PDA

View Full Version : can you install pc fans on a ps2?

onewingedangel
05-04-2006, 03:48 PM
Th enoise of my ps2's fan has finally sent me crazy and it has to stop. I opened it up today and cut out the plastic grill on the back, but that didn't help, so it looks like I'll have to change the fan. Is there a way to get a 70 or 80mm fan running off the ps2's fan wires? I'll remove the noisy stock fan and mount the fan on the outside of the ps2 exhaust so size isn't an issue, but powering it obviously is the question. Can I just attach a normal 80mm pc fans wires to the current fans wires?

Anarki
05-04-2006, 11:46 PM
I would of thought you would of needed to know how many amps the PS2 fan and PC fan drains. If the PC fan drains a lot more amps than the PS2 fan, then you may not be able to do it.

Jarrod1937
05-11-2006, 03:03 AM
or you could do what i did. i hooked up a fan by external power that plugs into the wall, i used a transformer to cutdown the power first of course. however you can hook up a small fan directly to the original power, but you may need to do some soldering if it isn't getting enough power.

amd4me
05-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Get a silent fan and and an external power supply.
Like the ones they sell at Xoxide.com

krylon
05-21-2006, 09:53 AM
Or sell the thing on Ebay and pick up the PS2 Slim. :D SVC.com sells a lot of different sized fans, you might find one there to replace with the stock size.