Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New, Lamptron FC-5 Fan Controller - LCD screen Controller

Engineering The Xtreme

New, Lamptron FC-5 Fan Controller - LCD screen Controller

Hey Guys,

Lamtron Have asked me to bring this to you, their new fan controller which is looking beastly if I do say so myself.

30w per channel and RPM and temp monitoring!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It does look awesome. Do they export to Europe?
    ASUS Sabertooth P67B3· nVidia GTX580 1536MB PhysX · Intel Core i7 2600K 4.5GHz · Corsair TX850W · Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    8GB GSKill Sniper PC3-16000 7-8-7 · OCZ Agility3 SSD 240GB + Intel 320 SSD 160GB + Samsung F3 2TB + WD 640AAKS 640GB · Corsair 650D · DELL U2711 27"

Xtreme Member
    scythe ultra kaze am cry

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks oddly familiar to the Scythe Kaze Master Fan Controller :P
    http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/ac...01_detail.html
    Sub-Silentio: Stable 3.83Ghz:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz ....... | Lian Li V2010 ........... | DDC3.2 w/ XSPC Top ... | Bios .. 1104 |
    | EVGA GeForce GTX 280 1024MB ........... | Zalman ZM1000-HP ........ | TFC 480 .............. | Vcpu . 1.36V |
    | Asus Striker II Extreme nForce 790i ... | Razer Lachesis .......... | Zalman ZM-F3 ......... | V nb . 1.50V |
    | Corsair XMS3 DHX DDR-1600 7-7-7-20 .... | Razer Lycosa ............ | D-Tek Fuzion V2 ...... | V sb . 1.50V |
    | WD 300GB Velociraptor ................. | Hyundai W240D-PVA 24" ... | EK-FC280 ............. | Vmem . 1.90V |
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All suggestions welcome - Overclocking tips here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/...d.php?t=208522

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NaMcO View Post
    It does look awesome. Do they export to Europe?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Bobly View Post
    Looks oddly familiar to the Scythe Kaze Master Fan Controller :P
    http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/ac...01_detail.html
    Looks the same indeed, but the kaze will pretty much burn up if you hook up more than 2 fans per channel.

Xtreme Addict
    Finally, maybe someone has a decent fan controller that has rpm readout. Sunbeam has a nice beefy 30W per channel controller but no RPM readout. And the Scythe which I have 2 of, has nice rpm readout but only 1 amp per channel, and maxing that out often leads to problems, one of mine is already dying.

That will likely be my next fan controller, has best of scythe and sunbeam combined.

edit: damunk beat me to my point and said it better

Xtreme Member
    I have run three per channel for several months now with no ill effect. Got three gentle typhoons on one and three s-flex es on another as we speak.
    i7 920 DO 3850A849 @4410 under custom water.
    Asus P6T deluxe V2
    3X2gb Mushkin DDR3 1600 998691
    Sapphire 4870 1g
    Corsair Hx 850 psu
    2 G.Skill titan 128gb SSDs in RAID0 Data
    Intel X25-M OS drive
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Chasing After Diety
    i heard a ton of complaints with lamptron

And i have a ton of personal complaints with scythe kaze master.

So im kinda in a mix'd possition on this.

But snipe u should also know the ton of people who had issues with lamptron.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Addict
    I never read anything on lamptron...what kind of issues with it?

Edit: Actually may have found issue here, Naekuh are you talking about digital pwm issue which was causing slow down/speed up and squealing in some fans like deltas. I guess sunbeam, scythe use analog, ie true infinite steps controllers.

Guess have to wait and see if that problem is resolved, seems like if they released something new they would fix it...but who knows.
    Last edited by rge; 09-06-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Admin
    I've had bad experiences with their Hummer/Fan-Atic series of fan controller switches....they don't modulate the 12v line with it and instead reduce voltage to 7v by creating a new ground plane (at roughly 5v--they use the 5v PSU line for reference with some control circuitry...they don't just hook up the 12v and the 5v and call it 7v, IIRC). Which is fine and well until you go to monitor RPMs of the fan. If you use a cable that has only the yellow wire, you get nonsensical RPM readings, and if you use a cable that has the yellow wire and the ground wire (usually fixes the errant readings), the ground wire overheats in a few seconds. If you catch it in time (like I did), it merely melts away the insulation on the wire. If you don't, I'd fear a small electrical fire or killing the fan controller or something.

Xtreme Member
    I just wish someone would make a controller that could actually tame the fans i want to tame. This one.. still not even close to the power per channel i need which is 4amps @ 48w. Then again they are 260cfm san aces, i doubt they'll ever be particularly quiet. My current fan controller for them is a crappy old PSU that barely has the power to run 3 on full blast.. it has two settings, on and off.

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    i heard a ton of complaints with lamptron

And i have a ton of personal complaints with scythe kaze master.

So im kinda in a mix'd possition on this.

But snipe u should also know the ton of people who had issues with lamptron.
    The FC-2 had a problem with the design and making noise before, the new one has fixed this, I have one on the desk here.

Also all of their units have been electrically redesigned since old versions - most of them are PWM based no I think.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    The FC-2 had a problem with the design and making noise before, the new one has fixed this, I have one on the desk here.

Also all of their units have been electrically redesigned since old versions - most of them are PWM based no I think.
    I didn't quite get it - so is the new one PWM or analogue based?
    Sig is under construction

Xtreme Member
    Gaming Box

Ryzen R7 1700X * ASUS PRIME X370-Pro * 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 * XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB * Corsair HX620 * 250GB Crucial BX100 * 1TB Seagate 7200.11

EK Supremacy MX * Swiftech MCR320 * 3x Fractal Venture HP-12 * EK D5 PWM

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post

They would bloody want to, the FC2 from Lamptron was the biggest piece of crap i have ever layed eyes on, every single fan i had squeeled its head off running on anything less than 12v so i wasted $70 AUD on a fan controller to combat noise that just replaces fan noise with an even more annoying noise?

I tried another controller and had no problems. In the end i just ran them at 7v which i should have done in the first place.

Email em and they said it was a limitation of the PWM technology, which is not true they just didn't know how to design it properly to combat the frequency output that is resonates in the fans why release a product when they know it has that sort of a fault.

Lamptron FTL lol
    Last edited by orig3n; 09-06-2009 at 01:28 PM.

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by orig3n View Post
    They would bloody want to, the FC2 from Lamptron was the biggest piece of crap i have ever layed eyes on, every single fan i had squeeled its head off running on anything less than 12v so i wasted $70 AUD on a fan controller to combat noise that just replaces fan noise with an even more annoying noise?

I tried another controller and had no problems. In the end i just ran them at 7v which i should have done in the first place.

Email em and they said it was a limitation of the PWM technology, which is not true they just didn't know how to design it properly to combat the frequency output that is resonates in the fans why release a product when they know it has that sort of a fault.

Lamptron FTL lol
    Like I said the noise is fixed in the new version, all you have to do is talk to lamptron and they will give you a new one AFAIK

Xtreme Member
    I got another FC-2 recently and I noticed the new one did not make any weird noises on my Yate loons (PTS: Medium speed) & S-flex like the previous one, hell even the whole thing lit up! they fixed the damn piece of metal blocking the side LEDs too I previously mentioned about in one of my mods.

Old version - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...light=FC-2+mod

New one Below installed into my Tagan A+ Black Pearl (Lian Li v2000 OEM)

Nice to know they actually improve the product.

Both work fine with my High speed Comair Rotrons fans. Going to use the new one on my desktop with low speed fans and the old one for my Tech station table with the high speed fans.
    Work and School, Work and School, oi!

Xtreme Member
    I'm all over the one with the White Readout.

Availability?

Xtreme Member
    What the Scythe one should have been.

I am Xtreme
    Very nice.

Now, if they could make one that automatically controls RPM's via adjustable pot controlled thermal probes, I'd be all over that
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    price ?

i want them now!

Engineering The Xtreme
    this just in: MSRP is $54.99 for this fan controller

Xtreme Member
    when will it be available?

Xtreme Member
    Wow, not too bad at all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast