Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Corsair 6400C3 at 1116MHz on AM2

Xtreme Legend
    Running RAS# to CAS# Delay at 2 is very difficult to do with 1GB modules, at least on the Intel platform. The C3's work best at 3-4-3 or 3-3-3.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra_bound
    Running RAS# to CAS# Delay at 2 is very difficult to do with 1GB modules, at least on the Intel platform.
    Does the memory controller of current AM2 CPUs even support tRCD 2? I remember Tony had a thread about it shortly before AM2's release, stating that the controller doesn't support anything tighter than 3-3-3.

Xtreme Legend
    I can't speak for AM2. 2X512MB kits will run 3-2-2 on the Intel platform.

I concluded a long time ago that memory speed is much more important than timings with DDR2. Given a choice between running 3-2-2 @ 350 vs. 4-3-3 @ 500, I would choose the latter any day of the week.

The reason why I bought the C3's is because they can run RAS# to CAS# at 3 at very high speeds, which is very rare for 1GB DDR2 modules. So you get the best of both worlds; speed and good timings. Many other DDR2 modules can't run X-3-X at DDR2-900 or higher.

Xtreme Member
    I concluded a long time ago that memory speed is much more important than timings with DDR2. Given a choice between running 3-2-2 @ 350 vs. 4-3-3 @ 500, I would choose the latter any day of the week.
    Well, I'd say that's a characteristic of the P4 platform, not the memory technology

The reason why I bought the C3's is because they can run RAS# to CAS# at 3 at very high speeds, which is very rare for 1GB DDR2 modules. So you get the best of both worlds; speed and good timings. Many other DDR2 modules can't run X-3-X at DDR2-900 or higher.
    Yeah, there's no denying that Corsair C3s are amazing. IMO Corsair is the leading brand in the DDR2 world ATM.

Love and Peace!
    i speak from personal experience that AM2 does no support x-2-2-x
    3-3-3 is the lowest it'll go it seems.. i wonder if amd will change that with revG's memory controller.
    Got a fan over those memory sticks? No? Well get to it before you kill them

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzimark
    i speak from personal experience that AM2 does no support x-2-2-x
    3-3-3 is the lowest it'll go it seems.. i wonder if amd will change that with revG's memory controller.
    Thanks, that's what I thought. But I still can't figure out what necessitates that limitation

c[_]
    well, it might actually go lower once we get a tweaker like A64 tweaker for it.. it was possible to set TRCD and TRP(R or W) to 1 for DDR1 with certain bioses or with A64 tweaker for instance.. or it could just be a limit of the memory controller (which sucks but can be overcome).

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Yes, we've all seen many examples of unofficial timings that actually do work (even though many values do not really work). But as tRCD and tRP are internal DRAM operations that don't really stress the controller, I'm pretty optimistic about it.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by _damien_
    Well, I'd say that's a characteristic of the P4 platform, not the memory technology
    Mmmm, not sure I buy that. But anyway, this discussion is straying from the subject of this thread.

Regarding the C3's, they are very expensive. But not many people have been disappointed by their performance.

Love and Peace!
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil
    well, it might actually go lower once we get a tweaker like A64 tweaker for it.. it was possible to set TRCD and TRP(R or W) to 1 for DDR1 with certain bioses or with A64 tweaker for instance.. or it could just be a limit of the memory controller (which sucks but can be overcome).
    use systool

it cas tcl 2 oddly enough, but not trcd 2 or trp 2
    Got a fan over those memory sticks? No? Well get to it before you kill them

c[_]
    you cant set CAS latency from within windows anyways, so that doesnt matter.

Systool was built from a64 tweaker iirc..

edit - or heavily influenced by.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil
    you cant set CAS latency from within windows anyways, so that doesnt matter.
    I don't think any DDR2-chips support CAS 2 anyway. Some of the internal DRAM operations would actually work at any setting, as long as the number of cycles provide sufficient time for signal stabilization. Many settings would work even @ 1, although in real life that would obviously require a pretty low clock frequency. However CAS latency is different, in that each setting must be build into the chips' I/O gating in the form of pipeline stages. If the chip lacks the CAS 2 stage, that setting simply won't work, regardless of voltage and clock frequency. CAS cannot be higher or lower than the supported settings - one example of that is the Winbond BH-design, which lacks the CAS 3 stage.

Mmmm, not sure I buy that. But anyway, this discussion is straying from the subject of this thread.
    Certain CPU-features determine whether a platform responds well to memory timings or bandwidth - that's an established fact. But yeah, it's way off-topic.

Xtreme Legend
    Back on topic. 6400C3's and Conroe.

Last edited by sierra_bound; 06-17-2006 at 04:13 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234