Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Techpowerup First GTX 280 Review is gone

Xtreme Legend

Techpowerup First GTX 280 Review is gone

Sorry guys, we have to respect NDAs, I requested removal of the thread.

Please do not repost the info, it's not the final data anyway.

If you want to discuss our review methodology, how GTX280 reviews should be done or anything similar without using our NDA info feel free to continue.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Errik89 View Post
    I agree... the fact that they already have an overclocked GTX280 is VERY strange!!
    we do, wait till monday

- also investigating 3870x2 scores now

Xtreme Addict
    I think it is enough to know that the GTX 280 beats the 9800GX2 in most of the cases , waiting for the final review , regards
    Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.8GHZ 1.28V (Core Contact Freezer)
    Asus X58 P6T
    6GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600MHZ 8-8-8-24
    XFX HD5870
    WD 1TB Black HD
    Corsair 850TX
    Cooler Master HAF 922

Live Long And Overclock
    My Take On W1zzard's Scores

W1zzard's benches can only be compared to his own previous reviews and to no other. That is the way his review philosophy is designed, and allows him to differentiate with other reviewers.

Let's take the 9800GTX Scores at 1600x1200 w/ 4xAA 16xAF:

Techpowerup, Crysis: 39.9 FPS
    Xbit, Crysis: 23.9 FPS

Techpowerup, STALKER: 55.6 FPS
    Xbit, STALKER: 48.1 FPS

Techpowerup, COD4: 58 FPS
    Xbit, COD4: 48.4 FPS

Techpowerup, Quake Wars: 75.6 FPS
    Xbit, Quake Wars: 58.5 FPS

Those are just some of the differences, and a lot of the increase seen in W1zzard's reviews come from the increase in CPU power, seeing as Xbit tests it's systems with a 3Ghz dual core and TechPowerUp does so with a 3.6Ghz dual core.

Traditionally, Xbit has had scores that are more inline with what other reviews have come up with while TechPowerUp's reviews are not meant for that at all, and are geared towards actual performance for overclockers.

EDIT: W1zzard you have a weird way of doing things, but we'll respect NDA (Should never have put it up in the first place)

Perkam
    Last edited by perkam; 06-14-2008 at 06:55 AM.

Xtreme Legend
    we use a custom timedemo for quake wars, cod4 and stalker .. so its really impossible to compare those against other numbers

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Good thing I saw the results while it was there, all I have to say it, that's very impressive when you compare it to the current gen cards.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam View Post
    W1zzard you have a weird way of doing things, but we'll respect NDA (Should never have put it up in the first place)
    i never put up the review for public viewing. the way we create articles @ tpu is that you create the article and its url is created, it is not listed on the site anywhere at all, except for staff. this allows reviewers to send the link to manufacturers so they can check out the review.

apparently one staff member was so excited about the review that he sent the link to a friend, and the link somehow ended up at a russian overclocker forum. when i saw the hits increase this morning i immediately removed the article but people had saved copies .. so someone makes a thread at xs .. poof thousands of people see it and other sites run the story ---> drama. *unplugs phone* because nvidia will call me soon

Xtreme Enthusiast
    BTW: W1zzard whats up w/ an new GPU-Z for HD4800 Series?
    Ist deine Karte jetzt angekommen?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T@3.5GHz@Scythe Mugen 2 <-> ASRock 970 Extreme4 <-> 8GB DDR3-1333 <-> Sapphire HD7870@1100/1300 <-> Samsung F3 <-> Win8.1 x64 <-> Acer Slim Line S243HL <-> BQT E9-CM 480W

**** happens :P

Xtreme Guru
    Which driver will you be using? 177.34? Is it possible that 177.26 is tested as well if strange results occurs to limit the pluasible causes of driver issues somewhat. Don't know anything about 177.34 myself but the 177.26 with modded inf on my 8800GT runs beautifully.

And W1zzard I'm sorry to hear about all the hysteria this has created and possibly conflicts from NVIDIA, hope it turns out well...
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 06-14-2008 at 07:09 AM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Legend
    no gpuz for 48xx yet because german customs is holding my card that i should have received this week

nvidia recommends the 177.34 driver for testing.. "There are no significant performance differences between this driver and 177.26."

V3 Xeons coming soon!

EDIT: W1zzard you have a weird way of doing things, but we'll respect NDA (Should never have put it up in the first place)

Perkam
    To be fair to W1zzard,he did all he could for damage control and I pulled the thread for him.
    Hard to fault him personally here.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    @W1zzard: Wer h&#228;lt deine Karte und wo? Sie ist doch schon versand worden, oder?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T@3.5GHz@Scythe Mugen 2 <-> ASRock 970 Extreme4 <-> 8GB DDR3-1333 <-> Sapphire HD7870@1100/1300 <-> Samsung F3 <-> Win8.1 x64 <-> Acer Slim Line S243HL <-> BQT E9-CM 480W

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by w0mbat View Post
    @W1zzard: Wer h&#228;lt deine Karte und wo? Sie ist doch schon versand worden, oder?
    Jun 12, 2008 7:19 AM
    Clearance delay
    FRANKFURT DE

Jun 11, 2008 10:29 PM
    Clearance in progress
    FRANKFURT DE

german customs = deutscher zoll

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Das ist doof
    Hoffe das geht bald weiter.

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    To be fair to W1zzard,he did all he could for damage control and I pulled the thread for him.
    Hard to fault him personally here.
    I would never fault him, especially since I didn't know. But I imagine a lot of members are disappointed (seeing as views dropped from 400 to 200 in XS news in less than 10 mins) that the leak was removed from XS.

Seeing as last I checked, XS isn't techpowerup. I imagine it would be far more difficult to do the same if the results were posted on an obscure Russian forum. W1zzard is a respected member of the community and so it makes sense to agree with his request, but it doesn't negate the dissappointment members feel for the censorship of the leak beyond W1zzard's own forum, which is the only one that is under his control

We hated this when AMD contacted OBR and asked him not to post his numbers. If there are leaks, there are consequences, and they are the responsiblity of the source to control them, but censorship of the leaks beyond their own borders or to sites/people to whom the NDA does not apply leaves members feeling a little ripped off

Perkam

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by w0mbat View Post
    Das ist doof
    Hoffe das geht bald weiter.
    Not that it bothers me personally but for forum posts please do it in English per the rules.
    If you need to communicate in another language please do it in PM's.
    That way everyone is happy..
    Thanks.
    I would never fault him, especially since I didn't know. But I imagine a lot of members are disappointed (seeing as views dropped from 400 to 200 in XS news in less than 10 mins) that the leak was removed from XS.

Seeing as last I checked, XS isn't techpowerup. I imagine it would be far more difficult to do the same if the results were posted on an obscure Russian forum. W1zzard is a respected member of the community and so it makes sense to agree with his request, but it doesn't negate the dissappointment members feel for the censorship of the leak beyond W1zzard's own forum, which is the only one that is under his control

We hated this when AMD contacted OBR and asked him not to post his numbers. If there are leaks, there are consequences, and they are the responsiblity of the source to control them, but censorship of the leaks beyond their own borders or to sites/people to whom the NDA does not apply leaves members feeling a little ripped off

Perkam
    I see your point, and it is valid.
    The question then becomes do we serve the interests of a member with a problem that needs to be addressed or ignore that request
    and toss him to the wolves.
    My thinking was that when an XL at XS PM's me and asks for help I do what I can and right then.
    That green in the name says to me he's earned that position and I do what I can.
    That black and white to me..
    Last edited by Movieman; 06-14-2008 at 07:20 AM.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No problem, wont do it again.

Xtreme Legend
    Seeing as last I checked, XS isn't techpowerup.
    thats why posting our copyrighted content is not allowed anyway. the other way to fix such things is to send a dmca complaint to the hoster who sends an email to the server owner who has to remove the content or the server will be disconnected. not that i would do this to any website, but thats what's possible legally (for servers hosted in the US)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by W1zzard View Post
    i never put up the review for public viewing. the way we create articles @ tpu is that you create the article and its url is created, it is not listed on the site anywhere at all, except for staff. this allows reviewers to send the link to manufacturers so they can check out the review.

apparently one staff member was so excited about the review that he sent the link to a friend, and the link somehow ended up at a russian overclocker forum. when i saw the hits increase this morning i immediately removed the article but people had saved copies .. so someone makes a thread at xs .. poof thousands of people see it and other sites run the story ---> drama. *unplugs phone* because nvidia will call me soon
    Man I hope you can get away with it. I'm under NDA myself at work and in my case, if I as much as bring an mp3 player in the research area where I work, I'm automatically fired and sued...
    PC: none at the moment
    Lappy: Dell Latitude D520
    CPU: Core Duo T2300E 1.66GHz
    RAM: 1 Gb generic
    VGA: Intel 950 gma
    HDD: 60 GB Hitachi 5400 rpm + 250 GB Phillips external
    Mouse: Razer Lachesis
    Mousepad: Razer Mantis
    Headphones: AKG K701 + LittleDot MK II + Behringer U Control UCA202
    OSes: Fedora 9 - work || XP-games (only DOTA)
    Additional cooling: seated on cigarette packs with custom made USB powered fan

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    thats why posting our copyrighted content is not allowed anyway. the other way to fix such things is to send a dmca complaint to the hoster who sends an email to the server owner who has to remove the content or the server will be disconnected. not that i would do this to any website, but thats what's possible legally (for servers hosted in the US)
    That's why it was much better the way you handled it.
    Things in life are always handled better when done in the tone of friendship vs pure business..
    Net result is the same but everyone walks away smiling this way.

Xtreme Legend
    That's why it was much better the way you handled it.
    Things in life are always handled better when done in the tone of friendship vs pure business..
    Net result is the same but everyone walks away smiling this way.
    i did in no way mean this as a threat. i just wanted to describe the legal options to the original poster

those are the settings we use for crysis:

anybody see something wrong ?

Live Long And Overclock
    Wrong actually

You could have asked for the first post to be deleted. The comments in the threads without the slides are not under your copyright, but I understand MM's decision and it was a good one, leaves a bad taste in the mouth is all

Ty for the settings. Looking forward to the big review

Perkam
    Last edited by perkam; 06-14-2008 at 07:27 AM.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Wrong actually

You could have asked for the first post to be deleted. The comments in the threads are not under your copyright, but I understand MM's decision and it was a good one, leaves a bad taste in the mouth is all

Ty for the settings. Looking forward to the big review

Perkam
    Hi Pal!
    The issue with just pulling the first post is that the rest of the thread wouldn't have made sense. I know, I did pull just the first post and then said the rest has to go.

Live Long And Overclock
    Hi Pal!
    The issue with just pulling the first post is that the rest of the thread wouldn't have made sense. I know, I did pull just the first post and then said the rest has to go.
    I know I know

But he was talking in a legal sense, which I am familiar with, and I just wanted to correct him on the legal obligations on XS, which are to remove TechPowerUp's content only. XS is not liable to remove the comments.

My apologies if I'm stretching the issue

Perkam

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast