PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best Anti virus/spyware/etc. program I can use?

topaimz
05-10-2006, 12:49 PM
What is the best Anti virus/spyware/etc. program I can use???

I know something is up, because my hotmail account has been hijacked
(Can't get in, although the password is clearly correct)

Im afraid to use the comp, since my accounts for internet banking, ebay,
etc. would be leaked.

Which program should I use?

Norton? Mcafee? plz advise, thank you~

cirthix
05-10-2006, 01:00 PM
firefox ;)

topaimz
05-10-2006, 01:05 PM
lol, I use firefox

cirthix
05-10-2006, 07:06 PM
lol, I use firefox

i only use firefox+hardware firewall+lots of windows stuff is disabled.

no problems for a couple of years :)

kiwi
05-11-2006, 07:09 AM
Clean install, firewall (software or hardware), don't use IE or outlook!!!, and any more or less popular antivirus. And ofcourse never open those "Plz click for free p*rn exe, doc etc" files/attachments

Regular windows updates is a good idea too

DTU_XaVier
05-18-2006, 01:12 PM
My way of keeping the computer clean...
Every single piece of e-mail junk goes straight to the trash-bin, not even clicking it first... works for me...
As well as Trend-Micro Internet security (bundled with M/B, why not use it? :p:)

Best Regards :toast:

RPGWiZaRD
05-19-2006, 12:53 AM
Antivirus: ESET NOD32, very sufficient antivirus program that updates virus definitions very often automaticly in the background. It actively also checks modified/new files on the hd, of course monitors network traffic and checks incoming emails etc. This is the antivirus that uses less system resources than any other AV program I know, I even benchmark with it enabled as it doesn't impact on the scores at all and doesn't give any lower fps in games (unlike Norton Resourcehogger 2006). Just install/set and forget. :p

Spyware: Spybot Search & Destroy. Must give credits to this awesome freeware spyware program. It both finds most spywarez among the ones I've used and is simple.

Another good program is Ad-aware. It's faster but finds less spywarez, still can be a useful combo along with Spybot.

Zenjirou
05-19-2006, 08:52 PM
zone alarm security suite I use

HydroX
05-20-2006, 06:07 AM
I agree with RPGwizard, NOD32 is a great antivirus, and doesn't eat so much memory in windows. I also use Kerio Personal Firewall and manually assign port for each program

nn_step
05-20-2006, 06:17 AM
I vote a mix of Kerio Firewall, AVG, ClamAV, Nod32, and the Anti-spyware of your choice.

Hassan
05-21-2006, 10:39 PM
ewido, avg, or panda for viruses and spybot, ad-aware, and hijack this for other malware. This is what I use to clean paying customer rigs, myself ,I agree with above, disable un-needded services, use firefox, hijack this, spybot (with tea-timer), and a hardware firewall. I too have been clear for years.

Richie P
06-08-2006, 03:50 AM
Firefox, Nod32, Spybot and hardware firewall here. Kept me clean for years.

Recommend Syagte if you need a software firewall tho. And if the s*** hits the fan, then HijackThis is good, but i think Sysinternals Process Explorer is better. Like an extended task manager with real time tracking of what's and what started it running, and a plethora of details about each process.

zillaoc
06-08-2006, 05:06 AM
Norton corp edition ver 7.6 >>> later versions use alot of ram...
Adaware
Spybot search and destroy

for firewalls the free version of zone alarm is good as well as sygate...
i would run a hardware firewall as well if possible...

i would disconnect your putter from the internet after you get those programs and do a full scan with each... make sure thier all updated as well...

It dosent really seem like the info was attained from your computer though...
possibly was taken from your email or a site...

Either way we have 25 to 40 computers come thru our shop a week and
those programs work wonders...

Shpoon
06-08-2006, 12:01 PM
My "Safety System":

Firefox
AVG Free Antivirus
Zone Alarm (free)
Spybot Search & Destroy
AdAwareSE
SpyBlaster
CCleaner

And sometimes some other spyware things.

Richie P
06-09-2006, 04:10 AM
Firefox
Nod32
Router firewall
Spybot Search & Destroy

:D

Ominous Gamer
06-09-2006, 04:23 AM
I use a one-two punch

1) Don't be an idiot
2) Trend micro's free online housecall.

I hate having stuff running the background, I don't care what people say, if you have an active virus protection, it is eating up resources.

EneergE
06-26-2006, 04:56 AM
Firefox, NOD32 or AVG Free, SpyBot, AdAware SE

bizkit35461
06-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Firefox, Norton Systemworks Premier 2006 (need to find an alternative....it adds a long time to the boot time.... :( ), Zone Alarm Pro, Adaware Professional SE, and of course, Hardware Firewall

sofarfrome
07-02-2006, 12:03 PM
I use AVG free edition with ZoneAlarm free edition. I also use Spybot, adaware SE personal, and CCleaner for general maintenance. I do a "sweep" of my system once a week. Other than stileproject I do not visit any sites that have :banana::banana::banana::banana: content. My system is on-line 24/7. I update windows during my once per week sweep. For 3+ years I have had zero problems (knock on wood) and I use outlook and IE.

I work on friends' systems that seem to get "clogged" often. I set them up with the same "stuff" I use but their problem is they do not keep on top of updates and scans as often as they should. Which is cool because I always get dinner or other free goodies. Those that are not my friends I charge a nominal fee for doing something they should be able to do on their own.

The key is "maintainance".

lookmomnobrains
07-02-2006, 12:51 PM
for spyware Hitman pro.. Multiple spy ware programs to scan so to get rid the spyware so its more effective then just 1 spy ware program.. and its free...

for firewall and virus scan i use mcafee but that’s more of a personal opinion I think and also got a hardware firewall installed..

Delirious
07-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Bitdefender, only start the service when i need to do a scan, and a hardware firewall.

sinister1st
07-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Spysweeper: Nod 32: nortron 2003/06 or free- antivir. Dont use norton 02, 04, 05 = not good. Hardware firewall > software firewall.

end3rkid
07-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Forget about use this for this, and this one for this,

Just as simple use Kaspersky Internet Security (AV + Firewall) and have another awesomes features ;)

http://www.kaspersky.com/kis6?chapter=185166750

zicl
07-09-2006, 03:12 AM
I use NOD32 and Hardware Firewall, also find Spybot very useful.

Out of all the AV software i have used (Norton, Mcafee, Kaspersky) i find NOD to be the best, just my opinion, also firefox is a lot better than IE too!!

xenolith
07-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Firefox and a router firewall are very good.

But the best protection is your mouse. That's right, your mouse. By not clicking on :banana::banana::banana::banana: sites, warez sites, and P2P proggies. Use a second, cheap, e-machine running Linux for that stuff if you must. :D