Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Mcw60-4870

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    It sounds like you are asking about a copper block on the CPU and Al on the ICs?
    How do you join the two together, especially since it looks like the heatpipe is connected over the ICs?
    Even with the high prices of copper I don't think it would save that much money once you put them together well enough to not impact thermals.
    KISS is still the best policy.

Edit- I'm sorry Utnorris, I did misunderstand your discontent with the product.
    Yes. I see your point now.

The most pressing question is this: When will it be sold on sidewindercomputers.com and petra tech shop?

Xtreme Addict
    Just order from them. I ordered mine Tuesday I think, and got it today.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    So who has this yet, what are your idle/load temps?

I am going to try and check the seating, but I am 63C idle. No OC yet.

And the block is pretty hot.
    False alarm, user error. The block was mounted good. But when I had my head down there checking it out, when I powered on I noticed my rad fans werent spinning. Must have accidentally turned the knob down. noob.

If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    This product is VGA model specific. The biggest difference compared to other solutions is the deliberate attempt to reduce wasted material, while preserving (actually enhancing) performance. This is costing us time to market since it requires more thought and resources, but should allow us to reduce cost of ownership.
    This is really clever, do you have any plans to produce something like this for the 4870x2?

edit: awesome, just read your reply on the previous page.
    Last edited by halo112358; 11-06-2008 at 06:37 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Mine came in today:

Everything went smoothly except for the heatpipe. You can see in the picture that the top screw hole for the heatpipe section doesn't line up with the hole in the card. All the other holes line up. This is because it's near impossible to get the heatpipe fully in with the 4 backplate screws tightened from step 2. Maybe my pipe was bad but it would not go in all the way even when the hex bolts were loose.

After loosening the back plate screws the heatpipe finally slid in. But it's still not dead center with the card's hole and the thread stripped trying to get it in.

Is this a defective mosfet heatsink or did I do something wrong?

No tests yet. My loop is still being put together. Going to wait for the weekend to finish it up. The card does work when the computer posts so that's a good sign.

edit: I tried the heatpipe from the second mcw60-4870 and it doesn't have that problem. I guess this one is just a lemon.
    Last edited by jc99; 11-06-2008 at 07:50 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for the pics jc99. Will await your results
    [ Lian-Li V1000B // EP45-UD3P // E8400 // HD4870 ]
    [ W/C by EK, MIPS, D-tek, Bitspower, Swiftech, XSPC]
    [ Project LucentTide - WORKLOG! ]

Xtreme Member
    One thing I noticed with the mosfet heatsink that wouldn't fit was that it was bent such a way that when you went to slide the heatpipe into the base the mosfet heatsink was below the card and not above mosfets. The one that fit properly was angled so that when you inserted it, it was aligned above the mosfets.

Aberration, did you notice any of that?

Xtreme Addict
    The only thing I noticed was that I had to loosen the allen bolts where the heat pipe slides in because it wasnt flat all the way across. But they tightened up OK. There doesnt appear to be any tilt to the mosfet block. Maybe just a lemon, they didnt flatten that part right.

I also at first thought that the spring loaded screws that hold it down where stripped, but I think they are captured so it will only let you tighten so far.

I am at work now, but I will get some temps when I go to lunch.

Xtreme Member
    The only thing I noticed was that I had to loosen the allen bolts where the heat pipe slides in because it wasnt flat all the way across. But they tightened up OK. There doesnt appear to be any tilt to the mosfet block. Maybe just a lemon, they didnt flatten that part right.

I also at first thought that the spring loaded screws that hold it down where stripped, but I think they are captured so it will only let you tighten so far.

I had to loosen both the allen bolts and the backplate screws to get the heatpipe to go in.

One of the screws on the heatpipe that didn't fit very well is definitely stripped. It pops out if you wiggle it. The other screw stops firmly.

Xtreme Member
    gabe any update on the 4870x2?
    -to big to say it all- i can only use up to 4 lines

Xtreme Addict
    So under load with furmark.
    GPU Dispio = 44C
    GPU Memio = 51C
    GPU Shader = 45C
    VDDC #1 = 60C
    VDDC #2 = 62C
    VDDC #3 = 69C

Idle
    GPU Dispio = 39C
    GPU Memio = 42C
    GPU Shader = 37C
    VDDC #1 = 44C
    VDDC #2 = 44C
    VDDC #3 = 47C

This was with F@H running for over 10hours, and then running FurMark to make sure its loaded fully. And then idle for about 2 min.

Xtreme Member
    I got a response from Gabe about the one mosfet heatsink problem I had:

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    These heat pipes are made of very soft copper. Simply looking at them in one direction for too long will bend them away! I am obviously joking, but you get the picture. Shipping just had its way with one of your heat pipes. But all is not lost! Fixing this is very, very simple. Just loosen back the 3 screws clamping the heat pipe to the mosftet heatsink so that you will be able to slide the heatsink along the heat pipe in the Y axis if needed, and then gently bend the pipe in the X axis in the direction that you want to align with the mounting hole! Don’t go to strong, these things really bend easy!

Once aligned, tighten the 3 screws back, and you are ready to roll!

Cheers
    So the heatpipe seems to be pretty malleable. Just be careful applying pressure on the card. Wouldn't want to accidentally slip or anything.

Abberation, those temps don't look bad at all. What kind of rad/fan setup do you have?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mmm nice temps
    [ Lian-Li V1000B // EP45-UD3P // E8400 // HD4870 ]
    [ W/C by EK, MIPS, D-tek, Bitspower, Swiftech, XSPC]
    [ Project LucentTide - WORKLOG! ]

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by jc99 View Post
    Mine came in today:

Everything went smoothly except for the heatpipe. You can see in the picture that the top screw hole for the heatpipe section doesn't line up with the hole in the card. All the other holes line up. This is because it's near impossible to get the heatpipe fully in with the 4 backplate screws tightened from step 2. Maybe my pipe was bad but it would not go in all the way even when the hex bolts were loose.

After loosening the back plate screws the heatpipe finally slid in. But it's still not dead center with the card's hole and the thread stripped trying to get it in.

Is this a defective mosfet heatsink or did I do something wrong?

No tests yet. My loop is still being put together. Going to wait for the weekend to finish it up. The card does work when the computer posts so that's a good sign.

edit: I tried the heatpipe from the second mcw60-4870 and it doesn't have that problem. I guess this one is just a lemon.
    One thing I noticed with the mosfet heatsink that wouldn't fit was that it was bent such a way that when you went to slide the heatpipe into the base the mosfet heatsink was below the card and not above mosfets. The one that fit properly was angled so that when you inserted it, it was aligned above the mosfets.

Aberration, did you notice any of that?

I had to loosen both the allen bolts and the backplate screws to get the heatpipe to go in.

One of the screws on the heatpipe that didn't fit very well is definitely stripped. It pops out if you wiggle it. The other screw stops firmly.
    I got a response from Gabe about the one mosfet heatsink problem I had:

So the heatpipe seems to be pretty malleable. Just be careful applying pressure on the card. Wouldn't want to accidentally slip or anything.

Abberation, those temps don't look bad at all. What kind of rad/fan setup do you have?

Nice.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    Nice.
    Awesome!

On that thought, if you don't like the design, you can always vote with your wallet. Free market after all.
    Last edited by jc99; 11-07-2008 at 10:42 PM.

Xtreme Member
    wow nice temp on the vreg, can you try with furmark.exe renamed?, how much can this new bock hold the temperature.
    thx

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by ward0 View Post
    gabe any update on the 4870x2?
    Yes, we are having last minute detail issues. Need a few more days to fix, sorry However, since I am cruel by nature, here is another teaser pic. YES! it lights up. The green comes from the Hydrx. Different coolant, different color. Ah, bling! don't shoot!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CALDERA-4870X2x400.jpg 
Views:	941 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	88710  
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Member
    Gabe that looks nice! Can't wait for the release! I'll be definitely grabbing one!
    twwen2 convo:

Brenton(switch8): "what's the assignment like? Is it hard or just big?"
    Tom(twwen2): "both long and hard"
    Tom(twwen2): "omg that sounded so dodgy! LOL"

[Project Switch Box] My Build Log.

Banned
    so wheres the 4850 version? if you make one of those I'll buy 2!

Xtreme Addict
    Yes, we are having last minute detail issues. Need a few more days to fix, sorry However, since I am cruel by nature, here is another teaser pic. YES! it lights up. The green comes from the Hydrx. Different coolant, different color. Ah, bling! don't shoot!!!
    I know its a long shot ,, would this be 3870x2 compatable?

P.s. Rugged looking and no its not to much bling,, Nice workmanship .
    "AMD...Like the perfect Storm,...Everything needs to be just right"
    X555x4SuperCore@4450mhz@1.64v..........

RYZEN 7 1800x/ ASUS ROG STRIX VEGA64/ =EK NICKEL WB, Feser THC 2x360 1x480
    X470 Gigabyte Aorus7, Patriot 3400mhz 16gb dual2x8
    SSD Samsung 970pro,,860EVO

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by philbrown23 View Post
    so wheres the 4850 version? if you make one of those I'll buy 2!
    He has stated already there are no plans for the HD4850 in anything other than the plain MCW60.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Quote Originally Posted by switch8 View Post
    Gabe that looks nice! Can't wait for the release! I'll be definitely grabbing one!
    You and me both.

Engineering The Xtreme
    the blue accryl is PERFECT (for me) thank you gabe, I believe this block will have a prime feature spot in my new build! (any chance I could get a discounted one for the mcr320 contest? PM me if so)

Xtreme Member
    Update. Sidewindercomputers has the revision 2 reservoir and the MCW60 - 4870.

Xtreme Member
    thanks for the update gabe, keep us in touch
    -to big to say it all- i can only use up to 4 lines

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast