Thread: DFI Expert - 4 led of death - no post - what to do?

Xtreme Member

DFI Expert - 4 led of death - no post - what to do?

Looks like we got another one...

- Opteron 150 2.4GHz (stock, no overvolt, no overclock)
    - 2 x 1GB DDR (2.7V, 200Mhz, no overclock, no overvolt)
    - DFI Lanparty Expert
    - PSU Antec He Neon 430W and Fortron Blue Storm 500W PSU

What happened:

1. I'm in windows and I plug in a usb device: I get a pale blue blank screen (not BSOD) and system freezes. Can't power down using case front soft-power button. Have to switch off the pSU

2. After a CMOS Clear (several hours), removing cards, trying 2 PSUs and dancing the mambo-jambo, the following happens when power is turned on:

- All four debug leds light up and stay lit (4 leds)
    - no beep
    - no picture to monitor

Looks like either CPU or mobo is dead.

BTW, I just lost DFI Lanparty Ultra-D only four weeks ago (turned dead) and now this

Not having an access to a second CPU or second Mobo, how can I make sure which one is dead?

Mobo and CPU bought from different companies, so I'd rather not sent them both back, unless only one of them is dead.

Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by halcyon; 06-12-2006 at 09:39 AM.

try another cmos clear. Check all wiring for the psu(s), double check everything. also try using one psu again and see if that works. BTW what psu powered what?
    3200+ (looking for nice opty or 4400+) stock clocks :: Ocz gold 2x1GB ddr500 @ 250mhz
    BFG 7900gtx OC stock (saving for another):: dfi lanparty ultra-d modded to SLI
    OCZ modstream 520W :: 160gb WD IDE

Xtreme Member
    DFI Lanparty Ultra-D was powered by OCZ PowerStream 470W when it broke.

DFI Lanparty Expert was powered by Antec Neo HE 430W A3 when it broke.

I've now tried Fortron Bluestorm 500W also on both.

I also unplugged everything, reseated cpu, double-checked all power connectors, remove all extra cards, tried another set of RAM (also in different slots) and redid the CMOS clear.

No, nada. Does not work.

I guess its back to the store tomorrow - with two DFI boards (they died under different conditions, under different PSUs). Guess I'm just having a bad DFI month (2 boards dead in 4 weeks)

Xtreme Addict
    4 leds is a bad thing.... just had one of those a week ago, time to return it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    Well CPUs are like women they all like things specific ways for them.. Some love 8x and others Love 9x or 7x.. they all just have their G-Spot and you have to learn to use it..
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    He should have given up his nuts too. Since clearly anyone that wants any Apple product that bad, Should NOT ever breed.
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You mean 4 reds could be a blown board? Hmm. I suddenly thought there was hope for my x2 3800... but nah, it didn't work in my Asus either.

man halcyon, hope your CPU's ok - Opty 150 must cost twice a DFI Expert.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by stone_cold_Jimi
    You mean 4 reds could be a blown board? Hmm. I suddenly thought there was hope for my x2 3800... but nah, it didn't work in my Asus either.

man halcyon, hope your CPU's ok - Opty 150 must cost twice a DFI Expert.
    DFI's are just weird... but i've come to realize it's NEVER anything else but the mobo, sad in a way... but after 9 rmas you learn.
    Well CPUs are like women they all like things specific ways for them.. Some love 8x and others Love 9x or 7x.. they all just have their G-Spot and you have to learn to use it..
    He should have given up his nuts too. Since clearly anyone that wants any Apple product that bad, Should NOT ever breed.
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by eBoy0
    DFI's are just weird... but i've come to realize it's NEVER anything else but the mobo, sad in a way... but after 9 rmas you learn.
    After nine mobo RMAs, I might start to think what I could be doing wrong. Also, none of those PSUs are particularly impressive by today's standards, especially if you have a power hungery video card which I didn't see mentioned.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xenolith
    After nine mobo RMAs, I might start to think what I could be doing wrong. Also, none of those PSUs are particularly impressive by today's standards, especially if you have a power hungery video card which I didn't see mentioned.
    Or.... on 8 or the 9 mobos the DC died... the mobos still worked. One was just DOA.
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled