Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus 680i, P5N32-E Sli Results.

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    great review, thx...

So to summarize, you like it more than 965/975x? How's performance clock for clock?

the Chipset is nF680i ?

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie
    great review, thx...

So to summarize, you like it more than 965/975x? How's performance clock for clock?
    charlie...

hmm, to summarize.

P5B Deluxe Pros:

550+ FSB easy.

Great board for Cas and Mhz overclocks.

Voltages are nice, and works great out of the box.

very user friendly, and uncomplicated, learning curve is very small.

high stability.

P5B Deluxe Cons:

poorly working 4:5 divider, which is a huge drawback as that would be the second most useful divider if it worked...

Zero, Nada, Zilch... Never Happens.... No chance... This Board has Zero Chance at recovering from a Failed Overclock. After a Failed OC, your only option to boot again, is to clear the CMOS... and that gets real old, real fast, if your testing out new hardware, and pushing the limits.

Needs Vcore and Vdroop mod badly if you want real stable OC's.

Not Many Dividers to work with.

Asus 680i Pros: (non Striker board)

Great Vdimm option.

All voltages except Vcore Overvolt, so you get alittle more voltage when you need it, which is better then undervolting as far as I am concerned.
    Great Memory Overclocking options and stability. Far Higher then the P5B Deluxe, and the P5WDH isnt even a comparison for this board when it comes to Memory Overclocks.

Certainly capable of 500+ FSB's.

Great Stability.

Great Ability to recover from a failed OC, about 90% of the time you can recover from a failed OC just by resetting and waiting a few seconds.
    sometimes you can recover by powering down and powering up.
    rarely you will still have to clear the CMOS though.

Cas Latencies all go as low as 1, so theres no limit on how much you can tweak your latency.

1T is very OC friendly on this board.

1200 mhz is very easy with this board.

Asus 680i Cons:

Horrible Vcore options. 1.6 max from bios gets you 1.47 volts tops. Needs a Vcore Mod Real badly.

Chipset voltages go all the way to 2.75 volts, but nothing above 1.6 volts will boot.

high learning curve will definatly get alot of people posting "my board cant do 500 FSB"... not cause the board can't, but cause they dont take the time to figure out the board. it's definatly a board for the advanced types.

runs VERY HOT. Fans are a must. chipset seriously burned me when I touched it. not just warm, painful burned me. This board absolutly needs better cooling, and I now see why theres all them heatpipes on the striker extreme, 100% absolutly needs better cooling for the NB and PWM's.

Very High Price...

so whats better?
    well, thats not real easy to say.
    like I said... it really depends on the overclocker.
    are you a ram tweaker?
    do you perfer real high FSB's?
    do you want a easy board with no learning curve, or a board with high potential, that has some learning curve?
    are you willing to sell a kidney for a board, hahah...

I have both boards... and I dont think I'd choose one over the other.
    they are both great for different uses.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    cool...

I think I'm going to buy the P5N32-E when it's back in stock @ ZZF for $300.

My logic is that I bought a P5W64 a while back so I've broken the expensive board barrier

Newegg also offers it at $300 but they charge shipping, too.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Kunaak,

could you please be so kind as to run dual orthos blend test at the highest mhz/multiplier you can, for a couple of hours or more (if you have time)?

Just wanna see what the highest fsb/mhz combo is under some hard pressure, the board is quite expensive so just a little more testing may inspire some more confidence (on my part anyway). If you don't have time, no worries man!

TIA,
    Raja

already did at 7 x 500 last night with no errors for about 9 hours, but that was just burn in time for me.
    but I will redo it tonight when I sleep.

I havent botherd to go for more FSB then 525 yet.
    I got so caught up in the Ram overclocking with this board, that 7 x 500 became my testing default.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme X.I.P.
    thx Kunnak, if it holds 500fsb in the blend test, that is indeed special..

regards
    Raja

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie
    cool...

I think I'm going to buy the P5N32-E when it's back in stock @ ZZF for $300.

My logic is that I bought a P5W64 a while back so I've broken the expensive board barrier

Newegg also offers it at $300 but they charge shipping, too.

The MSRP on this board is $249, designed to sell in the $230 range to compete with the reference boards and the Striker MSRP is now at $329 and was packaged to be right above $300 or so.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by raju
    thx Kunnak, if it holds 500fsb in the blend test, that is indeed special..

regards
    Raja
    Raja,

I called and checked in on our sample (retail) and it has passed 26 hours at 7x514.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak
    I have both boards... and I dont think I'd choose one over the other.
    they are both great for different uses.
    So which would you lean toward for raw 24/7 overclock performance (in apps, games, etc.)?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo13
    Raja,

I called and checked in on our sample (retail) and it has passed 26 hours at 7x514.

niiice 514 in blend test for 26 hours, sheesh...

I wanna test that beast with phase, on an e6600, the vcore droop is a little disconcerting though...

It's a toss up betwen this and the striker....
    Until the dfi's touch down that is..

regards
    Raja

Quote Originally Posted by raju
    niiice 514 in blend test for 26 hours, sheesh...

I wanna test that beast with phase, on an e6600, the vcore droop is a little disconcerting though...

It's a toss up betwen this and the striker....
    Until the dfi's touch down that is..

regards
    Raja
    while this isnt 26 hours, this is all night while I slept.

Speeds 6 x 500 for 3 ghz (stock cooling isnt effective at 3.5 ghz for dual prime all night, temps hit 80C)
    ram speeds...... 1200 mhz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pass prime.jpg 
Views:	5161 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	52988  

Xtreme X.I.P.
    THX Kunaak, I just ordered the striker extreme, I'm hoping for around 450-470on my e6600 on the 9x multi using phase..

regards
    raja

Those 680i seems like the real deal atm... But WAAY too expensive, I'll stick to my $130 AB9 for now

Xtreme Addict
    Any vdroop/volt mods for this board yet? I was just messing with penciling in vdroop on my P5W before I killed it with condensation.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak
    P5B Deluxe Cons:

poorly working 4:5 divider, which is a huge drawback as that would be the second most useful divider if it worked...

Zero, Nada, Zilch... Never Happens.... No chance... This Board has Zero Chance at recovering from a Failed Overclock. After a Failed OC, your only option to boot again, is to clear the CMOS... and that gets real old, real fast, if your testing out new hardware, and pushing the limits.
    Maybe that's the case with your P5B. Mine runs fine @ 430mmhz with 4/5 divider (mem @1075mhz). However there are quite a few reports about 4/5 divider probs so maybe something's wrong there.
    On the other hand i never had to clear cmos in P5B. In fact i don't remeber how long have i had to clear cmos in an asus board. Just unplug power cord, hit power button, plug it again and hit it. The worst scenario is if u have to do it twice. But never clear cmos. Moreover there arn't any reports about this prob, so i belive that your P5B was a little erratic.
    Lastly u forgot to mention the biggest P5B bug. The 1x pci-e issue.
    Project ZEUS II

Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 D0 3930A @ 4.50GHz (21 X 214mhz)
    3 x 2GB G.Skill Trident 1600 @ 1716MHz (6-8-6-20-1N)
    2 x Asus HD 6870 CrossFire @ 1000/1100MHz
    OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | Intel X25-M 120GB | WD Velociraptor 150GB | Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 1.5TB esata
    Asus Xonar DX | Logitech Z-5500 | LG W2600HP 26" S-IPS LCD

Watercooling setup:
    1st loop -> Radiator: 2 x ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.25 with Alphacool HF 38 top | CPU: Swiftech Apogee XT | Chipset: Swiftech MCW-NBMAX | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV
    2nd loop -> Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.2 with Alphacool HF 38 top | GPU: 2 x EK FC-6870 | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV

Assembled in Mountain Mods Ascension Trinity