Thread: Dual core capable modded BIOS for the Asus P5P800 (non SE)?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Dual core capable modded BIOS for the Asus P5P800 (non SE)?

A few months back I picked up a P5P800 and at that time I was told by the seller that he thought he had heard that, with either a modded BIOS, or by flashing with the P5P800 SE BIOS, you could run dual core processors on this mobo.

Does anyone know whether or not this is possible, and if so, could you point me in the right direction as to how I can do this accomplished? Proven success is what I'm after.

I ran across a thread at EOCF from a young lad that had a modded BIOS but I haven't been able to get any info from him as to the source and whether it has been tested so I am hesitant to actually use this.

He also posted a link to the file over at TechPowerUp but again, I'm not sure that I want to flash my board with just any unknown BIOS from an unknown source.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=9475

Any help would be most appreciated (anybody want to take a stab at it??? ).
    In memory of Gracie, my sweet, sweet wife and mother of my children. Darling, we will miss you dearly. May you rest in peace (born to this world on March 30, 1976; went to her Heavenly Father on Good Friday, April 22, 2011).

http://animoto.com/play/E0wFhd6tN0nA...ent=challenger

Heat

The Stilt can help you.
    e4300@3000, Gigabyte GA P35 DS3, 8800GTS, CoolerMaster 460W, 2Gb Quimoda 800Mhz.
    Intel 530J 755 3000@3400 fsb:900, Asrock 775Twins, ASUS X800XL ViVo, 1 GB DDR2 @ 600, Twinham PC-SAT.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks...I'll send him a PM.
    In memory of Gracie, my sweet, sweet wife and mother of my children. Darling, we will miss you dearly. May you rest in peace (born to this world on March 30, 1976; went to her Heavenly Father on Good Friday, April 22, 2011).

Heat

I'm also interested about this.

Please let me know the result, thanks.
    (1. whether presler/cedar mill could work;
    2. if could, how the bios is moded[if more than copying microcode])
    Last edited by shadewither; 06-07-2006 at 09:15 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The Stilt's reply to my PM:

P5P800 bios version 1014 supports dual core Presler and Smithfield processors. All Smithfield steppings are supported, but only Presler B1 stepping works with this bios.

Get it here:
    ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socke...0/P5P80014.zip

My interest is in playing around with a cheap 805D proc so I should be good to go after an update.

Edit:
    Per the Asus site the latest BIOS for the P5P800 is the 1401 (not 1014)...probably a typo by The Stilt.
    Last edited by Reefa_Madness; 06-07-2006 at 03:14 PM.

Heat

Quote Originally Posted by Reefa_Madness
    The Stilt's reply to my PM:

P5P800 bios version 1014 supports dual core Presler and Smithfield processors. All Smithfield steppings are supported, but only Presler B1 stepping works with this bios.

Get it here:
    ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socke...0/P5P80014.zip

My interest is in playing around with a cheap 805D proc so I should be good to go after an update.

Edit:
    Per the Asus site the latest BIOS for the P5P800 is the 1401 (not 1014)...probably a typo by The Stilt.
    I think The Stilt means 1401
    p5p800 1401 p6 microcode = p5p800se p6 03xx cpu microcode, which support up to rev.b1

If you succeed to run 805 on it, please let me know. Thanks.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I received a reply from The Stilt indicating that it was a typo and that the correct BIOS number is 1401. He indicated that the latest BIOS (# 1401) should work just fine with Smithfield and Presler B1 stepping.
    Last edited by Reefa_Madness; 07-12-2006 at 07:07 AM.

Heat

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just a little update...I ended up passing on the 805D so I haven't tried the 1401 BIOS myself, but several guys have sent me PMs stating that it hasn't worked for them. Here is a copy of the last set of PMs back and forth.

Originally Posted by Reefa_Madness
    I have a BIOS that is supposed to be modded to work with DC but it has not been tested. If you want to gamble with it, send me your email address and I'll forward it to you.

Reply:
    Never mind, just had a reply from Asus tech support and they confirm the 2nd core is not supported due to the 'CPU VRM part design'. Thanks Reefa.

Would be nice to find out a little more about the modded BIOS that The Stilt used.

Heat

Reefa_Madness: I'm interested in that bios that is supposed to work with dual core cpu's. That VRM problem can be solved with a VMOD, the problem is that a trimmer that is not so simple to find is needed: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/...otherboard/122

I haven't tried it myself, but I would like to give it a try, if the BIOS could support a dual core processor.

anybody has p5p800 + d8xx working? or just guessing?

IT Engineer in the making
    If it's an AMI BIOS you could probably even add support for the latest D0 Presslers. Just a thought. MMtool makes it possible.
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."