Corsair Dominator 2GB 8500C5D @ 5-5-5-15 2T @ 561 MHz @ 2,40 V
    eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB @ 670 MHz / 2000 MHz / 1617 MHz @ TR HR-03 Plus
    be quiet! Dark Power PRO 600 W
    4 x Raptor 74 GB @ raid0
    HP w2207

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Yes it does.
    Member of Overclockers.com Folding @ Home team
    "<The_Coolest> you can't unwaste wasted CPU cycles" - Start FOLDing now!
    Main rig:
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700X / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
    Secondary rigs:
    Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB / GPU: HD5450 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
    Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / GPU: Integrated / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

Nice work.The temperature is about 1C higher what's shown in Speedfan. I consider it very accurate.

One problem though, why it doesn't show the TDP and TCaseMax for my Orleans 3000+?
    Last edited by dickeywang; 08-06-2006 at 06:56 AM.
    Opteron 165 0550UPMW 300x9=2700Mhz (vcore=1.35v in BIOS)
    DFI NF4 UT Ultra-D (04/06/2006)
    PQI Turbo 3200-2048DB @207Mhz(7/10) 3-3-3-6
    Antec TP-II 550w PSU
    VisionTek X800 128MB @440/420
    Cooler Master AMMO 533
    Windows XP pro SP2

Edit: Oops, sorry about the double post
    Opteron 165 0550UPMW 300x9=2700Mhz (vcore=1.35v in BIOS)
    DFI NF4 UT Ultra-D (04/06/2006)
    PQI Turbo 3200-2048DB @207Mhz(7/10) 3-3-3-6
    Antec TP-II 550w PSU
    VisionTek X800 128MB @440/420
    Cooler Master AMMO 533
    Windows XP pro SP2

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dickeywang
    One problem though, why it doesn't show the TDP and TCaseMax for my Orleans 3000+?
    If I remember correctly 49C is not a valid value. If the processor reports this value I believe The Coolest decided to ignore it in this release.

Xtreme Guru
    I must say my TCaseMax and TDP value seems somewhat low for this chip... An energy efficient Opty 165... yea right.

EDIT: nvm I see it's an already known bug and meant to be fixed in next version.

Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 08-06-2006 at 11:49 AM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

I just join to post this information regarding tcasemax and core temperatures...

tcasemax physically represents the maximum temperature allowed either at the top of the die or at the top of the IHS depending on how Intel or AMD did the thermal modeling.

core temperature since from the definition in the op is measured in the die, can only represent the junction temperature.

so, actually comparing core temp. to tcasemax would be incorrect.

you should compare tcase to tcasemax

again, tcase is physically the temperature either on the top of the die or on top of the IHS.

To convert, junction temperature (tjunction or core temp) to case temperature (tcase) you would need to know the thermal resistance of the die (silicon) and the thickness of the die if tcase is defined as the temp on top of the die. Or additionally, you would need to know the thickness of TIM, thermal resistance of TIM, thickness of IHS, and thermal resistance of IHS if tcase is defined as top of the IHS.

Max junction temperature is defined by foundry process only. Wafer subcons like TSMC defined this to be either 90C, 110C, 125C or 150C depending on different process. This is unknown for Intel or AMD since they fab their own wafers....

Xtreme Member
    here's mine

i have a opteron 165 and it seems to show core #2 temp in speedfan 4.29.
    i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz - Corsair A70 | Biostar TP67B+ | G.Skill RipJaws DDR3-1600 2x2GB | MSI HD7950 TF3 | X-Fi Titanium | WD 750GB Black | CM 690 II - Corsair TX850 | 2xDell 2407WFP A04/A03 | Win 7 Pro x64

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=48222

Xtreme Member
    Lovely little app. Thanks for your contribution, keep up the great work!

Hello,

i'm just wondering why in most cases Core temps (SpeedFan) are higher than Cpu tems???

Quote Originally Posted by martin_ezz
    Hello,

i'm just wondering why in most cases Core temps (SpeedFan) are higher than Cpu tems???
    Your conventional motherboard monitoring programs should be reporting the CASE TEMPERATURE (Tcase) as the CPU temperature. Again, depending how it is defined, it can be the maximum temperature at the top of the die (dead center temperature of the die) or the maximum temperature at the top of the IHS (dead center temperature of the IHS). The key point about Tcase is that it is can be physically validated by a temperature measuring tool (ie thermal couple).

The core temperature as defined in the original post here should be the JUNCTION TEMPERATURE of the die. Compared the CASE TEMPERATURE, JUNCTION TEMPERATURE is less useful to the average system builder or consumer because it cannot be measured physically without destroying the part.

Since Intel and AMD are not system builders (end products are ICs), they defined their products' design limit with Tcasemax (because Tcase can be measured by the customer). This is an industry standard way of reporting thermal limitation of ICs. Of course, they CAN also define Tjunctionmax since Tcase is derived from Tjunction, but customers who buy these ICs would not be able to verify the actual Tjunction. The ability to verify Tcase is very important to system builders (I don't mean average system builders but Dell, HP...) because they need verify the thermal design limit of the system.

Tjunctionmax is usually defined by wafer foundries based on the process technology of the wafer. For example, 0.35um process would have a Tjunctionmax of 150C, 0.13um process would have Tjunctionmax of 125C (don't quote me on this; just for example)...etc And you can see this in Nvidia graphic driver where they set the max core temperature to 125C.

Thus, if you know the Tjunctionmax of the CPUs, then knowing the core temps would be useful.

Or if you know (for example if Tcase is defined as top center of the die) the die thickness and the thermal resistance of the die per thickness and power draw of the die, Tcase can be calculated from the core temperature.

For the newer Flip Chip type IC modules (basically all CPUs and GPUs nowadays), the core temperature would be close the case temperature but they would not be identical since the thermal resistance of bare silicon has to be taken into account.

Under dry ice

i5 2500k / asus p8p67 pro b3 (1305) / 2x4gb gskill 1600 / evga gtx 560 ti fpb / seasonic s12 600w
    x25-m g2 80gb / 2*wd 320gb / 1*f3 1tb / x-fi / stacker / cuplex xt / bix 360 / eheim s600

retired: opteron 175 @ 2.65ghz / asus a8n32-sli deluxe / 2x1gb ocz eb plat / 7800gtx 256mb

Xtreme Member
    Nice program, thanks!

Would it be possible to add an icon to the program please?

Xtreme Member
    so how does this work with the new Intel Core duo CPUs ?

are the readings we are getting accurate at all ? there seem to be too many discussions at the moment about which program is accurate ...

Quote Originally Posted by Omarko
    so how does this work with the new Intel Core duo CPUs ?

are the readings we are getting accurate at all ? there seem to be too many discussions at the moment about which program is accurate ...
    If you're getting the results of the core temperature, you cannot verify it. You just have to take Intel or AMD's word for it.

I'm just pointing out that in this program, the core temperature is compared to Tcasemax which is comparing two different things. I'm not trying to discourage the author of this program, I think the program it is great, but I want to point the inaccurate way of how this program report results so everyone is aware and may be the author will make an update.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Holy ****!! i'm only doing 23-25c on core 1 and 31 on core 2. Smart guardian is showing 33-34c. Are you sure this is accurate stuff? MY room temp is 25c, so theres no way water cooling can dip below room temp.
    Last edited by bigKr33; 08-10-2006 at 09:21 AM.
    Gaming rig
    Mountain mods Plateau-18 -- Core i7 980x 4ghz -- Msi big bang x-power -- 6gb Mushkin redline 998691 ddr3 1600 (6-7-6-18-1T) -- Gigabyte GTX580SO (900/1800/1100) -- Win7 64bit pro

Heatware

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Seems everyone's speedfan reads almost exactly the same as this program, but mine is completely off.
    Last edited by bigKr33; 08-10-2006 at 09:18 AM.
    Gaming rig
    Mountain mods Plateau-18 -- Core i7 980x 4ghz -- Msi big bang x-power -- 6gb Mushkin redline 998691 ddr3 1600 (6-7-6-18-1T) -- Gigabyte GTX580SO (900/1800/1100) -- Win7 64bit pro

Heatware

Quote Originally Posted by Lolento
    If you're getting the results of the core temperature, you cannot verify it. You just have to take Intel or AMD's word for it.

I'm just pointing out that in this program, the core temperature is compared to Tcasemax which is comparing two different things. I'm not trying to discourage the author of this program, I think the program it is great, but I want to point the inaccurate way of how this program report results so everyone is aware and may be the author will make an update.
    I have written a similar programm for linux...
    you only read a value from a register and calculte the temp ( regvalue - 49), so the programm only reports what your cpu provides (in case of amd, I don't have a core2 duo ; and also havn't read the core 2 dup docs)

Xtreme Addict
    Since we are talking about inaccuracies we need to discuss the thermal diode. AMD states in their white paper that because of the location of the diode it may read up to 4C cooler then the junction temperature. Then they go on to state that the accuracy of the diode is +/- 10C. They also say that these values do not include any inaccuracies of the sensor on the motherboard. AMD also cautions manufacturers not to use the diode temperature for thermal design calculations.

None of us know how accurate the thermal sensor is built into the processor that Core Temp is reading. What we do know is that the temperature reported by the bios and programs that we have used in the past is at best a general indication of what the actual temperature may be. This information is nor speculation. It's presented by AMD in their design papers.

Quote Originally Posted by Praz
    Since we are talking about inaccuracies we need to discuss the thermal diode. AMD states in their white paper that because of the location of the diode it may read up to 4C cooler then the junction temperature. Then they go on to state that the accuracy of the diode is +/- 10C. They also say that these values do not include any inaccuracies of the sensor on the motherboard. AMD also cautions manufacturers not to use the diode temperature for thermal design calculations.

None of us know how accurate the thermal sensor is built into the processor that Core Temp is reading. What we do know is that the temperature reported by the bios and programs that we have used in the past is at best a general indication of what the actual temperature may be. This information is nor speculation. It's presented by AMD in their design papers.
    This is exactly where I'm getting at. System builders will not rely on reports of junction temperature because it cannot be validated.

Xtreme Addict
    Junction temperature can be verified. AMD outlines the procedure in one of their papers. They state the temperature reading will be within 2C of the junction temp. Manufacturers are told not to validate their systems using the thermal diode. The same diode that the bios, MBM and similar programs rely on that we have been using.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolento
    Your conventional motherboard monitoring programs should be reporting the CASE TEMPERATURE (Tcase) as the CPU temperature. Again, depending how it is defined, it can be the maximum temperature at the top of the die (dead center temperature of the die) or the maximum temperature at the top of the IHS (dead center temperature of the IHS). The key point about Tcase is that it is can be physically validated by a temperature measuring tool (ie thermal couple).
    what's a thermal couple???

Junction temperature can be verified. AMD outlines the procedure in one of their papers. They state the temperature reading will be within 2C of the junction temp. Manufacturers are told not to validate their systems using the thermal diode. The same diode that the bios, MBM and similar programs rely on that we have been using.
    Junction temperature can be verified. But you have to destroy the chip by drilling a hole from the pin side of the cpu to place the thermal couple.

Case temperature can be verified without any destructive technique.

Xtreme Addict
    AMD tells how to measure the junction temperature indirectly. Following their guidelines they claim the readings will be within 2C of actual junction temperature.

Two things we all know for sure. Core Temp is only as accurate as the thermal sensor. No where has any info been reported from AMD as to the accuracy of the sensor. But the info released from AMD states the diode can read as much as 6C high to 14C low. And as AMD says this does not take into account any inaccuracy of the motherboard sensor or the software being used.

AMD tells how to measure the junction temperature indirectly. Following their guidelines they claim the readings will be within 2C of actual junction temperature.

Two things we all know for sure. Core Temp is only as accurate as the thermal sensor. No where has any info been reported from AMD as to the accuracy of the sensor. But the info released from AMD states the diode can read as much as 6C high to 14C low. And as AMD says this does not take into account any inaccuracy of the motherboard sensor or the software being used.
    yes, the indirect method IS measuring the CASE TEMPERATURE, and then reverse derive the JUNCTION TEMPERATURE of the chip. But knowing the JUNCTION TEMPERATURE would not help you since you don't know what is the TjunctionMax.

Any time you measure the surface temperature of the chip, you are measuring the CASE TEMPERATURE.

Again, the CASE TEMPERATURE can be defined differently (however, always on the surface of the IC package) but the easiest definitions are either top of die or top of IHS. This is because these locations make it easy to calculate the JUNCTION TEMPERATURE.

On the other hand, if you define the CASE TEMPERATURE on the bottom of the IC package, it will be more difficult to calculate the JUNCTION TEMPERATURE because new IC packages use organic substrate instead of ceramic (like in the old days). The thermal resistance of organic substrate is hard to characterize due to asymetry in substrate design (copper thickness versus dielectric thickness makes a big difference). On the other hand, older ceramic substrate is much easier to characterize due to tungsten thickness and ceramic thickness have little effect on thermal resistance.

Anyhow, since Tcasemax is given for the AMD chips. You should just follow AMD's direction to measure Tcase. Knowing Tjunction does not tell you anything.

If you read AMD's paper, they assume you understand what is CASE TEMPERATURE and what is JUNCTION TEMPERATURE. So before you read them, read a book on IC thermal management.

I highly suggest you understand these meanings before you read any thermal management papers. Aside from Intel and AMD, other design houses use ThetaJA, ThetaJC, PsiJT...to define thermal design limits. You will not know how to build a reliable system if you don't know what these mean.

Definitions:

Case Temperature (not the pc case temperature) is the surface temperature of the IC package. This is usually defined as the top surface temperature of the IC package. The limitation of case temperature is defined from the maximum junction temperature allowed and the configuration of the IC package.

Junction temperature is the temperature on the active circuitry of the die (...how do you physically measure this without destructive technique once the die is packaged in flip chip form???). The limitation of junction temperature is defined by the wafer techonlogy.
    Last edited by Lolento; 08-11-2006 at 11:16 AM.

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast