 x2 4000+ and have overclocked it from 2 ghz stock to 2.29 ghz with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro.

My temps are relatively low (around 21-22 C idle) and I want to overclock more. However, whenever i set the frequency to 230 (currently at 229), it reverts back to 2 ghz and negates all the overclocking done so far.

Is there something i have to set in order to allow it to increase further? I know for a fact that the 10 mhz or so more difference is not going to bring the CPU up a whole 40 degrees C and put it in danger of being damaged.

My motherboard is a Biostar Tforce 550.

Please help, and thanks for all of your time.

Xtreme Member
    are you turning down your HTT multi and memory? one of those might become unstable enough to keep you from booting at which point the mobo will reset the speed. if you are turning down those things it might just be a speed at which the CPU is going to need more voltage to run in a stable manner and that's adjustable in your bios...just monitor temps, the increase in voltage is where you're going to notice large upticks.

PS - I am fairly new myself and that's about all I know to tell you...sorry if it's like the blind leading the blind
    Last edited by akijikan; 06-22-2006 at 06:35 PM.

For some reason, the mobo doesn't let me even touch the Vcore, no matter what I do. The setting I'm tweaking is the CPU frequency, not the HTT or others.

I just remember looking at another person's posts about the Biostar Tforce 550 and how it got his/her Sempron to 2.8ghz-3.0ghz. Its bios is really nice, but I can't seem to do much overclocking besides the 290 mhz I've initially done.

Xtreme Member
    your cpu frequency (aka FSB) affects your HTT and Memory.

By default, HTT = FSB x 5 and Memory depends on what you're using, but its a multiple of the FSB

So when you turn up your CPU frequency it turns up your HTT and Memory and they may be hitting unstable speeds unless you turn their multipliers (or dividers) down.

It's odd that your Biostar 550 doesn't let you change the voltage but mine does...of course mine doesn't let me change the CPU Multi while others can do so.

Nevermind, I got it.

Going at 2.45 ghz at the moment with 22-26 C idle. Planning to do more.

Thanks for all of your time.

Wow, still going up.

2.61 ghz, idling at 23-29 C.