Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The purpose of vdroop?

Quote Originally Posted by RyderOCZ View Post
    Should be plenty of explanation right here: http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=126

If you haven't already read it
    Holy smokes.

I think I got even more confused then I was before.

Is there an explanation in English? ( unfortunately I dont speak Rocketscientish )

I know there are people here who do, so could you (please kindly) translate?

VDroop is inevitable, right? Is there any way to control it without VMods?

How come the manufacturers dont make MBoards that would have less VDroop if it's possible with VMods? I don't mean tweaking the heck out of it - just control VDroop better? They have all the means for this to be done safely... Improved performance would sell more motherboards and bring more recognition by experient users. Am I wrong?
    Last edited by Geek77; 12-27-2007 at 12:52 PM.
    6600 @ P5WDHdlx, 2GB Gskill HK, 8800GTS 320MB, 41A @ 12v

No time to poop - I'll just do it on my way down the stairs!
    American Dad

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Geek77 View Post
    Holy smokes.

I think I got even more confused then I was before.

Is there an explanation in English? ( unfortunately I dont speak Rocketscientish )

I know there are people here who do, so could you (please kindly) translate?

VDroop is inevitable, right? Is there any way to control it without VMods?

How come the manufacturers dont make MBoards that would have less VDroop if it's possible with VMods? I don't mean tweaking the heck out of it - just control VDroop better? They have all the means for this to be done safely... Improved performance would sell more motherboards and bring more recognition by experient users. Am I wrong?
    Simply put vdroop is necessary to stop you trashing your cpu in the long run. Think of it like this, using simple science

Power = Voltage x Current

We wanna run our cpu at a set voltage so now:

Power is proportional to current

Logically your cpu uses nore power when loaded than when idling along ie it needs more current

Because of the limitations of the power circuit (and life) you cannot instantaniously supply a large current (it needs time to build up) therefore if you suddenly have to supply a large current then the voltage will momentarily sag (like if you changed up a gear on your car).

The opposite happend when the load is removed, the voltage will "overshoot" monentarily until settling back down. Now as Kris has pointed out that the purpose of vdroop is to counteract this overshoot (amongst otherthings) so instead of suddenly going up from 1.55 to say 1.85volts it'll be more like 1.55 to 1.65volts. Obviously if you subject your cpu to a constant barrage of 1.85volt spikes it won't thank you for it.

The amount of vdroop however does depend on how the board designer desides to impliment Intels guidelines on the matter, and some people feel it is a tad excessive on some boards. Also don't confuse vdroop with "vdrop" a term coined for the difference between the voltage you set in the bios and the actual voltage at idle

ya wanna know what vdroop is...its Intels way of puttin out crap gear and then having to make adjustments to compensate....INTEL cares about ONE thing $$$$$$$$$$$...they do not care about you, your' over clocking, or their customers. They have such a large market share....they don't need to care. Further they have not had one original thought since before the 286...they continually reverse engineer other companies products......steal their ideas, and due to their excess of money...convince consumers that they make better equipment and that they orginally designed it.

The only way to make INTEL start listening to YOU...is to stop buying their products...THEN they will hear you :/
    Last edited by ghot; 04-16-2008 at 03:43 AM.
    Coolermaster ATCS 840 case, ASUS M4N82 Deluxe nVidia 980a chipset, AMD 955 B.E., Prime95 Stable @ 3.7ghz, Corsair CM2X2048-8500C5D, EVGA GTX 580, WD VR 300Gb, WD Black 1TB, LG CD/DVD Burner, PC P&C 750W, Zalman CNPS 10X Extreme CPU Cooler.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghot View Post
    ya wanna know what vdroop is...its Intels way of puttin out crap gear and then having to make adjustments to compensate....INTEL cares about ONE thing $$$$$$$$$$$...they do not care about you, your' over clocking, or their customers. They have such a large market share....they don't need to care. Further they have not had one original thought since before the 286...they continually reverse engineer other companies products......steal their ideas, and due to their excess of money...convince consumers that they make better equipment and that they orginally designed it.

The only way to make INTEL start listening to YOU...is to stop buying their products...THEN they will hear you :/
    Um...did you even read the thread?

You do realize that it's not a design flaw within a processor, it's on the board right? They design a board to run their processors, because those are the boards the Intel sells. No more, no less. They generally let Asus/Gigabyte/DFI/MSI/etc take on the overclocking crowd, so how is it Intel's fault that these other boards are designed the way they are?

And like was said previously, it's a good thing to have for the average person.

I am Xtreme
    the problem for me with all of this is you dont see AMD system drooping like this.. so,, why has intel adopted such a thing.
    the only amd systems that i saw droop as bad as intel were very cheap motherboards with poopy components.

aside from heat regulation ie; increased cpu cycles increases heat so lower the voltages to counter or help offset the heat.
    i see no true reason for it.

look at your other components around your house. atleast from my tests with a kill-a-watt device there isnt any droop.
    but i also am not testing internally i am testing at the source so it may indeed dropp internally but i doubt it.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Could it have something to do with heat... you know, for stock systems? letting voltage sag under none load would reduce heat? Maybe they did it to make there units run with less power consumption too. It is kinda strange that chip designers make these specs and just pass it on for the mobo makers to follow... But i guess it could be worse, we could all have intel mobo's to run intel cpus... eww...

Edit: maybe thats what voltage stepping is for thou... grr... maybe it works with voltage stepping?!
    Last edited by TheParadox2; 02-13-2009 at 01:16 AM.
    Smallbox:
    CPU: C2D 1.87Ghz Merom (mobile)
    Mem: 2Gb OCZ value
    Mobo: MSI 965GM Fuzzy ITX
    PSU: PicoPSU DC/DC 120watt
    DVD: Mata (completely garbage)
    HDD: WD 640
    Case: I dunno, but its small 4"x7.5"x11" (HxWxD)

Xtreme Member
    actually i don't know anyboard without vdrop, so it's intel and Amd's spec's too

SILVERSTONE TJ07 . ASUS RAMPAGE EXTREME . INTEL C2D E8600@ Q822A435 . 6GB CELLSHOCK PC3 15000 . EVGA GTX 285 . WD VELOCIRAPTOR 300HLFS . WD AAKS 640GB ''RAID0 . CORSAIR HX 1000W . X-Fi FATAL1TY TITANIUM . LOGITECH WAVE . G9 LASER . Z5500 . DELL ULTRASHARP 2047WFP
    Aquaero VFD . Enzotech revA . Laing DDC 12v . Black Ice GTS-Lite 360 . Swiftech Mcres Micro . 3/8"
    By MrHydes®

sales
    feedback Techzone

Xtreme Member
    There is boards that have almost zero drop=)
    And you have mobos thats drops like a bomb under load
    1.pc: Evga 4way, 980X, 3x5870, 3x2 1600mhz GT
    Storage: 3xOcz Vertex 1, Vertex 2 64gb and 2x150gb Raptor. -Updating-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12