Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Ghz!!!..........

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeguava
    Liquid tape is good - grease is fine too.
    Tried it yesterday, and the best side of it is that after benching you can just peel it off easily.
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    GSkill F2-8000CL DDR2-1000 2x2GB
    Abit IP35 Pro
    XFX NVidia GeForce 6800GT @ 435/1210Mhz
    2x WD Raptor 36GB RAID 0
    Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w
    Windows Vista Ultimate x64

Phenom™
    Well, I booted up with the naked cpu last night and there seems to be a few issues....First, my Win2k3 install refuses to work properly with this Opty. I've tried everything - including re-installing 4 times the last 2 days - and nothing seems to let the cpu run stable. I barely can complete any benches @ high speeds, however, I ran an 8m @ 13x270 and the result was 27+minutes I'll get the screenie posted later.
    The other issue has to do with temps. It seems as if removing the spreader did next to nothing in terms of improving temps on the cpu. In fact, the temps seem to be a little worse now that the spreader is off. I checked the mount after the bench session and it was absolutely perfect. What makes this even more odd is that my evap temps continued to remain below -70C loaded while the core temps reached as high as -18. I'm hoping there's not some sort of "clog" in my evap head. I'll talk to Chilly1 later and see if he may know what is wrong here.....
    Last edited by s7e9h3n; 02-10-2006 at 06:00 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Man steve that really sucks... Have you tested the cpu with a reg. heatsink to make sure it didn't get hurt when poping the hood (doubtful but maybe..) I really wanna see this baby break some records!!!!!

Oh and for insulating the resistors under the IHS I use nail polish...works really well, and can take it of with remover and looks like new!

Good luck man lets us know!
    Heatware | Ebay:Crazymullen | If you are unsure what Fhqwhgads means You are REQUIRED to go HERE| Powered by Centon Ram

IMHO Waste is a computer going to a landfill having done actual computations less than 90% of it's life. 90% of the computers powered on right now are idle or powered off; what a waste! [/B]

Is it a coincidence that your wifes pc is called Uranus?

Xtreme Member
    Happened to me once, with a container and a venice 3200+. After removing the IHS temps went up from -35Âș to -26Âș... Mounted it again like three times, but always the same... Odd, really odd...
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Abit IP35 Pro
    2x WD Raptor 36GB RAID 0

Xtreme Member
    I havent tried my 154 in subzero cooling yet, but with my watercooling system (which holds my Venice 3000 @ 3Ghz 1.7v @ 38ÂșC full) the 154 gets pretty hot (around 51ÂșC full @ 1.55v).
    If you are saying that removing the IHS doesnt help at all, then I will rethink if I want to remove mine...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_RTKK
    I havent tried my 154 in subzero cooling yet, but with my watercooling system (which holds my Venice 3000 @ 3Ghz 1.7v @ 38ÂșC full) the 154 gets pretty hot (around 51ÂșC full @ 1.55v).
    If you are saying that removing the IHS doesnt help at all, then I will rethink if I want to remove mine...
    Hey Lord!
    Did you check the mounting? That's damn hot for water...
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Abit IP35 Pro
    2x WD Raptor 36GB RAID 0

Xtreme Member
    Yeah man, the mounting was perfect, I checked it twice or three times... but those 154 get pretty hot...
    My WCing setup is well designed and equilibrated (see my last post to see my vennie temps ) but this 154 gets hot like a demon...
    I thought that it could be because of a bad contact between IHS and core, but now I am reading stephenÂŽs experience with his 154, I am doubting about removing IHS or not...
    Next week we will get the 154 under DICE, so we will se if this heat helps to avoid cold bug out...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by s7e9h3n
    Well, I booted up with the naked cpu last night and there seems to be a few issues....First, my Win2k3 install refuses to work properly with this Opty. I've tried everything - including re-installing 4 times the last 2 days - and nothing seems to let the cpu run stable. I barely can complete any benches @ high speeds, however, I ran an 8m @ 13x270 and the result was 27+minutes I'll get the screenie posted later.
    The other issue has to do with temps. It seems as if removing the spreader did next to nothing in terms of improving temps on the cpu. In fact, the temps seem to be a little worse now that the spreader is off. I checked the mount after the bench session and it was absolutely perfect. What makes this even more odd is that my evap temps continued to remain below -70C loaded while the core temps reached as high as -18. I'm hoping there's not some sort of "clog" in my evap head. I'll talk to Chilly1 later and see if he may know what is wrong here.....
    Large System Cache on?

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    Large System Cache on?
    It was, but for some reason Disable Executive Paging was off and Second Level Data Cache was set to 0. Looks as if the registry on my 2003 install is totally borked. Send me a copy of yours

Phenom™
    UPDATE: I've got the cpu finally figured out!!! ATM, it's running 32m @ 3700, 1.61V.....idle @ -47, load @ -34........Stay tuned as I'll have some benches finished by tonight

Xtreme X.I.P.
    ATM, it's running 32m @ 3700, 1.61V.....idle @ -47, load @ -34........
    At last Don't even show up without 19:xx Good Luck, Steven

Xtreme Member
    UPDATE: I've got the cpu finally figured out!!! ATM, it's running 32m @ 3700, 1.61V.....idle @ -47, load @ -34........Stay tuned as I'll have some benches finished by tonight
    Nice to hear, but what was the problem then, always handy to know if someone encounters same problem in the future

My Rig:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
    2x512mb Micron PC3200 OEM D9DQW "Fatbody"
    Biostar TForce P965 Deluxe
    MSI/Medion GeForce 6700XL (Cheap )
    Chieftec 360W (in search for someting better)
    WD 160GB S-ATA

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by DaWaN
    Nice to hear, but what was the problem then, always handy to know if someone encounters same problem in the future
    I think it may have to do with the tremendous heatload the 154 creates. For one reason or another, the evap on my autocascade wasn't able to handle such a concentrated heatload from the core and as a result, it basically became "overloaded". The solution? I installed my trusty little cold-plate I normally use to RAISE temps on cold-bugged cpus:

Here's what was happening before installing the cold-plate (this must be some kinda record):

And this is what happend afterwards (No tweaks at all, just a couple of RAM timing changes):

Sorry Michal - I'm workin on the 19:xx as we speak

Spi32m, 14x264, 1.61Vcore

Spi8m, 14x268, 1.61Vcore

Spi1m, 14x270, 1.61Vcore

MUCH, MUCH MORE TO COME ......

Hiding from the cops and people I ripped off
    Finally! Very nice runs...

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Very Nice results s7e9h3n. I guess this is with your team group PC 4000?? Does the 154 has stock unlocked multipliers? Was that 32mb ran 1:1?
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Addict
    No unlocked multiplier on the 154- It's not an FX after all. Hope to see more spi
    Heatware: 50-0-0
    Quote Originally Posted by Charile
    I believe that GWB, who may NOT be the best overclocking CPU in the tray...
    Quote Originally Posted by -thc-(cZ) View Post
    oh c'mon, maxxx, kick that cat of that monitor and have it poop for you

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by PoL
    Happened to me once, with a container and a venice 3200+. After removing the IHS temps went up from -35Âș to -26Âș... Mounted it again like three times, but always the same... Odd, really odd...
    Under the plating the IHS is a solid copper slug. I'm guessing, but what I think would happen in a sub-zero situation with the IHS on is that you'd have a cold-sink sitting next to the core, so when the core heats up you're able to transfer the heat into the IHS and warm it - this would draw heat out of the core very quickly, I think. Once the IHS is off you no longer are drawing heat into the copper slug but rather into the evap head. Now, I'm not a phase guy but I'm going to guess that the phase head might not be able to sink heat as quickly as the copper IHS.

I used to run a tec to cool my celeron 333a (550mhz for the win) and I had much better luck (and core temps) using a block of aluminum between the core and the TEC than I did just using the TEC directly on the core.

edit: are people seeing better temps on phase with the IHS on, or off? or is it a mixed result?
    Last edited by halo112358; 02-10-2006 at 07:15 PM.

Turkey Man
    I had the same thing happen to my 146 steve, IHS off and temps are same if not slightly worse on water.
    Cant compare with DICE though as i dont use it as cold as possible due to bug at -25C.
    I havent attempted to solve this issue, but a thin copper plate might be the answer.

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M
    I had the same thing happen to my 146 steve, IHS off and temps are same if not slightly worse on water.
    Cant compare with DICE though as i dont use it as cold as possible due to bug at -25C.
    I havent attempted to solve this issue, but a thin copper plate might be the answer.
    A thin copper plate may help in the sense that it will help keep load temps down, but the flipside to this is that it also takes much more capacity from the cooler in order to displace the amount of heat generated from the cpu and the copper itself.....

XIP
    Nice one you got there Steve ..Its a gem

154 is a hot chip...Heres with single stage load @.......

My ss cried....evap went positive
    Last edited by Dumo; 02-10-2006 at 08:13 PM.

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumo
    Nice one you got there Steve ..Its a gem

154 is a hot chip...Heres with single stage load @.......

My ss cried....evap went positive
    Positive Evap???? Holy $hit How's this for -65C Evap LOADED ?:

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    Those Opties are geting better and better when time passes......

Good job s7e9h3n.....
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

Hiding from the cops and people I ripped off
    Quote Originally Posted by hipro5

Good job s7e9h3n.....
    I know everytime I see a new Opty they are getting better but this one is waaaaay better. They are also getting hotter and hotter...

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by hipro5

Good job s7e9h3n.....
    Thanks....but this cpu can only dream of the spi times your 4Ghz Dothan can do Now please show me a mod to give me the x15 multi since I'm hitting a brick wall @ 14x270

BTW, this cpu is FAR from a new stepping. In fact, it's a sample from an earlier stepping which it shared with the CABCE FX57's. Sadly, the newer steppings can't touch these results due to the cold-bug.....

Xtreme Addict
    Im convinced, the hotter the chip the less chance of it having cold bug. As long as you have the cooling in place to handle the heat load (which you have) these chips can keep going and going, well ofcourse not to affinity, hehehee

Thanks for sharing the information on how you solved this, UTKightmare has been having similar issues with the 0530APMW i sold him, it gets alot better temps with the IHS on then with off and it is also a hot chip. Im hoping he can get some ncie cooling sorted soon and with the info u shared hopefully there will be some more competition.

Seasonic Prime TX-850 Platinum | MSI X570 MEG Unify | Ryzen 5 5800X 2048SUS, TechN AM4 1/2" ID
    32GB Viper Steel 4400, EK Monarch @3733/1866, 1.64v - 13-14-14-14-28-42-224-16-1T-56-0-0
    WD SN850 1TB | Zotac Twin Edge 3070 @2055/1905, Alphacool Eisblock
    2 x Aquacomputer D5 | Eisbecher Helix 250
    EK-CoolStream XE 360 | Thermochill PA120.3 | 6 x Arctic P12

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast