Thread: Change Charactersistics of Intel CPU's?

Xtreme Member

Change Charactersistics of Intel CPU's?

I have been reading a lot of the conroe/merom threads started and although I can't fiond the post I want to link to I want to ask teh question:

One guy mentioned that it is possible to change the defined parameters of an Intel CPU.

That is to say that you change a 3.4ghz cpu into an Extreme Edition for example.

I want to read up on this as a conversion to the next Gen Intel CPU is on the cards, I would like to see what I can do with teh CPU once I have it.

Also, I am looking for a 2nd PC to use 24/7 as this benching rig is uber power hungry - It's be great to get a 2.8 Prescott knowing I can change it to a 3.4 Prescott.

Can someone link me to the thread?

Cheers

Mav

ln2nl
    why would you... this aint fun!!
    *EDITed by IFMU*
    Signature Removed by XS Staff for not following XS Policies

Forum Policies

Xtreme Member
    Im not sure if this is along the lines of what you are speaking, but some have said that the P4 630 was built on the same fab as the Extreme edition just clocked down, so you are able to run 266FSB on stock voltage getting a clock of 4.0, there is also a way to do it on Dell systems and any other system with the 630 3.0 chip buy using some conductive paint on the bottom side of the CPU to raise the FSB from 200 to 266. I might be completely wrong on what you are speaking of.
    Pentium D 920 @ Max 5.0ghz
    P5WD2 E Premium
    Mushkin EM 991403
    Dual HC TDX custom water.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adeoliver
    Im not sure if this is along the lines of what you are speaking, but some have said that the P4 630 was built on the same fab as the Extreme edition just clocked down, so you are able to run 266FSB on stock voltage getting a clock of 4.0, there is also a way to do it on Dell systems and any other system with the 630 3.0 chip buy using some conductive paint on the bottom side of the CPU to raise the FSB from 200 to 266. I might be completely wrong on what you are speaking of.
    I am not sure if thats what I heard (I really need to find the comment) but I thought there was like an Intel SDK that allowed you to do this in Windows/DOS.

Mav

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maverik-sg1
    I am not sure if thats what I heard (I really need to find the comment) but I thought there was like an Intel SDK that allowed you to do this in Windows/DOS.

Mav
    No that was a trick for the X975 motherboard to enable FSB functions for all the cpu's that were normally only availible to Extreme Edition CPU's.

You can't simply change a CPU to another cpu. The only way is overclocking and if it doesn't have the same cache you can't enable it.

So after all it's NOT possible, only way to get better performance out of a cheaper cpu is by overclocking

My Rig:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
    2x512mb Micron PC3200 OEM D9DQW "Fatbody"
    Biostar TForce P965 Deluxe
    MSI/Medion GeForce 6700XL (Cheap )
    Chieftec 360W (in search for someting better)
    WD 160GB S-ATA

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maverik-sg1

It's be great to get a 2.8 Prescott knowing I can change it to a 3.4 Prescott.

Mav
    That sounds to me like taking out ur 2.8Ghz Prescott buying a 3.4 Prescott and slot it back in - Upgrading

Or overclocking it to 3.4 Prescott.

I dont know what you mean lol

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaWaN
    No that was a trick for the X975 motherboard to enable FSB functions for all the cpu's that were normally only availible to Extreme Edition CPU's.

You can't simply change a CPU to another cpu. The only way is overclocking and if it doesn't have the same cache you can't enable it.

So after all it's NOT possible, only way to get better performance out of a cheaper cpu is by overclocking
    Thats the one (the x975 tweak) - so two things really:

1) Please link me to this.

2) Looks like my 2nd PC will be LGA775 with a 975 chipset