Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Core Multiplexing technology???

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailleur
    I dont think anyone ever doubted (not that ive seen anyway) that code could be paralelized by hardware. What was doubted (and rightly so) is that one instruction could be split to execute on 2 cores.
    David Kanter of RWT didn't believe so:

http://www.realworldtech.com/forums/...9280&roomid=11

Some bought it out of the shoot, others (like myself) were simply not convinced choosing to be more skeptical. It took me a few hours over two weekends to dig up enough literature and educate myself on the principle.

Actually, some of the enthusiast HW sites are exclaiming that AMD with RHT will meld 2 cores to mimic 1 virtual core, the Inq. claims it will take two 3 IPC (issue) cores and make one 6 IPC (issue ) core. This is not quite true, in fact the peformance speed up is governed by Amdahl's Law for the most part and how effectively the thread can segment and execute correctly. A 2x gain is quite not possible in a normal single threaded application. David Kanter does a good job above rationalizing the two different architectural states of each core.
    Last edited by JumpingJack; 06-26-2006 at 10:33 PM.

Xtreme Member
    if this is true the cpu will be fast as hell

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    So would this actually require a driver to be installed into the actual OS as well as a BIOS option?

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Haltech
    So would this actually require a driver to be installed into the actual OS as well as a BIOS option?
    Preferably just a Bios update. kind of how early dual core AMD samples needed a bios update for the computer to detect the second core...
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Member
    prospekt Veteranov, Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    Quote Originally Posted by lndeo
    802.11g
    802.11g is a proposed standard, describing a wireless networking method for a WLAN that operates in the 2.4 GHz radio band (ISM--Industrial Scientific Medical frequency band). By using OFDM (Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing) technology, 802.11g-based WLANs will be able to achieve a maximum speed of 54 Mbps. 802.11g-compliant equipment, such as wireless Access Points, will be able to provide simultaneous WLAN connectivity for both 802.11g and 802.11b equipment.
    further -

Quote Originally Posted by lndeo
    OFDM is nothing new — its core multiplexing principles have been applied to everything from satellite broadcast to ADSL. Over the last decade, the technology has played a critical role in wireless, forming the basis of the IEEE 802.11a standard and, most recently, the critical multiplexing scheme for the WiMAX Forum's next generation of wireless broadband specifications.
    http://forums.overclockers.ru/viewto...dcecf98e79ad8c

if bad axe has 802.11 integrated, bios item core multiplexing can just control 802.11 -)))))))))))
    Last edited by MAS; 06-27-2006 at 11:23 AM.

Xtreme Member
    though phrase "core multiplexing principles" can be explained also as "fundamental multiplexing principles" - if so, I am sorry

This thread made it to TweakTown

http://www.tweaktown.com/index.html#news_5891

Xtreme Addict
    lol it looks like core multiplexing was removed from the most most recent bios.

I don't have a Badaxe so I don't know, but didn't it just say they moved it from the main page... so the option could be on a different one? (I have no clue, just stabbing around in the dark so to say).

Xtreme Member
    do you still beleive in intel virtual core?
    unknown bios menu item is not a proof of its existance
    one more myth

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burdman
    I don't have a Badaxe so I don't know, but didn't it just say they moved it from the main page... so the option could be on a different one? (I have no clue, just stabbing around in the dark so to say).
    They hid the BIOS option. It is still there but hidden. Open the Bios with ITK to see.

Xtreme Member
    somebody, send me this bios image
    i will disassemble it and look at it's internals
    just interesting

Xtreme Member
    Wow, rumourmill is churning out a lot of pointless stuff from the gutter.. Homemade pictures and people believe in it.. Yes, "added for effect" sure made the wanted effect.

This is what Intel spokesman said when asked about it:

“We will support the disabling of one core in BIOS in a future BIOS rev.,” said Daniel Snyder, a spokesman for Intel Corp., when asked about the background of the technology. This means that once one core is disabled, the whole 2MB or 4MB cache reservoir on microprocessors that have shared level-two (L2) cache will be usable by one processing engine, which should boost performance in applications that cannot take advantage of two executing cores.

