Seasonic Platinum SS-1000XP
    M-Audio Audiophile 192
    LG W2486L
    Liquid Cooling System :
    ThermoChill PA120.3 + Coolgate 4x120
    Swiftech Apogee XT, Swiftech MCW-NBMAX Northbridge
    Watercool HeatKiller GPU-X3 79X0 Ni-Bl + HeatKiller GPU Backplate 79X0
    Laing 12V DDC-1Plus with XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir Top
    3x Scythe S-FLEX "F", 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoon "15", Scythe Kaze Master Ace 5,25''

Apple MacBook Pro 17` Early 2011:
    CPU: Sandy Bridge Intel Core i7 2720QM
    RAM: Crucial 2x4GB DDR3 1333
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
    HDD: ADATA Nobility NH13 1GB White

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterFlex View Post
    What about some improvement of design?
    After a million downloads during the last year, the user community has shown me that they like RealTemp but hardly anyone is willing to contribute by donating some money to this project. I have donated thousands of hours of my time but 99.999% of users have donated nothing. Here's what 6 months of donations look like and most of those donations are for my new program, ThrottleStop.

I wasn't expecting this to be a get rich quick scheme but when I can't afford any new hardware or software to develop on, I have to look at doing other things with my time. RealTemp is free to use but it hasn't been free to develop.

The good news is that I finally updated RealTemp GT for the Gulftown 6 core users and got the ATI and Nvidia GPU stuff working last night. That should be ready for testing in a day or two. When I can afford to buy some Sandy Bridge hardware, maybe I'll do a maintenance release next year if it is needed.

Xtreme Cruncher
    how does one donate unclewebb?

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

Xtreme Member
    unclewebb, you're much appreciated. Thanks for the time & effort.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post
    After a million downloads during the last year, the user community has shown me that they like RealTemp but hardly anyone is willing to contribute by donating some money to this project. I have donated thousands of hours of my time but 99.999% of users have donated nothing. Here's what 6 months of donations look like and most of those donations are for my new program, ThrottleStop.

<snip image>

I wasn't expecting this to be a get rich quick scheme but when I can't afford any new hardware or software to develop on, I have to look at doing other things with my time. RealTemp is free to use but it hasn't been free to develop.

The good news is that I finally updated RealTemp GT for the Gulftown 6 core users and got the ATI and Nvidia GPU stuff working last night. That should be ready for testing in a day or two. When I can afford to buy some Sandy Bridge hardware, maybe I'll do a maintenance release next year if it is needed.
    That sucks. The community has really dropped the ball on this one. Donation sent!

Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    how does one donate unclewebb?
    via paypal to email address: monitrex@yahoo.ca
    previously posted in this thread over 1 1/2 years ago.

Previous PayPal post by unclewebb

EDIT: unclewebb, you should add your paypal info to the first post. I had to search for it, which unfortunately gives people an easy reason to opt out.

Quote Originally Posted by sn0man View Post
    unclewebb, you're much appreciated. Thanks for the time & effort.
    Talk is cheap, how about a donation?
    Last edited by sdsdv10; 09-11-2010 at 04:08 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    sdsdv10,thanks for the link

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

Xtreme Enthusiast
    How about integration of shell for G15 display like CT has in future? I apologize if it's awkward moment to ask for
    due to donation issue.
    ..:Core i7 870///eVGA P55 Classified///VTX3D Radeon 6970///Asus Xonar D2X///16GB F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL///WD 6400AAKS 640Gb///Samsung F2 EcoGreen 1.5TB///Samsung F4 EcoGreen 2TB///Pioneer DVR 216///Seasonic X-series 850///Corsair Obsidian 800D///Logitech G15 rev.1///Logitech G400@Zowie G-TF Spawn///Philips 240SW:..

..:EK Supreme Acetal///Bitspower Black Freezer EIP55NSC///Magicool Pro III///S-Flex E@7v///Laing DDC-1T w/ EK Plexi top///EK Multioption 150:..

Xtreme Addict
    RealTemp 3.59.6 + RealTemp GT 3.59.0
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/...alTempBeta.zip
    http://www.mediafire.com/?2a7pn2f1y2kql01

After almost a year, I finally got around to updating RealTemp GT. It won't be calling everything and anything a Core i9 anymore.
    I don't have any 6 core CPUs to test with so if anything needs fixing, let me know.

Erklat: Core Temp's G15 support works so I probably won't bother with this feature.

First thanks for the link sdsdv10

Donation sent!

Second and foremost. Thank you so much for an awesome program unclewebb. Love the new additions to Real Temp GT. It looks awesome.

screen shot
    Last edited by CKY2K; 09-19-2010 at 03:55 AM.

Crunching for Poppabear
    Donation sent as a gift. It was not much, mabye I can send more later. Many thanks for all the time and effort you have put into this.

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks for posting that picture CKY2K. I'll get the Intel Intel naming bug fixed up in the next release. At least RealTemp GT is finally calling these CPUs Core i7-980X.

I appreciate the donations but I wasn't trying to fleece some more cash out of XS members. People on XS have always been great with donations and especially with feedback. The feedback is the most important part. Without enough hardware to test on, I have to do a lot of guessing so good feedback and showing me when there's a problem is more important than cash.

You only need to use the 3 Digits option for the system tray when you are using Fahrenheit and a tiny font. When monitoring in Celsius, I hope you're not seeing core temperatures over 100C or else there's a problem. The new Core i processors aren't capable of reporting a core temperature beyond 100C so this option isn't needed for most users.

I've been promising the W1zzard over at TechPowerUp a new version for quite a while now. It looks like it's almost ready for prime time.

The last thing I'll be adding to RT is adjustable turbo multipliers. That's a handy feature for the Core i Extreme and K series CPUs. I'll send the new version to you CKY2K within a couple of days for some testing.

No problem unclewebb and thank you. Does the 3 Digits option also work in Celsius? "The new Core i processors aren't capable of reporting a core temperature beyond 100C so this option isn't needed for most users" I've been there a few times with an ES & Retail-980x. The highest I've seen with Real Temp on one core was 104C with an ES (screen shot if you want), retail was 101C.

I always try to post new versions of Real Temp over at evga. I hope it helps .
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=581948

Xtreme Addict
    My mistake. I was thinking about the original Core i7-920 retail CPUs that had a maximum core temperature of 100C but you're right, some of the newer Core i CPUs go to 101C like your Core i7-980X and I think some of the mobile Core i CPUs top out at 105C.

After this point, even if the CPU gets hotter, the sensor will keep outputting the same data and won't go any higher than whatever TJMax is for the CPU. I used to be able to trick the Core 2 based CPUs and still get some data out of them but Intel blocked this little trick in the Core i design. Coincidence I'm sure.

With a normal sized font and the Three Digit option, you won't be able to see all three digits very well because there is a very limited amount of space in the system tray. For testing, switch to Fahrenheit and you'll see what I mean. The only way to see three digits is to use a tiny font. I use Celsius so I prefer not using the 3 digit option. When the temperature gets up to say 101C, by default, RealTemp will drop the first one and show that temperature as 01 in the system tray. If you are overclocking and running your computer on the ragged edge, I think you will know that 01 means 101C and not 1C. 1C or 5C will show up as the single digit 1 or 5 without the zero in front of it.

Thanks for sharing RealTemp with others that don't hang out at XS.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 09-19-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    donation sent
    for all the hard work you put into this great
    program,it is a pleasure to help out any way
    i can.thank you very much for realtemp

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

Xtreme Addict
    RealTemp GT 3.59.1
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/...alTempBeta.zip

- added a feature to allow access to the turbo multipliers and turbo TDP/TDC settings in the Extreme and K series CPUs.
    - fixed the minor Intel Intel naming bug.

Can someone with an Extreme or K series CPU right click on the RealTemp GT icon in the system tray and test out the new Turbo Boost Limits option. Intel plans on adding more K series CPUs for enthusiasts to their new line up so I thought giving users some control over the turbo multipliers and turbo TDP/TDC settings would be a good thing to add to RealTemp. On a regular Core i CPU, this new feature should show you the default values for your CPU but the adjusters will be locked. The adjusters will only be unlocked if your CPU supports this feature.

Increasing the turbo TDP/TDC limits on a Core i7 Extreme mobile CPU like the 920XM or 940XM can double the amount of energy going through your CPU which will significantly increase your full load core temperatures so try to use some common sense. That might be hard when your jaw hits the floor.

These new features have only been added to the RealTemp GT version at the moment but as soon as I get some feedback and see some screen shots, I'll be adding this feature back to the regular version of RealTemp as well.

Let me know if there are any problems.

Thanks radaja for your support.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 09-29-2010 at 10:59 AM.

Xtreme Member

I know my cpu is not supported but just posting to show it works and it is locked on 920's.
    Main Rig

Gigabyte z78x-OC Bios F5n
    i7-4770k batch L310B492 Malay @ 4.5ghz with HT 1.2v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD (boot drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port4
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Suppreme HF Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Server
    HAF 932
    Gigabyte z77x-UD3H F13
    i7-3770S batch 3212B621 supports VT-D and low power
    32GB 4x8gb Muskin Enhanced Blackline 10-10-10-27@1.65v
    Vmware vSphere ESXi 5.0u1
    4x500GB Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.D Raid 10 on a IBM M1015 <- DataStore
    Sapphire HD 5850

I absolutely love it! Thank you for your continued efforts on this app. Me and my i7 980x thank you!

Xtreme Member

Well, there used to be an image here.

Go here: http://img202.imageshack.us/f/rtgt133x24x3002.png/
    Last edited by ehume; 09-29-2010 at 08:43 PM.
    Hotrod: Core i7 860 22x182 4GHz Vcore 1.3125v | Noctua NH-D14 w/ P14 + 2 x AP-14's
    Gigabyte P55A-UD3P f13 | 4GB Ripjaws DDR3-2000 @1820MHz | Gigabyte HD 4670 1GB
    Kingston V+ 64GB SSD + Barracuda 1TB 7200.12 | NZXT Beta Evo | Seasonic X-650

Xtreme Member
    Go here:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/8...33x24x3004.png

There is clearly some kind of posting rule I do not understand.
    Last edited by ehume; 09-29-2010 at 08:45 PM.
    Hotrod: Core i7 860 22x182 4GHz Vcore 1.3125v | Noctua NH-D14 w/ P14 + 2 x AP-14's

Xtreme Addict
    acebmxer: Thanks for that post. Most of the new code was a Copy & Paste from my ThrottleStop program but it's always nice to see that I didn't screw something up.

On the Core i Extreme CPUs or on the K series, the adjusters will be unlocked and it will be easy to bump the turbo multipliers up a notch or two.

The Turbo TDP/TDC power limits are a great feature for the Extreme mobile CPUs. I think the 940XM has a default TDP/TDC of 62/62. When you increase that to 90 or 100, you get a lot more turbo boost and a huge increase in performance. No more turbo throttling. I'm sure Intel will be impressed.

If you have a desktop board with limited TDP/TDC adjustments in the bios, this might also be a useful feature when overclocking to prevent turbo boost from getting throttled.

Xtreme Addict
    ehume: Can you lower or raise your turbo multipliers from the 30 that they are set to?
    Thanks for the images. Some boards set TDP/TDC very high to prevent the CPU from doing any turbo throttling at full load.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post
    ehume: Can you lower or raise your turbo multipliers from the 30 that they are set to?
    Thanks for the images. Some boards set TDP/TDC very high to prevent the CPU from doing any turbo throttling at full load.
    Please explain what TDP and TDC are. Intel uses a 'TDP', but that is Tcase.

I was just now testing out the Turbo multipliers. According to Real Temp GT, my multipliers slow down nicely when the load is off, but run up beautifully when the load is on. I am now running at a default of 22x134MHz, with HT, TB, C1E, C-states and EIST all enabled, and Vcore on Auto. Watching RTGT, I have seen the multi drop as low as 10.5. With LinX on, all four cores go up to 30x and the cpu speed up to around 4020MHz.

Weirdly, EasyTune6 does not know how to handle the speed, but reports the same voltage as CPU-Z. But CPU-Z reports cpu speed as 3900-4000MHz, with multipliers running 29x to 30x. Clearly, it can't handle the software-managed Turbo Boost adjustment either.

What you have given me is what I wanted from Asus P7P55 boards: the ability to adjust TB, which the 875k supports.

Bravo!

Xtreme Addict
    The turbo TDP/TDC settings that RealTemp now lets you access controls when the processor will give you turbo boost.

For an example lets pretend we have a Core i7-940XM that has these both set to 62. If you are trying to run 8 threads of the wPrime benchmark, when the CPU hits 62 watts of power consumption, these CPUs are designed to immediately turn off the turbo boost so the multiplier will drop back to the default which is only 15. This will reduce power consumption and when the CPU gets back under 62 watts, full turbo boost will resume until you are once again over the 62 watt turbo limit. The CPU is being continuously adjusted like this hundreds of times a second which is why RealTemp calculates the average multiplier using the Intel recommended method. A lot of software doesn't use this method and it shows. I refer to this pattern of turbo boost on and turbo boost off as turbo throttling. By default, the i7-940XM will turbo boost up to a maximum multiplier of 25 but RealTemp can let you go higher than that if you want to. When all 8 threads are fully loaded, you might only average a multiplier of about 20 so you end up losing a lot of performance due to turbo throttling.

Turbo TDC is the amount of current (amps) that flow through your CPU before turbo boost is throttled back. If you boost the turbo TDP/TDC up to about 90, the CPU will continue to give you full turbo boost on all 4 cores even when fully loaded. The 940XM can run all 4 cores with this option with the full 25 turbo boost multiplier on each core. It makes a significant difference when benching and has put a big smile on the Alienware M17x owner's faces over on the Notebook Review forums.

The turbo multiplier reported by RealTemp has always been very accurate. If you have any of this turbo throttling going on when fully loaded, it should pick it up right away.

I just got this new feature added into the regular 4 core version of RealTemp. It's still just being beta tested but should work exactly the same as RealTemp GT is working for you.

http://www.mediafire.com/?s7wlkkrm08386fg

On your CPU, you might be able to lower the TDP/TDC values way down if you want to watch what turbo throttling is all about when you are fully loaded.

Edit: I need to add some code so the turbo multipliers and turbo TDP/TDC values are restored after you do a stand by / resume or hibernate / resume cycle. If you ever accidentally save some sky high multipliers and RealTemp keeps trying to use those when you start it and it crashes, just go into the RealTemp.ini file and remove the two keys, ONEADEAX and ONEADEDX. This will prevent RealTemp from using the previously saved values. I might build a little more user friendly safety feature on this so when someone accidentally tries to overclock their CPU to 8000 MHz, it will stop and ask you if you're sure. With XS members, it's never a good idea to assume anything. 200 MHz x 40.0 = hmmm, that seems about right.

Edit #2: I fixed up the stand by / resume code and have finalized RealTemp 3.60. Hopefully the W1zzard over at TechPowerUp has a chance to get the download site updated before the weekend.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 09-30-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Xtreme Member
    @unclewebb:

For my setup and screenshots of your software in action, look here.

Xtreme Addict
    RealTemp 3.60
    http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...Temp_3.60.html

The first official release in a long, long time. Here's the official log:

* Added Core i Turbo multiplier and Turbo TDP/TDC overclocking for Extreme / K series CPUs.
    * Added ATI GPU and improved NVIDIA GPU monitoring with CrossFire and SLI support.
    * Added a system tray / notification area font selector.
    * New Fahrenheit and 3 digit system tray option.
    * Fixed Core 2 Extreme multiplier reporting.
    * Fixed Core 2 mobile CPU C0% based load reporting.
    * Changed how Core 2 Super Low Frequency Mode (SLFM) is reported.
    * Improved sensor test consistency.
    * Bug with Reset button on ATI systems fixed.
    * RealTemp GT for the 6 core Gulftown CPUs was also updated.
    * Separate i7 Turbo GT multiplier monitoring tool for 6 core Gulftown CPUs added.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ehume: I tested TMonitor a long time ago and all I can say is don't believe what it tells you. It does not follow the Intel recommended method as clearly outlined in their November 2008 Turbo White Paper which rge shared with me a long time ago. RealTemp has been following the correct method ever since then.

rge also did some testing of TMonitor and he wasn't happy either. I try to avoid commenting on the competition but in this case I don't mind to because TMonitor is clearly wrong. So is CPU-Z at idle but a high multiplier makes for a better screen shot at idle so I can understand why CPU-Z does what it does. No one would be happy if they went to do a validation and the true multiplier was displayed.

If you go into the Control Panel -> Power Options and play around with the Minimum processor state setting and set that to a low number like 5%, the RealTemp multiplier will drop down just like TMonitor is showing you. The C1E adjustment in RealTemp can also affect the average multiplier your CPU is operating at when idle.

When RealTemp is showing a dancing multiplier at idle, that's a sign that your CPU is in a state of chaos. The multiplier is constantly jumping up and down because your power saving requests are not in agreement. One wants the CPU to use a high multi and one wants your CPU to use a low multi so it tries to do both. When you fix this problem, the RealTemp multiplier will be very steady. The programmer of Core Temp also decided to start using the Intel recommended method. I have not thoroughly tested the recent version of Core Temp but when I did test it last, it was nice to see that I was finally not the only one trying to do this correctly.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 09-30-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Page 169 of 180 FirstFirst ... 69119159166167168169170171172179 ... LastLast