Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Core Multiplexing technology???

Xtreme Cruncher
    mm cookies.. can I have one?
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3GHz . DFI DK P45-T2RS Plus . XFX 9800GT 512MB . 8GB OCZ Blade PC2-9200 . WD6400AAKS AHCI .
    Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic . Hanns.G 28" LCD . Thermalright U120-E . Seasonic S12 600w . Windows 7 Professional E Retail x64 .

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrywild
    mm cookies.. can I have one?
    Theres none left....

Xtreme Member
    I don't understand how people could not want this technology when almost all desktop software is single threaded.

Hopefully it will have some nice results, but i through we were already doing this on a software level (OS - cpu wait states) maybe doing it on hardware level will provide better performance.
    Last edited by bigjohns97; 06-23-2006 at 01:47 PM.
    wolfdale e8400
    Corsair Dominator 6400c4 4x 1gig
    rampage formula
    evga 88000gtx
    x-fi platinum
    ocz powerstream 520

Not sure all the logic that would be needed to handle this could possibly fit in a bios update which is already full. The rumors say AMD requires a new cpu driver and an update to windows for their solution. That I can see, but a bios update? I doubt it. Everything sounds fine until you take into account running single core apps and apps that can actually use more then 1 at the same time. How does it switch from single to dual (or quad)? How often? What is the overhead of all that switching? When does it make a decision to stay in one mode or the other? Seems to be a lot of logic involved.

Banned
    BIOS doesn't have any code in it other than the setting bootstap options, initializing the CPU(s) and setting switches on or off (including setting timings, variables, conditions, etc.). To think that theres "code" in the BIOS to handle this is ignorant of how things work. A BIOS update does little other than tell the CPU to enable to technology....that's why all it takes it a BIOS flash and Windows code and/or CPU driver update.

That's exactly my point. How can they put the needed logic into the bios. And logic is needed. Unless their solution is all single core or all multi-core. If it is then it's worthless.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Donbp
    That's exactly my point. How can they put the needed logic into the bios. And logic is needed. Unless their solution is all single core or all multi-core. If it is then it's worthless.
    They're not, the BIOS is just a toggle option to tell the CPU to enable or disable the feature.

Donbp, instead of shoving the knife in and twisting. How about actually waiting for results first?

You come off sounding like a rabid fanboy.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Member
    What matters.

@ FCG or Tony:

Have you enabled this feature in Bios rev 1181?
    Have you run some single thread app?
    and if response to these questions is "yes", then, Is there a perfomance improvement?

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER
    Donbp, instead of shoving the knife in and twisting. How about actually waiting for results first?

You come off sounding like a rabid fanboy.
    Good point, although I do hope that it isn't like HT, in the way that it works better for Single threaded apps but multithreaded apps suffer..
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Member
    So do they actually use both cores together or do they disable one, and then overclock and use the cache ment for both cores on the other one?

Anyway if this is true and it works, imagine a 3.5ghz kenthsfield 4-in-1 in superpi 14 conroe-gigahertz effective

C2D E6300 @ 3.5ghz | 2x1GB ADATA "Micron D9" @ 500 4-4-4-12 2.3v | Asus P5B-E Plus C2 | Sapphire X1900XT 512MB | Tuniq Tower 120

lol..Hey, I didn't start this thread that says it will be enabled with just a bios update. Yell at who did.

beefin' it up!
    donbp, you're the one not realizing that the tech is already there, on the cpu, and all the bios is doing is flipping an on switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Sorcerer
    donbp, you're the one not realizing that the tech is already there, on the cpu, and all the bios is doing is flipping an on switch.
    Yeah, maybe I misunderstood what people were saying. It sounded like they were saying that was what it is. As everything today has just been rumors and smoke I was getting a laugh out of it.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Donbp
    As everything today has just been rumors and smoke I was getting a laugh out of it.
    ^ Lame defense after insulting everyone whos posted in this thread.

Xtreme Member
    I'm starting to love these technology secrets. You're already excited bout getting a conroe/kenthsfield then they tell you with a bios upgrade you get an TWO conroes/kenthsfields. Oh the joy.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by sealion
    I'm starting to love these technology secrets. You're already excited bout getting a conroe/kenthsfield then they tell you with a bios upgrade you get an TWO conroes/kenthsfields. Oh the joy.
    No. With a BIOS update you can simulate a much more powerful single core chip with a Conroe and a crazy-fast dual core with a Kentsfield.
    Member of Overclockers.com Folding @ Home team
    "<The_Coolest> you can't unwaste wasted CPU cycles" - Start FOLDing now!
    Main rig:
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700X / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
    Secondary rigs:
    Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB / GPU: HD5450 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
    Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / GPU: Integrated / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

Xtreme Member
    Lol, what he said. But yea, its awesome when something like this happens. Our performance just increased 66% in 90% of our apps without us having to do much about it, lol.

Xtreme Addict
    i dont like this concept, u get the best performance with kentsfield when there are 4 threads at once lol, how hard is it to do that !!!
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

the jedi master
    Guys don't forget AMD has a secret too, I have a feeling we may see PR's from both companies around 27th July or so...well im hoping they do..

I have no insider Info here, I have talked to neither Intel or AMD about this, i just read what gets posted and put 2+2 together, like Fugger says lets wait and see.

Regarding have a switched the option on...nope but FCG has,issue is we need the divice driver for XP to get it going and maybe a further bios update to straighten out some niggles etc...who know???

I know this much, it looks like both companies are pushing to better each other with secret tweaks they added into their latest CPU's, it can only make our experience of these platforms more enjoyable in the long run
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    Guys don't forget AMD has a secret too, I have a feeling we may see PR's from both companies around 27th July or so...well im hoping they do..

I have no insider Info here, I have talked to neither Intel or AMD about this, i just read what gets posted and put 2+2 together, like Fugger says lets wait and see.

Regarding have a switched the option on...nope but FCG has,issue is we need the divice driver for XP to get it going and maybe a further bios update to straighten out some niggles etc...who know???

I know this much, it looks like both companies are pushing to better each other with secret tweaks they added into their latest CPU's, it can only make our experience of these platforms more enjoyable in the long run
    Then I better make damn sure it is included in XS OS
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Addict
    ok, if ppl are still buyin am2, idk what intel can do to stop them lol
    they seem to have bested them in every concievable way, including having AMD's rumored tech lol
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grimREEFER
    they seem to have bested them in every concievable way, including having AMD's rumored tech lol
    Yeah
    Conroe -> more OC'able
    Conroe -> 8 IPC, AM2 6 IPC (with reverse HT)
    Conroe -> win

Still ... these RHT techs have gotta be lossy (in my unknowledgable opinion).... lets see some bencies

Xtreme Member
    first you might want to see something other than a rumor...

Also, please everyone stop talking like a quad core @ 3G will be equivilent to a single core at 12G, life don't work that way, you'll be lucky to get theequivilent of a 4G single core even IF this technology exists (obviously there will be some instances where it is higher, but on average). Also, it would likely work like the origional HT where some programs actually run slower if all the specualtions end up to be wrong. Or, backround threads might get in the way and gum up the works.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grimREEFER
    Ok, if ppl are still buying AM2, idk what intel can do to stop them lol.
    They seem to have bested them in every concievable way, including having AMD's rumored tech lol.
    Lol, best post summarizing Intel's current ownage I've seen in a while.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast