PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a radiator

young-blood
05-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Hey, just joined this place the other day.. anyways, I've been looking at radiators and I've come to the conclusion that I don't know what the hell I want. My setup is a 0608MPMW oc'd to near-3ghz, a 6800gt oc'd with a vmod, SmartPower 2.0 500w, and a Thermaltake Sviking Case (the important stuff for wcing). Considering the size of my case, I'm not all too interested in finding something that will fit inside as that will be asking for lackluster performance. I've looked at the Thermochill's, BIP and BIX's, MCR220's, etc... I'm looking for max performance at a lower price. The 1-3c difference is going to be important to me as well.

I have considered getting a car rad similar to the one that the one guy posted (sorry I don't remember your name - but it's a Japanese racing rad and it's awesome :cool: ). I'm looking now at a C&R aluminum rad with a Visteon core. I think it looks superb. And I quote, "This one measures 26" wide, 18-1/2" tall, it has a standard 1-1/2" hose upper fitting and standard 1-3/4" lower hose". How would I go about modding it to fit a 1/2"?

The rest of my future setup should include:

Swiftech Storm or MP-05 Pro LE
Maze4 Acetal GPU
Iwaki MD-20RZG-2 or D5 or DDC-Ultra
1/2" tubing
Barbs, AFB Delta's, etc

Help, opinions...whatever you guys can give me. :D

Jeff

creidiki
05-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Alu = Bad, avoid like the plague.

Basic question. What kinf of CFM fannage are you gonna use?

young-blood
05-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Alu = Bad, avoid like the plague.

Basic question. What kinf of CFM fannage are you gonna use?

I understand copper is superior in that department. I looked around on eBay at the radiators and all of them appeared to be alu. Maybe I'm missing something.

The Delta's are 130cfm, 120x38's. I have plenty of them.

creidiki
05-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Its that, but its also the fact that alu corrodes, and forces you to use additives. Which will prevent most of it, but you have to regularly change liquid, etc...

Really, unless theres no alternative, youre better off with copper/brass.

How about a monstercore? Its a 4x 120mm heatercore.

sdkevin
05-04-2006, 03:32 PM
instead looking at fleabay, take a look at Danger Den you will find everything you need there at low price especially on Black Ice Radiators

WC Annihilus
05-04-2006, 04:09 PM
You're thinking of Zenjirou and his Koyo rad. Here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-89-90-91-CIVIC-CRX-KOYO-HIGH-FLOW-RADIATOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33602QQitemZ80 60680764QQtcZphoto

creidiki
05-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Need a monster pump to go with it though, didnt he just get an MD-30 for it?

young-blood
05-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Its that, but its also the fact that alu corrodes, and forces you to use additives. Which will prevent most of it, but you have to regularly change liquid, etc...

Really, unless theres no alternative, youre better off with copper/brass.

How about a monstercore? Its a 4x 120mm heatercore.

Whoa, didn't even know that. Thanks for the tip. :)

A monstercore ay? I just did a search around the forums and read these are supposedly better performing than PA120's. Would they perform well under say 80cfm? I do plan on running the fans full throttle under load but I'm wanting to know how well they do when not being stressed. I have a Sunbeam Rheo so I'm already good to go on noise control.

Looking at it on voyeurmods. Looks nice ! The painted black color has no affect on temps right? I thought I heard that from somewhere.

creidiki
05-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Yeah, copper + alu in the same loop = galvanic corrosion... basicaly a crude battery. Anodizing prevents it for a couple of months, and corrision prevention liquids are common and work pretty well, but obv if you do without its better.

Well, monstercore performs so well because its so friggin' huge. I mean, it takes 4 120mm fans per side, have fun finding a place to put it :P

With a good shroud and good 38mm fans it should give you good temps even running your fans at say 5-7v. Obv youll want to turn them up when stressing, but with an AMD cpu and a single VGA i doubt youll ever have to run them @ 12v to keep the temps acceptable.

Youll want a good pump for it because its size makes it restrctive, as you might well imagine. Any of those you mentioned will do the trick eminently... possibly 2x top-inleted DDC-1+ in series would be the pinnacle here, its a little overkill, but then so is a monstercore for 2 blocks.

phelan1777
05-04-2006, 04:54 PM
What is the RAD being talked about, a Monstercore?

I read over the thread, googled "monstercore/Monster core" with little luck.

Is it an auto core, just used for PC's?

WC Annihilus
05-04-2006, 04:56 PM
It's a heatercore that fits 4 fans (a square): http://www.voyeurmods.com/index.php?action=item&id=1701&prevaction=category&previd=2&prevstart=0

young-blood
05-04-2006, 05:16 PM
So then it's overkill?? If there a cheaper suggestion that you think wouldn't be wasteful for my setup? Headroom is cool to have but it sounds to me like this rad may be almost too powerful for the job. Kind of why I went to looking at car rads because I might be able to save money and go passive, or near that.

EDIT: just found some similar ones to Zenjirou's (sp). Copper/Brass. Looks beautiful. It would be cheaper (shipped) than a monstercore also. They're all over eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-87-88-89-ACCORD-KOYO-HI-FLOW-NEW-RADIATOR-JDM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33730QQitemZ8060202 890QQrdZ1

creidiki
05-04-2006, 05:19 PM
this is xtremesystems, overkill is what we do... :lol:

*shrug* i cool my system with a dual PA. HWLabs BIP II, Swiftech MCR220-QP and Coolrads 22-T should be able to do just as well.

Jab-Tech will sell you a BIP III for 50 bucks... 35 bucks or so will get your a double heatercore, premodde for 1/2 barbs... then there's BIXes and HEs.

The mostercore is overkill, sure, but it all depends on what you want from a rad, what amount of noise you consider acceptable, and how hot your summers get. Where I am, in sunny scotland, when temps reach 26c we have all-century high temps. So I dont need much headroom at all :)

[XC] MarioMaster
05-04-2006, 05:21 PM
shouldn't a car radiator have a low flow resistance? i can't imagine why you'd need a super huge pump

creidiki
05-04-2006, 05:27 PM
because its BIG. tubing = restriction. Lots of tubing = lots of restriction.

young-blood
05-04-2006, 05:45 PM
this is xtremesystems, overkill is what we do... :lol:

*shrug* i cool my system with a dual PA. HWLabs BIP II, Swiftech MCR220-QP and Coolrads 22-T should be able to do just as well.

Jab-Tech will sell you a BIP III for 50 bucks... 35 bucks or so will get your a double heatercore, premodde for 1/2 barbs... then there's BIXes and HEs.

The mostercore is overkill, sure, but it all depends on what you want from a rad, what amount of noise you consider acceptable, and how hot your summers get. Where I am, in sunny scotland, when temps reach 26c we have all-century high temps. So I dont need much headroom at all :)

Summers here can get downright hot and muggy, but central air conditioning is a godsend. ;) I'm sure temps will never reach much higher than what you said, 26c. On cooler nights the windows open.

I don't mind overkill, really. I just want something that's going to give me the best temps possible...the very best. :cool: I want my rad to laugh at my oc'd ccb1e and beg for more. It's really quite satisfying to me. But I'm a cost-effective shopper and I obsessively weigh my options. :D

I am liking those Koyo rads, though. Whoever knew a hunk of metal could be so desirable?

So now I've narrowed it down to a MC220 (is the 320 that much better?), BIX3, monstercore or a Koyo copper/brass rad. The PA was my first choice but if I can get more performance for less buck, I'll do it anyday.

creidiki
05-04-2006, 06:00 PM
You wont get better performance than a PA with sub-100CFM fans. Swifty MCR-QP and Coolrads T-Series are a good alternative in the USA though, with the violence the exchange rate does to PA prices. Double or triple, thats up to you. If you have the space for a triple, the extra cash isnt generally much, so Id go for triple. JUst FYI, my load temps with IHS on are 39c with fans @ like 9v on 20c ambient... for what its worth considering the imprecision of onboard sensors.

Then you have 100CFM+ rads - BIX, HE and Cores. Quad-core with a good shroud should be just as good if not better than triple purpose made. Its a downright biotch to mount tho, i wouldnt know where to start. But then again, im case-mod allergic.

And then you have car rads like that monster zenjirou has.... poor guy had to buy an MD-30 just to have some flow through it though, and like 24 fans. If you feel like doing that, it should be quite impressive... not a project for the faint of heart though, and what you save on rad youll end up spending on pump & fans.

young-blood
05-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Ouch. Well, I guess I'll have to avoid the big car rad if it needs that much pressure to work. Monstercore sounds pretty good. Price is pretty steep though. Guess you gotta pay for quality.. It would be nice also for the peace of mind knowing that if I want to add more components it would still cool pretty well.

Yeah, the exchange rate def. is too bad. I wish they were widely available in the U.S. (I'd get one).

I'd comment on your temps, but how much voltage and clock are you running through that Opty? These CCB1E's run a few degrees hotter so really that's why the few degrees are paramount on my way to 3ghz. I still haven't stabilized that yet and I'm hoping to do it on water.

creidiki
05-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Well, they are... voyeurmods, jab-tech and dangerden stock thermochill rads. Trouble is the 100$+ a pop.

As for the mostercore, please wait for someone with more direct experience in cores to comment on it. I try to help as best as I can, but I cant in all honesty guarantee the quality of that VM quad - i lack the experience in cores. I cant foresee any problems with it, but i dont know the specifics or if there is a better option.

young-blood
05-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Well, they are... voyeurmods, jab-tech and dangerden stock thermochill rads. Trouble is the 100$+ a pop.

As for the mostercore, please wait for someone with more direct experience in cores to comment on it. I try to help as best as I can, but I cant in all honesty guarantee the quality of that VM quad - i lack the experience in cores. I cant foresee any problems with it, but i dont know the specifics or if there is a better option.

Ok, let me correct myself: I wish they were manufactured in the U.S. ;)

Thanks for being honest with me. I mean it's only a matter of time before someone else comes in here and helps out. Right? lol :stick:

Appreciate your help so far. Anyways, you never told me how high your 0550 is clocking nowadays..?

creidiki
05-04-2006, 07:30 PM
dude, i only popped it into this mobo *counts on fingers* 8 hours ago.

i havent had time to oc it at all. gave it a quick run @ 2.5 but im back down to 2.0 because i cant afford :banana::banana::banana::banana:ups while im debugging :)

young-blood
05-04-2006, 07:45 PM
dude, i only popped it into this mobo *counts on fingers* 8 hours ago.

i havent had time to oc it at all. gave it a quick run @ 2.5 but im back down to 2.0 because i cant afford :banana::banana::banana::banana:ups while im debugging :)

All work and no play! Sheesh. I spend so much time messing with my setup that I hardly have time to enjoy it. If I had a software fling I'd be spending unhealthy hours on this thing (not that they're healthy as it is).

creidiki
05-04-2006, 07:51 PM
heh. i try to get all my work done before the weekend, so i can spend the weekend doing what i like best - absolutely nothing productive whatsoever :D

gonna pop it back up to 2.5 later and let it burn in while im sleeping, hopefully its a candidate for 2.9GHz :)

WC Annihilus
05-04-2006, 07:59 PM
You know we're all rooting for you Crei :D Anyways, I personally would get the Koyo cause you can run that thing completely passive (or do what he did, buy 25 deltas for $54 shipped) ;) But yes, you would need a powerful pump (and yes, Zenj did just get himself a MD30. maybe you could buy his old MD20 off of him :D)

young-blood
05-04-2006, 08:20 PM
You know we're all rooting for you Crei :D Anyways, I personally would get the Koyo cause you can run that thing completely passive (or do what he did, buy 25 deltas for $54 shipped) ;) But yes, you would need a powerful pump (and yes, Zenj did just get himself a MD30. maybe you could buy his old MD20 off of him :D)

Heh, yeah! 25 deltas? LMAO...as long as they are very low speed with little whine.. I'd rather buy a couple big 24v 160mm+ Sanyo's or whatever you can find cheap... make a nice shroud and watch those baby's go. The Koyo is really nice, though. I will have to ask Zenj about his rad and if he got it from the same dealer ;)

young-blood
05-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Anyone else have any input they can give? I'd love to hear at least a few more opinions :banana: