PDA

View Full Version : My Evo IX is starting to come along... :) Pics...

Andrew LB
05-11-2006, 07:50 PM
I've been gone for a while and have been busy with work and modding my car. No performance mods yet since i've been breaking in the engine, and now that i've got 4k miles on it, i'm going to be getting a full stage 1 upgrade soon which will put me at around 350whp or slightly more on better gas.

Current mods:

Audio:
Clarion pro audio deck
Sirius Radio
Hard Wired Ipod
Boston Acoustics SL60 Component speakers
Boston Acoustics Pro Series 12" Subs
SoundStream Reference 500s Amp
SoundStream Reference 1000s Amp
Sound deadening (doors, trunk, trunk lid, rear deck, foot wells)

Cosmetic:
Llumar 20% tint (100% metalized... the good sh*t)
S2000 Shorty antenna

Safety:
Sparco 4 point harnesses (for the track)
Valentine 1 Radar Detector (for evading cops)

Performance:
K&N short ram filter
VDO boost gauge

Coming soon: (on order)
Custom 3" turbo-back exhaust
Manual Boost Controller
Custom dyno tuning (goodbye warranty....)
Walbro Fuel Pump

http://www.kalionzes.net/evomods/Tint/_MG_8207.JPG

http://www.kalionzes.net/evomods/Tint/_MG_8205.JPG

http://www.kalionzes.net/evomods/Amp2.jpg

http://www.kalionzes.net/evomods/FatMatTrunk.jpg

http://www.kalionzes.net/evomods/Deck.jpg

http://www.kalionzes.net/evomods/BostonComponents.jpg

http://www.kalionzes.net/evomods/v1light.jpg

http://www.kalionzes.net/evomods/v1angle.jpg

http://www.kalionzes.net/webevo/images/13.jpg

BSill
05-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Looks amazing. Very clean both interior and exterior. Make sure you get us some videos ASAP!

Andrew LB
05-11-2006, 08:14 PM
^^^ This sunday I may be tracking the car for its first time (i've been many times in other cars) at the Streets of Willow, in Buttonwillow, CA. If i make it, i'll be mounting my friends video camera on one of the windows to record some laps. The event is booked but i'm at the top of the wait list.

MaxxxRacer
05-12-2006, 12:15 AM
I'd love to take my Civic out to the track.. I know its not exactly a track car, but it'd still be fun.

Car looks very nice. Love the rearco seats. harness' are the only way to go. personally I am more comfortable in a harness than a regular seat belt.

I didnt know you could mod the valentine into the gauge cluster. Looks very slick. The boost gauge is a bit silly though. Does it REALLY matter that u know how much boost you have with the stock turbo? If you have an aftermarket turbo (HKS FTW btw) and a turbo timmer, it makes sense, but otherwise its just gratuitous bling. (if you couldnt tell I dont like bling)

Good idea on the dynamat. I realy need to do that for my trunk as my sub rattles like a bastard.

How do you like sirius? XM came with my Civic and I hate it.. I have listened to FM more often and the FM has better sound quality. MP3 CD's for me. that and the CF card, which I need to get a nice 4-8gb version of.

Soulburner
05-12-2006, 01:03 AM
Nice, but don't let an officer see that detector there. If its detachable, ditch it quick if you ever get pulled over.

Andrew LB
05-12-2006, 08:23 AM
I'd love to take my Civic out to the track.. I know its not exactly a track car, but it'd still be fun.

You can bring a civic out there. You see just about everything on the track. Everything from civics to old MK2 GTI's to Evos to Ferraris. We don't discriminate on who can and cannot track their car.

[img]I didnt know you could mod the valentine into the gauge cluster. Looks very slick. The boost gauge is a bit silly though. Does it REALLY matter that u know how much boost you have with the stock turbo? If you have an aftermarket turbo (HKS FTW btw) and a turbo timmer, it makes sense, but otherwise its just gratuitous bling. (if you couldnt tell I dont like bling)
[/quote]

The boost gauge is very important when i get my Stage 1 done. You MUST know where your boost is because if something fails and you overboost... BOOM!! goodbye engine.
Right now I spike at 20psi and hold at 16-18psi. When i do a stage 1 upgrade, my boost will stay at 21psi all the way to redline with the stock turbo.
I don't plan on changing the turbo anytime soon. I was thinking about perhaps an upgrade to a G20-9 later on which is my same turbo with an upgraded different pitch hot and cold side turbines.

