PDA

View Full Version : The right tires for my ride

OmegaMerc
05-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Hey guys, im looking for the right tires for my car, its a Nissan Altima 3.5L 2005 (17" stock wheels). Can you guys recommend me a set? Im at 15k miles with it and the front tires are near gone. Im looking to get the widest possible for my car, a good speed rating, and a (if possible) nice thread design pattern, im particularly fond of the "V" pattern.

Delirious
05-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Have you check out www.tirerack.com, the site is easy to use and has lots of user feedback on most all the tires they sell.

These seem to very nice. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+G+009&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=16HR6G009

OmegaMerc
05-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Have you check out www.tirerack.com, the site is easy to use and has lots of user feedback on most all the tires they sell.

These seem to very nice. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+G+009&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=16HR6G009

Was just surfing that as you posted, Looks like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 235/50 seem to offer the best of all worlds. A bit expensive though :(

sluflyer06
05-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Was just surfing that as you posted, Looks like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 235/50 seem to offer the best of all worlds. A bit expensive though :(

Those are my top rated All Season tire, i've used them on FWD RWD and AWD cars and they are fantastic in dry/wet/snow.

if you live somewhere where it doesn't snow you can't beat the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 which i used on my BMW and my previous FWS turbo car....those tires are sick in dry/wet but offer no winter weather ability.

Next best to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S would be the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S which handle very well in all weather conditions. I've also had experience with these.

for reference in my opinion on tires my driving style is: Extremely Agressive and all my cars have/are moderate to highly modified.

OmegaMerc
05-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Those are my top rated All Season tire, i've used them on FWD RWD and AWD cars and they are fantastic in dry/wet/snow.

if you live somewhere where it doesn't snow you can't beat the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 which i used on my BMW and my previous FWS turbo car....those tires are sick in dry/wet but offer no winter weather ability.

Next best to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S would be the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S which handle very well in all weather conditions. I've also had experience with these.

for reference in my opinion on tires my driving style is: Extremely Agressive and all my cars have/are moderate to highly modified.

Good to know, im in Long Island, theres snow/ice/water/dry pavement all the time. Driving style is aggressive, but no mods on this car. Question, would I have to find a no name shop for them to mount these tires for me? I doubt the shops that sell the tires would mount them for me if I buy em from somewhere else.

How's wear on the tire? More then just 15,000 miles? :)

sluflyer06
05-02-2006, 06:30 PM
both the Pilot Sport A/S and the Pirelli should last you at least 20K miles even with agressive driving possibly more. the PS2's with agressive driving can last at little as 12K depending on how much you rape it.

Any shop that can mount a tire will do it even if you don't buy it from them...they really don't care...I get tires from tirerack mounted all the time at tire places that sell tires....you can go to any of the big chains and they won't mind...money is money.

OmegaMerc
05-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Any better prices then tirerack? Shipping price sucks!

sluflyer06
05-02-2006, 08:26 PM
not sure.....i always order form them....how does shipping suck? I've ordered multiple sets of wheel/tire packages from them and shipping is only usually 38 bucks to either Florida or missouri.

Remember tires weigh approx. 20-25lbs./each.

Celeron Gamer
05-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Michelin Pilots are awesome, but they do cost crazy in my area

Delirious
05-03-2006, 03:31 AM
Ive ordered from them numbers of times, when u think about what they are shipping the prices arent that bad, tires are large and bulky.

Look around locally for those tires and see how much they would cost, can probably garauntee they wont be cheaper even with the shipping.

Soulburner
05-03-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm running Nitto NT555's up front on my ride and they are the best tire i've ever run...at 275/40/17 they were ~$160/tire.

dippyskoodlez
05-03-2006, 01:44 PM
wow.. lol... $160/tire... ugh..

i just got a whole new set for mine and they were $38(per tire) lol

Hooray for employee discounts!! :D

Soulburner
05-03-2006, 02:03 PM
wow.. lol... $160/tire... ugh..

i just got a whole new set for mine and they were $38(per tire) lol

Hooray for employee discounts!! :D
Size makes a big difference in price. My rear 555R Drag Radials are 315/35/17 ;)

TheDude
05-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Another vote for Michelin Pilots.....I have run only Michelin tires for the last 30 years and have no regrets!
:toast:

Rippthrough
05-10-2006, 05:40 AM
T1-R's are the new version, stiffer sidewall, better wet weather grip, lose out a tiny bit in the dry to T1-S's, but last twice as long.
I also like Yoko A539 for their dry grip + steering feel, and Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's for their all round grip (although they don't have the steering feedback of either of the other two).

sluflyer06
05-10-2006, 08:04 AM
what is the rating on the T1-R....alot of performance tires are Y instead of Z.....which is 186mph neways...unless its lower than that

Holst
05-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Im running Toyo TR1-R on my car and im very happy with them.

Good in the dry but very very good in the wet, which is more important IMO as its pretty dangerous to drive fast enough to push them in the dry (except traction with FWD)

Goodyear eagle F1 v3 are also very good.