Thread: Building a new computer, need a good conroe motherboard

Building a new computer, need a good conroe motherboard

I'm building a new computer within the next 4 weeks, i'm just waiting on my paychecks. originally i was going to go AM2, but for now i will go the conroe route. I know conroe wont be out in the next 4 weeks, but i would like to buy an intel motherboard that will support conroe, and i will buy a cheap but decent dual core p4 for now. problem is, i'm not familiar with intel at all, so can someone recommend a nice conroe supporting mobo and decent p4 cpu? i hear conroe isnt gonna be available until september? i thought it was suppose to be july 23rd?

Xtreme Addict
    The only currently available motherboard is the Intel 975XBX bad axe motherboard.

It will be released July 23rd, the september thing is wrong.

Conroe is about 5 weeks out, just wait for July 23rd the selection will be MUCH better then. We will start to see alot more conroe boards this week and more and more as we get closer to the release.

ah i guess i can wait then, thanks for clearing that up. i guess i'll buy all my other parts except for the mobo and processor.

quick question, how are the nforce chipsets for intel? i heard with the nforce4 intel series it wasnt as good as it was for AMD. as i said before i am clueless about intel, so what chipset should i get?

Xtreme Addict
    The nf4 for intel sucked. We dont know about the NF 5xx series yet.

can you tell me which chipset is better then or is it too early to tell? 975x or 965x? i take it the 975 is better but again i'm not completely sure.

Xtreme Member
    too early I think, the 965 seems a little stronger if not going for crossfire though, I still think the 975 will come out on top though

Xtreme Member
    Are 965 boards really gonna appear this/next week?

I really, really want one

Xtreme Member
    I'd like to know when they're gonna pop up too as i'm starting to regret buying the intel board(arrives tomorrow) and may return it.

blah i dont know what chipset to get. i'll figure this out sooner or later though :P

is this good pc2 6400 ram? i was gonna go with pc2 5400 but saw the price on these.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231071
    Last edited by bLaZe; 06-18-2006 at 01:55 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Wow, that was a fast correction

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bLaZe
    is this good pc2 6400 ram? i was gonna go with pc2 5400 but saw the price on these.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231071
    I don't think those are clocking well, I'd go with the these teamgroup pc25300 chips, cheap and all at tankguys are micron d9gmh chips, great clockers doing around ddr2 1000+

Xtreme Member
    or maybe you'll get some that do better than these, same chips as I stated above http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=103615

Quote Originally Posted by toddm27
    or maybe you'll get some that do better than these, same chips as I stated above http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=103615
    these chips look really good, too bad i cant order them till next week, i'm waiting on my paycheck.

Xtreme Member
    yeah and there only 187