Good idea on the dynamat. I realy need to do that for my trunk as my sub rattles like a bastard.

Zero rattles now. :) I love it.

I did the fenders and side panels in the trunk since i took that photo. Its all covered now.

How do you like sirius? XM came with my Civic and I hate it.. I have listened to FM more often and the FM has better sound quality. MP3 CD's for me. that and the CF card, which I need to get a nice 4-8gb version of.

I really dig it. Almost all the stations i listen to are great. I especially dig Radio One from the UK. Great electronic music.

Nice, but don't let an officer see that detector there. If its detachable, ditch it quick if you ever get pulled over.

I've had my valentine one for 4 years now and have not been pulled over once since i got it. *knocks on wood*. Its also perfectly legal here in Kalifornia. I swear by how good this thing works.

[XC] leviathan18
05-12-2006, 08:31 AM
give us a pic with the harness nice car again i luv it

Andrew LB
05-12-2006, 09:15 AM
I don't have them installed right now. If i put them on for this weekend, i'll snap some shots.

MaxxxRacer
05-13-2006, 12:30 AM
how do u have the harness' hook up?

Holding 16-18 for a stock turbo with no mods on it is pretty good.

after you do the stage one you should put it on a dyno. interesting to see what kind of HP and torque its putting out.

JasonDTM
05-13-2006, 12:17 PM
Before you add power, focus on the essentials. ;) Could benefit from some stiffer springs and sway bars. I think AP racing makes a trick evo brake package, then you'd need atleast 8x18's with correct backspacing for the brakes..

MaxxxRacer
05-14-2006, 12:10 AM
no point on spending a ton of money on gigantic rotors that just hurt performance...

Soulburner
05-14-2006, 06:09 AM
no point on spending a ton of money on gigantic rotors that just hurt performance...
I agree...they look great, but now you have greater rotating mass and that does "not" reduce your stopping distance. Pad material, brake fluid and the caliper has more to do with that. The large rotors help on an Auto-X course, but how often do you plan on doing that?

MaxxxRacer
05-14-2006, 10:40 AM
I agree...they look great, but now you have greater rotating mass and that does "not" reduce your stopping distance. Pad material, brake fluid and the caliper has more to do with that. The large rotors help on an Auto-X course, but how often do you plan on doing that?

Exactly. Large rotors are for long distance, heavy braking situations (racing) where you need to make sure that the brakes wont overheat and start fading..

BUT there is a better alternative to bigger brakes... carbon ceramic rotors! (sorry, I couldnt resist)

And while yes, gigantic rotors and 8 piston calipers might make you slow down faster, the tradoff in money and handling performance is not worth it. And track times.. I would put my money on better handling attributing to better lap times more than bigger brakes.

[XC] leviathan18
05-14-2006, 06:36 PM
make the car lighter.... so you have less mass to stop

Magnj
05-14-2006, 07:03 PM
Looks real clean, but if your gonna get into performance stuff why did you stick a heavy audio system in there, thats just gonna slow ya down.

[XC] leviathan18
05-14-2006, 07:26 PM
he just need CF eveything in the car like the MR-FQ400 with the CF panels and top to make the car lighter and compensate the nice audio system... hey i luv to listen to music so i understand him...

Andrew LB
05-14-2006, 08:49 PM
how do u have the harness' hook up?

Holding 16-18 for a stock turbo with no mods on it is pretty good.

after you do the stage one you should put it on a dyno. interesting to see what kind of HP and torque its putting out.

The harnesses bolt into the seat brackets on each side for the lap belt portion and the shoulder straps go through the seat and bolt up to the rear seatbelt restraint bolts under the back seat.

I'll definitely have Dynographs of the car when i go Stage 1 because it will have to be tuned on a dyno to get the computer properly programmed.

Before you add power, focus on the essentials. Could benefit from some stiffer springs and sway bars. I think AP racing makes a trick evo brake package, then you'd need atleast 8x18's with correct backspacing for the brakes..

A rear sway bar would be nice but the car already has some oversteer but its quite controllable. The brakes are pretty darn good right now. While they're lower end Brembos, they stop on a dime and have zero fade from any abuse i've put them through thus far. Some tougher pads may be coming in the future for the track though as well as better brake fluid. The Evo IX has nice brake cooling ducts to help with fade.

make the car lighter.... so you have less mass to stop

Not much i can do to lighten the car other than a full turbo back exhaust which will take 25lbs or so off the car. The wheels are already 17lbs each so they're pretty nice.

Looks real clean, but if your gonna get into performance stuff why did you stick a heavy audio system in there, thats just gonna slow ya down.

The only thing that has any weight to it that really matters is the sub box. But i have that in the trunk in a way so that its easily removable with a quick disconnect plug i put on the speaker wire so i can pull it out for the track.

he just need CF eveything in the car like the MR-FQ400 with the CF panels and top to make the car lighter and compensate the nice audio system... hey i luv to listen to music so i understand him...

The FQ-400 doesn't use carbon fiber IIRC. I know its got aluminum fenders and hood like my car does, but it also has an aluminum roof to shed a few lbs.

The FQ-400 is quite a monster. There was a great episode of Top Gear where they put it up against a Lambo Murciallago. The Evo won. :)

Only downside to the FQ-400 is the big GT35r turbo. Its got pretty nasty lag until it spools up.... then its weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEE!!!!!! :toast:

MaxxxRacer
05-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Only downside to the FQ-400 is the big GT35r turbo. Its got pretty nasty lag until it spools up.... then its weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEE!!!!!! :toast:

Havnt heard of he FQ-400, but turbo lag is easily compensated for with a good driver and some sticky tires. I learned this after watching this video of a vintage porsche with a gigantic single turbo flying around the track like it had a Saturn5 rocket engine under its ass. Anywa, my point is, if your really good you can keep your enginer RPM's high enough so that the turbo never gets too low in the RPM's and thus you reduce turbo lag to an absolute minumum.

While I like to try to make a car as light as possible, having a good stereo is essential. considering its the one thing I always do in the car it would be silly not to have a good stereo. Although Im not much into subwoofers so I would avoid putting a 12 inch woofer with a custom box in the trunk of my car.

[XC] leviathan18
05-15-2006, 12:42 PM
well when they announced the MR FQ-400 they said the used a lot of CF to slim the car

[XC] leviathan18
05-15-2006, 01:15 PM
FQ-400 is Lancer Evolution VIII MR FQ-320 plus:

Custom built Garret GT Dual Ball bearing Turbocharger
Owen Developments custom manufactured cast Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold and Exhaust Elbow
Omega Forged Pistons
HKS Forged Con Rods
HKS 680cc Injectors
Zytec ITP116 High Pressure Fuel Pump
HKS 1.6mm Steel Head Gasket
Motec M800 OEM ECU
HKS Iridium Spark Plugs
Jan Speed High Flow Sports Cat
Alcon competition derived 240mm high clamp mode, heavy duty clutch complete with Cera-metallic 6 paddle sprung centred drive plate
HKS High Strength Head and Big End Bolts
Alcon Mono6 Brake Kit incorporating Monobloc 6 pot road caliper with 343mm curved vein Disc on a Aluminium mounting bell assembly with Ferodo DS2500 brake pads
Ralliart Aero Mirrors
Carbon Fibre Front Lip Spoiler
Carbon Fibre "Sharks Tooth" Rear Vortex Generator
PIAA High Performance Light and Wiper Upgrade
Gloss Black Team Dynamics Lightweight Alloy Wheels
Driver Training Course

guess i was wrong

MaxxxRacer
05-15-2006, 01:40 PM
I want the FQ-400.. just read the article that lev coppied those specs from... rediculously fast 4 door 4 cylinder car..

[XC] leviathan18
05-15-2006, 01:55 PM
the FQ400 is the fastest sedan out there 3.5 0-60mph acceleration under 10sec quater of mile and 4x4 goodness

bullet2urbrain
05-15-2006, 02:00 PM
what sound deadening is that exactly and what price did you pay for it?

i have a lil component set im building but its going to require some serious deadening in the doors and dynamat is overpriced to the extreme.

Nice Looking EVOIX. def. very sharp car.

MaxxxRacer
05-15-2006, 03:20 PM
IIRC its dynamat.

Planet
05-15-2006, 04:23 PM
Although Evos are nice cars. The one weak point on the car is really the clutch. Before you go upgrading it I would invest money into a good clutch. The stock ones have been known to not handle higher hp very well. Good luck with the Evo. :toast:

nfm
05-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Very nice Andrew :toast:

Coming soon: (on order)
Custom 3" turbo-back exhaust
Manual Boost Controller
Custom dyno tuning (goodbye warranty....)
Walbro Fuel Pump

Please don't forget about fuel injectors, as you increase power by 75hp you need a bigger fuel inhection (700cc should be good for 450hp at crank). Stock fuel pump should be ok.

As you said, I first would go with 3' or bigger exhaust (illegal ones are the best ;)) and work yourself inward, get 3' downpipe + upipe and headers. Then con-shaped cold air intake. This should help your car breathe.

Then I would get bigass turbo, upgrade intercooler (very important) to avoid hot air entering engine, lossing power and possibly damaging pistons when using lower octane fuel. Clutch & Flywheel should also be replaced.

After all of that you need a new ECU but I don't know how far you want to go. I would not recommend replacing cams so the engine could compress more air-fuel mixture, it will wear out your engine quickly.

heh, don't forget about suspension. the easiest mod part of car, coil-overs are sweet paired up with sway and strut bars.

Soulburner
05-16-2006, 01:00 AM
Camshafts are one of the best ways to make more power...why not do it? It's the item that controls all your valve events, its essential to your engine. You are leaving a lot of power on the table by ignoring it.

And can't you just reprogram/tune the computer? None of us LS1 guys buy new ones...we just tune with software...which is much better than buying a pre-programmed unit with a generic tune on it.

MaxxxRacer
05-16-2006, 01:17 AM
Camshafts are one of the best ways to make more power...why not do it? It's the item that controls all your valve events, its essential to your engine. You are leaving a lot of power on the table by ignoring it.

And can't you just reprogram/tune the computer? None of us LS1 guys buy new ones...we just tune with software...which is much better than buying a pre-programmed unit with a generic tune on it.

Soul, on alot of cars you cant just tune the stock ECU to what you want. I know that on Hondas they need to have the ECU replace to get full control over engine mangement. It kind of sucks as you are at the mercy of Hondata (one of the only companies that makes good ECU kits for Hondas) to make an ECU for your engine.

But I do agree that switching out the cams would deffinetly be a good way to gain power. But its possible that the engine is not being restricted by the valves even with a 3 inch exhaust and intake system. If thats the case then new cams wont help much except to tweak the timming sequence of when the valves open and close, which would be helpful if you needed to go higher RPM than normal (keep the valves from floating, etc).

[XC] leviathan18
05-16-2006, 07:17 AM
if you change the cams wont you loose the MIVEC (vtec or vvti) ability ?

as maxxx said most ecu are not programable you need a replace ecu or piggyback to change the settings....

JasonDTM
05-16-2006, 08:02 AM
^^^ No Vtec/vvti/MIVEC/VarioCAM all do the same duty.. it advances or retards cam timing at certain RPM ranges to make a more usable powerband. Most of which is controlled electronically via ECU.

Andrew LB
05-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Very nice Andrew :toast:

Please don't forget about fuel injectors, as you increase power by 75hp you need a bigger fuel inhection (700cc should be good for 450hp at crank). Stock fuel pump should be ok.

The Evo IX's injectors are just fine as long as i stay with a stock turbo. Upgrading them while using the stocker 16g-9 turbo is pretty much a waste of money according to some tuners i know.

As for fuel pumps, most tuners highly recommend putting a 255 Walbro pump in because if i'm running high boost or even slightly over stock levels (20.5psi peak) with a boost controller keeping the boost pegged there till redline, the stocker pump is known to lean out at very high rpm's. IMO, the pump is a $90 insurance policy to make sure i don't have any problems leaning out.

As you said, I first would go with 3' or bigger exhaust (illegal ones are the best ;)) and work yourself inward, get 3' downpipe + upipe and headers. Then con-shaped cold air intake. This should help your car breathe.

3" is plenty big for the stock turbo or even a slightly upgraded 20g-9. Larger than 3" exhausts on the Evo tend to have some fitment problems as well. Its hard to get them to not rub against the rear driveshaft.

Then I would get bigass turbo, upgrade intercooler (very important) to avoid hot air entering engine, lossing power and possibly damaging pistons when using lower octane fuel. Clutch & Flywheel should also be replaced.

I'm looking into intercooler upgrades. I need a nice bar & plate core instead of the crappy stock fin design. I'll replace the clutch when its smoked. But not with too stiff of one since its not worth the risk to the transfer case and tranny.

After all of that you need a new ECU but I don't know how far you want to go. I would not recommend replacing cams so the engine could compress more air-fuel mixture, it will wear out your engine quickly.

A new ECU is not necessary even with all the mods you listed. Only a dyno tuning custom flash.

heh, don't forget about suspension. the easiest mod part of car, coil-overs are sweet paired up with sway and strut bars.

I'll eventually get some Megan Racing coilovers and maybe a rear sway bar. The rear is already quite loose when you want it to be though.

if you change the cams wont you loose the MIVEC (vtec or vvti) ability ?

as maxxx said most ecu are not programable you need a replace ecu or piggyback to change the settings....

MIVEC can only be retained in the IX when changing cams by going with the new cams designed by companies like Works, JUN, Cosworth, Turbotrix, etc. I think there is only one set currently available, with the rest of these companies coming out with them soon. Some 272's would be nice.

Soulburner
05-16-2006, 12:44 PM
But I do agree that switching out the cams would deffinetly be a good way to gain power. But its possible that the engine is not being restricted by the valves even with a 3 inch exhaust and intake system. If thats the case then new cams wont help much except to tweak the timming sequence of when the valves open and close, which would be helpful if you needed to go higher RPM than normal (keep the valves from floating, etc).
Right, there is a lot more to a cam profile that lift and duration. Its the whole sequence of valve timing events that you can tune to make a ton more power, something that variable valve timing won't alter (only advance and retard).

MaxxxRacer
05-16-2006, 03:44 PM
now we just need a cam system that allows complete control over the firring and timming sequences. talk about a tunning nightmare.

Rippthrough
05-18-2006, 05:01 AM
^^^ No Vtec/vvti/MIVEC/VarioCAM all do the same duty.. it advances or retards cam timing at certain RPM ranges to make a more usable powerband. Most of which is controlled electronically via ECU.

VTEC doesn't. It switches between cam profiles so you can have a low duration cam at low rpm for tractability, and a high lift/duration profile at higher rpm.

MaxxxRacer
05-18-2006, 12:47 PM
VTEC doesn't. It switches between cam profiles so you can have a low duration cam at low rpm for tractability, and a high lift/duration profile at higher rpm.

I though that is what they all did :confused: (all of the VTEC coppies that is)

JasonDTM
05-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Porsche never copied VTEC... ;) They innovated in Variable Valve Timing.

Rippthrough
05-19-2006, 01:13 AM
I though that is what they all did :confused: (all of the VTEC coppies that is)

Nah, most of them just advance/retard the cam timing to smooth out the torque curve at low rpms.

MaxxxRacer
05-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Nah, most of them just advance/retard the cam timing to smooth out the torque curve at low rpms.

well thats a bunch of bull. Honda FTW. (I want 10 minutes in the now banned 1200HP 2 Litre Honda F1 car)

Porsche never copied VTEC... ;) They innovated in Variable Valve Timing.

I forgot about that. Porsche never makes a fuss about they're valve system so I had totaly forgotten the work they did way back when.

luf1c3r
06-08-2006, 02:38 AM
I like a lot to read you, they memorize things ;)