Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELLO IN HERE! no one doing tecs anymore

Xtreme Cruncher

HELLO IN HERE! no one doing tecs anymore

I just thought something needed to be put in here because it has gotten really quiet in this section! I have my tec running good and it looks like no one else is tecing

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Not quite true.

I've actually been buying some parts and doing alot of reading because I want to give this a shot. Anothe fellow, Super Nade, has also just bought parts so there are still a few around with an interest.

Might have to contact you with some questions about that cold plate that you made not too long ago. How's that working out for you?
    In memory of Gracie, my sweet, sweet wife and mother of my children. Darling, we will miss you dearly. May you rest in peace (born to this world on March 30, 1976; went to her Heavenly Father on Good Friday, April 22, 2011).

http://animoto.com/play/E0wFhd6tN0nA...ent=challenger

Heat

Xtreme Cruncher
    well i'm afraid people have left tecs to either stick with standard aircooling or watercooling, or made the jump to phase - tecs are fairly diffucult to work with and can be quite expensive to setup, especially when the possibility exists that you could risk breaking your $$$ processor / whatever is being cooled

|Rig: AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ Windsor|6gb DDR2 800|Dual 250gb Western Digital RAID0|8600GT|

(12:16:17 AM) OC3D NoL: NOL EAT ANNOYING NOOBIE
    (12:16:19 AM) OC3D NoL: RAWRRRR

Xtreme Addict
    waiting for swiftech to get the kits in

so when that happens you`ll see alot of questions from me
    ________
    Honda Nsr50 History
    Last edited by billdavis; 03-08-2011 at 07:06 PM.

-150c Club Member
    especially when the possibility exists that you could risk breaking your $$$ processor / whatever is being cooled
    That exists with even the most basic of coolings.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Cruncher
    My cold plate seems to be doing great!! I am happy with it but I have not found anything other then a probe to be able to check the temp! mbm will not read it and the uGuru doesn't read it!! Every thing I have stays at 0.00 I need to get a probe in there to see what it really is! It is running so I just don't really want to mess with it yet! Ask away I am happy to help now that I know enough to say I understand it very well!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reefa_Madness
    Not quite true.

I've actually been buying some parts and doing alot of reading because I want to give this a shot. Anothe fellow, Super Nade, has also just bought parts so there are still a few around with an interest.

Might have to contact you with some questions about that cold plate that you made not too long ago. How's that working out for you?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Bring it on bill, we like to help other people on here!!

Quote Originally Posted by billdavis
    waiting for swiftech to get the kits in

so when that happens you`ll see alot of questions from me

Xtreme Cruncher
    Mario and nol are both very correct! I think that most don't want to deal with tecs because it takes a little more patience and is more thought driven! You don't have to worry as much on a phase change or a chiller!! That is just my

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well since this thread was open anyway. Just asking this cause I was wondering... Is there a limit to how low a TEC can go? Cause if people who used Phase Change used TEC's couldn't they go lower than they could normally? I mean if someone uses a chiller and keeps the TEC at 0C wouldn't the TEC go -40C to -50C or something. I know it depends on the heatload but...

Xtreme Cruncher
    you need to check the peltier's specifications, some can cool lower than others, i believe the measurement you are looking for is the delta T reading, or the maximum temperature differential it can create

|Rig: AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ Windsor|6gb DDR2 800|Dual 250gb Western Digital RAID0|8600GT|

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nah the differential I understand. The maximum is 69C. But what I'm wondering is if people use TEC's with phase change or chillers. Cause if you cooled the TEC low enough for example 0C then couldn't the cold side go to -69C well above that... For example
    A regular chiller someone may get -15C?
    If they used the TEC the TEC's hot side might = 0C then the cold side could be -50C give or take just an example.

Xtreme Addict
    I'll be joining the TEC group soon for my GPU. I just need to buy a PSU, finish off setting up my watercooling geat, and get a waterblock made.

Xtreme Member
    I used to TEC but they just don't have the capacity and haven't for awhile now. I used to run a 320watter on a s478 but even back then it couldn't hold up to the heat at full load during high overclocks and I ended up selling it and using normal water and got a better overclock without the TEC, never had condensation issues though even with idle cold plate temps below 0c.

now with my heat load in teh 230+ watt range, TEC is impossible.

but i did notice the mcw60t which I might buy, it looks GREAT! except with predictions of DX10 cards to consume large amounts of power, if true, they will have way too much heat load for the TEC.
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
    Intel i7 930 @4ghz
    EVGA GTX 480
    3x2GB OCZ DDR3-1600
    PCP&C Turbo Cool 860 watt
    Win. 7
    5.5ghz Presler Validation
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang
    I thought since that I pay for my internet. I could download anything I want.

Xtreme Addict
    I'll be using a 226Watt TEC on my 7800GTX .. I hope it will be enough.

Xtreme Cruncher
    yngndrw I am sure the 226 will cool your 7800!! I was thinking about putting one on a 7900gt but decided that it would cost me too much to do it! I would have to buy the copper because I don't have a big enough piece laying here! If I did do it I would cool the ram as well and that is the part that kills me on price! I have the dd block but no copper for the heat transfer!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    supercooling memory has been proven to do squat... better off just getting some standard ramsinks and save yourself the money

-150c Club Member
    0c hot side will get you far from -69C cold side. When you get very cold hot sides u can get only a tiny difference (like -40C hot, -41C cold) and less capacity.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337
    0c hot side will get you far from -69C cold side. When you get very cold hot sides u can get only a tiny difference (like -40C hot, -41C cold) and less capacity.
    Ok so there is a limit to how cold they can become? Is there a way to determine it jw

-150c Club Member
    Not really, I'd say test it. THere are TEC's rated for colder hot sides though, but they are not readily available and generally used in lasers and such in stacked pelt setups.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hmm, thanks for the info. When conroe comes out I'm building my entire computer and water cooling was in the budget but then I was thinking chiller+ TEC. I still might do TEC the only thing I find hard about it is the power supply's. If they weren't expensive and easier to find I would definetley do it but as of now I'm kinda undecided. Also instead of the regular storm I'd need something like the MCW6002 right?

Xtreme Cruncher
    I beleave the storm is not big enough for a tec! I may be wrong!

-150c Club Member
    ITs an impingement block and is designed to cool a tiny area not a large one.

Xtreme Member
    storm would be a bad block for a TEC, the 6002 if you can fabricate a good mounting bracket for a cold plate would be the best choice IMO for a TEC cpu block. I believe the apogee is too small as well for TEC units...i think with 45nm conroe and amd parts TEC's will become very feasible.
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
    Intel i7 930 @4ghz
    EVGA GTX 480
    3x2GB OCZ DDR3-1600
    PCP&C Turbo Cool 860 watt
    Win. 7
    5.5ghz Presler Validation
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang
    I thought since that I pay for my internet. I could download anything I want.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    haven't bought my water cooling kit yet :-P. Just saying I might do TEC's when I build conroe.

Xtreme Member
    FWIW, Bought a MCW60-T a week ago and the element is bad already. Was only running it @ 14v and the spec is 19.
    955 @ 5362 MHz on DD RBX @ 1.58v
    P5WD2-E Vcore mod, Vdim mod.
    8000ul @ 4,3,3,8 1170MHz @ 2.7v
    ATI 1900xtx, modded DDx18 / Modded EXOS II w/ Alphacool 1510
    Zippy 6850P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast