Long Live Socket 939

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. hugin72
    hugin72
    hi 939 lovers ive got a opty 185 runs great
  2. Darkstalker420
    Darkstalker420
    4400+ @2.6 (Kinda!) best hardware i've owned. A8n SLI Deluxe 2GB OCZ Platinum XTC 8800GTS 640. Got this rig as a cast off from my bro and it makes me smile as i see his new Phenom 9600GT SLI 4GB ReaperX rig NOT HANDING ME MY @SS (except in "benchmarks" but who REALLY care's)
  3. The0men
    The0men
    First board I ever overclock with HT Frequency instead of onboard switches/multiplyers. Before that it was all switches on a K6
  4. Bo_Fox
    Bo_Fox
    Yo, whatsup guys?

Personally, I have a hard time finding a motherboard that beats Abit's legendary Fatal1ty AN8-SLI with all of its features and accessories. The uGuru panel was the coolest thing ever. Now, I can only hope that there's something similar (panel) for Foxconn's new Bloodrage mobo that has a similar red theme.. long live Abit! It was fun running 2 7900GTX's in SLI with custom coolers (a Zalman CNPS6000 cpu cooler slapped onto one, and a Sytrin KuFormula VF1+ slapped onto the other one, with 2 awesome fans blowing down on top), that was finally replaced by an 8800GTX.

I've killed like 4 Opterons trying to undress them, making them naked. Perhaps it just killed their souls when their private parts were exposed.. Also had a couple of DFI Lanparty 939 mobos.. unlocking SLI is neat! RAID works great on NF4 chipset, which isnt plagued with problems like newer Nforce chipsets. Nvidia just needs to quit making chipsets, since they kept on getting worse after NF2 Ultra with Soundstorm.

Both of these motherboards have sound ports on a separate board from the motherboard, reducing the static noise that was noticeable on NF2 motherboards...

Opty 170 and 175 running @ 2.9 GHz (1.43v and 1.47v) on both mobos, at 45-50C max temp with custom fans on Big Typhoon and Thermalright XP-90c coolers. Before that, I had a unique home-made cooler that sucked the bejesus out of a pure copper skivved heatsink. These dual-core cpu's still run 98% of today's games just fine. The only games that start to show problems are: NFS Undercover (crappy game), only when shadows are enabled, requiring massive CPU resources, Crysis/Far Cry 2 (can still run at 30fps average, limited by CPU sometimes to 20fps minimum), and maybe 1-2 other games. 2.9GHz dual cores have proven to be rock-solid for 3 whopping years for nearly all of the games ever released in the meantime, which is damn impressive, and continues to impress. 2GB of fast DDR memory also continues to impress with extremely low latency timings, which has always been plenty for WinXP.

It was a pain going through nearly a dozen of different Opteron chips with good steppings in an effort to find one that could o/c to 3GHz. A couple of those that could, only made the chipsets/PWM's overheat to 70-80 degrees C and beyond, one time up to 90 degrees!! In a vain effort to reduce the voltage needed to feed that hungry chip sucking the bejesus out of the motherboard, I pried off the IHS, only to find out that I snapped off a capacitor on a couple of them, and bent the third one. Waste of $$$!!!

Anyways, yup it was AMD's biggest mistake by not making AM2 CPU's backwards compatible with 939 boards. Who wanted to upgrade to AM2 motherboards when there were Core2 motherboards readily available? If AMD at least continued making 939 CPU's alongside with AM2 CPU's (on 65nm process or with black edition 90nm versions that ran at 3.2GHz), AMD would have probably sold twice as many CPU's. A billion-dollar mistake, indeed..
  5. SeanB
    SeanB
    still using my trusty dfi nf4 lanparty and x2 3800. but been getting some post and blue bsod errors, most likely from the board itself. its old and ive done a lot of work on her, so im still in this group. love it. but sadly going to a Q6600 within the next month(s).
  6. makattack
    makattack
    Hi Guys,
    I've got a Abit AV8-30rd Eye. Still running the old girl. Has been my most reliable rig ever since building a phenom one. And for the life of me, I can't shut the girl down, give a honourary salute and put her in storage. Oh no. What with its equally trustworthy sapphire X800XT card. That only until recently couldn't run the bulk of newer games. There's my AMD Newcastle cored 3500 chip. What i love is the girl can run windows server 2008 and windows 7 easily. So still life in the old girl yet. well I think i'll use her until she flatlines. :-)
  7. ExodusC
    ExodusC
    I'm rockin' my ASRock Dual-SATA2 Socket 939 board with an AMD Athlon X2 4600+. I'm posting from this baby RIGHT NOW.
  8. ExodusC
    ExodusC
    I think I should mention my dedicated server is a socket 939 Opteron (I'm fairly sure- I don't think it's a socket 940).

Socket 939 lives on!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234