PDA

View Full Version : Hey XS we got a Majestic 12 team !

UCmajewski
05-09-2006, 11:39 PM
http://www.majestic12.co.uk/

Pretty straight forward project that is much like DIMES or Red Library. Uses some to a lot of download BW, but not really any upload. From the past two days of running it on a windows system and now a linux system it hasnt affected my internet at all. You can read more about the project on the above link. It doesnt use processor power in the slightest and about 20 megs ram.

[cTx]Philosophy
05-10-2006, 01:19 AM
UMMM I think I joined :P

Once I get this figured out ill run it on the other pc's..
As of now Im giving it a whirl over here first :P

[XC]melymel
05-10-2006, 05:49 AM
I joined but for some reason it keeps closing after i leave it run for a few minutes any ideas why?? :shrug:

P.S. we're now 100th in DCVault stats :woot:

[XC]thewildblue
05-10-2006, 06:27 AM
How on earth do I join the team ?

[cTx]Philosophy
05-10-2006, 08:20 AM
go to teams thingie find xs
it sais put email and pw in
then join
then go free dc and put ur # in next to ur name
Im already #2
:)
just joined like about 6 hrs ago :)

UCmajewski
05-10-2006, 08:25 AM
How on earth do I join the team ?

I think you have to register first with them ....... I think this can be done with the windows client install click register. When you want to add a machine u dont register again just update settings in option. Then find XS and then click join this team. This is an unbelievable ammount of pain in suffering to make this work in linux. Its set up running and it still hasnt done anything on the stats.

bullet2urbrain
05-10-2006, 09:12 AM
How does it run alongside of DIMES???? any possibility of VM'ing it ?

UCmajewski
05-10-2006, 09:36 AM
I joined but for some reason it keeps closing after i leave it run for a few minutes any ideas why?? :shrug:

P.S. we're now 100th in DCVault stats :woot:

its doing it to me on Linux as well. I think im giving up on the linux install for this machine. I do everything the readme tells me and still doesnt work.

[XC] DragonOrta
05-10-2006, 09:42 AM
The only thing that I run directly on linux DC-wise is Rosetta. I couldn't get DIMES running in Linux, no matter what I tried, so I just settled for VMs.

[XC]thewildblue
05-10-2006, 10:15 AM
I have registered will try the teams now.

I dont think there is any need for VMs I think 1 client per connection.....its thirsty by the looks of things.

[XC]melymel
05-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Yeah a quick read around their website they say that 1 client is enough for anything upto a 4mb pipe. So simple maths should work out how many clients you need, Haltech would need about 8 :D.

It's taking a bit of a hit on my DIMES though unfortunately so i'm still considering whether to run it full time.

P.S. I just noticed they have a nice deatiled manual on optimum setup that i have only just found, anyone new too the project may find it helps. http://www.majestic12.co.uk/projects/dsearch/mj12node/manual/

:toast:

[XC]thewildblue
05-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Sorted on the team now.

UCmajewski
05-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Its not all that bad I guess wish I could get a few more machines on it, but this linux setup is hampering that. Still I think it would be nice to make a good showing in it just for arguments sake. I just set up a team to strengthen our strongest column MISC in the DC vault status.

Theres another DIMES like misc project called Moneybee wish has kinda confused me. Might see how that one goes as well. In actuality id like to resurrect this seventeen or bust team in the mathematics or look for other mathematics projects we can make a dent in.

[XC]melymel
05-10-2006, 11:42 AM
I've wanted too try seventeen or bust for a while now as i like the big points but i didn't fancy being the only one in the team. I tried moneybee too but I got confused, i didn't even know if they had a project after readfing their website :p:

BTW Update on DIMES and MAJ-12?

Majestic-12 must have a lower priority of Bandwidth than dimes as my downlaod for Maj-12 without DIMES running was 1900kb/s and with DIMES running 480kb/s however it does take a few 100 points from DIMES but it still runs nicely alongside.

Bloody_Sorcerer
05-10-2006, 02:02 PM
onboard with MJ12 :)

UCmajewski
05-10-2006, 05:26 PM
I've wanted too try seventeen or bust for a while now as i like the big points but i didn't fancy being the only one in the team. .

You arent the only one now .... we got a few more people. Mathematics is another sore area hopefully we can get a full fledge project in there as well.

Bloody_Sorcerer
05-10-2006, 05:30 PM
i have pie! a very small yellow slice! yum...

[XC]thewildblue
05-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Seems mine didnt go through fine so I will try again later when I get some time.

UCmajewski
05-11-2006, 08:36 AM
i have pie! a very small yellow slice! yum...

Everyone can have pie ... yeah!

gpcola
05-11-2006, 08:37 AM
I'm abroad right now (sunny Milton Keynes, UK) for 2 weeks, but when I get back to Rome I'll join in. How much bandwidth does this project use daily?

Rinsewand
05-11-2006, 09:36 AM
joined!

[XC]melymel
05-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Well done for joining people it hasn't taken us long to become one of the bigger producers in the dailies with only 4 members :D.

gpcola: Depending on what you pipe is as much or as little as you want. I found It uses anything free that isn't being used for internet, downloading, DIMES etc.

UCmajewski: If you want a quick XS DCvault boost you could make a SETI(boinc) team for a few days as getting into the top 1000 teams appears to get you around 9,000 Physical science points at DCvault as there are so many teams already participating in it.

P.S. Have set up an "Xtreme Systems" SETI team if anyone wants too help me out. Also i don't know how to get it recognized by DCVault.

UCmajewski
05-11-2006, 11:57 AM
Well done for joining people it hasn't taken us long to become one of the bigger producers in the dailies with only 4 members :D.

gpcola: Depending on what you pipe is as much or as little as you want. I found It uses anything free that isn't being used for internet, downloading, DIMES etc.

UCmajewski: If you want a quick XS DCvault boost you could make a SETI(boinc) team for a few days as getting into the top 1000 teams appears to get you around 9,000 Physical science points at DCvault as there are so many teams already participating in it.

P.S. Have set up an "Xtreme Systems" SETI team if anyone wants too help me out. Also i don't know how to get it recognized by DCVault.

I refuse to run SETI myself as I think it is pointless.... although if it helps it helps. A mathematics team might help us out more than another physical science. Seventeen or Bust team needs a little boost with only two active members. Not too hard to move up in it as well.

True the scoring looks that way all I know is that we are not number 94 either. Ideally id like to get a strong group of XS crunchers like 10 people that are around often and go project to project with 25 - 30 comps run each project for however it takes to get top 100. We'd blaze through that DC vault standing with enough power to challenege anyone.

Bloody_Sorcerer
05-11-2006, 12:05 PM
hum... was using a lot of CPU power (50%+) and a lot of ram (100+ megs). anyone else have the same issues?

UCmajewski
05-11-2006, 12:08 PM
hum... was using a lot of CPU power (50%+) and a lot of ram (100+ megs). anyone else have the same issues?

Majestic 12 ......... very odd. Mine uses no real CPU power and 28 megs ram. Rosetta on DC AMD for me uses a tremendous ammount of memory presently 300 megs almost.

On second thought we need to look at the list of physical science teams and determine which one we want to attack next. Seems a lot more teams slack in mathematics as well. More competitiveness in physical science which before QMC we werent at all. Since that project is going extraordinarily well we can look ahead. Tomorrow ill shift resources to QMC and expanding Rosetta as well. Im trying to calculate what machines I can bring to the table for a #1 daily.

[XC]thewildblue
05-11-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm abroad right now (sunny Milton Keynes, UK) for 2 weeks, but when I get back to Rome I'll join in. How much bandwidth does this project use daily?

Your about 30mins away from me at the moment then Im just outside Aylesbury !

We should meet for a beer.

Rinsewand
05-11-2006, 12:26 PM
didnt realise there was anyone else from the UK!

currently using 33mb and 2% cpu...

will put it on my other rig at uni when i go over, looks like its died as the dimes stats are 0's...

RwD

[XC]melymel
05-11-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm from UK too although a few miles from MK. All i remember of Milton Keynes was a lot of graffiti and getting threatened from the "keynes krew" :p:

UCmajewski: I'm onboard for being part of that team with all the power of my 3 rigs :rolleyes:, probably suit me as i get board doing the same project for a long stint (apart from DIMES). I'll just crunch one WU for SETi as i agree that it is a pointless project, then I will swap to SOB. I'll crunch the WU to get the XS name on the board. My stats sig is getting nicely fattened out now though. :D

[XC]thewildblue
05-11-2006, 12:45 PM
MK is a dump in my view, all the London overspill scumbags from the 60s as it was built as a new town. Really easy to get around though because of the grid system. Its rough as you like at night though in the clubs, I remember each time I had a night out there I would always see someone getting bottled on either the dance floor or the bar. Didnt bother me at the time as I was always really drunk......lol

gpcola
05-11-2006, 01:00 PM
MK is a dump in my view, all the London overspill scumbags from the 60s as it was built as a new town. Really easy to get around though because of the grid system. Its rough as you like at night though in the clubs, I remember each time I had a night out there I would always see someone getting bottled on either the dance floor or the bar. Didnt bother me at the time as I was always really drunk......lol
Hey, that's my ex-home-base you're talking about :slapass: C'mon, MK isn't that rough...(well most of it isn't anyway lol)

I'd be up for going for a :toast: ... as long as you're buying :lol:

UCmajewski
05-11-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm from UK too although a few miles from MK. All i remember of Milton Keynes was a lot of graffiti and getting threatened from the "keynes krew" :p:

UCmajewski: I'm onboard for being part of that team with all the power of my 3 rigs :rolleyes:, probably suit me as i get board doing the same project for a long stint (apart from DIMES). I'll just crunch one WU for SETi as i agree that it is a pointless project, then I will swap to SOB. I'll crunch the WU to get the XS name on the board. My stats sig is getting nicely fattened out now though. :D

Cool Cool Cool ..... if we can figure out another physical science project to get into that would be great as well. As far as mathematics goes this project http://www.rieselsieve.com/ seems like one to we can move up in as well. Any team would be a move up as far as the vault standings is concerned.

[cTx]Philosophy
05-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Ill go for one more project for my siggy, as long as we all can get on it and own pretty quickly..

Were flying up the charts on maj::P

I love rosetta and maj so far, dont wanna take on something that will hamper my performance in either of these though...

Pick something thats relatively little or no effect on either of these two apps and im down for it..

3 dual core 64 rigs here, pushing some decent cpu powaaaa

UCmajewski
05-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Ill go for one more project for my siggy, as long as we all can get on it and own pretty quickly..

Were flying up the charts on maj::P

I love rosetta and maj so far, dont wanna take on something that will hamper my performance in either of these though...

Pick something thats relatively little or no effect on either of these two apps and im down for it..

3 dual core 64 rigs here, pushing some decent cpu powaaaa

With any BOINC project you can attach more projects and throttle them to use less CPU power. I think we have ran out of majestic 12 / dimes / red library projects that use no cpu power. I installed moneybee and it uses signifcant resources.

Bloody_Sorcerer
05-11-2006, 03:00 PM
odd, MJ12 is back to using like zero CPU now (though 45 megs of ram still). *shrug*
i wish i had some more firepower to bring to the table... so many different cpu-intensive tasks i'd like to do, so few good for borging...

UCmajewski
05-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Well fellow majestic 12 team mates we will probably BBQ the Dutch Power Cows tomorrow ....... we did it in Rosetta ... we did it in QMC ... now hopefully we can get them in Majestic 12 tomorrow. Make that three BBQs in the past weeK!

Rinsewand
05-12-2006, 05:07 AM
added another client on my Uni pc...

eddieate
05-12-2006, 05:18 AM
hey UCmajewski how about uFluids@Home for the other physics team? the cows are at number 2 so it gives us a chance to roast them again and it looks like it would be fairly easy to fly up the ranks.
Ed.

[XC]melymel
05-12-2006, 06:13 AM
hey UCmajewski how about uFluids@Home for the other physics team? the cows are at number 2 so it gives us a chance to roast them again and it looks like it would be fairly easy to fly up the ranks.
Ed.

or Einstein@home. We wouldn't get high in the ranks but a quick run would score some easy points. UFluids might be more fun though as we would get some more recognition. I need more rigs now as each of mine is running a different project and they all have dimes and that Red library thing.

P.S. for SOB do you need a password to join XtremeSystems? as it keeps asking for one.

eddieate
05-12-2006, 06:17 AM
I need more rigs

Quoted for Truth:(

Bloody_Sorcerer
05-12-2006, 09:00 AM
P.S. for SOB do you need a password to join XtremeSystems? as it keeps asking for one.
Jose was having that issue; look around in the R@H forum and see if anyone figured it out.

yeah, we all need more rigs... or at least more ram. Speaking of RAM, i nabbed 15 sticks of what i think is 16-32 megs of PC66-PC133 today and 2 socket 370 celeries. anyone have any thoughts on uses for this stuff? :D
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47071&stc=1&d=1147453170

i wish i had more machines, or that more of these projects were easier to borg with. right now i've got 7+ rigs running F@H simply because it takes 30 seconds to borg with and they'll never know its there.

Rinsewand
05-12-2006, 09:06 AM
hmm uses: keyring?

Bloody_Sorcerer
05-12-2006, 09:48 AM
already got a ram-based keychain... :(

[cTx]Philosophy
05-12-2006, 10:49 AM
This is wierd to me..
I have this running on 3 of my pcs ATM
all have the same security software installed..
bit defender professional

Al running same settings, why is it my main rig keeps saying that trojan downloader has been found, I know its getting it from majestic but why wouldnt others of my pcs detect them as well?

UCmajewski
05-13-2006, 09:48 AM
We got the DPC yesterday, but they have ramped today. We are 31 st overall with the ninth highest production ...... with 3 or 4 more members would be up there in the production column.

[XC]melymel
05-13-2006, 09:59 AM
I think as long as the client is running you get 240,000 a day as my clients been running at "0" up and down for the last 2 hours and i still get credited with an exact 10,000 points an hour. So any extra members would make a noticeable difference.

Maybe someone could nicely ask Jeff too run this on weekends when he turns down DIMES? :D

Bloody_Sorcerer
05-13-2006, 11:49 AM
i love this project! I just totally blew by you mely, and i got the apple pie for today! w00t!

[XC]melymel
05-13-2006, 12:07 PM
I noticed that 91,000 + 30,000 updates :clap: I'm not so keen on it because bandwidth is the restriction and my 2mb just wont cut it. :D Although it is good incase vm's go down atleast i know the bandwidth aint going to waste.

gpcola
05-13-2006, 12:23 PM
I joined! Bit earlier than I thought I would, as I managed to talk someone through setting up remote access on my workstation.

Damn though...this thing is pwning my connection! Nearly 2gb downloaded in 3.5hrs :eek:

Bloody_Sorcerer
05-13-2006, 12:25 PM
19+ gigs since i started... :)
i knew this 4+ M down would be useful someday, even if the 384K up never will be!

Haltech
05-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Im going to chew this one up and spit it out.. Ive done 10,000 URLs in less than 15 mins... So, any particular settings we can tweak on this thing?

[XC]melymel
05-13-2006, 01:46 PM
As i posted before the basic guide over at the majestic site is pretty good for setting up just adapt the guide to your pipe's speed. Other than that i don't think there is anything else obvious to do :shrug: http://www.majestic12.co.uk/projects/dsearch/mj12node/manual/

Can't wait to see what your 30mb pipe could do to this project. :toast:

Bloody_Sorcerer
05-13-2006, 02:23 PM
broken link
working link: http://www.majestic12.co.uk/projects/dsearch/mj12node/manual/

Haltech
05-13-2006, 02:35 PM
How long does it take before i show up on the team stats?i click on my name and it wont give me my id number, gives me some bs error.

gpcola
05-13-2006, 02:41 PM
I think I showed up after about an hour so I doubt you'll have to wait too much longer...

You should own in this project haltech, it was made for you :up:

Bloody_Sorcerer
05-13-2006, 02:43 PM
unless, of course, PPPoE rapes it too.

that manual is very useful, albeit a bit dated. but hot damn, my production is definitely on the rise thanks to it ;)

Haltech
05-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Im using 120 works, 25 buckets to start. Very low errors. So far ive done over 130,000 url's in less than an hour.:fact:

Haltech
05-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Hey, how often is your guys project archiving and uploading?

Bloody_Sorcerer
05-13-2006, 03:12 PM
well done ;)
its definitely safe to up those numbers... i'm running 100 workers and 30 buckets now with <1% errors.
curious thing i've noticed: my upstream and downstream numbers are, in practice, far higher than my ISP says. downstream has been sitting at or well above 4 mbit (its supposed to only be 4 mbit) and upstream frequently goes past 500 kbit (supposed to only be 384 kbit). no complaints here for having a slack0r ISP ;)

mine is archiving almost constantly and uploading nearly as much.

Haltech
05-13-2006, 03:17 PM
100 with 4 megs huh? Looks like i gotta increase mine. Only lets me goto 200/50.. Looks like ill install a second one on another box.. Can i have multiple nodes with this on the same account?

*EDIT* Got the second node going.. Looks like i should be skyrocketing to the top here shortly :)

Haltech
05-13-2006, 03:32 PM
LOL...

Top users (Today)

# Nick URLs
done Data
(MB)
1 Bloody_Sorcerer 30,000 645
2 Haltech 30,000 614
3 LocalBusinessMen 10,000 210
4 melymel2789 10,000 210
5 mrslinky 10,000 132
Total 90,000 1,811

Pretty good for an hours worth eh?

Bloody_Sorcerer
05-13-2006, 04:33 PM
yup, but i really hope your production skyrockets to clear beyond me, though i do really enjoy my apple pie :)

Mr_Slinky
05-13-2006, 05:31 PM
one more to go and i am using a lot more bandwidth then i expected to. so i changed it from 512 dl to 128 and from 256 ul to 64 will this hurt my scores or not?

UCmajewski
05-13-2006, 05:39 PM
yup, but i really hope your production skyrockets to clear beyond me, though i do really enjoy my apple pie :)

Tell me what to do guys .... that manual is coming up not found for me when I click that link.

Bloody_Sorcerer
05-13-2006, 05:48 PM
what about the link in the post immediately under it (mine)? http://www.majestic12.co.uk/projects/dsearch/mj12node/manual/

[XC]melymel
05-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Yeah sorry didn't check the link when i posted it :slap: I'ts fixed now.

Haltech 130,000 updates are amazing 6th highest output today and you have dragged the team up to 5th highest output of the day. :clap:

Bloody_Sorcerer
05-14-2006, 05:18 AM
holy crap haltech, you're a beast... have fun in first! I'll just have to settle for stealing 2nd from LBM when they show up down here :)

Haltech
05-14-2006, 05:59 AM
I'm just getting started guys :)

Jose
06-14-2006, 01:55 PM
How has the issue with the M12 Administrators Gone?

[XC] moddolicous
06-14-2006, 03:41 PM
All fixed Jose. Thanks for your interest.

Movieman
06-14-2006, 03:45 PM
got a few up today before I needed the BW..Will do what I can to help..

hixie
06-28-2006, 08:45 PM
I got MJ-12 installed, but i'm getting a huge amount of errors. Only about 60% are successful, is this normal?

I had a look at the tweaking guide, and i think i need to add more workers (100+) and set my bandwidth usage even higher. Only using about 10% of my bandwidth for MJ-12 and dimes combined.

Bloody_Sorcerer
06-28-2006, 09:49 PM
i think that the latest MJ12 client is erroring exceedingly more than the old one, regardless of the number of workers, so i'd say if successful rates are decent enough (60% isnt bad) then overlook them. MJ12 got a lot more aggressive on timeouts which is probably the cause.

hixie
06-29-2006, 05:54 AM
Actually mine is still the old version, i havn't updated it yet.

hawkeyefan
06-29-2006, 02:05 PM
just joined up and started running this yesterday and am having some issues on an uncapped 3mbit DSL connection

basically no matter how many/few buckets and workers I allow, the success rate gradually goes down and doesn't stop until it hits zero

is it my garbage router? I've tried turning off persistent connection and turning Archiving CPU use to idle and Main crawl thread to High but nothing seems to help:confused:

InSanCen
07-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Just joined.. We'll see how it behaves on my DSL until I get DIMES up n running again.

[XC] gomeler
07-02-2006, 02:45 PM
freaking awesome, another XSTM member on MJ12. Welcome to the club!

InSanCen
07-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Hopefully I'll have my 8MB unlimited connection active soon... MJ12 will like that from what I've read :D

This is just until I get the DIMES rig going again though, want to build lead up in that, I have a feeling my friend is gonna try & catch me in that (Saw him checking my stat's today when he was at my place)... if he turns all his rigs on (Including VM's, must be nearly 200), I'm toast! If he does, you'll see it in the stats...

I think he may be transferring his poitns in F@H from his current team to XS too.. I showed him just how determined XS are,

Bloody_Sorcerer
07-02-2006, 05:51 PM
is he registered here yet? get him on MJ12! ;)

[XC] gomeler
07-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Holy wow! We need him :) Promise him all sorts of things like fame and fortune.

InSanCen
07-03-2006, 05:36 AM
He's registered on DIMES for XS, but then he set up his own business and has a demanding family, so no time etc...

He saw my stat's yesterday, and I think he got a little jealous... he doesn't like losing to me (We are in perpetual competition with each other in everything, Stat's, PC's, Bikes, wheelies, 1/4 miles... you name it).

If he can find the time, he'll be back, and things will get interesting:D

Fozzy
12-19-2006, 07:16 PM
how do I join this?

[XC]thewildblue
12-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Hey fozzy if you take a look in the dc vault section we have a mj12 section in there with everything you need to know.

Take a look at www.majestic12.co.uk as starting point.

[XC] ruane
02-06-2007, 02:50 PM
I have decided to start with MJ-12, as it uses little CPU time, and during the day, the Internet is pretty much idle. I have a 512k down/488k up Business line so I won't be able to do that much, but I hope that I can do as much as I can to help. I have joined the team, and according to the MJ-12 Node, I am getting speeds of 320k/s, which I am doubtful of, as my usual speeds are 60-70k/s. But the more the better, I'm not complaining :).

[XC] moddolicous
02-08-2007, 04:05 AM
Welcome to the team ruane!

Movieman
02-08-2007, 06:36 AM
great timing! We can use all the help we can get!:toast:

laragirl83
09-01-2007, 09:55 PM
I just found this topic!
Think I am going to join!
Now downloadig the node:)

hm i can see, it needs .NET framework as well?

Frisch
09-01-2007, 10:08 PM
I just found this topic!
Think I am going to join!
Now downloadig the node:)

hm i can see, it needs .NET framework as well?

It does. :)

Movieman
09-01-2007, 10:11 PM
It does. :)

Ok, when do we start being pimps?:rofl:

Frisch
09-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Ok, when do we start being pimps?:rofl:

Hopefully when finland wakes up...then it's time to slap some whores.....collect the money, and just worry about looking good.

http://www.enlighted.com/media/fuzzy/pdcoat/pimp3x600.jpg

;) :D

Movieman
09-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Where did you get my picture and how dare you put it on the net!:rofl:

freeloader
11-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Just joined up. Plugging away right now. :D

Movieman
11-26-2007, 07:49 PM

You'll know you have it set right when it takes 20 seconds to open a web page..:rofl:
Any questions, yell....and oh, make sure your on the xtremesystems team!:up:

Thanks for helping!:clap:

Frisch
11-27-2007, 12:19 AM

:welcome:

Mekoa
11-27-2007, 01:12 AM

Glad to have you with us :D

KWSN will go down! :up:

deepsilver
12-17-2007, 05:09 AM
I joined the XS-Team. :D

DeadlyFire
12-17-2007, 05:13 AM

Thanks a million!! :D

Frisch
12-17-2007, 08:17 AM

Thanks a million!! :D

Thanks a Billion :up: :D

deepsilver
12-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Sry guys, but I must stop it. :(
Ever time my connecting were reconnecting all time, with all possible settings.

Hope you don't kill me. ^^

Frisch
12-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Sry guys, but I must stop it. :(
Ever time my connecting were reconnecting all time, with all possible settings.

Hope you don't kill me. ^^

If ever anyone judged you when you're trying, you should just give them the finger.

I can't give anyone the finger, since my turtle fingers are too fat. I just snap them. :D

kodiak kid
01-30-2008, 10:23 PM
ok...I joined and will run 24/7 :D

hixie
01-30-2008, 11:36 PM

Welcome to the team :welcome:

Disclaimer...
We won't be responsible if your ISP complains about your bandwidth usage....mainly because we have our own to deal with. :p:

Mekoa
01-31-2008, 01:30 AM

Welcome to MJ12 and thanks! :D

DeadlyFire
01-31-2008, 06:58 AM

Saw you in the stats page and had to come in here and welcome you! Thanks for joining the effort! :up: :up: :up:

kodiak kid
01-31-2008, 10:57 AM
thanks guys! Anything to help out ;)

Mekoa
01-31-2008, 12:32 PM
thanks guys! Anything to help out ;)

Anything? I could use a couple of Q9450's ;)

kodiak kid
01-31-2008, 01:18 PM
all I have are QX9650s...sorry :D

Mekoa
01-31-2008, 02:43 PM

Free upgrade? Sweet!

[XC] riptide
01-31-2008, 04:11 PM

Kodiak... your Free-DC ststs sig is set up for Rechenkraft, not XtremeSystems. Just a heads up :up:

kodiak kid
01-31-2008, 04:24 PM
ummm...for which one? I am lost as far as this stuff goes as I just started like...2 days ago.

oh wait...I think I know what you mean...

skycrane
04-01-2008, 05:17 AM
this looks like another fun one to join, but i dont think ill be able to do it... i would hate to get FAP'ed by damn Huhges.net for my uplaod and download exceding thier limits :(

some of us live in the country, so no dsl, no cable, no wi-fi, no fiber... just your choice of dial-up or hughes.net

Mekoa
04-01-2008, 05:55 AM
this looks like another fun one to join, but i dont think ill be able to do it... i would hate to get FAP'ed by damn Huhges.net for my uplaod and download exceding thier limits :(

some of us live in the country, so no dsl, no cable, no wi-fi, no fiber... just your choice of dial-up or hughes.net

Yeah its not one for limited connection unfortunatly.

However, every little helps! :)

DeadlyFire
01-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Welcome and thanks for contributing Kincaid_PC_Bryan!! :) :up:

OldChap
05-01-2010, 03:33 AM
So, I have a spare 2Meg broadband connection...what else is required here?

[XC] riptide
05-01-2010, 05:13 AM
So, I have a spare 2Meg broadband connection...what else is required here?

Whats the CAP on it? Is it free to download as much as you want?

OldChap
05-01-2010, 09:17 AM
The limit is 2 gig on the unused one (which comes free with my tv package) but unlimited ("subject to reasonable use") on my main

DeadlyFire
05-01-2010, 11:40 PM
I would test crawl for a month and watch for any complaints from your ISP about the bandwidth usage. What ISP do you use?

OldChap
05-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Virginmedia for the unlimited and Sky for the other. The main has an acceptable use policy and throttles from around 4pm til midnight but they say they will advise if they consider any use unacceptable so after the big push I will give this a go.

What is optimal equipment for this?

[XC] moddolicous
05-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Oh man this brings back memories. Hmm, maybe I can start back up once I get home for the summer

DeadlyFire
05-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Virginmedia for the unlimited and Sky for the other. The main has an acceptable use policy and throttles from around 4pm til midnight but they say they will advise if they consider any use unacceptable so after the big push I will give this a go.

What is optimal equipment for this?

Anything will run MJ12, from single core to quad core; it uses around 50-150 megs ram. A little configuring on the node and you should be good to go. Any questions, ask :up:

moddolicous;4371406']Oh man this brings back memories. Hmm, maybe I can start back up once I get home for the summer

We'll be waiting for you :D

OldChap
05-24-2010, 04:53 AM
Ok so I downloaded and set it up as per the guide (a bit old, there are more options to consider now). On my daily rig to start off q6600 xp 4(3)meg and on my normal connection...
http://www.speedtest.net/result/824421947.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Knowing what you guys all worked out already.....any tweaks to offer?

DeadlyFire
05-24-2010, 05:29 AM
Ok so I downloaded and set it up as per the guide (a bit old, there are more options to consider now). On my daily rig to start off q6600 xp 4(3)meg and on my normal connection...
http://www.speedtest.net/result/824421947.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Knowing what you guys all worked out already.....any tweaks to offer?

50meg line?? :eek: That will definitely make a difference for XS!(eat your heart out MtM, I know you're lurking :D:p:) How many workers do you have set for each MJ12 node? I currently have 4 nodes with 215 workers and 200 buckets per node on a 50/20 line. Is this line unlimited in bandwidth usage? Majestic 12 eats up gigs like nobody's business(I go through a terabyte in less than 3 days not counting non-MJ12 usage :nuts:) Try a test run to make sure your router and whatever else doesn't run into any problems then further fine tuning can be done. Good luck and if you have any questions ask away! :up:

OldChap
05-24-2010, 05:36 AM
Hey...Total noob here ...You may need to do screenshots or more detailed hints.. :)

got this on my Vista rig (ss) I still live on XP so a hint on this too please

Running in the order of 10,000 an hour on the xp rig...what should I get???

DeadlyFire
05-24-2010, 05:54 AM
Hey...Total noob here ...You may need to do screenshots or more detailed hints.. :)

got this on my Vista rig (ss) I still live on XP so a hint on this too please

That error is from Vista having some problems writing to the location the Majestic 12 folder is in. Go into the Programs(x86) folder and find the Majestic 12 folder. Right-click cut and paste the whole folder into C:

http://i.imgur.com/4UEfp.png

After you do that you may have to make a new shortcut to your desktop for Majestic 12(open the Majestic 12 folder you just moved, right-click MJ12node.exe and Send to, and Desktop(create shortcut)

DeadlyFire
05-24-2010, 05:56 AM
10,000 is low for a 50mb line :eek: Go to the Tools button at the top menu then click Options, then take a screenshot of the Connection, Crawler, and Archiving tabs.

OldChap
05-24-2010, 06:22 AM
Qx on Vista is started ...Thanks for that

Now for the XP screenshots

DeadlyFire
05-24-2010, 06:48 AM
I've used your screenshots and edited them with red numbers for the changes:

In the Connection tab, did you mean to say 50Mbps for the Downstream box? (I'm going off of the info from the speedtest result (http://www.speedtest.net/result/824421947.png) you posted a couple posts above) The current setting is set at 5Mbps if I'm right which is probably really limiting your output. Try these new settings and see what results you get after an hour(don't forget to restart the majestic 12 node after applying those settings).

OldChap
05-24-2010, 07:16 AM
Both reset....will report back later. :up:

.... as usual to start with I don't understand a bunch of the settings/terminology but I will get there eventually

Deadly, You have behaved like one of the WCG guys in your willingness to assist. Many thanks for your help...It seems the community ethos has spread :yepp:

DeadlyFire
05-24-2010, 07:23 AM
Both reset....will report back later. :up:

.... as usual to start with I don't understand a bunch of the settings/terminology but I will get there eventually

Deadly, You have behaved like one of the WCG guys in your willingness to assist. Many thanks for your help...It seems the community ethos has spread :yepp:

We're a small group here in the XS MJ12 section but very close knit :toast: :) Dave and the rest helped me when I first started and I'm glad to be able to do the same :up:

OldChap
05-24-2010, 07:58 AM
Well hopefully these numbers will help... first is xp second is vista

incidentally I asked for UK only on the XP rig and any on the other

DeadlyFire
05-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Well hopefully these numbers will help

That's much better :) Now try increasing the number of workers in the Crawler tab under Tools>Options from 175 to 230. Is that screenshot from the Windows XP machine? If so, there is a tweak that can help. Windows XP has a default limit of 10 maximum TCP connection attempts it can make per second in order to slow down the spread of worms from infected machines over the internet. However, this also limits MJ12 to 10 connection attempts per second, but the limit is adjustable through a patch. This limit doesn't exist in Vista or Win 7.

Download it here: http://www.lvllord.de/download.php?url=en/EvID4226Patch223d-en.zip and then after it's saved to your computer, open it and run the EvID4226Patch.exe file(it may popup as a virus alert, but it is safe to run). After it opens, type the letter 'c' then type 5000, then letter 'y'. If everything goes perfectly it should say 'installation done' and should do a countdown and afterwards ask you to restart your computer.

OldChap
05-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Increased.... yep left ss is xp and I've dl'd and run that.

running again but it is teatime here...renowned for my connection slowing some till later in the evening....I'll have another look at this around this time tomorrow then maybe you can appraise the results so far.

It will be interesting to see if my ISP notices this as being outside of their "acceptable usage" limit that they have on their unlimited broadband

Again, thanks for all your help

DeadlyFire
05-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Increased.... yep left ss is xp and I've dl'd and run that.

running again but it is teatime here...renowned for my connection slowing some till later in the evening....I'll have another look at this around this time tomorrow then maybe you can appraise the results so far.

It will be interesting to see if my ISP notices this as being outside of their "acceptable usage" limit that they have on their unlimited broadband

Again, thanks for all your help

You're getting 300k+ URL's per hour which is damn good(which may rise a little more after the new settings) :D :up: Only other advice I can give to increase more points is to add more nodes. Otherwise your golden :up: Keep an eye on your emails or however you're ISP communicates with you and see what they say(if they do). If they complain you can either lower the settings in MJ12 or run it at only certain times of the day or night. Also, any errors in MJ12 or internet related problems let us know.

Thanks again for joining!! :toast:

OldChap
05-24-2010, 10:36 AM
One quick question... when This picks up on a site that gets flagged by AVG or multiple addresses of the same site as I have just now ... do I need to take any action?

Frisch
05-24-2010, 10:42 AM
One quick question... when This picks up on a site that gets flagged by AVG or multiple addresses of the same site as I have just now ... do I need to take any action?

No.

You are not in any way infected. Let AVG know it's ok.

OldChap
05-24-2010, 12:33 PM
That's good news.... so I've upped the ante and put it on a third rig (I just remembered I put a 250 gig drive in that one....the others are a bit small)....now to see how it effects our normal internet use :shrug:

I know I won't get half a mill an hour but I can try for over 10 mill a day :up:

DeadlyFire
05-24-2010, 01:39 PM
That's good news.... so I've upped the ante and put it on a third rig (I just remembered I put a 250 gig drive in that one....the others are a bit small)....now to see how it effects our normal internet use :shrug:

I know I won't get half a mill an hour but I can try for over 10 mill a day :up:

Like Frisch said disregard any virus alerts from MJ12, you're safe :) 10 mill is a great addition to the team :up::up:

Duh
05-24-2010, 08:21 PM
OldChap :

http://www.majestic12.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4043&start=0

OldChap
05-25-2010, 08:23 AM
Duh :up:. Now there's a name I didn't see in a while.

Checked before bed last night and found lots of connection errors on the third rig (x3350, 2gig, Vista) It crunches and folds too so I may have to look at the settings later. Its connected to a 10/100 hub too not a switch and should share with rig2 ... Time for some more learning :)

Movieman
05-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Talk about being out of the loop..
I check at the MJ12 site today,see the team in the #3 position,doa"That's better than normal"then openupthe team tab and see 5mil+ beside this "Old Chap"name..
Then I do a"Son of a Biatch"..
Didn't know the UK had fast lines..
Thanks for helping Old Chap!
Greatly appreciated!:clap:

OldChap
05-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Well I did say I'd take a look at this......and nothing from my ISP yet.....I'm thinking that my daily rig might get a rest for a couple of hours around this time of day so I may have to lower my sights a bit....quite a lot if rig 3 is mem limited

What time do the stats update on this? normal DC time? or do you guys use something different?

Movieman
05-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Well I did say I'd take a look at this......and nothing from my ISP yet.....I'm thinking that my daily rig might get a rest for a couple of hours around this time of day so I may have to lower my sights a bit....quite a lot if rig 3 is mem limited

What time do the stats update on this? normal DC time? or do you guys use something different?

yup,12:01am your time

OldChap
05-25-2010, 10:43 AM
So, a little update. Just one screenshot of the xp rig which ran the whole 24 hours. MJ12 stopped on the 1st Vista rig after about 1.5mill so I've rebooted that and am watching..will record what happens if it fails again. The 3rd rig is now running again, re-booted, but with one card less folding....just to observe the result when there are more resources available

Anyone want to comment on parts spec eg on hard drives that would improve this or am I wholly reliant on internet speeds? also...

Under Charts the mem tab shows nothing on the graph ...normal or not?

OldChap
05-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Not Good here :(

Xp machine just seemed to be MJ stopped showing connected and crawling but v.high conn errors. restarting MJ alone did not help ....needed a reboot ....the total was only just over 5 mill so only ran for about 8 hours since the ss above

Vista1 had re-started :shrug:

Vista2 similar to Xp but locked sooner

My feeling is that is is filling some buffer to its maximum and locking up

DeadlyFire
05-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Not Good here :(

Xp machine just seemed to be MJ stopped showing connected and crawling but v.high conn errors. restarting MJ alone did not help ....needed a reboot ....the total was only just over 5 mill so only ran for about 8 hours since the ss above

Vista1 had re-started :shrug:

Vista2 similar to Xp but locked sooner

My feeling is that is is filling some buffer to its maximum and locking up

See my post to your thread on the MJ12 forum. I had the same problem because my router simply couldn't handle it. The solution is to buy a better router(more expensive option) or to slowly lower the number of workers per node until the locking up stops happening. So for 3 machines, with 175 workers each, try lowering the amount of workers to 165 per node. Repeat the process by lowering the # of workers 5-10 per node at a time until the freezing stops happening.

Here's a reference:

Mr_Slinky
05-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Well I just up'ed my BW that this project is using hopefully I won't get a letter from Charter... the magic 8 balls says "It's decidedly so."

DeadlyFire and OldChap thank you for helping make this easy.

DeadlyFire
05-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Well I just up'ed my BW that this project is using hopefully I won't get a letter from Charter... the magic 8 balls says "It's decidedly so."

DeadlyFire and OldChap thank you for helping make this easy.

nice to hear! :D Keep on crawling :up:

OldChap
05-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Would someone like to explain how to reduce my DNS error rate? Is this some function of the network or connection? or is it a rig thing?

DeadlyFire
05-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Would someone like to explain how to reduce my DNS error rate? Is this some function of the network or connection? or is it a rig thing?

You can change the DNS server your computer uses instead of relying on the one your internet service provider offers you. I have Verizon as my ISP but I use Sprint DNS servers on my home network because they are consistently faster. There is a benchmark tool that allows you to test your computer on dozens of different DNS servers and see which DNS servers are fastest. Download link (http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm)

Follow these instructions here to change your DNS: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/15037-dns-addressing-how-change-windows-7-a.html (they should also work for WinXP) At the end where it says to put 2 IP addresses into the box, do not use the ones the instructions give you, but use the ones that were the fastest from the benchmark tool below(the SS is of my results so make sure to rely on your own test data). If your current DNS servers are as fast or faster than the other servers in the chart, then leave them as-is.

Frisch
05-29-2010, 06:09 PM
The load we are going through now is bad, and you shouldn't worry about the DNS, it's the same for all of us. Alex will have new ones soon, and you will see errors go down again. Most errors are general, and are related to the quality of the buckets.

Don't panic, it's ok. : )

OldChap
05-30-2010, 03:59 AM
Thanks guys

Deadly, My router connects through a cable modem so it reports a single IP and I know nothing about the modem (ISP supplied) .....I have work to do learning this methinks

[XC] moddolicous
06-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Haha, I forgot how much fun majestic12 is (I'll be making random appearances until I'm home in late June). Going over the last couple posts, I think I can chime in. Oldchap, your router is going to be the weakest link in your chain for a while. Back when I was a contributor, I had an IPCOP machine set up. It was basically an old Pentium 2 machine with 128mb of ram, and I set that up as the router, attached to a switch. 10mil a day from me was easy if I remember correctly (not sure). After your router, either the cpu or hard drive will be the limiting factor. I am not sure how an ssd would hold up to MJ12, cause of all the writing.

OldChap
06-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Ok then guys....I have some ddr2 and a 5050e so I need to buy a MB and PSU to build a router...the psu could be almost anything from a power point of view but the MB ...I've been thinking of a Gigabyte GA-MA770 UD3 (lots of pcie x1) thoughts anyone?

The final question is about NIC's...... any makes to watch for or avoid?

Incidentally, it is always the same rig that falls over ...usually with conn errors...tonight I will try it instead of my daily rig so still just running 2 rigs...I already stopped GPUGRID on it so here goes nothing

DeadlyFire
06-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Ok then guys....I have some ddr2 and a 5050e so I need to buy a MB and PSU to build a router...the psu could be almost anything from a power point of view but the MB ...I've been thinking of a Gigabyte GA-MA770 UD3 (lots of pcie x1) thoughts anyone?

The final question is about NIC's...... any makes to watch for or avoid?

Incidentally, it is always the same rig that falls over ...usually with conn errors...tonight I will try it instead of my daily rig so still just running 2 rigs...I already stopped GPUGRID on it so here goes nothing

funny you mention this because I'm currently building my own router right now :D any parts will do, for the NICs stick to Intel, they're the tried and true, and easily supported by linux firewall/routing software(pfSense, IPcop, smoothwall, etc). I'm planning on installing pfSense on my router because it has a lot of configure-ability and seems to be the most updated. The limiting factor in your router will probably be the memory, cpu then hard drive. Routing eats up a lot or ram(home routers usually don't have more than 64-128mb and MJ12 puts a beating on them).

With your own router you need two nic cards, one will be for incoming internet WAN connection from the wall to your router(nic #1), and the other will be outgoing from the router(nic #2) to either your switch, your old router(if you can put it in bridged/switch mode) or directly to a computer(if more than 1 computer needs internet, use either a switch, turn your old router into 'switch mode' or simply add more NIC cards to your router). I decided to add more NIC cards to my router so there is less overhead. Intel NIC cards are about $30 on newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2050400027%2050001157%201128109683&name=10%2f%20100%2f%201000Mbps), but you can get them much cheaper on ebay. I bought 5 of these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260469328652) from one seller and he gave me a bulk discount($8 per nic card). If you go for the multiple nic cards option, make sure your motherboard has enough PCI-E/PCI slots! If you decide to get a switch, you can find one for under $50 at newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=30&name=Switches&Order=REVIEWS)

Here's a diagram to visualize it:

http://i.imgur.com/TC8Lv.png

OldChap
06-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Mem = 2gig, 5050e = 2* 2.6gig, HD = 80gig 5400 sata (8M cache?) run on ubuntu? pfSense (what OS for this?)....this is my idea just now

Broadcom are the most common NIC's on ebayUK (at least cheaper ones anyway) Heard of them?

DeadlyFire
06-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Mem = 2gig, 5050e = 2* 2.6gig, HD = 80gig 5400 sata (8M cache?) run on ubuntu? pfSense (what OS for this?)....this is my idea just now

Broadcom are the most common NIC's on ebayUK (at least cheaper ones anyway) Heard of them?

Yup I've heard of them,as long as they work OK then it should be fine; I would post here which one you plan to buy to rule out any incompatibilities before buying. pfSense is based on FreeBSD so it is its own OS basically(no need to install an OS). That 2 gigs ram will definitely be very handy. HD and CPU are good to go as well.

Here's a list of FreeBSD compatible NICs http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.2R/hardware.html#ETHERNET

DeadlyFire
06-03-2010, 01:44 PM
moddolicous;4417874']Haha, I forgot how much fun majestic12 is (I'll be making random appearances until I'm home in late June).

Welcome back :):up:

[XC] moddolicous
06-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks. I can help a little bit with the machine issue. Your machine has PLENTY of overhead for a router (like I said, I used a pentium 2 and it handled he workload fine). I used the IPCOP distro, which worked awesome. The only reason I had to stop it was that I used a hard drive I found, and it was bad, so once the power went out, the OS install got corrupted, and it was no good anymore :( Towards the end of last summer I was going to put together a Pfsense machine, just cause I liked the idea of trying something new, and it also sounded much easier to set up a wireless ap from Pfsense rather than IPCOP. Things got in the way, and it never happened. That being said, I am going to try again once I get home.

Frisch
06-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Hello moddo............:welcome:

Moddo is the author of our guide. :up:

Are you back to get a majestic fix........:D

=[PULSAR]=
06-04-2010, 01:45 AM
Well looks like I have everything up and running, wish I had more bandwidth. I used to have 40Mbps and now the ISP scaled it back to roughly 15Mbps :( Either way up and running looks like I'll be getting roughly 450k daily...not bad :D How are some of you on upward of 1 million, multiple locations running?

DeadlyFire
06-04-2010, 04:18 AM
=;4418883']Well looks like I have everything up and running, wish I had more bandwidth. I used to have 40Mbps and now the ISP scaled it back to roughly 15Mbps :( Either way up and running looks like I'll be getting roughly 450k daily...not bad :D How are some of you on upward of 1 million, multiple locations running?

Nice :) Welcome :up::up:

[XC] moddolicous
06-04-2010, 05:37 AM
=;4418883']Well looks like I have everything up and running, wish I had more bandwidth. I used to have 40Mbps and now the ISP scaled it back to roughly 15Mbps :( Either way up and running looks like I'll be getting roughly 450k daily...not bad :D How are some of you on upward of 1 million, multiple locations running?
Welcome to the team! From a 15Mbps line, you should be able to get more than 450k daily. How many workers do you have it set for? If you take a screenshot of the connection, crawler and misc tabs, I can give you some recommendations as far as settings if you want.

=[PULSAR]=
06-04-2010, 09:49 AM
moddolicous;4419054']Welcome to the team! From a 15Mbps line, you should be able to get more than 450k daily. How many workers do you have it set for? If you take a screenshot of the connection, crawler and misc tabs, I can give you some recommendations as far as settings if you want.

Okay thanks I'll post some up in a little bit, I feel like I have a pretty strong connection I can download things at up to 3 Megabytes/seconds I'm having a tough time understanding it I should easily be in the millions.

=[PULSAR]=
06-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Okay here they are...

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3971/connectionk.jpg
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/7510/crawlerl.jpg
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7735/misck.jpg

[XC] moddolicous
06-04-2010, 10:03 AM
The only things I would really think about changing is maybe increase your upload speed. It wont really hurt anything, but it could help. I don't think the client will ever max out your upload speed, so even if you set it for something ridiculous, you should be fine. I also like to check the DO NOT USE PROXY FOR Uploading, even though it probably doesnt do anything. Crawler page?

OldChap
06-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Well... I dumped the Gigabyte ep45t ud3r rig as even at 100/30 it still locks up after a few hours. Now I have the Supermicro DP board running and it already went longer that the Giga ever did.

My main problem just now seems to be upload speed.... lots of very sloooow uploads are not helping .....this means I will be limited to around 8mill/day....still playing with crawler settings though :)

DeadlyFire
06-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Hey PULSAR here are some suggestions:

http://imgur.com/OWT8E.jpg

http://imgur.com/vfds0.jpg

In the upload speed field I wasn't sure what you have for your upload speed so I put 1Mbps. If your speed is lower it will use whatever you have up to 1Mbps; If your speed is higher than 1Mbps than increase it to that amount.

My main problem just now seems to be upload speed.... lots of very sloooow uploads are not helping .....this means I will be limited to around 8mill/day....still playing with crawler settings though :)

Can you try running a speedtest to check your upload speed? speedtest.net (http://www.speedtest.net/)

[XC] moddolicous
06-05-2010, 11:13 AM
I agree with Deadlyfire (I couldn't see your crawler page yesterday for some reason :shrug:) Definitely change the fixed upload chunk and increase it, unless you ran the upload benchmark and that came out best for you. You can lie about your upload speed to Majestic12. In my experience, it never reaches whatever I set, so even if I set it for 15Mbps upload, it will just upload as fast as my connection allows. You can also lower the Robots txt flush delay and URL flush delay to 0. Alexc said that this is a setting from the old days, but I feel like it can't hurt. Also, if you use this machine daily (or someone does), put everything on normal except upload (leave that on high always). If this is dedicated, then I would put everything on above normal, except upload (leave on high). Whenever I put certain functions on high, the program seems to hang for some reason :shrug:
Change your settings, restart the client, and report back in ~3hours and tell us how it is going :up:

=[PULSAR]=
06-05-2010, 11:22 AM
It's going much better already, I think the big thing I was missing was restarting the client. Didn't realize you had to, to have the changes take effect.

EDIT: After 10 mins I found my average is going to be roughly 6.2 million PPD. :D

OldChap
06-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Deadly,

http://www.speedtest.net/result/837779962.png (http://www.speedtest.net) while crawling

http://www.speedtest.net/result/830161452.png (http://www.speedtest.net) normal non crawling

The common report along the bottom of the crawling screen is "upload stopped due to a connectivity problem will try later" and in the log " 05/06/2010 21:30:03] Could not connect to server to start uploading, looks like it's down, will retry later." appears for many lines one after another.

Where can I see how many buckets are waiting to upload?

EDIT: Alex reminded me that I'm running this concurrent with WCG so there is bound to be some interaction

=[PULSAR]=
06-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Well I am pretty sure my ISP started questioning my bandwidth after a day of use. After changing some settings I was running at great speeds average of 16k kbits/seconds. After about 2 hours straight of watching it the bandwidth has stop to a dead crawl 200 kbits/second. Checked my internet bandwidth with multiple speed tests and getting 20k kbits/second. Ugh I think they are starting to block certain things.

DeadlyFire
06-05-2010, 06:03 PM
=;4420984']Well I am pretty sure my ISP started questioning my bandwidth after a day of use. After changing some settings I was running at great speeds average of 16k kbits/seconds. After about 2 hours straight of watching it the bandwidth has stop to a dead crawl 200 kbits/second. Checked my internet bandwidth with multiple speed tests and getting 20k kbits/second. Ugh I think they are starting to block certain things.

That is definitely possible :( Some ISPs hate bandwidth junkies and MJ12 eats up bandwidth like crazy. I would try to lower your settings so you can still crawl but remain under the radar(lower the amount of workers to 50-100 and watch the crawl rate and data usage in MJ12). It is also possible that your ISP has a set data limit(ex.20 gigs) and once you reach it they downgrade your speed until a certain condition is met(24 hour limit, usage drops, etc.) I'd call your ISP to see if you can find out this limit and how you can stay under it without angering the ISP gods :up:

Deadly,

The common report along the bottom of the crawling screen is "upload stopped due to a connectivity problem will try later" and in the log " 05/06/2010 21:30:03] Could not connect to server to start uploading, looks like it's down, will retry later." appears for many lines one after another.

Where can I see how many buckets are waiting to upload?

EDIT: Alex reminded me that I'm running this concurrent with WCG so there is bound to be some interaction

Your upload speed looks good so that can be most likely ruled out. I've already replied on Alex's forum but those upload errors you see happen some of the time. As long as they do not prevent you from uploading completely(i.e. if it causes you to have a huge backlog of uploads waiting to upload), then I would not worry about it.

Here's a visual on how a bucket upload backlog looks like:

NO BACKLOG:

http://imgur.com/2D9mp.png

BACKLOG:

http://imgur.com/jGUvy.png

The two numbers refer to the number of buckets that are waiting to be uploaded and what the size of the total buckets waiting to be uploaded is in megabytes. In the case above, there are in total 5 buckets, with a combined size of 10MB waiting to be uploaded. As long as the backlog isn't bigger than say, ~50-100MB then there's nothing to worry about. Looking at my log right now I can see about a dozen "upload timeout" messages.

=[PULSAR]=
06-05-2010, 09:06 PM
That is definitely possible :( Some ISPs hate bandwidth junkies and MJ12 eats up bandwidth like crazy. I would try to lower your settings so you can still crawl but remain under the radar(lower the amount of workers to 50-100 and watch the crawl rate and data usage in MJ12). It is also possible that your ISP has a set data limit(ex.20 gigs) and once you reach it they downgrade your speed until a certain condition is met(24 hour limit, usage drops, etc.) I'd call your ISP to see if you can find out this limit and how you can stay under it without angering the ISP gods :up:

Just looked it up and spoke to someone I am capped at 200GB download/upload a month. So far MJ12 has only used 34GB since yesterday? I can't imagine where the rest went. I only run WCG and GPUgrid, other than that I just surf. I don't torrent or anything. Hmmmm:confused: and then when ask if they could check where I stand on monthly usage they couldn't tell me.

OldChap
06-06-2010, 02:25 AM
from alex
Router gone down again in our office - ******* piece of ****.

Give me 2 hours to deal with it - needs to attend some urgent stuff first I am afraid

DeadlyFire
06-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Alex's router is unfortunately being hammered and keeps crashing :( It's probably because of the increase in downstream bandwidth capacity in the last few weeks and higher crawling rate as a project overall so it's not all doom and gloom. Hopefully he gets the router issue sorted out soon :)

Movieman
06-07-2010, 08:59 PM
I'll add to the grief.
I usually runMJ12 on mytwo Harpertown machines and Sammy.
One Harper sold, the other came down to night tobe cleaned and to get ready to sell soI'm at one machine pulling 15mbit vs 3 pulling 26-29mbit until I rearrange things here.

=[PULSAR]=
06-07-2010, 09:02 PM
I'll add to the grief.
One Harper sold, the other came down to night tobe cleaned and to get ready to sell soI'm at one machine pulling 15mbit vs 3 pulling 26-29mbit until I rearrange things here.

Oh so this is how we managed to afford the retail westmeres :p: What kind of broadband package do you have. I'm really upset about my capped 200GB a month :(

DeadlyFire
06-07-2010, 09:03 PM
I'll add to the grief.

Is the remaining machine's cpu completely consumed by WCG? You could try some VM's :hehe: If not no worries, moddolicious and OldChap are really giving me(and a few teams) some competition :D

Movieman
06-07-2010, 09:08 PM
=;4424160']Oh so this is how we managed to afford the retail westmeres :p: What kind of broadband package do you have. I'm really upset about my capped 200GB a month :(
Nope, a spur of the moment thing.. Time to sell them.

Is the remaining machine's cpu completely consumed by WCG? You could try some VM's :hehe: If not no worries, moddolicious and OldChap are really giving me(and a few teams) some competition :D

Remaining machine is a group of parts as I needed the case to fit my new beastie in..
You'll see..24 cores, real cores..:rofl: and green..
Pics tomorrow if I can get it done tonight..
4 cases before I found one it would fit into and line up on most of the standoffs..
This board with 2-12 core AMD Magny cours cpu's in a Lian Li G70 case.
Ok,back to work, talk later..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131643

DeadlyFire
06-07-2010, 09:43 PM
You'll see..24 cores, real cores..:rofl: and green..
Pics tomorrow if I can get it done tonight..
4 cases before I found one it would fit into and line up on most of the standoffs..
This board with 2-12 core AMD Magny cours cpu's in a Lian Li G70 case.
Ok,back to work, talk later..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131643

:shocked::D

[XC] moddolicous
06-08-2010, 10:06 AM
My contribution is going to be sporadic until I get home for the summer (June 28th). Once I get home, I'll set up a Pfsense router, figure out wireless on it, and then have a pretty good contribution daily.

OldChap
06-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Hey Moddo, I don't know what you can achieve when you get home but just now it ain't too shabby :up: ...trying to make sure I don't catch you huh? :)

I need to be building a router too...I can run two rigs ok but when I add a third I get connectivity problems with uploads even if I run @ 100/30...now this could be my poor upload speed but I prefer to think I can get more using pfsense

[XC] moddolicous
06-09-2010, 07:14 AM
Routers always struggle with the uploads, I can assure you of that. Also, did you max out the archiving settings? Word Size = 128 bytes and Dictionary size= 16mb? I find that helps. Having a stronger router also helps a lot. I dont remember how much I used to do daily, but if I remember correctly, I used to be close or in the Top10 daily. My output now is decent, but it is kind of sporadic at best.

OldChap
06-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Picked up a few nic's for the router project
2* Intel 8390MT 1000M Gigabit Desktop PCI Network Card
1* HP NC380T PCI Express Dual Port Multifunction Gigabit
1* HP NC360T PCIe DUAL PORT GIGABIT NETWORK CARD

The hp parts are Intel based so there should be no problem there but I maybe should have asked about mixing cards (or maybe more to the point multiple drivers). These give me 6 ports ....so wan + 5 one of which I want to put my wireless n on if possible

I feel a number of questions coming on when I build this one :)

[XC] moddolicous
06-14-2010, 07:05 AM
Oldchap, its awesome that you decided to make your own router. Did you decide on a distro yet? I can help you with IPCOP and possibly smoothwall, as I have a little experience with both. Pfsense, I will throw in my :2cents: but I may not be as much help.

OldChap
06-14-2010, 08:21 AM
No choice really, the one I have will just about run 2 rigs....add a third and "connectivity problems" on the uploads.....Now, this might be a function of the 50/1 but I can rule that out with this.

I've seen people talking about pfsense as best so I will give it a try.....just that on a rig because I have never run a VM and the total spend will likely be Ł150 so cheaper than a business router I think.

I have a Dell psu spare ...just have to be sure it is not different pinouts on any of the plugs. Haven't found the right MB yet though....might have to trial it on the max formula :)

[XC] moddolicous
06-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Hmmm, I never ran it through a vm, so that is up to you. Before I had a computer dedicated to it. If Pfsense is anything like IPCOP and smoothwall ,you will have (in the beginning) two interfaces: red and green. Red is the bad, unprotected Internet. You will plug a cable in directly from your router to the red interface. The green interface is the good, protected Internet. You will run a cable from here to your switch, and then on to your various computers. Now, the Wireless interface (blue) is the one that I wanted to read up more on. I think with pfsense, there are two things you could do. 1: Plug in another NIC card and run the cable from there to a wireless router or 2: Use a wireless card that directly plugs into the PCI slot. I always thought the second option would be much cooler, but I never had a chance to mess with it. Make a new thread with pictures when you are setting it up and I'm sure everyone will help as much as possible. Good luck

OldChap
09-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Well, that's it for me I think ....As of today I have 1 machine set up with 3vm's on which I will run this as the VM seems faster than the host???? Whatever crawl rate I get, I will stick with that and hopefully it will run error free. I have the PFSense router which apart from slowly using more and more ram (was at 3% a month ago now it is 17%) has been problem free.

Rumor has it that any time from late this year and rolling out over the next 12 months my ISP is going to increase the upload speed to around 10% of download. My guess is that I could possibly double my output when that happens.

So for now the WCG machines (which also fold GPU in winter) can have their cycles back and hopefully there will be no more babysitting on a daily basis so that I can get on and build something new (just something to keep my mind on for the next few weeks ;)...you all know why)

DeadlyFire
09-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Rumor has it that any time from late this year and rolling out over the next 12 months my ISP is going to increase the upload speed to around 10% of download. My guess is that I could possibly double my output when that happens.

Do you have any buckets-to-be-uploaded backlogs now? If not then it's a sign the uploading side of things is working well. A download speed increase would be more awesome :D

sidenote - is Alex's site offline? or is it just me? stats don't load for me :confused:

Movieman
09-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Do you have any buckets-to-be-uploaded backlogs now? If not then it's a sign the uploading side of things is working well. A download speed increase would be more awesome :D

sidenote - is Alex's site offline? or is it just me? stats don't load for me :confused:

Stats don't seem to be updating but app is working fine for me..
Also wanted to say congrats on the 4 billion!:clap:

Oldchap:
Do what your comfortable with.
Rather have you here long term that way than trying to max out your line and getting frustrated.
Slow and steady sort of thinking if you get my drift..;)

OldChap
09-04-2010, 02:43 AM
MM Sorry if you read it differently but that was what I was saying.....Whatever output this gives me now is, by my way of thinking, the max I can get with this connection, so, that is it....the best I can do.

Over the course of the next week I will look at the difference between running 2vm's and 3vm's ...the past 48 hours I have run 3vm's + 1 in the native os. but the behavior so far is similar to running separate machines albeit with a lower output as the buckets to be uploaded backlog for each has dropped from 300-400 to 100ish

Deadly, The reason I think a better upload will help is shown in the PFSense traffic graph...

I have 50/1.75 as settings fixed in my modem...the 16 hours average shows I am using arount 50% of the download but the upload is balls to the wall.

When, in the past, I turned off downloads to shift the backlog then I can return results at well over 100 buckets an hour.

When I turn off uploads My download average moves to 30+ meg

Conclusion: due to the requests for connection when crawling the uploading of buckets is starved of bandwidth and to be running at full speed one needs a connection that has an upload speed of at least 8% better yet 10% of download

DeadlyFire
11-22-2010, 08:41 PM
I almost let loose a brick in my pants when I saw this in my Verizon email this morning :nuts:

:eek2::eek2:

http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-releases/verizon/2010/new-verizon-fios-internet.html

http://i.imgur.com/Rfg4b.png

Also read somewhere: "Verizon tells us they're considering updating the 50 Mbps tier to 60/35 Mbps, but that they haven't yet made the official move."

Christmas has come early this year!! :wasntme: :D

DeadlyFire
12-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Thank you for contacting the Verizon eCenter. I have received your
email dated 12/1/10 regarding if we offer a speed of 150/35 Mbps for
FiOS service. My name is Jennifer, and I will be happy to assist you.

We appreciate your interest in a faster FiOS internet speed.

I apologize. We do not currently offer a speed of 150/35Mbps. The
fastest speed that we currently offer is 50/20 Mbps.

Bah. Apparently if the central office in your area isn't fitted with GPON tech and on the older BPON distribution then the highest speeds aren't available(just yet :hehe:)

Duh
12-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Are you really aiming to have 150/35Mbps ?? holy piece of pipe. you will need some really good networking gear to be able to max that, right?

OldChap
12-02-2010, 01:30 PM
He's already looking out for deals on fiber networking :D

Look out Dave your top spot is "on the line"

Duh
12-02-2010, 01:35 PM
He's already looking out for deals on fiber networking :D

yeah, he is cheating big time :P

Dave with his 30 mbit line ( which is becoming small thing nowadays) and his mkv downloadings ( IE avatar) has no chance to remain in the top 10 for much longer :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

DeadlyFire
12-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Are you really aiming to have 150/35Mbps ?? holy piece of pipe. you will need some really good networking gear to be able to max that, right?

Surprisingly not :) All you need is a good *nix or BSD based firewall and a pc to load it on and it will handle the highest network loads as good as a $10,000 Cisco :up: On my current line at max throttle I see 90,000 NAT table states which pfSense handles fine(a consumer router would DIE :p:). I'm gonna call Verizon and talk to a live person because their online vs their phone operators say different things about sale promotions/packages sometime :shrug:

He's already looking out for deals on fiber
networking :D

I'm still years away (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=user&proj=maj&name=2038) from Dave, nothing to worry about(yet :lol:)

OldChap
12-02-2010, 02:27 PM
:( the best I see just now is around 30,000

I'm looking forward to my upgrade whenever it comes ...the upload I have kills me

I have a job for you deadly, Idiots guide to multiple instances of MJ under linux on the new 1.7.0.

Once you have that cracked I would love to see just how much one quad could do :up:

Duh
12-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Surprisingly not :) All you need is a good *nix or BSD based firewall and a pc to load it on and it will handle the highest network loads as good as a $10,000 Cisco :up: On my current line at max throttle I see 90,000 NAT table states which pfSense handles fine(a consumer router would DIE :p:). I'm gonna call Verizon and talk to a live person because their online vs their phone operators say different things about sale promotions/packages sometime :shrug:

I'm still years away (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=user&proj=maj&name=2038) from Dave, nothing to worry about(yet :lol:)

In my case what dies is the f.. modem if many packets go through it ( both cablemodem and adsl). have you replaced the modem?

DeadlyFire
12-02-2010, 10:09 PM
:( the best I see just now is around 30,000

I'm looking forward to my upgrade whenever it comes ...the upload I have kills me

I have a job for you deadly, Idiots guide to multiple instances of MJ under linux on the new 1.7.0.

Once you have that cracked I would love to see just how much one quad could do :up:

I'm very curious as well. That's one of my top goals for 2011! :up: I wish I could donate some of my upload to you, pfSense shows about 4-6 Mbps total upload being used while running MJ12 full throttle and the rest of my 20Mb goes unused.

In my case what dies is the f.. modem if many packets go through it ( both cablemodem and adsl). have you replaced the modem?

Do you have cable or dsl? I know those 2 require a modem and a router(if you plan on adding a second pc). Fiber optics only requires a device called an ONT (http://i.imgur.com/ifbHt.jpg) which translates the light signal from optical to digital and then you can plug the CAT5 cord from it directly into your pc or into a router(or even a switch I believe).

Every router I received from Verizon could not handle MJ12 but a pc-based pfSense firewall(based on OpenBSD) is like comparing a Ferrari to a Lada, blows it out of the water :) Most routers/modems are incredibly underpowered(weak cpu/low memory) but then again they weren't made in mind for MJ12 :p:

Duh
12-03-2010, 12:01 AM
I'm very curious as well. That's one of my top goals for 2011! :up: I wish I could donate some of my upload to you, pfSense shows about 4-6 Mbps total upload being used while running MJ12 full throttle and the rest of my 20Mb goes unused.

Do you have cable or dsl? I know those 2 require a modem and a router(if you plan on adding a second pc). Fiber optics only requires a device called an ONT (http://i.imgur.com/ifbHt.jpg) which translates the light signal from optical to digital and then you can plug the CAT5 cord from it directly into your pc or into a router(or even a switch I believe).

Every router I received from Verizon could not handle MJ12 but a pc-based pfSense firewall(based on OpenBSD) is like comparing a Ferrari to a Lada, blows it out of the water :) Most routers/modems are incredibly underpowered(weak cpu/low memory) but then again they weren't made in mind for MJ12 :p:

your fiber makes me hate yoy . You do not even need modems , thats amazing. I have both dsl and cable. Both have modems and get stuck very often.

DeadlyFire
12-03-2010, 03:35 AM
your fiber makes me hate yoy . You do not even need modems , thats amazing. I have both dsl and cable. Both have modems and get stuck very often.

If you think I have it good ask any Scandinavian(or southeast Asian) :p: Refic can buy a 100 Mbit line for half, maybe a quarter of what I pay for my 50mb line ;) Also the thing about modems/routers is they were designed a decade ago with simple browsing/email in mind and no one saw the future of bandwidth hungry things like youtube/torrents/etc. At the time broadspeed speeds weren't that fast and it's only in the last 10(?) or so years we've gone from 56K to hundreds of Mbps :)

OldChap
12-03-2010, 06:46 AM
My modem used to freeze doing MJ 12 so I put a fan by it to try to get some more cool air through the passive cooling slots....seems to have worked so far

DeadlyFire
12-09-2010, 09:06 AM

I think I've figured out the whole process of installing nodes under linux with the help of pt, magnus and refic. I installed 5 nodes under 1 Ubuntu VM and so far they're running great(stats are crap with current data, but no crashes so far, knock on wood). 5 nodes under 1 Ubuntu VM running full power use roughly 40-60% of a Q6600. A single node in a windows VM would use around 20-25% by itself so scale-wise linux has less overhead :)

I'm gonna experiment a little more and then post a step-by-step guide on how to install and run a node under Ubuntu soon :up: After the data gets back to the very nice 85% success range I'll try running all linux nodes and see how it goes. I might even switch to linux only depending on the results :D

OldChap
12-09-2010, 09:33 AM
That's what I wanted to hear. At this time I don't really want to learn a lot about Linux I just want to be able to set up MJ and perhaps later crunching as well on other machines but my daily and laptop will likely stay on windows.

Whatever you are doing works better than mine ...I went to my machine running 2 nodes 1 as a vm and had 2 buckets open on one and 4 on the other and NoMoreUrlAavailable on both (Could handle up to 150 buckets and 250 workers ) I set up another machine non beta but there are very few buckets available on that too.

Currently crawling @ around 8 meg Download but as you may have seen I have to cap use during the day so this is probably good for that.

DeadlyFire
12-09-2010, 01:18 PM
That's what I wanted to hear. At this time I don't really want to learn a lot about Linux I just want to be able to set up MJ and perhaps later crunching as well on other machines but my daily and laptop will likely stay on windows.

Whatever you are doing works better than mine ...I went to my machine running 2 nodes 1 as a vm and had 2 buckets open on one and 4 on the other and NoMoreUrlAavailable on both (Could handle up to 150 buckets and 250 workers ) I set up another machine non beta but there are very few buckets available on that too.

Currently crawling @ around 8 meg Download but as you may have seen I have to cap use during the day so this is probably good for that.

Yea with this data it's hard to gauge how much you're crawling. In my pfSense log the traffic graph is like a roller coaster as the nodes run full speed, then run out of buckets then go back to full speed. Alex said we will get through these bad buckets in a few weeks, though it feels like forever :eh:

DeadlyFire
12-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Welcome to the team Malkec :) dobrodošli! :welcome:

DeadlyFire
01-07-2011, 09:15 PM
http://i.min.us/id1AS0.jpg

:D

OldChap
01-08-2011, 03:36 AM
Welcome to Majestic 12....

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6596/rollercoaster.jpg (http://img443.imageshack.us/i/rollercoaster.jpg/)

Duh
01-08-2011, 10:38 AM
the buckets we have a are still a POS, right?

thx

another question: how was mjs account got over refic in todays stats with way less power ( BW)? better buckets? I know the bot does not earn anything of credit

DeadlyFire
01-08-2011, 10:59 AM
the buckets we have a are still a POS, right?

thx

another question: how was mjs account got over refic in todays stats with way less power ( BW)? better buckets? I know the bot does not earn anything of credit

I think it crawls dedicated recrawl buckets only so it almost always has buckets to crawl.

Duh
01-08-2011, 11:01 AM
yep, todays output is lame to say the least.. we wont even reach the 4 TBwhen we usually do 11 TB per day

DeadlyFire
09-23-2011, 03:52 AM
[9/23/2011 7:31:54 AM] Failed to get server stats: ConnectivityProblem -- System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 212.74.41.130:80
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect(EndPoint remoteEP)
at Majestic12.ActionManager.ConnectTo(Socket oSocket, String sHost, Int32 iPort)
at Majestic12.ActionManager.SendActionViaDirectConnec t(Socket& oSocket, ActionRequest oAR, Boolean bPersist)
[9/23/2011 7:32:17 AM] Failed to get upload target due to ConnectivityProblem
[9/23/2011 7:32:17 AM] UploadManager: Server seems to be down persistently, so we will wait for at least 60 secs
[9/23/2011 7:32:39 AM] Failed to get upload target due to ConnectivityProblem
[9/23/2011 7:32:39 AM] UploadManager: Server seems to be down persistently, so we will wait for at least 60 secs
[9/23/2011 7:32:52 AM] BucketManager: Server seems to be down persistently, so we will wait for at least 60 secs
[9/23/2011 7:33:59 AM] Failed to get upload target due to ConnectivityProblem
[9/23/2011 7:33:59 AM] UploadManager: Server seems to be down persistently, so we will wait for at least 60 secs
[9/23/2011 7:34:29 AM] BucketManager: Server seems to be down persistently, so we will wait for at least 60 secs

Is the server down? I can't upload and Alex's forum isn't working for me either :confused:

DeadlyFire
10-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Very nice run today :up::up:

http://i.imgur.com/QBhVq.png http://i.imgur.com/Q46Ut.png

Movieman
10-03-2011, 02:26 PM
I noticed..Nice one!:up:
Shoot for 60 million tomorrow?:D

OldChap
10-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Easy, ..... If only I could run 24/7 :(

I've been looking at ways of running real slow during the day though, it seems the best is to drop the buckets to around 20 and migrate ...neither of which can be done automatically...Oh well

lkiller123
10-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Anyone using AT&T around here? Is the bandwidth cap imposed yet?

I've been thinking about coming back on, especially after I got uverse. But seems like there's a strict cap that caps it at 250GB. :shakes:

DeadlyFire
10-04-2011, 12:25 PM
I noticed..Nice one!:up:
Shoot for 60 million tomorrow?:D

I think that will be do-able or very very close :D

Easy, ..... If only I could run 24/7 :(

I've been looking at ways of running real slow during the day though, it seems the best is to drop the buckets to around 20 and migrate ...neither of which can be done automatically...Oh well

Mike have you checked the profiles tool? I used it a lot when I have scheduled "downloads" and it seems to work great :) Here is a sample of what might work for you:

http://i.imgur.com/4arxR.png

The profile above would activate automatically at 9 AM and turn off at 9 PM and would lower the number of workers to 30(or whatever you choose). You could also play around with the bandwidth limit percent bar but I don't know how accurate it is.

Anyone using AT&T around here? Is the bandwidth cap imposed yet?

I've been thinking about coming back on, especially after I got uverse. But seems like there's a strict cap that caps it at 250GB. :shakes:

Yeah it's BS :( Do you have any other ISPs in your area?

DeadlyFire
10-04-2011, 02:08 PM
We did it! :up::clap::clap:

(with almost 1mil to spare) :)

http://i.imgur.com/sJkJ0.png

http://i.imgur.com/3oDs2.png

OldChap
10-04-2011, 02:30 PM
What's this we business kimo sabe? (old joke)

Good work there Deadly et al. :clap:

Re: your profiles comment ... I am running that now but those all day never ending buckets don't help because if one node has less of them it can push the total usage over my "allowance" which means that I have to be somewhat conservative.....not so bad at the weekend when I am there to keep an eye on things but the best way to maximise is to migrate the nodes and drop the number of buckets. This then kills off a good bunch of the long buckets and makes for a nice bunch of fresh ones at night. Weekends at night seems to give less contention too.

If the bandwidth limiters worked, this would not be an issue but to date I have not found out what to do to make that happen.

I think we need to recruit a couple more members with 50Meg :up:

Movieman
10-04-2011, 02:48 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Nice going!
Wish I could figure out how to get more out of this line.
If Deadly can get 32 mil from 50mbit then I should be able to get more than 8-9 out of 30mbit
Is the answer VM's?
I could easily try that on Sammy as all it's doing is MJ12 and has 2gig of memory..
All I'd need is a good VM app or whatever is needed..

DeadlyFire
10-04-2011, 03:43 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Nice going!
Wish I could figure out how to get more out of this line.
If Deadly can get 32 mil from 50mbit then I should be able to get more than 8-9 out of 30mbit
Is the answer VM's?
I could easily try that on Sammy as all it's doing is MJ12 and has 2gig of memory..
All I'd need is a good VM app or whatever is needed..

That 32mil is a temporary(?) peak(usually do ~25mil/day), refic is letting me test one of his VPS nodes and that is boosting me an additional 4 mil per day :p:

VMs are definitely the key! I'm running 7 nodes(not a typo!) on one machine with a Q6600 at 3ghz. Of course it only takes 3 or 4 nodes to fill up a 50meg line so 30mb with 3-4 nodes should be very do-able. In fact, if you want to give it a try I can send the full version to you to test out :) 1 VM node takes about 5-8gig HD space(when fully up and running), about 15% of a Q6600(just over half a core) and 450-500 MB ram.

I would highly recommend getting pfsense running at 100% before trying more nodes. This is a screenshot (http://i.imgur.com/Izrqg.png) just taken with my 7 nodes running full speed and there are almost 150K connections from all the nodes or about 20K connections per node. I know that westell 9100 can hold its own but if I remember correctly it did have a limit at some point. My best advice: go pfSense and set and forget! :D

lkiller123
10-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Yeah it's BS :( Do you have any other ISPs in your area?

Only one and that's Roadrunner. :rolleyes:
I think they have a rule that only charges you once you break the limit for the third time. I will look into it and see how it goes.

Movieman
10-04-2011, 04:04 PM
That 32mil is a temporary(?) peak(usually do ~25mil/day), refic is letting me test one of his VPS nodes and that is boosting me an additional 4 mil per day :p:

VMs are definitely the key! I'm running 7 nodes(not a typo!) on one machine with a Q6600 at 3ghz. Of course it only takes 3 or 4 nodes to fill up a 50meg line so 30mb with 3-4 nodes should be very do-able. In fact, if you want to give it a try I can send the full version to you to test out :) 1 VM node takes about 5-8gig HD space(when fully up and running), about 15% of a Q6600(just over half a core) and 450-500 MB ram.

I would highly recommend getting pfsense running at 100% before trying more nodes. This is a screenshot (http://i.imgur.com/Izrqg.png) just taken with my 7 nodes running full speed and there are almost 150K connections from all the nodes or about 20K connections per node. I know that westell 9100 can hold its own but if I remember correctly it did have a limit at some point. My best advice: go pfSense and set and forget! :D
check your email

Angmaar
10-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Only one and that's Roadrunner. :rolleyes:
I think they have a rule that only charges you once you break the limit for the third time. I will look into it and see how it goes.
I think Roadrunner is unlimited or it is in my area. I've downloaded over 500GB in a month with no letters or canceling of service.

OldChap
10-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Hey Dave, Whatever you did it seems to be working.... Some nice numbers today :up: