PDA

View Full Version : Chassis intruded - Fatal error - System halted

Thorry
05-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Hi guys... been chewing on this problem for 2 days now and I can't figure out the problem.

The mobo is an old (4 years old) Asus P4P800-VM (the micro-atx version of the P4P800 series).

I have on this beast a CT-479 with a nicely overclocked Dothan, it all ran passively for many months as my MCE.

Since a couple of days however the problem started, it just won't boot.

It says:
Chassis intruded
Fatal error
System halted

I've tried the chassis intrusion jumper in every way possible, even tried some other jumpers, measured the connection between pins, even shorted them out manually and crosswired it to fool it. But no succes.

The whole thing has been stripped down, I've tried various memory strips and configurations, 3 different CPUs (Dothan, Dothan Celly and Northwood). The mobo is on the table with an ESD safe piece of foam underneath. Tried two PSUs and measured the PSUs, they are fine.

Tried resetting the CMOS in 100 different ways (jumper and turn on, jumper and battery, jumper and battery and turn on, jumper battery cable etc etc.)
Even tried incorperating the reset button I found on some forum somewhere, somebody fixed it by resetting the cmos whilst holding the reset button, tried all of that as well. Tried letting the thing rest without anything on it for a day.

Out of desperation I tried the ALT-F2 trick (crashfree bios flash function) and flashed two different bios versions but no succes. Also tried hotflashing the bios in another Asus mobo, but still the error pops up.

Clearly there is something wrong (prolly in the hardware, some cap not unloading somewhere) I tried unloading all the caps in the area but no succes (it could be internal in some chip, or protected somehow). Since everything is still working (post is going absolutely fine, everything runs great up until there needs to be some booting) so I would like to save this mobo. A RMA is out of the question since the board is very old...

Has anybody got any suggestions or can anybody mod a bios for me so the chassis intrusion is deleted or at least doesn't hang the system?

I'm kinda desparate.... would be such a waste to replace this nice mobo.

Thanks....

snipper_cr
05-17-2006, 02:49 PM
I wish I could offer something but there is not a damn thing that I could recommend that you havent done already. In fact more things than I would normally recommend... Wow. Im impressed. Sorry that doesnt fix the problem but still!

phelan1777
05-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Maybe the board just simply died?

Rather unusual, rare I would say, but it is four years old, and in PC terms, that is ancient!

I mean if you tried that many parts, and still can't get a pulse, them it just may be curtains for the mobo.:smoke: :shrug: :(

VulgarHandle
05-17-2006, 02:58 PM
new mobo, new oc? :D

Thorry
05-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Well seems like a really really minor problem, could be just a single cap... would be a shame to waste such a good mobo. It was doing everything I wanted it to do and was fast as hell... a new one would be very costly since it's the only CT-479 compatible micro-atx mobo I know off...

phelan1777
05-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Well seems like a really really minor problem, could be just a single cap... would be a shame to waste such a good mobo. It was doing everything I wanted it to do and was fast as hell... a new one would be very costly since it's the only CT-479 compatible micro-atx mobo I know off...

you know anyone with the type of skills for bringing a board back to life?
if not, it would not be cheap, unless you can find someone here or another forum. That would be sweet. I guess it depens on how bad you want the board. Good luck with it.

Thorry
05-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Well I know somebody that has the skills... me..... but I'm not able to obviously...

I have no experience at hacking a bios (well not a Asus mobo bios which I'm told is rather difficult compared to hacking say GPU biosses), so if somebody is able to help me out with that?

I know the way these chassis things work, they have a switch you have to connect which when closed connects to ground unloading a cap, when the value is read it will be ground and thus 0. When the switch is opened it connects the cap to the power from the CMOS battery, the power from the cap loads into a memory circuit so when the cap is then unloaded the value remains 1.

The value actually does die down to 0 after a while but that takes something like 6 months to a year (depends on the power left in the battery and the type of mobo/circuit)...

I need to find the latch of the memory circuit and trip it into reading 0 again. There is prolly a easy way to do this, but I haven't found it.

The value is supposed to revert to 0 by the bios after displaying the error, but for some reason it's not. The most obvious reason would be the cap failing to unload, the second most obvious reason would be a memory circuit error, the third most obvious reason would be software error but since I've tried several bios versions this is unlikely...

VulgarHandle
05-17-2006, 03:34 PM
i had a similar issue w/ my old asus a7n8x dlx 2.0, and i just disabled the error finder in bios(all errors but keyboard, or something like that)

or maybe that was my nf7s 2.0, can't remember which one now that i think about it

Thorry
05-17-2006, 03:38 PM
Yeah that prolly would fix it (maybe?) but since I can't get into the bios that's kinda a problem....

Well forget it, what I thought was a cap actually turned out to be a resistor with infinite ohm resistance, I checked on a P4P800-SE and the same resistor was there... so that's not it...

I'm just going to keep on searching, but the order for a new mobo has already been made...

ibby
05-17-2006, 10:11 PM
are u using usb or ps2 keyboard?

Thorry
05-18-2006, 04:03 PM
PS2... the keyboard is working just fine, I can press buttons and it reacts (by saying stuff like Entering bios or boot menu selected or going to the crashfree flash interface).

However before entering the bios it gives the message chassis intruded fatal error system halted... and you guessed it it halts the system preventing me from going into the setup.

Alex-Ro
06-26-2007, 12:41 AM
Any news about this error and how can it be fixed?I need suggestions as if i have an Asus P5b-Deluxe and it does the same way this motherboard does.I've tried everything and still no result.

mdrouin
09-14-2007, 05:21 AM
It's been a while since anyone has posted so I'm sure the problem has been solved. If not... sounds like your MOBO battery is either dead or somehow the polarity has been reversed on the chassis pins. Before replacing the battery try this first:

Unplug the computer
Take the MOBO battery out
Remove the chassis jumper
Wait a few minutes
Replace the chassis jumper
Replace the MOBO battery
Plug the computer in

mahmomd
10-15-2008, 03:21 AM
whate do yo do

mahmomd
10-15-2008, 03:50 AM
Proplem asus chassis intruded fatal error system halted

Dear All,

After my last reboot the wks appears an error message.

CMOS Settings Wrong
Overclocking Failed! Please enter Setup to re-configure your system.
Chassis Intruded!
Fatal Error . . . System Halted.

I do not overclock my cpu.I reset the CMOS but none of the solutions worked.
I cannot get into my Bios.

Any solutions because i have an urgent work to do for my work.