It is highly-likely that the feature will only work on the upcoming Core 2 processors code-named Conroe, which have shared L2 cache between its cores. It is also likely that the capability will allow quad-core chips to act like two dual-core processors in situations when four processing engines cannot be used efficiently.
    ASUS Sabretooth P67.B3
    Core i5 2500K 4900MHz stable/4500 Daily use
    Fractal Design R3 with Corsair TX 650W PSU
    G.Skill ARES LP 1600 @ 1866
    MSI Radeon 7950 @ 1150/1600
    OCZ Vertex 4 128GB FW 1.5

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scyphe
    Wow, rumourmill is churning out a lot of pointless stuff from the gutter.. Homemade pictures and people believe in it.. Yes, "added for effect" sure made the wanted effect.
    This is totaly different BIOS option (more related to power saving) and been known for a while now

Xtreme Member
    Yes.. and it's probably what all this misdirected hullaballo is all about. But what do I know (or anyone else for that matter).
    ASUS Sabretooth P67.B3
    Core i5 2500K 4900MHz stable/4500 Daily use
    Fractal Design R3 with Corsair TX 650W PSU
    G.Skill ARES LP 1600 @ 1866
    MSI Radeon 7950 @ 1150/1600
    OCZ Vertex 4 128GB FW 1.5

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    yes we do

EDIT: pictures added for effect.

Conroe: 2 -> 1 core possible

Kentsfield: 4 -> 2 cores possible

-FCG
    Congratulations, these diagrams are on all the enthusiast sites.
    ebay under aws983s, heatware under Mr. Tinker.

Xtreme Member
    these diagrams are on all the enthusiast sites
    but it doesn't work and scarcely will work

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LOE
    did you guys even read what Intel said? They said core multiplex disables one core so app can take full advantage of the shared cache...
    where did u read that ? link please ?

i||uSi0n^
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 *G0*
    ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
    G.Skill 2GBHZ DDR2-800Mhz (Dual Channel)
    XFX Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB DDR-III XXX Edition
    SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
    Seagate 500GB 7200.10 S-ATA-II 300 NCQ 16 MB Cache
    Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-112D
    Antec P180 Casing
    Zalman CNPS9500 LED
    Antec True Power Trio 550W Power Supply
    Windows Vista Ultimate Edition 32-Bit
    Samsung 206BW 20" Widescreen LCD

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LOE
    did you guys even read what Intel said? They said core multiplex disables one core so app can take full advantage of the shared cache...
    Thats not Core Multiplexing, thats the SW Single Core option in the BIOS.

Xtreme Member
    No, as far as I know with SW Single Core "enabled" in BIOS, one core is always disabled.

CMT lets to use the whole cache to one core when single thread app is running, but both cores are "active".

They are different things.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote me

SW single CPU does indeed cause the PC to boot and use only 1 core. SW single core gave a slightly faster Pi time tho that may be an anomaly.
    Quote Cooper in next post down

Don`t think it`s a anomaly. L2 is shared, so you have all 2MB just for one core -> better result.
    Given that explaination it looks like SW core disable does shove all the cache over to 1 core, and multiplexing is somethign else, probably as FCG described
    Asus P9X79 Pro | i7 3820 @ 4.875GHz | 4x4GB Corsair DDR3-1600| 3x 6970 Lightnings watercooled| Corsair 1200W PSU | Mountain Mods Ascension case |

Xtreme Member
    I don't think it's the same explanation. With SW single core enabled in BIOS, one core is *ever disabled*, so you have only one core, and yes, because shared cache, the only core enabled uses all cache.

With CMT both cores are *ever enabled* but when a single thread app is running, CMT lets that the core where it runs uses the whole cache too.

I extract this possible explanation of what CMT is, from here http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...627095448.html

Abit IP-35 Pro* INTEL XEON 3110@4050 MHz Air cooled* DDR2 2x1 GB * WD 300 GB * Cooler Master Stacker 830 * Tagan TG530-U22 * Radeon HD2900XT * Pioneer DVR 110D * Pioneer DVR 109-DB * SONY SDM X93 * Creative Audigy 2 * Creative Megaworks 250D*EPSON STYLUS PHOTO R1800

Xtreme Addict
    so how is single core different from this core multiplex technology?? they are different right?? CMT turn multi thread into 1 core or 2 core (kentsfield) right??

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theteamaqua
    so how is single core different from this core multiplex technology?? they are different right?? CMT turn multi thread into 1 core or 2 core (kentsfield) right??
    If its the same as what is shown in the Anandtech article then Core Multiplexing would allow an idle core to do speculative threading work instead of sitting doing nothing. If you have multi-threaded code then it goes to work on the other thread instead automatically.
    Single core mode turns off the second core completely, no operations carried out whether you have multi-threaded code or not.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast