Thread: Yonah v Conroe Power consumption

Mr Fantasic

Yonah v Conroe Power consumption

Since they are based on the same arcitecture, it would be intresting on which chip was more efficient per watt.

I know the Yonah is mobile, so it theroy it should draw less power...

Has any one got any links for reviews ... or other information that they have come across.

Before some one comes out with a smart assed comment ... its not xtremepowersaving ... its xtremesystems ... Thanks i know!

RIP GrandDad , I'll miss you -15/07/1985
    RIP GrandMother, I'll miss you -08/08/2007

Dave is the man!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yonah is also just 32-bit..
    Asus Rampage II Gene - i7 920 D0 Lapped - Lapped Noctua NH12U-F
    Sapphire HD4870 X2 - 6GB Corsair Dominator GT@T1 - Windows 7 x64
    2 x WD Velociraptor 150GB Raid 0 - 500GB Samsung T166
    Antec ThreeHundred - Samsung A656 40"- TX650W

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This is not xtremepowersaving ... its xtremesystems

:P

sorry...well Yonah has a TDP of 31W iirc and Conroes will be 65W and 95W for the EE (from memory - I maybe slightly off).

Xtreme Member
    Ibby the proper comparison is Yonah versus Merom. Merom is the mobile part based on the same microarchitecture as Conroe.

And the answer is Merom has better performance/watt. In many tests it scores 10-20% higher than Yonah, while using the same amount of energy. So by definition, it can do more work with the same energy, so it has better performance/watt.

There will be an embargo lifted on the Conroe chips soon and you will start to see many more public reviews of them, probably followed up by Merom reviews.

Mr Fantasic
    thanks guys.
    RIP GrandDad , I'll miss you -15/07/1985
    RIP GrandMother, I'll miss you -08/08/2007

Dave is the man!

For those of us with yonah laptops will merom be a drop in replacement?
    Q9550@3700
    OCZ SLI PC2 8500
    DFI LP-UT P45 TR2
    4670 1gig
    antec 650 psu
    1-250 gig seagate perp os
    1-750 gig perp storage drive

Xtreme Mentor
    Merom, the Core 2 analog will be 20% faster at the same power dissipation, there are plenty of Merom/Yohna comparision benches in this forum to make the compare.

I am Xtreme
    Pretty sure the arcitecture isn't similar at all. A Yonah is similar to a Dothan, Core 2 is something all together different.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by wwwww
    Of course, if one has a dual cascade that maxes out at 80W, then they are both related.
    <----- REST IN PEACE, KIT. 1993-2007.

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat
    Pretty sure the arcitecture isn't similar at all. A Yonah is similar to a Dothan, Core 2 is something all together different.
    Nope, other way around....Yonah's Core Duo architecture - more similar to Merom and Conroe's Core2

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s7e9h3n
    Nope, other way around....Yonah's Core Duo architecture - more similar to Merom and Conroe's Core2

http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/6186/cpu39153jn.jpg
    didn´t think so ....

Core Duo (Yonah) is a Pentium M based architecture
    merom is a new design

CB

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by C_B
    didn´t think so ....

Core Duo (Yonah) is a Pentium M based architecture
    merom is a new design

CB
    Courtesy of Intel's Website:

As with the Intel® Pentium® processor brand, use of the number "2" signals the arrival of the next generation of technology to the Intel® Core™ processor line. In order to be consistent with our current Intel Core processor naming, we are continuing to use "Duo" to creatively and effectively indicate Intel® dual-core technology.

Xtreme Member
    Yes, all branding aside, Stephen, Yonah is similar to Dothan, but Merom is largely a new design, with over 80% of the die redesigned, and many novel concepts added. 4-issue vs. 3-issue core, 4mb shared cache with ultrafine grained power control, 128-bit wide SSE engine, memory disambiguation for speculative loads, etc...

Xtreme Mentor
    Yonah is closer to Merom and Core2 than to the Pentium-M. Mosstly it lacks 64 bit support and a few additional processing units.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wwwww

:P

sorry...well Yonah has a TDP of 31W iirc and Conroes will be 65W and 95W for the EE (from memory - I maybe slightly off).
    Nope, 95W got ditched when Intel ditched 3,3Ghz/1333FSB.
    Conroe is:

X6800 -> 75W
    E6700 -> 65W
    E6400 -> 45W

I think.
    . C2Q Q9550 | Asus P5K Deluxe | 4x1GB Corsair TwinX CL4 DDR2-800 | CLUB 3D 4870X2 | .
    . Corsair HX620W | XtremeMusic | Antec P182 | TR 120 Ultra Extreme | Ultimate x64 .

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uOpt
    Yonah is closer to Merom and Core2 than to the Pentium-M. Mosstly it lacks 64 bit support and a few additional processing units.
    sorry
    average users think like you but you err

please have a look on Intels processor design sheets ...

CB

Xtreme Addict
    Jus look at some benchmarks and you'll see that Yonah doesn't have those low scores in some tests (is it FPU intensive???) like the PM. Ok, it's no proof that it's closely related to Merom just because of that, but it's certainly not two PM's put together.

Ebay Hater
    hmm, C_B or steven? difficult call
    In short, both AMD and NVIDIA discovered that their next-generation graphics cards are superior to each others' last-generation graphics cards.

Admin
    C_B and iterations are correct. The Yonah is architecturally somewhat like two Dothans put together (I won't say fused, because it isn't).

As far as architecturally changes are concerned, Yonah->Merom has a lot more than Dothan->Yonah; the ones that iterations listed.

Real performance also reflects this pretty well. The new Celeron M's, and in fact even the Yonahs are very close clock for clock to Dothans, but the Merom is a very large jump forward. (Not bringing SuperPI into the picture)

Of course, it might be hard to stomach, since Yonahs and Meroms both use the same socket, and have similar logos. :p But they are in reality two completely different animals.

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam
    Real performance also reflects this pretty well. The new Celeron M's, and in fact even the Yonahs are very close clock for clock to Dothans, but the Merom is a very large jump forward. (Not bringing SuperPI into the picture)
    Why not? It's the only thing that matters