PDA

View Full Version : Is this manufacturing reality?

epion2985
05-12-2006, 02:25 AM
I have been looking around for a 3gb/s sata hard drive to buy in a large quantaty for a file server. However I noticed something I havent before.

I was reading reviews on newegg, its not the ultimate in sophisticated views but they are a pretty good measure when in a large quantaty. I noticed every drive with hundreds of reviews, and I mean every single one, has many reviews saying the drive died after X amount of use, ussualy between a day and a few weeks. It seems every drive I look at, a large number of people have the drive fail on them.

Is that manufacturing reality? Are they supposed to fail so much. I have ony had one drive fail on me in my life time so this seems a bit disturbing. Now I dont know what to buy, I was going to see which drives seem to be doing very well reliability wise but it seems every single one is failing left and right.

Serra
05-12-2006, 09:36 AM
I think as far as the complaints go, it's good to take them with a grain of salt... after all, who posts feedback on an item that worked fine out of the box (which is the expectation)? They sell thousands of hard drives, and if even 1% of them come defective (and the rate is higher than that, around 5-10% from what I've seen selling them), then that's a lot of people that are going to complain about it. Add to that the number of people who don't understand how to initialize a hard drive or buy a SATA II drive for their IDE port on their motherboard and you've got yourself an overinflated number.

Still, if you want to help ensure that you get a better drive, I might recommend products from (in order):

0. Almost any SCSI drive
1. Seagate
1. Hitachi (yes, a two-way tie... dependant on exact drive)
3. Samsung
4. Western Digital (I will allow though that the Raptor alone deserves a higher general ranking than 4th)
5. Maxtor

Serra

Ominous Gamer
05-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Newegg sells thousands of drives, you only read a few hundred reviews.
People have no reason to waste their time posting at a place like Newegg when the drive works fine.

Enterprise drives with 5 year warranties are always my answer. After that price is my deciding factor.

epion2985
05-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I realize most people who have no problems dont write reviews lol.

Seagate have a really good name and I am leaning towards their products. I wish I could afford 15k SAS enterprise drives but when you are getting alot of them plus the controllers the price is a little scarry.

Looking specifically at 250-300gb drives, does anyone want to make a recomendaton?

By the way are we going to see any 10k 3gb/s sata drives or what?

amd4me
05-12-2006, 01:02 PM
And you would be more compelled to write a review about getting the drive and having it crap out on you then having it and it works great for ever after.

irev210
05-12-2006, 02:33 PM
I dunno if 400GB is a reach, but these are REALLY nice drives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144424

I own a few, very happy with the I/O performance... awesome for server enviroment. As far as reliability, i run them 24/7 and no issues, and overall people seem to be happy with them.

I agree though, newegg sells thousands of drives. I wouldnt pay much attention to the user reviews.

Earlier today I was reading about one guy who wanted to make sure his desktop memory was SLi ready lol.

Yeah, I realize most people who have no problems dont write reviews lol.

Seagate have a really good name and I am leaning towards their products. I wish I could afford 15k SAS enterprise drives but when you are getting alot of them plus the controllers the price is a little scarry.

Looking specifically at 250-300gb drives, does anyone want to make a recomendaton?

By the way are we going to see any 10k 3gb/s sata drives or what?

epion2985
05-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Is there anything good to hold out for as far as 3gb/s sata drives go, anything nice on the horison?

One_Hertz
05-13-2006, 07:41 AM
Is there anything good to hold out for as far as 3gb/s sata drives go, anything nice on the horison?

Dont think so

05-13-2006, 07:48 AM
Holographic storage, should be out this year:
http://www.pcstats.com/NewsView.cfm?NewsID=50318

[XC] Lead Head
05-13-2006, 08:21 AM
Holographic storage, should be out this year:
http://www.pcstats.com/NewsView.cfm?NewsID=50318

20 megabyte per sec transfer rate if far to low, and the drives will cost more then the computer put together

05-13-2006, 08:34 AM
Yeah, but thats just a prototype. The technology will progress as all do.