PDA

View Full Version : what is the best QUIET wc setup?

area51
05-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Hello,

Been playing with the idea of wc for some time now and have finally decided to go ahead and do it.

Basically I want to cool a 165 CCBBE 0610 and a X1900XTX. My case is a Cooler Master Praetorian so dont have tons of room to say the least and it needs to be damn quite.

So any thoughts? Consider me completely ignorant on the nuances of wc'ing:rolleyes:

MaxxxRacer
05-17-2006, 07:50 PM
First off start reading the guides. here are the links. read them in order

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54331

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41495

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75873

and if you want to know where to buy and where not to buy from check out this guide

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67179

area51
05-17-2006, 08:00 PM
yeah thanks for the stickes man...read them already.

Problem is that I do not know the answer to questions such as how much pump do I need with a given gpu block and cpu block etc...

If it helps I have been eyeballing the maze 4 and MP -05 LE...but I really have not idea which way to go on the radiator and pump. Quite is a very big deal to me but I also realize that putting two hot blocks in the loop increases the demand on the readiator and pump etc.

Looking for some suggestions along these lines.

creidiki
05-17-2006, 08:10 PM
*shrug*

get a DDC-Pro or DDC-Ultra from performance-pcs.. quietest "good" 12v pumps around. DDC-Pro is more than enough for 2 blocks... Ultra is probably the best 12v pump around but it is slightly more noisy. Just make sure you use the top barb as inlet, and the Pro will give as good performance as a 50Z or D5. They come with a tacho cable so you can set mobo emergency shutoff linking them up like a fan, which is nifty.

as far as rad, Thermochill PA if you have the cash, otherwise swiftech MCR-QP or CoolingWorks T-Series.

Triple if you have the space in your case, lets you undervolt the fans even more.

Then you buy 2-3x Yate Loon from J-Mag here on the forums @ 5$ each, hook them up to your rheobus of choice, good to go.

Slight OT, maxxx have you decided viz adding the DDCs to the guide? *IF* youre going to do it, now would be the time, as we now have 2 usa sites selling the plexi tops...

area51
05-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Cool...thanks I will go check that stuff out. What are the specs on those yate loons you are talking about? I tend to favor panaflos or more recently these scythe fluid bearing jobs I have been playing with...

creidiki
05-17-2006, 08:25 PM
scythe arer good fans.. but their stats lie.

YL D12SL-12 are rated for 45CFM @ 28dBA or similar. Performance and noise is basically identical to Scythe SFF21E, which are rated @ 20.1dBA... that tells you all you need to know pretty much. Trust the CFM ratings on Scythe fans, ignore the noise ratings. You can compare the 2 and see which you like the best (yates are cheap), but Yate Loon/Nexus are still considered the kings of silent fans.

im afraid you cant trust the stats of any but the big 3/4 manufacturers (YL< Delta, Sanyo, Panasonic), or SilenX IeXtreme Fluid-Bearing 74CFM 14dBA PoofterFans would be the greatest thing since sliced bread... they make more noise and push slightly less air then my yates.

area51
05-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Sounds like you may be right about the yates...same performance as the scythe but 1/3 the price is hard to argue with.

Question...are those Thermochill's worth double the price of say the Cooling Works? The money is no problem but I am curious regarding the difference in performance...is it really that much better?

Also anyone know how the maze 4's are stacking up against the cool technica mp-1? Can't seem to find any reliable comparison.

creidiki
05-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Well, if youve already got the scythes, i suggest you buy 1 yate and try them both side-by-side. there may be a difference in the sound frequency, and at that point which one is quieter is a subjective thing.

When youve reached the quietness level of scythes and yates, there's only so much you can do once youve made the engine and bearings silent... most of the noise apart from airflow - and there's precious little you can do about that - is from blade-tip cavitation, and with current build techniques what we have now is about as good as its going to get.

PA's difference in performance depends mostly on the heatload of your rig... if its not very loaded - say 2 blocks on triple rad - its hard to get a measurable difference. Most of the price difference is the build quality and exchange rate... thermochills are built in the UK, the rest are built in asia... HWLabs is philippines while CoolingWorks and Swiftech are china, I believe.

They are quieter though, because they have a lower fin-per-inch count... how much that matters to you, thats for you to decide. If you do choose a PA, get the cooltechnica barbs.

Maze 4/MP-1/MCW60/Cyclone Fusion are basically identical. MP-1 *might* perform 0.5-1c better, but then its also slightly more restrictive so in the end its same same, just get whatever you like best/saves you on shipping. Personally i suggest the MCW60 purely in virtue of the ramsinks it comes bundled with... but like I said, its mostly down to personal choice.

creidiki
05-17-2006, 09:03 PM
You should be able to get most of what you need over @ petra's (http://www.petrastechshop.com/).

area51
05-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Thanks man I appreciate your time! Browsing all my vendor options as we speak.